Wanderers of the Realms: A TGA Community Living Wishlist

Yeled

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Runicmadhamster said:

I agree, 3+ to hit for Glade Guard bows is essential. I would even be ok with a small points increase for that upgrade

Ludicrous suggestion! :D

Empire Handgunners have -1 rend and are 20pts cheaper for the same number of shots. They could give us rend and +1 to hit and keep the same points

With regards to Waystrider buff, I don't see it as missing a turn as all you would miss is a possible 9" charge and the Waystrider's shooting.  Other than that both units would just sit there as targesst.  If they're not on the board your opponent can't target them and also knows they will appear and can move in your next turn, but not where.  You wouldn't be able to put mystic shield or shield of thorns on them, but what you get is the ability to get your WWR, or any other unit, into position without incurring losses.  I thought it fitted the Wanderer's modus operandi quite well without being over-powerful.  More of a finesse move than a sledgehammer. Hope that explains my reasoning behind the idea.  If I've overlooked something obvious let me know as I don't always see the wood for the trees!

7 hours ago, Nubgan said:

Ludicrous suggestion! :D

Empire Handgunners have -1 rend and are 20pts cheaper for the same number of shots. They could give us rend and +1 to hit and keep the same points

Handgunners make me sad, what with their stand and shoot.

The first time i faced the Freeguild, and found out the could stand and shoot, but we couldnt, i was unimpressed. I also lost the game, but i am sure thats unrelated. 

Any other thoughts on heroes? I'm beginning to formulate what I personally think should happen in my head, and can do a write up I suppose, but I don't want to make this my wishlist. I'd rather it come from the larger group.

Overall, I think Spellweaver, Nomad Prince, and Waywatcher Lord can mostly stay as is. The only thing I might change is that I would like to see each of the non-spellcasting heroes, including Waystrider and Wayfinder, have an ability that synergizes with other units outside of their command ability. I want each to be useful in an army and if their only buffing abilities are command abilities then we're disincentivized from using some of them once we pick our general.  That said, I don't want to make them too powerful, and one option is to tie synergies on the unit side rather than the hero side.

In my head, the non-spellcasting heroes look like this:

• Nomad Prince - Strongest in combat, useful in the middle of a formation, command ability supports all units, could add ability to buff EG
  • Waystrider - Aggressive unit that should buff quick strike close combat teams...could use @Aelfric's suggestion or similar.
  • Wayfinder - Ranged unit used mostly to buff Realm Wanderers teleporting ability...not sure how yet, but the name Wayfinder is perfect for letting the ability do something it otherwise couldn't.
  • Waywatcher - Strongest at range, buffs archers, command ability is defensive and designed to keep archers safe at range.

7 hours ago, Yeled said:

Any other thoughts on heroes? I'm beginning to formulate what I personally think should happen in my head, and can do a write up I suppose, but I don't want to make this my wishlist. I'd rather it come from the larger group.

Overall, I think Spellweaver, Nomad Prince, and Waywatcher Lord can mostly stay as is. The only thing I might change is that I would like to see each of the non-spellcasting heroes, including Waystrider and Wayfinder, have an ability that synergizes with other units outside of their command ability. I want each to be useful in an army and if their only buffing abilities are command abilities then we're disincentivized from using some of them once we pick our general.  That said, I don't want to make them too powerful, and one option is to tie synergies on the unit side rather than the hero side.

In my head, the non-spellcasting heroes look like this:

• Nomad Prince - Strongest in combat, useful in the middle of a formation, command ability supports all units, could add ability to buff EG
  • Waystrider - Aggressive unit that should buff quick strike close combat teams...could use @Aelfric's suggestion or similar.
  • Wayfinder - Ranged unit used mostly to buff Realm Wanderers teleporting ability...not sure how yet, but the name Wayfinder is perfect for letting the ability do something it otherwise couldn't.
  • Waywatcher - Strongest at range, buffs archers, command ability is defensive and designed to keep archers safe at range.

