Allegiances and Factions and Allies

Gilby

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so... revised faction, ally, allegiance how to in 5 simple steps:

• Pick Allegiance you want to use
  • Look at the corresponding Faction table* for list of Allies Allegiances*
  • Identify the Warscrolls in your list that don't have the Allegiance keyword you want to use
  • IF that list is wholly from the list of Allies AND is less than 400 points, ignore them
  • Rest of army should now have desired Allegiance keyword

*DoT/Tzeentch and BoK/Khorne are interchangeable here as inconsistencies is wording of faction and allegiance would otherwise make them completely unusable as allies or make DoT and BoK a new previously unmentioned allegiance.

Is there anything in that that would cause a problem or make people build illegal lists? Might be over simplified in parts, but better that than confusing people.

6 minutes ago, Squirrelmaster said:

@Killax I saw the words "I skipped the rest" and skipped the rest of your post, sorry.

Completely up to you. I'd suggest reading the way Allegiances work and reading the way Factions work.

The skipped part:

1.I think the most reasonable assumption (although it's not spelled out in the rules) is that every unit (and warscroll battalion) has allegiance to whatever faction it's listed under in GHB2017, in addition to keyword and battalion based allegiances.

2. So if your allegiance is "Tzeentch", you can take anything with the "Tzeentch" keyword, but no allies because "Tzeentch" isn't a faction. If you take "Disciples of Tzeentch" allegiance, your non-allied units and warscrolls all have to come from the "Disciples of Tzeentch" section on pg 91, but you can take allied forces as defined by that faction, which do not need "Tzeentch" allegiance.

3. What's slightly confusing about that is that the allegiance abilities in the Disciples of Tzeentch book are for armies with Tzeentch allegiance, not for armies with Disciples of Tzeentch allegiance. At present there is no advantage to taking an army with Disciples of Tzeentch allegiance as opposed to just plain Chaos. But then again, it's not the only pointless allegiance in GHB2017.

Is very strange on several levels:

1. There is no reason to assume that every Factions has new keywords that match their Faction as per Pitched Battle Profile. GH2017 doesn't suggest this either. If they wanted to alter Warscrolls they would have because they have done so aswell in GH2017.
2. Desciples of Tzeentch is extremely clear on what the Tzeentch Allegiance is. Desciples of Tzeentch is not an Allegiance. We have allies for the Faction Desciples of Tzeentch and it is mentioned under Factions and Allies that Allies can have another Allegiance.
3. There is no Desciples of Tzeentch Allegiance.

11 minutes ago, Gilby said:

Okay so... revised faction, ally, allegiance how to in 5 simple steps:

• Look at the corresponding Faction table* for list of Allies Allegiances*
  • Identify the Warscrolls in your list that don't have the Allegiance keyword you want to use
  • IF that list is wholly from the list of Allies AND is less than 400 points, ignore them

*DoT/Tzeentch and BoK/Khorne are interchangeable here as inconsistencies is wording of faction and allegiance would otherwise make them completely unusable as allies or make DoT and BoK a new previously unmentioned allegiance.

Is there anything in that that would cause a problem or make people build illegal lists? Might be over simplified in parts, but better that than confusing people.

I agree with the steps but would suggest an alternate route.

1. Look at the (main) Faction you want to use and consider Allies. Where previously you looked at the Grand Allegiance.
2. Identify the Warscrolls available to the (main) Faction and Allies. Where previously you looked at the Grand Allegiance.
3. Figure out how many points you actually want to spend on Allies, if at all.
4. Build Army list.
5. Pick Allegiance or Allegiances if you decided to use Allies.

The prime thing with the GH2017 is to figure out what your main Faction will be basically and the rest follows. There is some benifit found in using Allies but it isn't as massive or drastic as one might think, by large also because all synergies are still very much specific Keyword orientated.

Another reason to pick the Allegiances last is because you then can evaluate how good specific Command Traits, Artefacts and/or Spells/Prayers are for your army in question. If you decide on your General beforehand it is possible but it becomes much harder to evalute the worth of an Artefact because you lack the context of your complete army.

I don't think it's very confusing though. It's just checking Keywords. Factions are listed the way they are because they often have at least two Keywords in common. For example, Blades of Khorne all has Khorne and Chaos Keywords. The Allegiance is another Keyword check that is best left for the last phase because you then know how much advantage you can really gain out of it.

This can be easily solved with an errata:

- Units with any of the keywords TZEENTCH/KHORNE/SLAANESH count as part of the Disciples of Tzeentch/Blades of Khorne/Hosts of Slaanesh Factions respectively if they are not already listed under those factions.

