Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

15 hours ago, Rid said:

Let us know how you get on :-D

13 hours ago, GonnaWorkForFood said:

Would be really interested to know how it all went down .

9 hours ago, ChippyRick said:

I think the list could do well against the Pestilens in terms of not needing the rend. Be interested to see how you chew through the numbers of models.

All the lists I have written lately pull in allies or summoming that includes rend or high damage (or both) as I feel in many matchups we will need this. 

I havnt played yet under GHB 2017 but i have played against the Nighthaunts at BLACKOUT2017 the weekend before last and without formations I like the idea of summoning units to keep the drops down for the posibility of getting to choose first turn. Think it is quite important if your going with lower numbers in the army to start of or in the overall list if your not looking at summoning cheap bodies at all.

Ayo! So pestilence list was;

vermin lord

2 plague furnaces 

2 units of 20ish plague monks

48 (ish) cencer bearers 

2 x warp lightning cannons 

Summary was mourngul failed to come on until turn 3 (bad luck) didnt win priority till turn 3 which hurt me a lot, and warp lightning cannons rolling lots of 1's & 2's haha

if i got the double turn and mourgul came on earlier i deffs think it could have been a very different game but learnt lots about pestilence with my first game against them

highlight would be my general taking off 6 wounds off a plague furnace in combat haha

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Mortarch said:

Hey Chris, listened to the podcast, some good stuff in there. There was mention that the two nighthaunt lists featured in your tournament were largely similar and that they placed in very similar positions. Havent been able to find a copy of the lists on line or the standings from that tournament... curious to see where they sat in the rankings and what came out on top.

Thanks

M

Thanks for listening @Mortarch, glad you got something out of it.

Off the top of my head I believe they finished 22nd & 23rd out of 80ish players. The standings are available in the events section of the forum (event is called BLACKOUT) and all the lists will be made available in the results thread there by the end of the week. If I remember I'll share here as well.

Cheers,

So I got to play my first game last night.

Spirit hosts with lightshard of the harvest moon can cause some serious dmg.  

The banshee underperformed by rolling a 5 for every single scream. 

My wraith proved quite capable in combat. Rerolls to hit on units above 5 models means he's getting those hits in and can do some good dmg for 60 points.

I feel like nighthaujt will do amazing against armies that don't deal mortal wounds. But will find it tough to take on armies that can smash out a large amount of mortal wounds, due to low wound counts.

It wasnt a competitive outing but it felt fun to play, and seemed capable if used correctly ( I'll need another of practice before I use them correctly) 

7 hours ago, Ashtyn said:

So I got to play my first game last night.

Spirit hosts with lightshard of the harvest moon can cause some serious dmg.  

The banshee underperformed by rolling a 5 for every single scream. 

My wraith proved quite capable in combat. Rerolls to hit on units above 5 models means he's getting those hits in and can do some good dmg for 60 points.

I feel like nighthaujt will do amazing against armies that don't deal mortal wounds. But will find it tough to take on armies that can smash out a large amount of mortal wounds, due to low wound counts.

It wasnt a competitive outing but it felt fun to play, and seemed capable if used correctly ( I'll need another of practice before I use them correctly) 

as chris said above, they can do well, top 3rd of the field is amazing considering how little we have to choose from

im finding that picking your targets correctly and positioning is what makes or breaks this army, low model count means we dont have much room for error but i think thats a good thing for being a better general in time

Played in a local tourney today, came 5/10th with 2 majors and a major loss.

i faced stormcast at starstrike, my Mourngul were able to tank his hammerstike force and celestant prime, then my two small Spirit Hosts deepstriked on to the comet shards for a comprehensive win.

i faced sylvaneth at scorched earth, held my three objectives turn 1, got to his flanking objectives and raised them for 3vp each and his raising of two of mine later only netted 1 each.

final game of battle for the pass was against Khorne, a Mourngul killed the exposed bloodsecrator but then died to blood boils, my other chewed thru 40 reavers and 10 warriors unwounded but then the mortal wound output of a brass stampede did him in. I couldn't keep the Khorne away from my objectives with those juggers mortal wounding me to my doom!

so overall I'm very happy with how the force plays, two Mourngul are situational, one is good but the other will be best replaced by more spirit hosts and another Banshee.

i ran the 10 Hexwraiths as one unit, but I think they would be better as 2x5 and dash about for objectives.

Hey guys 2 quick questions

1. Mournguls have a base size of 60mm correct?

2. How do people feel about nefrata being allied into nighthaunt? She gives two spells, the possibility to make herself immune to rend, and can act as a small hammer due to her decent dmg stats.

Let me know what you guys think.

