Wanderers of the Realms: A TGA Community Living Wishlist

Yeled

On 10/27/2018 at 4:52 PM, Erosharcos said:

I can’t see this happening since they went through the trouble of re-boxing glade guard. The current sculpts for GG aren’t bad at all IMO. After BoC tome I think Wanderers will get something down the road.

I hope you are correct.  I have a couple big painted Glade Guard units and each one took 3+ hours to paint. 

On 10/28/2018 at 12:34 PM, Aelfric said:

If we get physical Waystones, I would like them to be teleportation points (similar to Sylvaneth woods) as an alternative to coming on the board edge, after all they are meant to strengthen and connect Ley lines.  It would also be nice to teleport more than one unit a turn (again), maybe through a battalion or a particular tribe (should we ever get a book).

The problem is that would tie them into specific points which the enemy would have an easier time blocking.  However if they could sufficiently make it work on the table then I would be 100% in with this idea.  I missed the FW Waystone terrain and I really wished I had picked a couple up.  Granted,.. it isn't a hard thing to replicate.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I hope you are correct.  I have a couple big painted Glade Guard units and each one took 3+ hours to paint. 

The problem is that would tie them into specific points which the enemy would have an easier time blocking.  However if they could sufficiently make it work on the table then I would be 100% in with this idea.  I missed the FW Waystone terrain and I really wished I had picked a couple up.  Granted,.. it isn't a hard thing to replicate.

I was thinking in terms of an either/or situation so that you could teleport either to the board edge or to a Waystone, thus having both options available.  With so much teleporting within the game now, zoning out your opponent has become a standard part of tactical play.  I agree that a balance needs to be struck between one side's capacity to teleport and the other side's capacity to prevent it, making it an even contest in gaining tactical advantage.   This could be regulated by the number of Waystones, the distance a unit would have to be "wholly within" of one, and the number of units allowed to teleport each turn.  I like the idea of starting at a small base and increasing the ability through tribe and battalion special rules, which would add a thematic element to list-building

I have 30 Glade Guard painted up and I think it would take more than this to persuade me to paint another 30.☺️

On 10/31/2018 at 11:21 AM, Aelfric said:

I was thinking in terms of an either/or situation so that you could teleport either to the board edge or to a Waystone, thus having both options available.  With so much teleporting within the game now, zoning out your opponent has become a standard part of tactical play.  I agree that a balance needs to be struck between one side's capacity to teleport and the other side's capacity to prevent it, making it an even contest in gaining tactical advantage.   This could be regulated by the number of Waystones, the distance a unit would have to be "wholly within" of one, and the number of units allowed to teleport each turn.  I like the idea of starting at a small base and increasing the ability through tribe and battalion special rules, which would add a thematic element to list-building

I have 30 Glade Guard painted up and I think it would take more than this to persuade me to paint another 30.☺️

Having played 90 GG in 8th, and now trying to branch out.  I would think embarking on your next 30 to be a thankless task long term :P

• 1 month later...

I have been reading through my Deepkin battletome, and was visualising how they could apply the enclave mechanic to Wanderers.

It would probably be in the same vein that reflects the realms and the attributes of each realm.

They could refer to them as tribes, kin-bands or caravans.

I would love a Wild Hunt themed kin-band, possibly focussed or originating  in the realm of beasts.

A Ghyran kinband could all greater synergy between sylvaneth.

Sorry if this has been covered already, I did a quick review but could find any real discussion on it.

Has anyone else got any thoughts on this, or would like to bounce around some ideas?

I listened to the Hungerfiend audiobook by Guy Haley so am a bit excited! :P

I am still a wood elf at heart.   My army back in the day was a 15 dry and block, 2 tree men, orion,  some wardancers, a unit of waywatchers, a mage, eagles and a block of archers.  Rather than hope for an official change I have been scheming ways to use my old army.  

Here is what I came up with (c and c welcome):

Sylvaneth allegiance

Durthu general (using rebased orion as a proxy)

Dryads (several blocks)

Treelord

Branchwraith (my old wood elf enchantress as a proxy)

Spite revs (war dancers as proxy)

Allied way watcher

Allied glade guard

Occasionally if the points are really high winterleaf and a Phoenix or dragon with either a rebased eagle or forest dragon as the "any" order unit.

It's not quite the same as the old army and the rules/scrolls arent quite the same, but what is?  Even the dryads and treeman arent quite how they were.  But this gets my old models on the table and acting somewhat in in a flavor that feels right.  