This way nothing else really needs changing in the GHB2017.

4 minutes ago, Nevvermore said:

- Units with any of the keywords TZEENTCH/KHORNE/SLAANESH count as part of the Disciples of Tzeentch/Blades of Khorne/Hosts of Slaanesh Factions respectively if they are not already listed under those factions.

What issue is there to be solved? I honestly do not see a problem.
The Allegiances found in the Desciples of Tzeentch and Blades of Khorne books are not exclusive to those Factions to begin with.

Now I dont see the ally value as an issue either because if your going heavy on the Slaves to Darkness models you still have acces to the Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh Allegiance abilities aswell... It just means that you have to choose a Faction first now, the Grand Allegiance armies 'fully mixed armies' are a thing of the past.

32 minutes ago, Killax said:

1. Look at the (main) Faction you want to use and consider Allies. Where previously you looked at the Grand Allegiance.
2. Identify the Warscrolls available to the (main) Faction and Allies. Where previously you looked at the Grand Allegiance.
3. Figure out how many points you actually want to spend on Allies, if at all.
4. Build Army list.
5. Pick Allegiance or Allegiances if you decided to use Allies.

The only problem with this is, I could say:

1. Slaves to Darkness.

2. Daemons of Nurgle

3. 270 points of plaguebearers

4. List with plaguebearers and the rest StD marked with Tzeentch

5. Tzeentch (as everything other than allies are Tzeentch)

I can see that that isn't right as Page 74 says your allies must be allied to that allegience. You have to decide on the allegiance you want before you start looking at designating warscrolls as allies.

Just trying to make a foolproof method with as few steps as possible.

18 minutes ago, Gilby said:

The only problem with this is, I could say:

1. Slaves to Darkness.

2. Daemons of Nurgle

3. 270 points of plaguebearers

4. List with plaguebearers and the rest StD marked with Tzeentch

5. Tzeentch (as everything other than allies are Tzeentch)

I can see that that isn't right as Page 74 says your allies must be allied to that allegience. You have to decide on the allegiance you want before you start looking at designating warscrolls as allies.

Just trying to make a foolproof method with as few steps as possible.

Well if that's what you wanted to do you could do that. I'm trying to follow your steps here:

1. You picked Slaves to Darkness as your main faction and want to play 2000 points. Neat, you have 2000 points to spend there and out of those 400 can be from your Allies list. 
2. You decided to include 270 points of Plaguebearers as Allies (who can be included based on your faction).
3. You create the list. The list is not illigal because the Allegiance of your Allies does not have to be the same Allegiance as per page 76. Yes, page 74 states these units should be allied to the Allegiance but an Allegiance does not have Allies to begin with. However what I believe they intend to clarify here is that your Allies must be able to be Allied to your Faction. 
4. You pick your Allegiance(s).

Whatever the GH2017 suggest you do, I am very certain that the more logical outcome remains to pick your Faction first, then at the end of the line add your Allegiance and relevant Allegiance abilities in order to construct an army that is 'optimized'.

As long as we have no page on GH2017 that says Allegiances have Allies we cannot follow that suggestion either.  The step of "Picking your army" can also be intended as something you do the moment you've finished your army list. At which point you indeed pick your Allegiance(s).
As per previous page though, the explanation of Allies is found on page 76 not 74.

The relevant part:

Allied units are treated as part of the player’s army, except that they are not included when working out the army’s allegiance or the number of Battleline units in the army, and an allied model cannot be the army general. However, note that allied units do count towards the maximum number of Leader, Behemoth and Artillery units that can be included in the army.

Which in turn does not prefent you from having the Tzeentch Allegiance while there are also Nurgle Daemons in your army with your Slaves to Darkness Faction. 

Edit: Keep in mind that the moment you do choose the Tzeentch Allegiance for your Slaves to Darkness Faction that Chaos Chariots, Chaos Knigths and Chaos Marauder Horseman stop being Battleline because you are then not the Slaves to Darkness Allegiance.

So is the list I mentioned...

1730 points of StD with mark of Tzeentch 

270 points of Daemons of Nurgle (as StD faction allies)

...legal to use a Tzeentch Allegiance?

It is Slave to Darkness Faction and Tzeentch Allegiance (is that allowed and if not, why?).

1 minute ago, Gilby said:

It is Slave to Darkness Faction and Tzeentch Allegiance (is that allowed and if not, why?).

Yes your Faction: Slaves to Darkness list with Allied: Daemons of Nurgle is legal to use with the Tzeentch Allegiance (profided all non-Allies are Tzeentch Starting Units). Based on the info how Allies and Allegiances work as per page 76 GH2017.

