Hammer strike Battalion

Alfascozzesi

Question

The list I have made for a 2k SCE includes the hammer strike battalion. I have never actually used this battalion yet and wondered about the exact ruling.

My plan is to use the prosecutors large move to get to a point close to the enemy where the battalion rules say I can  transport my Paladins to within 6" of them.

It doesn't say there is any minimum distance away from the enemy. Does this mean I can transport the Paladins so that one model from each unit of Paladins is within 6" of the prosecutors and the further paladin from each paladin unit closer to the enemy so I was for instance 3" away from them with my closet paled in model?

Hope this makes sense. 

14 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Nico said:

The furthest Paladins can be set up 3" away from the enemy so just don't double 1 the charge.

Was this not clarified in the FAQ as a setup and into combat? Finally killing that setup/move argument.

Or did I miss a tweak to the warscroll (they specify that the warscroll has to state any range limits):

THE BATTLE BEGINS

Q: What is ‘set-up’, exactly?

A: ‘Set-up’ is typically when a unit is placed on the table
during deployment, but can also refer to a unit being
deployed in a location other than on the battlefield,or being put into play once the game has started (aunit using the Stormcast Eternal Warrior Chamber’sLightning Strike, the Chameleon Skinks’ ChameleonAmbush, or the Treelord’s Spirit Paths ability, forexample). Models can set up within 3" of the enemy,even if they are set up in the movement phase, unlessnoted otherwise in the rules for the ability that allows
them to be set up once the battle is under way.

The warscroll in the latest SCE battletome mentions no limit unless the prosecutors are killed (then it is 9").

That's what I argued for months, but then people said it was a move as well as a setup (which is a contradiction but so be it). I gave up arguing the point. 

There are still a small number of pure set up rules - Camo Skinks, Changehost, Split etc.. which do allow you to deploy within 3".

1 hour ago, Nico said:

I gave up arguing the point. 

I am pretty sure I recall arguing your side in some threads about the difference between setup and 'this counts as a move' and then moving.

I gave up too but I am nearly certain that FAQ question is different from before... (it should be in magenta though which it isn't. Hm.)

Anyway, Hammerstrike will see much less use - even with the Celestial Vindicators bonus being cleared up (now a 12" deployment range from their prosecutors). Ain't many gonna run with the 400 points formation cost for that. Although I might test it out...

On rereading I understand your point Nico regarding not getting closer than 3" to the enemy if it counts as a move as well. 

Thats fine by me, then I charge and get into combat. The hammer strike is costing 220 points on my list on Azyr which a small unit of r etributors but worth it I think for the initial strike with bonus from the prosecutors.

3 hours ago, Alfascozzesi said:

On rereading I understand your point Nico regarding not getting closer than 3" to the enemy if it counts as a move as well. 

Thats fine by me, then I charge and get into combat. The hammer strike is costing 220 points on my list on Azyr which a small unit of r etributors but worth it I think for the initial strike with bonus from the prosecutors.

I am pretty sure now it's within 3 but maybe its just not worth starting that debate up again!

Hammerstrike is a set-up, you can set-up within 3" of the ennemy. Not much things to say about that. Sure, it count as a move.  However, the movement rules state you can't Move withing 3" of enemy models, but Set Up, according to the FAQ is not a movement and follows only the rules stated for that particular ability. No debate to have here.

People are confused by the "count as a move", but it's manly here to prevent people to set-up the paladins, then move, then charge or other bullshitery like this

Archived