Suggested improvements welcome.  Especially easier ways to drag an eagle (or something an eagle can proxy) in welcome.  Living city could have worked if only more selves were on the list.

@Gwill_of_the_Woods Sometimes I also made up my mind around kindreds from different realms - although my thinking revolved around rather simple concepts. For example when I saw a Wanderers Army painted  in a Red and Black Scheme I got Images in my head of a wild ferocious bunch of Aelves who want to show the world how they are better than anyone else - they could also be described as a Band of Jesters who may challenge you to single combat and let you believe to be on even terms only to slay you mercilessly.

What are the quintessential tenets of each Deepkin enclaves? I only can remember loose concepts
-Fue Than: agressive
-Ionrach: Most open minded
-Dom Hain: creepy ?  many Namarthi
-Briomdar: ambush tactics

-enclave in Ghur: tame many beasts

Anyway, lets see what we have: (I'll just list concepts and words that come to my mind and try to apply characteristics to them):

Ghyran: limitless life, Healing, sprawling vegetation,
-as you said Gwill, more Synergy with Sylvaneth, - maybe also a root for more conflict, because the Sylvaneth may be jealous and try to sabotage a route that could lead Alarielle to forgive these Wanderers.
-Wanderers from Ghyran could be the most ambitious, as they are in Alarielles own realm? Maybe they follow a code of behavior to honor Alarielle? 

Aqshy: Aggression, passion, brashness, passion,

- Wanderers from Aqshy could have knowledge of dangerous pathways that are so hazardous that other Wanderers would fear to take them , 
-

Hysh: hidden meaning, symmetry, riddles(?), scholarly pursuit, academia(?), 

-easily my favorite Realm, as it is described as a Realm where many Aelves found shelter and it was implied it did not get completley overrun by Chaos (don't remember where I read this though)
-Wanderers here mingled with other Aelves more closely

Ulgu: Illusions, Secrets, loneliness (?),

-Wanderers here could follow the doctrine: "stay hidden and survive as long as we remain unseen we can overcome all odds"

Ghur: instincts, hunter and prey, survival, 

-as you said: Wild Hunt!! :D - these poor Aelves have to face countless threats that try to eat them - everything and everyone has more muscle but most certainly less brain-cells and they love it!
-Ghur seems to revolve much around eating - (Gobbos drink spider venom, Beastclaw Raiders and Other Ogors eat anything, Bonespliters split bones to eat the marrow, etc .... - Maybe these Wanderers have a tradition of consuming/eating .... something? :D (I wnated to get away from the stereotypical vegetarian wood-elf)

Chamon: crafting,  etc..??
Shyish: ?? cant really wrap my head around this one, 

Mainly by thinking about the Background for my Wanderers I came up with certain aspects and traits that I imagined would be fitting for Aelves who dwelt in Hysh. --> They are a bit more magically inclined; (not a ferocious charge with wildwood Rangers - rather trickery and magic to get the job done), a specialty in abjuration- and warding magic to cleanse the lands from Chaos,   

- they might seem more aloof and speak in riddles

-eager to lend a helping hand and answer your questions but they always want something in return  

In my mind, my Wanderers' tribe are not fixed to any one Realm, and never have been.  They see all the Realms as one home and travel from one to the other repairing, and adding to, the Ley-lines that connect them all through the creation of Waystones.  

If we were to have Tribes one day, I would like them to be centred around concepts rather than Realm-based.  So Ley-lines would be one concept, maybe others such as:

Seeking and combating Beasts of Chaos and reversing the damage they do to the balance of the World (that is the Realms seen as one physicality).

Protecting the wild places from too much incursion from civilisations of whatever race.

Working to regain the harmony once held between them and those now known as the Sylvaneth, the better to keep the Realms safe.

To find a fixed place which they can call home that encompasses the ascendant aspects of each Realm, but is dominated by none of them - a truly balanced place and the ages of wandering in the wilderness can finally be laid to rest.

These are just a few ideas that have sprung to mind.  I'm sure there are many more out there, but these would give enough diversity to give each tribe a distinct flavour.

@Aloth_Corfiser  and @Aelfric, I love your ideas. I think that the common theme is that there is a variety of theme and play-style that emphasises on the strengths and uniques of specific units.

I genuinely liked that Wanderers allegiance abilities focussed on movement and maneuverability, as this is their "strength" of "flavour" not shooting. 

I think a lore of magic could be interesting and the spells could be very varied to show that they travel between multiple realms.