I think on Heroes there just needs to be an actual choice, like everyone has suggested, just spicing up the abilities a bit.  Could there be like a Tracer arrow buff from one of them to give a unit either rend or to hit for things that shoot at the same target? And on your suggestion to the Nomad Prince, I think even being able to pile in or moving half distance in a shield wall to keep there buff would be amazing, because even piling in breaks that buff which is dumb given how combat works.

I also feel hard done by that we have nothing with more wounds than a small a child. Bring back the Lord on Great Stag? Give us the Forest Dragon or a Giant ass Eagle/Hawk thing? I just feel like none of our heroes are particularly safe or resilient if they aren't stood in or behind scenery. Perhaps make them harder to hit rather than a decent save, ignore rend due to 'dodging'?

10 hours ago, Nubgan said:

I think on Heroes there just needs to be an actual choice, like everyone has suggested, just spicing up the abilities a bit.  Could there be like a Tracer arrow buff from one of them to give a unit either rend or to hit for things that shoot at the same target? And on your suggestion to the Nomad Prince, I think even being able to pile in or moving half distance in a shield wall to keep there buff would be amazing, because even piling in breaks that buff which is dumb given how combat works.

I also feel hard done by that we have nothing with more wounds than a small a child. Bring back the Lord on Great Stag? Give us the Forest Dragon or a Giant ass Eagle/Hawk thing? I just feel like none of our heroes are particularly safe or resilient if they aren't stood in or behind scenery. Perhaps make them harder to hit rather than a decent save, ignore rend due to 'dodging'?

These are great ideas. I especially like the tracer arrow. Something like "If a Waywatcher wounds a target unit during the shooting phase, other Wanderer units get a +1 to hit that same target until the end of the shooting phase."

As for the Nomad Prince, are you thinking something like this: "EG within  x" of the Nomad Prince may pile in during the combat phase and still maintain their fortress of boughs ability"?

For the Wayfinder, you could have a buff that allows it and other units the ability to set up wholly within 9" of the board edge rather than 6" when using "Realm Wanderers", as long as they are within 6" of the Wayfinder both when they leave the board and when they set up( the same Wayfinder, just to be clear).  This would represent their ability to find the easier and quicker routes through the hidden paths and lead others along those paths.  Would still need to be more than 9" from enemy, but offers a little more flexibility, especially for missile troops to get into range of targets.

1 hour ago, Yeled said:

As for the Nomad Prince, are you thinking something like this: "EG within  x" of the Nomad Prince may pile in during the combat phase and still maintain their fortress of boughs ability"?

You could call it maintaining discipline or something, where the Prince is barking orders and coordinating the troops.

These are all really good. Another idea for the Waystrider: We've discussed the idea that Wyldwood Rangers need something to make their points more worthwhile. What if the Waystrider can pick a unit of Wyldwood Rangers within 6" or 9" or something during the combat phase and confer upon them their D3 damage characteristic when fighting non-monster units?

Draft write up for Heroes. Please comment, add, criticize, adjust.

Suggestions Concerning Existing, Non-Hero Units

Heroes are one area where the Wanderers are clearly deficient. This is not because the Heroes aren't good units (though we have nothing with more than five wounds and 6" move), but because outside of command abilities they have no way to synergize with other Wanderer units. The Waywatcher -> Wayfinder -> Waystrider -> Nomad Prince paradigm is one of gradual movement from elite archer to elite combat fighter with stages in between. As a result the two middle stages--Wayfinder and Waystrider--have no real role in the army. The Waywatcher and Nomad Prince are simply deemed superior at what they do. Additionally, because they do not buff our troops outside the command abilities and their command abilities are deemed inferior to those of the Waywatcher and Nomad Prince, the two middle heroes are seldom if ever employed in a Wanderer or Order army.

Perhaps more importantly, this lack of buffing and synergy from our heroes leaves Wanderers at a decided disadvantage compared to many other factions and contributes to the choice of many Wanderer players to abandon the Wanderer allegiance in favor of mixed Order. A quick glance at the Let's Chat Wanderers thread will show numerous attempts to win pitched battle games with the Wanderer allegiance, with major losses occurring almost every time. The Wanderers lack the ability to take and hold objectives. Heroes are not the only reason for this, but their lack of buffing means that abandoning the allegiance and the Wanderer models in favor of units that do confer buffs has been a major strategy Wanderers players have had to employ in order to be competitive in matched play style of game.

