Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

3 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

AoSMortrach-June13-LadyOlynder1eh.jpg

The new Mortarch is here, and seems to be a completely brand new character.

I did not expect to love this model after seeing the art for her in the video teaser, but even so it seems very static.  That said I don't dislike her, she has a lot of cool stuff going for her like the veil.  Like other GW models I have seen in the past the paint job might be doing her some disservice.  Mortarion looked terrible in his initial reveals, but on seeing the model in person it made all the difference.  That paint job really lacks any contrast.

I also really dislike her two bashee attendants but a quick conversion can swap them out for some Grim Ghast reapers or something cooler to me.  Overall, cool model, not a need to buy now model but one I will likely pick up eventually if only to convert and paint her.  I think she would look very good with some of the ethereal methods I am looking to attempt for my Nighthaunt going forward.

How fragile does she look though for real.  Maybe just removing the attendants will help as they are likely to snag on things and twist the supporting dress piece.  Her alone will likely be pretty self contained and easy to avoid breaking.

Oh and final thought, she could be good conversion fodder for a custom Necron C-Tan shard.  I wonder what base size she is.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nevar I'm betting a 60.

Also, I think the sculpt is great. Overall to me the whole range has a more Tim Burton feel to it and not the realistically undeath feel of older ranges. Just my perseption.

I like it! I'm a fan of both designs but I do like what they've done. 

9 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

@Nevar I'm betting a 60.

Overall to me the whole range has a more Tim Burton feel to it and not the realistically undeath feel of older ranges.

Amy Lee from Evanescence did a cover of Sally's Song from Nightmare Before Christmas.  I'm not a fan of either, but for some reason your remark - and the context of this character - made that song go off in my head.  How strange!

I’m a little sad that Isabella isn’t making a grand return as a power in her own right, but I’ve said many times that what death most needs in AoS character-wise is brand new names and faces grounded in the mortal realms, so I couldn’t be happier with our lovely new ghost queen.

Model wise, I think she looks great, though as I feared previously, I do think the model doesn’t do enough with that huge base, and there seems to be some very break- and wobble-prone narrow connections.  A bit of creative basing should help with all of that.

2 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

they havent said if they are summonable, i believe they would be as the guardian should be able to heal them? but if your going to use them for nighthaunt and not LoN then gravesites dont exist ;) 

I might hold off on them until the battletome as i personally think they dont work well with just using death as there allegiance when going pure NH.

*I honestly thought the deathbell would do more than 1 attack. They could of gave it a mechanic that affected bravery, raised the dead, cause some mortal wounds or stopped units from falling back.*

Rumour going round the net is that the deathbell can do mortal wounds to nearby units when it kills things, but in the demogame they got killed off before it could get used. If so Grimghasts might be viable, particularly if buffed by heroes.

54 minutes ago, Sception said:

I’m a little sad that Isabella isn’t making a grand return as a power in her own right, but I’ve said many times that what death most needs in AoS character-wise is brand new names and faces grounded in the mortal realms, so I couldn’t be happier with our lovely new ghost queen.

Model wise, I think she looks great, though as I feared previously, I do think the model doesn’t do enough with that huge base, and there seems to be some very break- and wobble-prone narrow connections.  A bit of creative basing should help with all of that.

Yea I think like putting graveyard type stuff to ad some structural integrity would be a good fit. Might even fit an entire statue or something!

First post here, looking at picking up nighthaunts as a second army with the new edition.

One thing I keep thinking, with the mortarch, is if it looked like she had some bloody tears, like a weeping angel, that could go a long way to making her more unnerving. That being said, love the model, not so much the attendants, but hey, I can make it work

3 hours ago, adreal said:

First post here, looking at picking up nighthaunts as a second army with the new edition.

One thing I keep thinking, with the mortarch, is if it looked like she had some bloody tears, like a weeping angel, that could go a long way to making her more unnerving. That being said, love the model, not so much the attendants, but hey, I can make it work

I agree with you, it is like they are too much on the nose as opposed to the more subtle horror of her skeletal veil.

Bloody tears could be cool, but even a darker color with a light highlight like the executioner would help bring out the visage of death behind the veil a but more.  I think it is really just the lack of contrast in the model overall that is throwing me off.

5 hours ago, adreal said:

GW is trying to keep his paint job kids friendly (they even succeed to make Nurgle look pretty), but it's a good idea for your to make it stand out

From the rumour thread:

Nighthaunt

• Chainrasp Horde --10 for 100  (40 for 360)
  • Guardian of Souls --120
  • Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed --140
  • Lord Executioner --100
  • Glaivewraith Stalkers --5 for 80
  • Grimghast Reapers --4 for 60 
  • Spirit Torment --120

24 minutes ago, ZaelART said:

From the rumour thread:

Nighthaunt

• Chainrasp Horde --10 for 100  (40 for 360)
  • Guardian of Souls --120
  • Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed --140
  • Lord Executioner --100
  • Glaivewraith Stalkers --5 for 80
  • Grimghast Reapers --4 for 60 
  • Spirit Torment --120

Wow those support heroes are more expensive than I imagined.  Specifically that Lord Executioner.

Grimghasts at 4 man units is weird no?  Chainrasps seem well priced.  Guardian of Souls is good at 120, but Spirit Torment is more pricey than I thought.

If that's the point cost of  a lord executioner, he's a shelf sitter from the start. 

Odd number for the reapers, but I'm also kind of happy that this doesn't force you to grab any extra easy to build kits. 

24 minutes ago, Elmir said:

If that's the point cost of  a lord executioner, he's a shelf sitter from the start. 

Odd number for the reapers, but I'm also kind of happy that this doesn't force you to grab any extra easy to build kits. 

Yeah according to the same source castigators and sequitors are costed in 3s. So odd sizes.

18 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

The new AoS site has a art intro video for the Soul Wars. I forget, is the Undead Pegasus going to be a character or a generic leader? Or do we not know yet?

Unless is that just Shroud Knight with some fancy wing effects?

It's a unique one like the craven king and miss oliander

1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:

Can't see myself taking many chainrasps if Spirit Hosts go unchanged. Only 20 more points for a better save and frightful touch makes them seem much better to me.

Turns out they are 80/280 so much more reasonable. Also, full points page:

MOD EDIT: Sorry, TGA has a strictly no leaked picture policy!

Archived