If a scenery kit ever came out, I think stonehenge style doorways would be pretty groovy. In the Darius Hinks "Orion trilogy" he writes about some of the World-roots being one way and not always discoverable again. That would be something cool to bring to AoS.

In some of the previous pages in this thread there is discussion about hero types.

I do think that Nomad Prince, Spellweaver, and Waywatcher are superb at their respective jobs, but the Wayfinder/strider just seem to be master of none.

I would like some defined roles, maybe even a "Totem" , possibly a mounted totem so that it fit in with the maneuverable theme.

So with Gloomspite Gitz announced as an official faction for Moonclan, Spiderfang and Troggs, and before that the Beasts of Chaos pulling in a lot of other old factions, is anyone else foreseeing Wanderers being joined with any of the other Order factions? How would you feel about it if that’s what GW did?

1 hour ago, Erosharcos said:

So with Gloomspite Gitz announced as an official faction for Moonclan, Spiderfang and Troggs, and before that the Beasts of Chaos pulling in a lot of other old factions, is anyone else foreseeing Wanderers being joined with any of the other Order factions? How would you feel about it if that’s what GW did?

Personally, I would rather Wanderers remained their own faction.  Lore-wise, they have little in common with the other elder Aelf factions; their way of living, their outlook on life and their society are far removed from those Aelves more integrated into Sigmar's civilised order.  We have enough units to fill a battletome as it stands and one or two extra, like a big centrepiece, would round it off nicely.  There is definitely a place in the Realms for a distinct faction of nomadic Aelves.

However, given the choice of being amalgamated into a collective or being dropped, I would obviously choose the former.

23 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Personally, I would rather Wanderers remained their own faction.  Lore-wise, they have little in common with the other elder Aelf factions; their way of living, their outlook on life and their society are far removed from those Aelves more integrated into Sigmar's civilised order.  We have enough units to fill a battletome as it stands and one or two extra, like a big centrepiece, would round it off nicely.  There is definitely a place in the Realms for a distinct faction of nomadic Aelves.

However, given the choice of being amalgamated into a collective or being dropped, I would obviously choose the former.

110% agree. I am a little anxious about Wanderers being rolled up with other Aelves. Lion rangers would sort of make sense to be added to the Wanderers, though I’d like to see some monstrous/elite models added to the Wanderers line. Forest dragons coming back would especially be awesome. 

Do you think that there’s any chance Kurnoth would be an Aelf god similar to Orion? And if so, that god is also extracting souls from Slaanesh? Theres not a lot on Kurnoth’s lore yet, but from what’s available it seems like a cookie-cutter version of Orion. 

6 minutes ago, Erosharcos said:

110% agree. I am a little anxious about Wanderers being rolled up with other Aelves. Lion rangers would sort of make sense to be added to the Wanderers, though I’d like to see some monstrous/elite models added to the Wanderers line. Forest dragons coming back would especially be awesome. 

Do you think that there’s any chance Kurnoth would be an Aelf god similar to Orion? And if so, that god is also extracting souls from Slaanesh? Theres not a lot on Kurnoth’s lore yet, but from what’s available it seems like a cookie-cutter version of Orion. 

Well, He seems to have been modelled on Cernunnos, a Celtic Nature Deity who was also associated with the Underworld in Celtic mythology.  I think this was in terms of the cycle of birth, death and rebirth.  In AOS terms, if Kurnoth is the Nature God of rebirth, then it would make sense that he has risen again in the new Realms.  It would be interesting if he championed the notion of re-incarnation, so that he would gather the souls of his fallen people to ensure that those souls would enter a new physical form to begin the cycle again.  This would obviously bring him into conflict with both Nagash and Slaanesh, and add to the myriad of soul-seeking Deities.  It would certainly fit in with, and enrich, the lore as it seems to be developing.

Lion Rangers would make a good heavy infantry for Wanderers and I agree are one of the few elder Aelven units that would fit the faction.

I think it's  guaranteed Wanderers will get Lion Rangers if they don't get rolled up in a Free City tome first.

The novels "Hammerhal and other stories" and "Red Hour" put them as fellow ancient warrior tribes that can remember when they had to fall back to Azyr in the Age of Chaos. Upon emerging back from it they had to find their place in the realms with the wilderness as their home but also in doing dangerous scout work for Order far behind enemy lines (they even have a special stimulant to keep the wounded moving) be it fleshy spine covered plains in Ghur or the rusted deserts of Chamon.

With "Heart of Winter" it seems a Sylvaneth alliance might be relegated to a special allegiance only because though the Wanderers want peace and Alarielle forgave them at the end of the Seeds of Hope her children did not and Sylvaneth even call the tribal marks they Wanderers use as the Marks of the Betrayers.