Because of all the above, the Wanderer players on the TGA Community recommend the following two base strategies concerning Heroes:

1. Every Wanderer hero should have buffs or other unit synergies that are not tied to it's Command Ability to make them more useful even when they are not the general;
  2. Every Wanderer hero should have a clearly defined battlefield role based on its non-Command Ability abilities.

We suggest that the existing paradigm of elite archer to elite fighter be enhanced with clear battlefield roles as follows:

Heroes

Waywatcher. The elite archer is probably the favored hero of the Wanderer faction and is a unit that makes it into most Wanderer and Wanderer-themed mixed-order games. There is not a lot to adjust here. This is simply a good unit. However, the Waywatcher should further solidify his sniper/elite archer role through the following:

• The Waywatcher could be the unit most employed to lead small bands of teleporting archers, and this should be encouraged via its abilities to buff archers and archer units. Many of the suggestions on archer units above have been about making them more elite. This could be accomplished via the Waywatcher through buffing during the shooting phase.
    • One excellent suggestion made by the community is that the Waywatcher could act as a leader and coordinator of archer units as reflected through a Tracer Arrow concept. The rule could be something like: "If any Waywatcher wounds a target unit during the shooting phase, other Wanderer units get a +1 to hit that same target until the end of the shooting phase."
    • Alternatively, the Waywatcher could confer some kind of MW or rend capability on nearby archers via the mechanic above or simply by being nearby.
  • Please remove the not moving trigger that confers the +1 to hit in favor of another trigger. This is another example of the warscrolls not matching the new paradigm of teleporting troops and penalizing us when we use our new allegiance abilities. The +1 to hit could trigger in other ways such as in the shooting phase of the turn in which the waywatcher teleported, when the waywatcher is in cover, when the waywatcher is near a unit of Glade Guard and/or Sisters of the Watch, etc.

Wayfinder. The 75% archer, 25% fighter as currently constituted has no real place on the battlefield. Yes, the Hail of Doom arrow is nice, but not enough to make up for his disadvantage compared to the Waywatcher. At the same time, the Wayfinder name practically screams Realm Wanderer teleport buffer. This unit could easily be turned into a movement buffer, capable of leading the teleporting Wanderers in ways they couldn't do without him.

• Make the Wayfinder a teleport buffer. Allow him to enhance that ability. The Wayfinder should be a beacon and guide on the hidden paths, with knowledge of quicker routes that open up in unexpected places. Some suggestions of how this might be implemented:
    • When using the Realm Wanderers allegiance ability, the Wayfinder and all Wanderer units within 6" of him can leave the board and set up within 9" or 12" inches of the table edge, rather than the usual 6". 
    • When using the Realm Wanderers allegiance ability, the Wayfinder and all Wanderer units within 6" of him when he teleports from the table edge can set up wholly within 6" of a piece of scenery in addition to the edge of the table.
    • When using the Realm Wanderers allegiance ability, the Wayfinder and one additional unit within 6" of him can leave the board and and return as normal. However, this does not count as either unit's move, and both units may either move as normal or use an ability that requires that the unit stand still.
  • The command ability is too limited. Consider enhancing it. Perhaps it allows nearby Wanderers to use his Bravery and, should any archer unit be required to make a battleshock test that unit can immediately shoot as if were the shooting phase. The requirement that we roll a 1 is just too limited. Frankly even with this ability I'd never make him my general. 

Waystrider. The Waystrider is a combat fighter with some range. Make him the leader of our quick strike close combat units such as the Wyldwood Rangers.

