Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

Plus it is odd to not see any MW production especially after the KoS on-foot had the +1 to hit aura that directly tied into Hosts, Hexes, and Cairn Wraith's MW abilities.

If it was an army wide only on unmodifiable 6's the mounted KoS aura would suddenly make more sense.

But yes still speculation

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To veryone that says FT would be too powerful you need to remember that we live in a world without dammed.

Currently the only way to increase hits is with the foot KoS and that is a wholly within command ability that is also limited by the model needing to be the General on the current scroll. If you look at the new core rules it specifies that some command abilities may only be used if the model is the General (KoS is one of these).

Also every army now has access to minus 1 to hit via endless spells. So the chances of getting your mortals off is very rare on a 6.

If it's a faction wide buff it adds a little extra synergy to some of our units and the heroes who buff attacks. I don't think it would be broken, it would be powerful but not broken.

1 hour ago, ClockworkGeo91 said:

Are people disappointed so far the NH? Main attraction to me is the 4+ Etheral tbh. Having a reliable decent save will be a nice change for me!

Also liking the synergy potential with the heroes and (weakish) battleline. 

I'm just glad theres new Death models, which if you discount The End Times was limited to the Shadespire Warband and the original Knight of Shrouds.

So much we don't know yet, I agree a whole army that ignores rend is good, but as many others have mentioned I was (and still am) expecting a whole army that can inflict mortal wounds on a 6 to hit roll. It's not amazing but it was something associated with nighthaunt along with the ethereal rule, hope it hasn't been dropped. Hoping chainrasps have a 4+ save on their battletome warscroll too!

Yeah the concept of invuln saves and mw across the board really sold me on the theme and aesthetic of the army, very anti-elite. The new horde/swarmy feel is throwing me a bit, but it all depends on the battletome.

Still holding out for FT and deployment shenanigans. Actually hoping for some type of mid-game redeployment rather than just deepstrike, to represent some good old fashioned poltergeist ghosting around.. if you look at how broad and army-defining the Deepkin's turn based theme is, we could expect some really neat defining features

31 minutes ago, El Syf said:

So much we don't know yet, I agree a whole army that ignores rend is good, but as many others have mentioned I was (and still am) expecting a whole army that can inflict mortal wounds on a 6 to hit roll. It's not amazing but it was something associated with nighthaunt along with the ethereal rule, hope it hasn't been dropped. Hoping chainrasps have a 4+ save on their battletome warscroll too!

Can anyone point to a source for this claim that all night haunt would do mortals?  

18 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Can anyone point to a source for this claim that all night haunt would do mortals?  

I believe it is stated on one of the stormcast podcasts, although I can't recall which one.

It would be odd if they didn't as the spirits that float around Nagash, the mortarchs, coven throne, mortis engine, black coach and bloodseeker palanquin all have frightful touch. Too much of a precedent to ignore surely? Although this is games workshop so anything is possible.

Edit: although I've just noticed the blak coach isn't ethereal! ???

I love the models, even more than the ID, but I would prefer some more elite stuff,... everything is cheap, even the Mortach of Grief...  a lot of stuff to paint, fortunately it will be faster and more fun than a Khorne horde or even ID infantery...

"Offensively, the Nighthaunt tear through foes with a deluge of mortal wounds, whether at range or with their Frightful Touch. No matter how armoured your foe is, you’ll be able to take them out."

From nighthaunt faction focus on the community site 14/05/2018 granted it's somewhat vague but a deluge should mean more than the units we already have.

1 hour ago, El Syf said:

"Offensively, the Nighthaunt tear through foes with a deluge of mortal wounds, whether at range or with their Frightful Touch. No matter how armoured your foe is, you’ll be able to take them out."

From nighthaunt faction focus on the community site 14/05/2018 granted it's somewhat vague but a deluge should mean more than the units we already have.

Yeah this is also why I was confused/disappointed by the Myrmourn Banshees.  They seemed like the most likely option for the "...at range... part of that sentence with banshee screams or something.  Those new banshees are still good and I love the models, and will definately have a full unit tow try out, but I was expecting some ranged units of some kind and with the banshees not being ranged I don't see anything else that is leaked being a ranged unit.  I guess they were just referencing hero level Banshees and spells.

Also, saying "Nighthaunt... with their Frightful Touch..." seems to be pointing to a army wide effect of some kind.  Keep in mind though, Frightful Touch could have received a full rework, it doesn't just have to be what we have already seen.  However, some units retaining the FT on their warscrolls also facilitates the ability making it out of the Nighthaunt allegiance and into normal Death.  For instance all the Spirit Hosts and 'mount' related Spirit Host attacks having Frightful Touch even when they are not in Nighthaunt Allegiance doesn't really say anything about the army version.  It could be as simple as, "Unless already included on their warscroll, units in a Nighthaunt Allegiance gain the Frightful Touch ability."  which would easily explain why things like Hexwraiths and Spirit Hosts didn't get any points shifts and not lose their FT in Legions of Nagash.

It's something they need to clear up soon really, hopefully they've just done it for the starter set so as not to take the shine of the golden boys (sorry about the pun),  who seem quite overpowered compared to the nighthaunt to oppose them. 

Maybe it's even not called FT for an army wide mortal wound output for NH alliance maybe we get additional rules as it was for the legions 

It's all speculation we need to wait for the new bt 

Before the bt comes we can use the LoN legions 

I understand they wanted the NH to be "hordy"/cheap, and maybe wanted them to have an opposed style than the SC in the game box, but I find they went to far on some warscrolls. For exemple the giant and terrifying steed of the mounted Knight of Shrouds is hitting like a doddery Grot, 2 attacks, 4+ to hit, 5+ to wound, rend -, damage 1 ?? How many of those do we need to kill the regenerating SC general on Griph-Charger ???

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_knight_of_shrouds_knighthaunt_2018.pdf

One of the YouTube channels (it was either mini war gaming or kitetsu) that got the box early said there was a note that the warscrolls/points were temporary and would change, presumably when the battletome comes out. 

15 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

And so far no ranged units at all, discounting the Guardians (newly nerfed) arcane bolt.

I'm hoping the Myrmourn Banshees warscroll is a fluke, being yet more 1 wound melee troops with a gimmickey power-up was a bit of a letdown

Oddly I'm quite liking the plethora of 1 wound models and resurrection mechanics.  It makes the army really unique to play and offers something completely different in terms of tactics.  I think the only thing that I'm unsure about with the Myrmourn is that they only have an 18" unbind rather than 30" which means they need to get quite a bit closer to the enemy than a wizard.  Still plan to run a unit of them though :)

Archived