Which in my opinion is for the best as for one the Treekin never really liked the wood elves in Athel Loren and only allied in the first place because of how vulnerable they were in winter (which is NOT a Sylvaneth weakness, hoo boy they're terrifying in the snow) and Wanderers getting their own tome means more unique units to them like new hunters, druids, elemental spirits and animal allies.

In my opinion, the new Wanderers keywords and fighting styles could be resumed by the words Ambush, Waystones and Wild Hunt.

Ambush. Wood Elves were meant to be the best archers in the Old World. I would like to see that go through with the Wanderers, with Heros or Units worthy of our famous Waywatchers. Shadowwarriors are almost already in our faction since they are made with the Sisters of the Watch kits. I could see Swifthawk Agents merge in some ways with this Ambush tactic. I also would see something around the theme of the Shadow Magic. Shadowdancers, Wardancers... Have you considered Mistweavers ? Some people consider them as a mix between High and Dark Elves, but their fighting style fits the Wanderers. Also, Loec, the god of Trickery, could be an ally with this strategy.

Waystones. This is a very distinct feature in our Lore. Do you remember our Spellweavers being described as some of the best Mages of the Old World ? I could easily see them coming back as Waystone specialized Mages. They could also be linked to any kind of Mistweaving lore, going well with the idea of the Mistweavers joining the Wanderers. I could also see Great Owls or Unicorns as very central pieces worthy of new kits. Also, new terrain with the Waystone idea.

Wild Hunt. This aspect is also very distinctive to the Wanderers. Worthy enough to generate kits such as Wildriders and Wildwood Rangers. We really lack something that emphasize this aspect in our Wanderer army, that's why an Avatar of Kurnoth, mounted or not, could very likely be produced. I can easily see a mounted kit merge with the Waystone theme by swapping a Great Stag with a Unicorn for example. We really lack some other light cavalry I do think, so forest creatures or mounted warriors could be a plus. And it could be merged with some mounted archers to fit with the Ambush theme of the army. Also, Lion Rangers maybe. So Lion mounts with heavy weapons dudes merged with Panther mounts with Archers/Mistweavers ?

There are some double kits I could easily see going with the Wanderers theme :

• Kurnoth avatar on Great Stag/Loec avatar on Unicorn
  • Lord on Great Eagle/Mistweaver on Great Owl
  • Archers mounted on Great Panthers/ Mistweavers mounted on Great Panthers
  • Mistweavers/Wardancers
  • Sisters of the Watch/Shadow Warrior

And boom. Three new kits (1 hero, 1 light cavalry and 1 elite) and a battletome, and we would be ready for battle.

Ok, let me go back through a hidden path and hope in peace 😂

6 hours ago, Jyhnu said:

Three new kits (1 hero, 1 light cavalry and 1 elite) and a battletome, and we would be ready for battle.

If we got a Kurnoth model, it would be easy to add a 4th kit - simply grant Kurnoth Hunters the Wanderers keyword if Kurnoth is your General.

I could see swifthawk being rolled into wanderers with little fuss, gives us a centerpiece model as well. If we get the grot treatment (as in grouped together factions and new models) then we could get some more beasts of the realms, if nothing else we should get a prince on stag model

@Jyhnu, I love your ideas! I think it would fit a Beastmen/ new Gitz style release.

@Aelfric, it would be awesome to combine the Kurnoth Hunters too. It could be a Battalion style approach where in the battalion you have to take Avatar of the Hunt/ Kurnoth or Stag-Lord (or whatever), Wild Riders, and the battalion allows you to take KH's. Like the Deepkin "Alliance of Wood and sea" or the Kelp-forest as like to to call it :P 

With regards to having a Nomad prince or Nomad King on a stag, do you think it would  make a difference that there is already a Thranduil on Stag for the Hobbit?

...or at least I thought there was but I couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe I imagined it! 

In saying that Prince Maesa has one!

4 hours ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

With regards to having a Nomad prince or Nomad King on a stag, do you think it would  make a difference that there is already a Thranduil on Stag for the Hobbit?

...or at least I thought there was but I couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe I imagined it! 

In saying that Prince Maesa has one!

It would be great to have a Prince on Stag.  I would rather have a new sculpt though, even though it's a nice-looking model,  as the LOTR aesthetic doesn't really fit with AOS and the scale is slightly different. It would also be nice to have a named characterl. 

Archived