• Buff our combat abilities with this unit. Some suggestions:
    • Pick a Wanderer unit within 12". That unit gets a +1 to hit in the Combat phase.
    • The Draich's of Wyldwood Ranger units within 9" of the Waystrider do D3 damage regardless of whether the target is a monster.
    • You could allow the Waystrider to allow a unit to move after teleporting. See the suggestion above for Wayfinder.
  • The Heartseeker Arrow is a useless ability. 33% of the time it does 1 MW, after which it never again takes affect. How about making it happen every turn but requiring a 6+, or dropping it altogether in favor of something else? Maybe the Waystrider could simply do MW's with its Longbow on rolls of 6+.
  • As with the Wayfinder, the Waystrider command ability is useless. Please enhance to make it a viable choice in our army.

Nomad Prince. The Nomad Prince is almost always our choice for our general due to it's ability to allow nearby units to reroll hit rolls of 1 regardless of combat phase. This, plus it's outstanding combat profile and 2" range makes this the superior unit to include in a gunline or group of teleporting troops. The Nomad Prince plays the role of strategic leader in our Wanderer armies. Not a lot has to change with this unit, but consider enhancing this key role as follows:

• Allow the Nomad Prince to buff the one defense we have against strong units hitting our units: Eternal Guard. If the EG are going to need to stand still to use Fortress of Boughs, allow the Nomad Prince to mitigate this limitation in some way. Justify it by staying that the Nomad Prince can better coordinate these key troops. Here are some ideas:
    • EG within 6" of the Nomad Prince during the Combat phase may pile in even while maintaining their Fortress of Boughs ability.
    • EG within 6" of the Nomad Prince may move (but not run) and still employ their Fortress of Boughs ability.
    • Pick a unit of EG within 12" of the Nomad Prince. Enemy units cannot move within 6" of that unit of EG during their movement phase unless they charge.

Spellweaver. To come

This wishlist has been a good generator of ideas for the future of the Wanderers in terms of their units and abilities on the field and I hope that GW will look at them. I also think that we need to impress upon GW the importance of maintaining the faction within the larger Age of Sigmar world view into the future and give them reasons to want to give some more love to the Wanderers.  To this end I want to say, as briefly as possible, how I see The Wanderers in the new age and give my reasons why I think they deserve to play a role in Age of Sigmar going forward.

"When the old world was wrought asunder by the forces of Chaos, the Land was fractured into many Realms, each of which has manifested a dominant aspect from the world-that-was, be it fire, water, light,earth or even life and death.  Yet each realm still contains the aspects of the others to a lesser degree and needs this interaction for their survival; else each would consume itself and become barren.  It is, I believe, the Realmgates that allow this flow of different energies between the realms and their continued existence; and what creates and maintains these gates is, I believe, the Ley lines that survived the Cataclysm.  

All of the Races, throughout the Realms of all allegiances, bar one, have one thing in common - they seek the dominance of their society and beliefs over all others.  The exception is The Wanderers.  They understand that although there are many realms, there is only one Land and the Land is dying.  And they have taken upon themselves the task of strengthening those Ley lines that are the Arteries of all that exists, each waystone laid strengthening existing connections and encouraging new ones, slowly drawing the disparate elements of the Land back together, re-knitting the whole.  They do not, as others think, do this to push out Chaos but to restore balance, a subtle difference that only the Wanderers appear to understand.  Without their dedication and determination to this cause, the Realms would drift apart and all would cease to be."

This is why, to me, The Wanderers are an important faction and need the support we ask for. 

@Aelfric, I like that description. I keep thinking I want them to be more wild and fae. Sylvaneth have the angry nature thing down, so Wanderers can be a force of Order removed from civilization. Not savage, for they have culture all their own, but a bit more alien and removed from society that other forces of Order enjoy.

Thank you, @Yeled. They do have a feel of the Fae to them.  I see them as followers of Animism rather than druidic in their philosophy.  They are more connected to the world around them than the other races and this sets them apart as an enigma.  The air of mystery is part of what I love about the Wanderers.  We'll just have to do our best to keep them alive. As you say, of all the Aelves (so far), Wanderers fit most comfortably into Age of Sigmar and I hope that they will continue to do so.  It's great that you have set this up and It's been good to see all the ideas that have flowed in.  I have yet to try out the new abilities yet, but have a local 1500 point tourney at the end of the month so looking forward to that. I'm trying to get in the mindset of the Spanish during the Peninsula wars and trying to erase standard battle tactics - a whole new approach!