You can have a Slaves to Darkness Faction with the Tzeentch Allegiance, no issue whatsoever as the Tzeentch Allegiance has a whole different Keyword check that does not care about Factions or it's allies.

1 hour ago, Nevvermore said:

I really think this might be enough. It's almost certainly the differing faction and allegiance names of the chaos gods that are creating issues. 

31 minutes ago, Gilby said:

You can't do this because if you pick Tzeentch allegiance your army effectively becomes a Tzeentch one. You must then take Tzeentch allegiance abilities, and take Tzeentch (DoT) allies, if any. 

2 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

You can't do this because if you pick Tzeentch allegiance your army effectively becomes a Tzeentch one. You must then take Tzeentch allegiance abilities, and take Tzeentch (DoT) allies, if any. 

You cant pick an Allegiance before you have any models to check wether or not your army is legal to begin with...

Moral is, you can very much do this based on Page 76, Allies.

11 minutes ago, Killax said:

You cant pick an Allegiance before you have any models to check wether or not your army is legal to begin with...

Are you saying that you can take Nurgle with Tzeentch because you don't pick allegiance until after you pick your models? 

14 minutes ago, Killax said:

You can however pick an Allegiance that invalidates Allies, as not all of your units are from the same Faction. A Slanesh Allegiance army can have 800 points of Slaves to Darkness marked with Slanesh and 800 points of Hosts of Slanesh. Even with 400 points left over, it cannot take allies, but it is a perfectly legal Slanesh army. You would not start from a Faction if you wanted to do this.

1 minute ago, hobgoblinclub said:

Are you saying that you can take Nurgle with Tzeentch because you don't pick allegiance until after you pick your models? 

It depends totally per Faction and Allies what you can and cant do. Allegiances have a new exception added in the form of the new Allies rules.

Slaves to Darkness, Everchosen and Stormcast have a ton of allies options. Which in turn mean you can do a lot.

1 minute ago, Tzaangor Management said:

You can however pick an Allegiance that invalidates Allies, as not all of your units are from the same Faction. A Slanesh Allegiance army can have 800 points of Slaves to Darkness marked with Slanesh and 800 points of Hosts of Slanesh. Even with 400 points left over, it cannot take allies, but it is a perfectly legal Slanesh army. You would not start from a Faction if you wanted to do this.

Which page is that?

Just now, Killax said:

Which page is that?

Apologies, I deleted a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff, along with the page and quote. It's page 74 under picking your army.

"The first step in picking your army is choosing your allegiance (see page 116). All units in the army must either have that allegiance, or be allied to that allegiance (see Allies, page 76)."

This is inconsistent with "Factions", "Allies" and "Allegiances", but clearly says that you can pick your army based on Allegiance rather than Faction.

6 minutes ago, Tzaangor Management said:

Apologies, I deleted a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff, along with the page and quote. It's page 74 under picking your army.

"The first step in picking your army is choosing your allegiance (see page 116). All units in the army must either have that allegiance, or be allied to that allegiance (see Allies, page 76)."

This is inconsistent with "Factions", "Allies" and "Allegiances", but clearly says that you can pick your army based on Allegiance rather than Faction.

No worries, yeah the point made in regards to picking your army is that this isnt ****** step 1. In addition it refers to page 76 and 116 for more info, which state that allegiances and allies dont check each other. As per allies page 76, you do not have to have the same allegiance for allies. Logical else you cant ally at all.

My tip, pick Faction, create list, pick Allegiance etc. You cant pick beyond 400 points of allies for 2000 though and ally generals are no option. Its strict enough.

16 minutes ago, Tzaangor Management said:

I think this is the exact opposite of the way I'm reading it. At least one of us is definitely right! ?

You're making a clear distinction between the allegiance of each god's name (Slaanesh, Khorne, Tzeentch) and the battletome/faction names (HoS, BoK, DoT). 

I really don't think there is a distinction to be made, however. A legal Slaanesh army is a HoS army. It qualifies as Slaanesh allegiance and can take HoS allies.

Lengthy posts of possible army lists aside, I think this is the crux of the debate. 

8 minutes ago, Killax said:

It depends totally per Faction and Allies what you can and cant do. Allegiances have a new exception added in the form of the new Allies rules.

Slaves to Darkness, Everchosen and Stormcast have a ton of allies options. Which in turn mean you can do a lot.

I think to say 'it's done in this order, so...' is to overcomplicate the matter. 

I'm not sure it needs a step by step procedure either. 

Your army may pick allegiance of any faction or grand alliance keyword that it all shares. 