42 minutes ago, Ashtyn said:

Hey guys 2 quick questions

1. Mournguls have a base size of 60mm correct?

2. How do people feel about nefrata being allied into nighthaunt? She gives two spells, the possibility to make herself immune to rend, and can act as a small hammer due to her decent dmg stats.

Let me know what you guys think.

1. Yep Mourngul is on a 60 round.

2. Love Neferata but my main concern with allying her in is the loss of the command ability.  That bonkers command ability is one of the main reasons to take her and without it (allied units can't be generals) she feels a bit over costed.  I have not play tested it, but that is my gut feeling.

3 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

1. Yep Mourngul is on a 60 round.

2. Love Neferata but my main concern with allying her in is the loss of the command ability.  That bonkers command ability is one of the main reasons to take her and without it (allied units can't be generals) she feels a bit over costed.  I have not play tested it, but that is my gut feeling.

agreed, id rather a vamp lord and some blood knights, resilient and pack a punch

Hi guys! I have 1200 points competitive tournament coming in couple of weeks. I was thinkin to run this list:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Leaders
Tomb Banshee (80)
- General
- Command Trait : Terrifying Entity
Tomb Banshee (80)
- Artefact : Midnight Tome
Cairn Wraith (60)

Cairn Wraith (60)
Units
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
Behemoths
Mourngul (400)
Total: 1200/1200 Points

I want to have Mourngul included because I just got the model. Even tho it takes 1 third of the points. Everything else is open. How you rate the list? I would like to keep it  pure nighthaunt but if its necessary I might buy Vargheists or something.

played against  blades of khorne today playing knife to the heart senario, which i was super worried about

- shooty blood thirster

-skull taker

- stoker

-banner

- 2 slaughter priests

- 30 letters

-10 reavers

- 10 blood warriors

- skull cannon

- skull grinder

- gore pilgrims

i took

Leaders
Tomb Banshee (80)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Cairn Wraith (60)
- Artefact: Lightshard of the Harvent Moon 
Cairn Wraith (60)

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

obviously his list isnt super optimal but got the major win by controlling both objectives.

highlight was the letter bomb not charging first turn and getting reduced to 2 with half my army charging it, 2 banshee's screaming away the unit of reavers in 1 turn and the rest of the blood warriors and 1 hex wraith putting 4 wounds on the blood thirster haha

go nighthaunt :)

2 hours ago, Josh said:

played against  blades of khorne today playing knife to the heart senario, which i was super worried about

- shooty blood thirster

-skull taker

- stoker

-banner

- 2 slaughter priests

- 30 letters

-10 reavers

- 10 blood warriors

- skull cannon

- skull grinder

- gore pilgrims

i took

Leaders
Tomb Banshee (80)
- General
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

obviously his list isnt super optimal but got the major win by controlling both objectives.

highlight was the letter bomb not charging first turn and getting reduced to 2 with half my army charging it, 2 banshee's screaming away the unit of reavers in 1 turn and the rest of the blood warriors and 1 hex wraith putting 4 wounds on the blood thirster haha

go nighthaunt :)

nice to see a positive result.

How'd it feel playing without a caster?

13 hours ago, Ashtyn said:

nice to see a positive result.

How'd it feel playing without a caster?

I feel like it would be nice the lightshard helped 6x spirit host and the mourngul delete 20ish bloodletters vs a save i didnt need and damage that couldnt be matched by the lightshard

its all situational i suppose

So I played a 1000 point game against tzeentch last night. The demons  were controlled by Nico himself.

It highlighted nighthaunts weakness to magic and it's weakness at low point games ( lack of units and strong ally options under 200 points)  

For a 2000 point game I'm inclined to include arkhan as an ally. I know he will be a missile magnet. But his ability to dispel with a 2+ buff and his ability to summon on a 3+ will provide the ability to summon up some tarpits or extra assassins if needed. 

Ideally I'd like to try a 220 point summoning pool. This would enable me to summon harbingers if I see an opening to snipe a key hero. And it also allows for a few zombie and skeleton tarpits, or even a sneaky batswarm if the enemy is shooting heavy. 

I really hope I can get a 2000 point game in soon! Will definitely post more feedback when I do. 

I played a game earlier in the week against nurgle daemons and a glotkin & epidemus in battle for the pass

his list was roughly ;

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Epidemius (180)
Great Unclean One (240)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (270)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
6 x Daemon Plague Toads of Nurgle (200)
- Tamurkhan's Horde Battleline

Units
3 x Nurglings (80)
3 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (220)

1x plague claw catapault

i took;

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
- General
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)

Battleline
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Units
3 x Fell Bats (80)
- Allies

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Took wraiths mainly due to high LD being daemons and felbats because i felt they would do more work than bat swams and he didnt have any other real scary shooting

long and short was i won by 1 point. Wraits with Dam 2 and big units helped heaps, left my objective open and a drone on 2 wounds scored 8 points because i made a mistake.