Avatar of the Hunt type hero needs to come back (perhaps with a new model) and if we keep the same stats he/she needs to be cheaper to be competitive as a mid range monster. They also have to buff wild riders to make them more resilient and hitty. Grants nearby Wild Riders with Re-roll failed charges, extra attacks on charge and immune to battle shock just like before. I loved that aspect of the 8th Ed Wood Elf book. We had multiple strategies and army builds to choose from so your opponent couldn't construct a list to be overpowered against the obvious choice ie Gun line or Pathfinders etc.

Ideas for Ambush triggers/mechanics:

A Wayfinder Hero making units able to teleport via scenery And charge in the same turn ticks the ambush ability well but I'm sure folks will says it's too powerful - if limited to weak troops (we have lots to choose from) it won't matter in my opinion :D 

Or reserve wanderer units like Sylvaneth do in hidden enclaves and if an enemy units go near terrain in the move phase wanderers in reserve can be deployed in the charge phase of the enemies turn and attempt a charge measuring from the edge of the terrain.

Or in the wanderer players Hero phase or beginning of the enemy's Shooting phase a hidden(reserved) wanderer unit can deploy in that terrain and shoot at a nearby unit.

All options are only if no enemy within 3" of the terrain at the start of their move or on it. If moving onto the terrain or within 3" they are stopped by the ambush at 3" away. 

1 hour ago, WABBIT said:

Avatar of the Hunt type hero needs to come back (perhaps with a new model) and if we keep the same stats he/she needs to be cheaper to be competitive as a mid range monster. They also have to buff wild riders to make them more resilient and hitty. Grants nearby Wild Riders with Re-roll failed charges, extra attacks on charge and immune to battle shock just like before. I loved that aspect of the 8th Ed Wood Elf book. We had multiple strategies and army builds to choose from so your opponent could construct a list to be overpowered against the obvious choice ie Gun line or Pathfinders etc.

Ideas for Ambush triggers/mechanics:

A Wayfinder Hero making units able to teleport via scenery And charge in the same turn ticks the ambush ability well but I'm sure folks will says it's too powerful - if limited to weak troops (we have lots to choose from) it won't matter in my opinion :D 

Or reserve wanderer units like Sylvaneth do in hidden enclaves and if an enemy units go near terrain in the move phase wanderers in reserve can be deployed in the charge phase of the enemies turn and attempt a charge measuring from the edge of the terrain.

Or in the wanderer players Hero phase or beginning of the enemy's Shooting phase a hidden(reserved) wanderer unit can deploy in that terrain and shoot at a nearby unit.

All options are only if no enemy within 3" of the terrain at the start of their move or on it. If moving onto the terrain or within 3" they are stopped by the ambush at 3" away. 

I totally agree we need to either bring back or add in new heroes and units. Personally I don't necessarily feel they need to be all the units we lost. They could be new. But a mix of older concepts like Avatar of the Hunt and newer concepts more tied to the AoS setting would be ideal. I 100 percent agree with you that we need a hero to buff Wild Riders, and that hero is not among the existing Wanderer heroes. That's part of the reason I've avoided buffing them with the heroes we have.

Regarding your ideas for the Wayfinder, I love the ambush/trigger concept. I definitely want to add your suggestions to the write up. I wonder, do you think the ambush guy should be the Wayfinder or the Waystrider?

41 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

I mean Why would GW want to stop me using these! I just finished painting some of them! My wild riders are base coated and ready for highlights. I have 20 of them plus 5 really old ones somewhere.

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

IMG_5402.jpg

Yeah, those are great. I know you're still highlighting your Wild Riders but they look fantastic even without that extra step. And I love your converted spellweaver on purebred steed. I was about to convert something similar until they updated the compendium. Still going to finish my Glade Lord on Great Stag proxying in a Thunderwolf to be the stag.