Complexity only comes when you think about allies. Even then, if your army a shares a faction keyword, you can select from that faction's allies list. 

The only exception to these rules seems to be the cases of the chaos gods. We all apparently agree they work differently. The debate over how they work differently seems to be going round and round. ?

2 minutes ago, Killax said:

No worries, yeah the point made in regards to picking your army is that this isnt ****** step 1. In addition it refers to page 76 and 116 for more info, which state that allegiances and allies dont check each other. As per allies page 76, you do not have to have the same allegiance for allies. Logical else you cant ally at all.

My tip, pick Faction, create list, pick Allegiance etc. You cant pick beyond 400 points of allies for 2000 though and ally generals are no option. Its strict enough.

I hear what you're saying, but Allies are optional. Even if you selected from within one faction, you would not have to take allies, therefore I would say that it's ok to pick an army that could not take allies. That said, I am starting from the point of view that I would like to have my army a mix of Disciples of Tzeentch and Slaves to Darkness, therefore when the GHB 2017 states explicitly that "The first step in picking your army is choosing your allegiance" then I'm possibly more inclined to believe it ;).

4 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I think this is the exact opposite of the way I'm reading it. At least one of us is definitely right! ?

You're making a clear distinction between the allegiance of each god's name (Slaanesh, Khorne, Tzeentch) and the battletome/faction names (HoS, BoK, DoT). 

I really don't think there is a distinction to be made, however. A legal Slaanesh army is a HoS army. It qualifies as Slaanesh allegiance and can take HoS allies.

Lengthy posts of possible army lists aside, I think this is the crux of the debate. 

I think to say 'it's done in this order, so...' is to overcomplicate the matter. 

I'm not sure it needs a step by step procedure either. 

Your army may pick allegiance of any faction or grand alliance keyword that it all shares. 

Complexity only comes when you think about allies. Even then, if your army a shares a faction keyword, you can select from that faction's allies list. 

The only exception to these rules seems to be the cases of the chaos gods. We all apparently agree they work differently. The debate over how they work differently seems to be going round and round. ?

As it happens that is the way that I think it will be FAQ'd and is intended, also the way that I originally read it, but I agree with Killax that they've made the distinction between Allegiance and Faction. They have to make this distinction, otherwise they would need to make a Shadowblade allegiance in order to restrict how allies worked. The problem comes in lines like this on page 76:

"The Pitched Battle profile for each faction lists the allegiances of the allied units you can take"

The Pitched Battle profile for each faction in fact lists the factions of the allied units you can take. 

I agree that this discussion has probably become a bit circular and, as is so often the case, it is probably GW rules writers that are at the heart of it.

Just to throw another potential issue in there. It doesn't say that all your warscrolls have to be from one faction to take allies for that faction. So my list earlier that had DoT, StD, BoK and Daemons of Nurgle whilst being Tzeentch allegiance would be legal unless we acknowledge the rule on page 74, "all the units in your army must have that allegiance or be allied to that allegience." And why would we not acknowledge that rule?

I'm going to say it again. Does the following allow you to create a list that isn't legal, or does it stop you creating a list you think is legal? Don't worry about the logic of the steps and what not. This is a 'after you built your army' check rather than a jumping point for designing a new list.

3 hours ago, Gilby said:
  • Look at the corresponding Faction table* for that Allegiance for the list of Allied Allegiances*

If you can find a way that the above stops you building a legal list or allows you to build an illegal list then it needs changing otherwise it's the only real answer we need.

I think the heart of the problem here is that GW seems to treat the Disciples of Tzeentch as "Tzeentch Allegiance", Blades of Khorne as "Khorne Allegiance", etc.  So the allies for Khorne allegiance are those found at the bottom of the Blades of Khorne chart.

I suggest this because all conditional battleline in the entire book occurs in the faction that they are named, i.e. Varanguard are battleline if an army has EVERCHOSEN allegiance, etc.  In all of these factions, the faction is never named, just allegiance to that god.  This has even happened most recently with Nurgle Rotbringers, as their Blightkings are battleline with Nurgle allegiance (not Nurgle Rotbringers allegiance, as they were before).  Notice that this never occurs with any other faction but the four Chaos gods.  My proposal is that Disciples of Tzeentch is functionally Tzeentch allegiance (for allies), but it isn't called Tzeentch allegiance because Tzeentch allegiance also pulls in models from other factions (Archeon from Everchosen, Chaos Warriors from StD, etc).  My suggestion is to treat the allies of these factions as the allies of their corresponding Chaos deity allegiance.  

