Cheetors "Justified Ancients" Stormhost: Flagellants, 10/01/17

cheetor

wp-1504213535667.jpg

I painted a Knight Questor last year for WHQ: Silver Tower.  At some point during that process I made the decision to put together a Stormcast force. 

wp-1504213451943.jpg

This first batch represent a few experiments in assembly and painting.  I hope that future additions will be a little tighter.
I am pretty pleased with these all the same.

wp-1504213451977.jpg

This many figures will cover me for some Age of Sigmar: Skirmish games that I have planned for a couple of weeks time.  Combined with the terrain that I have been putting together, it should be a very Mortal Realms themed affair.

wp-1504214061520.jpg

wp-1504213451915.jpg

Some more to come soon I hope.  More info on my blog for any interested.

Totally brilliant.

like that the metal actually looks like metallic paint with a gloss finish = all the better for it.

also - big improvement with the uncovered heads - so much more character.

If you could give any info about where you've sourced this heads from sometime (or a link if you already have)?

edit: I see your blog post now - you're going give details about the heads there at some point?

edit2: I've read the Paulo post now: firstly I see that I'm probably suggesting that your approach to the armour is much simpler than is the case - so apologies for that. However it's done, it's looks fab.

Also, I guess many hobbyists are just going to 'know' where the head swaps come from, but my knowledge isn't so encycolpaedic, so please do elaborate if poss'.

Thanks for the kind feedback :) 

6 hours ago, harrocks said:

If you could give any info about where you've sourced this heads from sometime (or a link if you already have)?

The heads are all Citadel, all Space Marine parts in this batch apart from the Knight Questor, who has an Eldar Guardian head.

I picked many of the heads up in a bits box in a game shop.  I had a few myself left over from other projects and I also trawled through a few sites that sell bits to get some more.  I couldn't tell which kit each head comes from though I'm afraid.

Generally I have used Space Marine heads on the models that I have assembled so far, but I have a few from other Citadel sources.  The Marine ones fit a little better I think, but its a case by case thing really.

Im glad that you like them :)

5 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

These are amazing, some of the best Stormcast I've ever seen. I love the eclectic mix of heads (I think I can name where most of them come from), and the nice, subtle, slightly weathered colours. Really impressed!

Thank you Double Misfire, very kind.  I will have more to show soon-ish if plans work out.  The bare heads and a-little-bit-of-weathering themes will continue I expect.

As a fellow "Stormhost with bare heads" player, I approve!

I'm glad you have one using the the older plastic Space Wolf head with the stand-up hairdo, that's one of the potential heads I still have, and was unsure of whether it would work, aesthetically.

If you are unsure of where some workable Space Marine heads come from, I can probably help, as I just spent quite a bit of time trolling bitz for mine.  For sure the head on the Retributor is a Blood Angel head, and there's several more with that same look from the Blood Angels.

On 02/09/2017 at 7:16 PM, Aegisgrimm said:

As a fellow "Stormhost with bare heads" player, I approve!

I have been watching your thread for ideas.  Hopefully we can cross-pollinate our ideas from here on :)
Head swaps are simple, but thematic conversions.  In this case I think that the marine heads work pretty much perfectly.
But who knows what subtleties can come up with between us :)

I'm glad you have one using the the older plastic Space Wolf head with the stand-up hairdo, that's one of the potential heads I still have, and was unsure of whether it would work, aesthetically.

Although there is something to be said for limiting the heads used to certain themes, I dont have the patience and I crave the variety.  The background for the Stormcast encourages an eclectic mix of members in most Stormhosts, so I figured that a mix would be fun.  That head may not suit the style of the armour particularly well, but it suits the character of the reforged warrior wearing it.

For sure the head on the Retributor is a Blood Angel head, and there's several more with that same look from the Blood Angels.

Bare Blood Angel heads are particularly good for generating a look suited for this sort of project.  Blood Angel heads have a  classical look that fits very nicely on Stormcast.

Thanks for the feedback Aegisgrimm!

On 06/09/2017 at 4:42 AM, Ulf said:

@Double Misfire Thank you. That's why I clicked on this thread. I was all like "are they all bound for Mu-Mu Land? I hope so!"

@cheetor Man, I dig those glowing eyes. That's seriously restrained OSL, and I think it's so much more effective than when people go over the top. You can't see it, but I'm slow-clapping. :)

Mumuland is a province of Ghyran, where the Justified Ancients have built their fortifications on a mystical site.  They congregate in the centre of this building, a vaulted chamber known as "The White Room" ;)

Im glad that you like the eyes Ulf.  They are a possibly a little over the top even so, but y'know, reincarnated angelic warriors cast down via lightning bolt to prosecute a thunderous crusade can handle an up-to-eleven sort of approach.

20 hours ago, metalface13 said:

Really nice! I remember seeing your questor last year, you've put together a really nice warband now. I'm curious to hear more on how the purple armor was achieved.

Thanks for the feedback metalface13 :)

I tried a few different approaches to see what ways would give me the best mix of the finish that I wanted for time spent.  I'm still refining it, but essentially it's a series of purple washes over a high contrast metallic drybrush, followed by some bright silver edge highlighting.  Its quite a forgiving technique :)

I hope that helps.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:42 AM, cheetor said:

Thanks for the feedback metalface13 :)

I tried a few different approaches to see what ways would give me the best mix of the finish that I wanted for time spent.  I'm still refining it, but essentially it's a series of purple washes over a high contrast metallic drybrush, followed by some bright silver edge highlighting.  Its quite a forgiving technique :)

I hope that helps.

Yeah man! I want to try this out with a different color for my tzeentch themed chaos renegades team. Would necron silver over leadbelcher be "high contrast" enough?

• 3 months later...

wp-1515575398262.jpg

I painted a unit of Flagellants to hang around with my Stormcast, to push the faux-angelic vibe a little.  They also help to show that Stormcast are not in fact Masters of the Universe figures that have landed on my gaming table, but GIANT POST HUMANS!

wp-1515575398180.jpg

The associated blog post is HERE for anyone interested in more photos and some talk about the various "whys" involved in adding these guys to the force.

wp-1515576035614.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Archived