Highlight was the GUO being left with 3 wounds after 6 spirit hosts attacked with LSOTHM, did something like 18-20 mortal wounds and he rolled like a boss on his nurgle saves.

go nighthaunt!

also going to a local 2k one day tournament in a couple weeks, going to take this as my list and see how i go;

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
- General
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)

Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Units
2 x Bat Swarms (80)
- Allies

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)
Mourngul (400)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 80 / 400

I think Blood knights and a Vamp lord are stronger and more flexible than another mourngul but I'm just using the models I have got. But thinking anti infantry and character hunters will be mournguls baby sat each by a banshee,  wraiths to baby sit the spirit hosts for big/ elite stuff and bat swams because a 12"  -1 to shooting isnt bad thing i think

Should go ok hopefully!

Finally got some more game time vs kharadron overlords, and I have enough spirits n hexes not to run the 2nd Mourngul.

played duality of death, Mourngul grabbed one objective and sat on it all game, eating a few arkanauts to heal up, Hexwraiths and my banshees died early on and it was left of the spirit hosts to do most of the hard work taking out two frigates and 10 thunderers.

if I can bring myself to do it and make more hosts then dropping some more Hexwraiths for them could be the way forward.

On 05/10/2017 at 8:00 AM, Rid said:

Finally got some more game time vs kharadron overlords, and I have enough spirits n hexes not to run the 2nd Mourngul.

played duality of death, Mourngul grabbed one objective and sat on it all game, eating a few arkanauts to heal up, Hexwraiths and my banshees died early on and it was left of the spirit hosts to do most of the hard work taking out two frigates and 10 thunderers.

if I can bring myself to do it and make more hosts then dropping some more Hexwraiths for them could be the way forward.

Yeah other than hold stuff up my hex wraiths do nothing, i feel like i going to drop mine for a second mourngul and drop a wraith

Even though I'm still pretty annoyed at GW ****** over Nighthaunt on allies, I think I'm going to go ahead and at least build out a 1000 point Nighthaunt army from my Skirmish warband. Right now I've got one unit of each of Tomb Banshee, Cairn Wraith, Hexwraiths and  Spirit Hosts and I've got a Mourngul in the mail(typically I'd stay away from FW stuff outside of Bloodbowl, but it's 1/3 of the non-hero Nighthaunt army options). To fill out to close to 1000, I'm probably going to add in an allied unit of Varghiests since they look ghoulish enough to fit a ghostly army better than all the Transylvania looking vampires that make up the rest of Soulblight.

Going beyond 1000 points, I don't think I can make my self buy that awful looking black coach, maybe if I can find a cool conversion of the coach itself(maybe something based on the Mortis Engine to make the SC box useful?) and find some better horses(maybe hexwraith horsies?), but what I'm probably looking at for the final 1000 points if I go to 2000 is two boxes of the Tormented spirits box, an extra unit of spirit hosts and probably bring in one of the Morghast units as allies(like the Varghiest they're a close enough aesthetic fit).

As far as the abilities got, I do like the Ethereal Rulers. I mean I guess it's basically better summoning that doesn't have to be in 18" of a Wizard, doesn't waste spells, and make summoning the Mourngul much easier, so that's neat. In theory deep striking ghosts looks neat for scenarios with objective spread across the board. Midnight tome as an artefact also looks neat to turn a mostly useless Cairn Wraith into a cheap wizard. I don't have to worry about winning tournaments, but hopefully I can at least get a fun army to play out if.

All my games so far have used the reroll trait on a wraith and hidden him till everything was on the board, then he can be sacrificed as needed as inspiring presence is not high on my list of priorities haha.

Also used the midnight tome to buff a Mourngul most turns but also the occasional arcane bolt at heroes or to free up units from stragglers.

The light shard would have been handy in a few games when those 36 attacks from the big spirit hosts have fluffed but not at the loss of the tome.

Maybe we will get a battalion with the malign portents stuff and so not have to make the choice between the two artefacts!

All my games so far have used the reroll trait on a wraith and hidden him till everything was on the board, then he can be sacrificed as needed as inspiring presence is not high on my list of priorities haha.

Also used the midnight tome to buff a Mourngul most turns but also the occasional arcane bolt at heroes or to free up units from stragglers.

The light shard would have been handy in a few games when those 36 attacks from the big spirit hosts have fluffed but not at the loss of the tome.

Maybe we will get a battalion with the malign portents stuff and so not have to make the choice between the two artefacts!

Archived