TLDR: The allies of Chaos god allegiances are those found in the factions with the God in their name (Disciples of Tzeentch, etc).  With these God allegiances, something is "in-faction" if they have that god's keyword.  If they don't have their keyword, they need to be found in the allies for the god in the faction corresponding with the God's name (Disciples of Tzeentch, Blades of Khorne, Nurgle Rotbringers, Hosts of Slaanesh).

As Tom said above. 

Those of you who are making the distinction between Tzeentch and DoT are thinking far too much into it. I'm pleased to say that the GW on Twitter this morning agree, it's very simple. If you all of your warscrolls have the Tzeentch keyword, you may use the Tzeentch allegiance and the DoT allies. They're one in the same. If it's the way the GW studio are playing it, that's the debate sorted. 

8 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I think the heart of the problem here is that GW seems to treat the Disciples of Tzeentch as "Tzeentch Allegiance", Blades of Khorne as "Khorne Allegiance", etc.  So the allies for Khorne allegiance are those found at the bottom of the Blades of Khorne chart.

I suggest this because all conditional battleline in the entire book occurs in the faction that they are named, i.e. Varanguard are battleline if an army has EVERCHOSEN allegiance, etc.  In all of these factions, the faction is never named, just allegiance to that god.  This has even happened most recently with Nurgle Rotbringers, as their Blightkings are battleline with Nurgle allegiance (not Nurgle Rotbringers allegiance, as they were before).  Notice that this never occurs with any other faction but the four Chaos gods.  My proposal is that Disciples of Tzeentch is functionally Tzeentch allegiance (for allies), but it isn't called Tzeentch allegiance because Tzeentch allegiance also pulls in models from other factions (Archeon from Everchosen, Chaos Warriors from StD, etc).  My suggestion is to treat the allies of these factions as the allies of their corresponding Chaos deity allegiance.  

TLDR: The allies of Chaos god allegiances are those found in the factions with the God in their name (Disciples of Tzeentch, etc).  With these God allegiances, something is "in-faction" if they have that god's keyword.  If they don't have their keyword, they need to be found in the allies for the god in the faction corresponding with the God's name (Disciples of Tzeentch, Blades of Khorne, Nurgle Rotbringers, Hosts of Slaanesh).

I personally think the heart of the problem is that some assume Faction and Allegiance mean and do the sime while they most certainly don't.
Desciples of Tzeentch has acces to the Tzeentch and Chaos Allegiance, always had and this is still the case. Fyreslayes has acces to the Fyreslayer and Order Allegiance etc.

When players want to know what an Allegiance is and constitutes to it again remains very simple and is a step done AFTER you have constructed your army because:

Many units and warscroll battalions also have more specific allegiances, for example, STORMCAST ETERNALS or SLAANESH. An army can have a specific allegiance if all the starting units and warscroll battalions in the army have the keyword forthat allegiance, including any units that you assign a keyword to during set-up.

This part from page 116 GH2017 is essential.
Without ANY models in an army you don't have "starting units", better put, you should pick your Allegiance after you have decided to use which (starting) units you want to use. 
The moment you have created an army and then selected the Allegiance you can still check it for legal purposes. In many cases you might allready know which Allegiance you want to become but again I would never suggest anyone picking the Allegiance before creating an army, it is simply said not the logical way to see if your armylist/checklist can apply for this Allegiance.

Factions do give a good sketch of units that are available to Allegiance X or Y, however again not all Factions have an Allegiance bonus to begin with and because of that I'd again also say do not pick your Allegiance before you pick an army. 

So to repeat the same again, you have more acces to Allegiances as you often do in terms of Factions. Khorne is not exclusive to Blades of Khorne, likewise Slaanesh is not exclusive to Hosts of Slaanesh. As the only mandatory thing that needs to be done to create an Allegiance is to have that Keyword on all your starting units (excluding Allies). 

@Gilby there are several reasons as to why your list posted wasn't legal, prime thing is the use of Allies for Desciples of Tzeentch that arn't available to that Faction, the other is the use of more than 400 points of Allies (which you cannot do). The big change remains that Grand Allegiances arn't Factions anymore but is indeed kept as an Allegiance option. With this I mean that we cannot mix Chaos with all Chaos units anymore based on the Picthed Profile rules and Factions and Allies rules but we can however pick Chaos as an Allegiance still.

1 hour ago, hobgoblinclub said:

... Those of you who are making the distinction between Tzeentch and DoT are thinking far too much into it. I'm pleased to say that the GW on Twitter this morning agree...

The only Official twitter feed for GW I'm aware of (outside of the one for recruitment) hasn't posted in ages.

What twitter feed are you talking about?

GW does Facebook, Twitch and YouTube.

Archived