After we finish the write up on existing heroes, I want to do a section on suggestions for new units and heroes. I think we'll be able to talk about how some old units could be brought back in a refreshed form, as well as some potential new units that fill important roles in the new army.

Thanks Mate, I painted them a long time ago super fast for a few games during 8th Ed times. I shelved them when AoS arrived and got them out recently after reading Tidings suggestions on wanderer tactics and the new Wanderer allegiance abilities appeared. Decided to finish them off properly even if I'll rarely use them beyond a fluff game. I may talk a mate into letting me alter the war scroll a little and get some decent value from them. It depends how many games I lose in a row and how badly I Lose them I guess :D  Walk overs get dull pretty quick.

I copied the sorceress conversion from someone else on a google search for mounted wood elf mages (GW didn't sell one but had rules for them).

I used the LOTR eagles as warhawk riders (I didn't care they were too big they looked too cool not to use them as they are.) I never thought to use all 3 as Glade lords on Eagles until I saw Tidings mention it and they aren't bad for their points. I am going to give them ago next game supporting a wild hunt theme army.

Sorry i'm going off topic.

8 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

Thanks Mate, I painted them a long time ago super fast for a few games during 8th Ed times. I shelved them when AoS arrived and got them out recently after reading Tidings suggestions on wanderer tactics and the new Wanderer allegiance abilities appeared. Decided to finish them off properly even if I'll rarely use them beyond a fluff game. I may talk a mate into letting me alter the war scroll a little and get some decent value from them. It depends how many games I lose in a row and how badly I Lose them I guess :D  Walk overs get dull pretty quick.

I copied the sorceress conversion from someone else on a google search for mounted wood elf mages (GW didn't sell one but had rules for them).

I used the LOTR eagles as warhawk riders (I didn't care they were too big they looked too cool not to use them as they are.) I never thought to use all 3 as Glade lords on Eagles until I saw Tidings mention it and they aren't bad for their points. I am going to give them ago next game supporting a wild hunt theme army.

Sorry i'm going off topic.

No worries. I think we need to have these kinds of discussions to properly create this wishlist. I've been porting ideas over from the main Wanderers let's chat thread to inform a lot of what is being discussed and written here, too.

I do want to know what you think about whether the ambush/trigger abilities might work as well on the Waystrider, or if you think they are better on the Wayfinder? I asked above but it was between your quotes so you may have missed it.

I was picking a hero at random really i haven't given too much thought on each hero type, maybe we have too many basic heros with 5 wounds and no resilience. I don't mind what model triggers the ability but I'd prefer it to be an ability rather than a command ability and we need some heavier punching heros than an elf with 5 wounds and a bow. I don't really understand the lore behind what wanderers are at the moment so its hard to knit story with army theme and war scroll rules together. All we have is what we knew wanderers to be - Wood Elves and that's a theme we all clearly love and want to continue but I fear GW is about to burn that idea in favour of a new one with a very different back story. It may be marmite it may not but I'm excited to see what comes. I just wish they would hurry up! :D

PLEASE NOTE: I corrected a key word in my previous post above in red underlined. It changes what I meant quite a bit. ;)

Update of draft write up for Heroes. New material is in blue. Please comment, add, criticize, adjust. 

Suggestions Concerning Existing, Non-Hero Units

Heroes are one area where the Wanderers are clearly deficient. This is not because the Heroes aren't good units (though we have nothing with more than five wounds and 6" move), but because outside of command abilities they have no way to synergize with other Wanderer units. The Waywatcher -> Wayfinder -> Waystrider -> Nomad Prince paradigm is one of gradual movement from elite archer to elite combat fighter with stages in between. As a result the two middle stages--Wayfinder and Waystrider--have no real role in the army. The Waywatcher and Nomad Prince are simply deemed superior at what they do. Additionally, because they do not buff our troops outside the command abilities and their command abilities are deemed inferior to those of the Waywatcher and Nomad Prince, the two middle heroes are seldom if ever employed in a Wanderer or Order army.

Perhaps more importantly, this lack of buffing and synergy from our heroes leaves Wanderers at a decided disadvantage compared to many other factions and contributes to the choice of many Wanderer players to abandon the Wanderer allegiance in favor of mixed Order. A quick glance at the Let's Chat Wanderers thread will show numerous attempts to win pitched battle games with the Wanderer allegiance, with major losses occurring almost every time. The Wanderers lack the ability to take and hold objectives. Heroes are not the only reason for this, but their lack of buffing means that abandoning the allegiance and the Wanderer models in favor of units that do confer buffs has been a major strategy Wanderers players have had to employ in order to be competitive in matched play style of game.

Because of all the above, the Wanderer players on the TGA Community recommend the following two base strategies concerning Heroes:

1. Every Wanderer hero should have buffs or other unit synergies that are not tied to it's Command Ability to make them more useful even when they are not the general;
  2. Every Wanderer hero should have a clearly defined battlefield role based on its non-Command Ability abilities.

We suggest that the existing paradigm of elite archer to elite fighter be enhanced with clear battlefield roles as follows:

Heroes

Waywatcher. The elite archer is probably the favored hero of the Wanderer faction and is a unit that makes it into most Wanderer and Wanderer-themed mixed-order games. There is not a lot to adjust here. This is simply a good unit. However, the Waywatcher should further solidify his sniper/elite archer role through the following:

• The Waywatcher could be the unit most employed to lead small bands of teleporting archers, and this should be encouraged via its abilities to buff archers and archer units. Many of the suggestions on archer units above have been about making them more elite. This could be accomplished via the Waywatcher through buffing during the shooting phase.
    • One excellent suggestion made by the community is that the Waywatcher could act as a leader and coordinator of archer units as reflected through a Tracer Arrow concept. The rule could be something like: "If any Waywatcher wounds a target unit during the shooting phase, other Wanderer units get a +1 to hit that same target until the end of the shooting phase."
    • Alternatively, the Waywatcher could confer some kind of MW or rend capability on nearby archers via the mechanic above or simply by being nearby.
  • Please remove the not moving trigger that confers the +1 to hit in favor of another trigger. This is another example of the warscrolls not matching the new paradigm of teleporting troops and penalizing us when we use our new allegiance abilities. The +1 to hit could trigger in other ways such as in the shooting phase of the turn in which the waywatcher teleported, when the waywatcher is in cover, when the waywatcher is near a unit of Glade Guard and/or Sisters of the Watch, etc.

Wayfinder. The 75% archer, 25% fighter as currently constituted has no real place on the battlefield. Yes, the Hail of Doom arrow is nice, but not enough to make up for his disadvantage compared to the Waywatcher. At the same time, the Wayfinder name practically screams Realm Wanderer teleport buffer. This unit could easily be turned into a movement buffer, capable of leading the teleporting Wanderers in ways they couldn't do without him.

• Make the Wayfinder a teleport buffer. Allow him to enhance that ability. The Wayfinder should be a beacon and guide on the hidden paths, with knowledge of quicker routes that open up in unexpected places. Some suggestions of how this might be implemented:
    • When using the Realm Wanderers allegiance ability, the Wayfinder and all Wanderer units within 6" of him can leave the board and set up within 9" or 12" inches of the table edge, rather than the usual 6". 
    • When using the Realm Wanderers allegiance ability, the Wayfinder and all Wanderer units within 6" of him when he teleports from the table edge can set up wholly within 6" of a piece of scenery in addition to the edge of the table.
    • When using the Realm Wanderers allegiance ability, the Wayfinder and one additional unit within 6" of him can leave the board and and return as normal. However, this does not count as either unit's move, and both units may either move as normal or use an ability that requires that the unit stand still.
  • The command ability is too limited. Consider enhancing it. Perhaps it allows nearby Wanderers to use his Bravery and, should any archer unit be required to make a battleshock test that unit can immediately shoot as if were the shooting phase. The requirement that we roll a 1 is just too limited. Frankly even with this ability I'd never make him my general. 

Waystrider. The Waystrider is a combat fighter with some range. Make him the leader of our quick strike close combat units such as the Wyldwood Rangers, and give the Waystrider abilities that focus on using ambush tactics to get his troops in close. If our hard hitting troops are also vulnerable when out in the open, then a hero who leads bands of guerrilla fighters against our foes is an ideal mechanic that gives this guy a unique role on the battlefield. Some suggestions on who this could be accomplished:

• Give the Waystrider buffs that allow him and other units to ambush our enemies. This, combined with our allegiance abilities, would make for a totally guerrilla fighting style. For example:
    • Charge from Hidden Position: At the beginning of the game, the Waystrider can reserve one or more wanderer units like Sylvaneth do in hidden enclaves (they remain off the table). During the charge phase of any of your turns the Waystrider and the reserve Wanderers units can make a charge attempt from any piece of scenery on the table (measuring from the edge of the scenery feature).  If the charge fails, the Wanderers must be set up wholly within 3" of the scenery edge. No charge can be attempted if an enemy unit is within 3" of a piece of scenery.
      • Alternatively, and to be even more disruptive, the above ability could occur in the enemy charge phase.  
    • The Trap is Sprung: As above, at the beginning of the game, the Waystrider can reserve one or more wanderer units like Sylvaneth do in hidden enclaves (they remain off the table). At the beginning of the shooting phase of either player's turn, the wanderer units in reserve can deploy wholly within a terrain feature and shoot at a nearby unit. They may not be deployed from any terrain feature that has an enemy unit within 3".
    • Simply allow the Waystrider to allow a unit to move after teleporting. See the suggestion above for Wayfinder.
  • Allow the Waystrider to make our close combat units more effective. Buff our combat abilities. Some suggestions:
    • Pick a Wanderer unit within 12". That unit gets a +1 to hit in the Combat phase.
    • The Draich's of Wyldwood Ranger units within 9" of the Waystrider do D3 damage regardless of whether the target is a monster.
  • The Heartseeker Arrow is a useless ability. 33% of the time it does 1 MW, after which it never again takes affect. How about making it happen every turn but requiring a 6+, or dropping it altogether in favor of something else? Maybe the Waystrider could simply do MW's with its Longbow on rolls of 6+.
  • As with the Wayfinder, the Waystrider command ability is useless. Please enhance to make it a viable choice in our army.

Nomad Prince. The Nomad Prince is almost always our choice for our general due to it's ability to allow nearby units to reroll hit rolls of 1 regardless of combat phase. This, plus it's outstanding combat profile and 2" range makes this the superior unit to include in a gunline or group of teleporting troops. The Nomad Prince plays the role of strategic leader in our Wanderer armies. Not a lot has to change with this unit, but consider enhancing this key role as follows:

• Allow the Nomad Prince to buff the one defense we have against strong units hitting our units: Eternal Guard. If the EG are going to need to stand still to use Fortress of Boughs, allow the Nomad Prince to mitigate this limitation in some way. Justify it by staying that the Nomad Prince can better coordinate these key troops. Here are some ideas:
    • EG within 6" of the Nomad Prince during the Combat phase may pile in even while maintaining their Fortress of Boughs ability.
    • EG within 6" of the Nomad Prince may move (but not run) and still employ their Fortress of Boughs ability.
    • Pick a unit of EG within 12" of the Nomad Prince. Enemy units cannot move within 6" of that unit of EG during their movement phase unless they charge.

Spellweaver. To come

Since the conversation died down I went ahead and updated the first post. New text in blue.

Regarding the Spellweaver, is there anything people want to see. Frankly I'm inclined to leave her as is. She's a fine wizard character with a decent spell and one auto unbind for 80 pts. The only thing I would suggest changing is make her spell revive D6 wounds worth of models, rounding up. As it's currently written, I almost never use her spell on 1 wound models because that's a losing battle. I only use it on Wild Riders or SotT. But if it revived d6 wounds of models, it would be much more useful overall.

Without getting their own spell list of some sort I think the Sisters of the Thorn and Spellweavers are decent enough for task. They do magic fine and I think its the other heroes that are the week side of the picture, but I think enough has been suggested to give them a chance competitively if some of it were to be adopted. 

Archived