Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

6 hours ago, ClockworkGeo91 said:

Anyone’s read the battle report in this month’s white dwarf? 

The new banshees were tremendous at stopping the Stormcast caster and the Guardian of Souls, was an excellent support! 

Did they use chainrasp hordes as battleline?

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, the battle reports of WD are well narated, and beautiful, but honnestly, they mean nothing about troops efficiency. They give some tips, some bit of taste but that's all. Their armies are for the show (and the fun) but rarely I've seen them optimized.

I quite enjoy the reading each time though.

32 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

when you look at the (old) cairn side by side to the new NH, you can't imagine that it is a character/hero and the others are just troops... That looks a bit weird. I'm just guessing how to make him more hero....

AoSPreviewNighthaunt-June12-Range6h.jpg

I've been thinking of getting the new technical paints and wholly doing my battle line ethereal. The heros would have more solid parts but a mix and the general and characters would be mainly solid.

The article did mention that the Nighthaunt will be uniquely 'synergistic' compared to other armies in Age of Sigmar, and further reinforces this by pointing out that the soul wars box will include 4 heroes so you can start to learn how the army works.

This is cool because I love synergy focused armies because they are a more interesting moving puzzle to keep you thinking about while you play and will take much longer to 'get old' and temp you into buying a new army.

However, this increases my previously main concern about AoS2.0 and the small hero list we are seeing for Nighthaunt.  It remains remarkably easy from what we know to delete small hero units like Cairn Wraiths, Banshees, Knight of Shrouds, etc. even with the new Look Out Sir rule.  If our army relies too heavily on our 4-5 wound heroes, there will be some absolutely brutal match ups that become basically auto losses during deployment.  In my local meta that is against both my Storm Cast player and my Beast Claw player.  One can deal 6 mortal wounds at 18" on a 2+.  The other has dozens of archers who hit on 2+ and 3+ naturally with re-rolls from nearby heroes and the like.

Don't get me wrong, suicide hexwraith charges to tie up archers and the like might allow this to be evened out, especially when we can summon more hexwraiths potentially, but I am still uneasy about being a synergy reliant faction in AoS.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best right?

The endless spell barricades might also help.  But yeah, if the army really is dependant on 5 wound heroes with short range auras supporting melee units, then it probably won't be competitively viable.  At least, not on its own.  But we'll see.  Allegiance rules could count for a lot here.

16 hours ago, CDM said:

I've been thinking of getting the new technical paints and wholly doing my battle line ethereal. The heros would have more solid parts but a mix and the general and characters would be mainly solid.

That sounds like a good idea. Any idea on how you will do it? I'm looking for something similar, and fairly speedy for the chainrasps.

I think I would go with a white or light Grey primer the Hexwraith flame for the hordes 

More elite units same primer but at the top nighthaunt gloom with a transition to Hexwraith flame 

Heroes same primer pur nighthaunt gloom with appropriate colored weapons and armor

AoSMortrach-June13-LadyOlynder1eh.jpg

The new Mortarch is here, and seems to be a completely brand new character.

Behold, in all her glory – Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief!

Nagash is a being of exceptional power, but cannot be everywhere at once, and apportions his vast energies between the Mortarchs. Olynder is the most recently chosen of these dark lieutenants, gathering the previously disparate forces of the Nighthaunt into a terrifying spectral legion who fight at the spear tip of Nagash’s latest assault on the Mortal Realms.

In life, Olynder was a plotter and schemer who showed false remorse to improve her standing – now, in death, she is the possessor of a misery so deep and black it projects from her in vast, deadly waves. For most, to face her in battle is to lose hope and accept the inevitability of death – while those few with the will to stand before her are quickly obliterated by her deathly magics, or torn apart by spectral attendants.

it looks so fragile on the base. it will break every time you just look at it... 

i think i won't field her that often because it looks like the transport will break the modell

Unless she don't got such a ****** Command ability like the Knight of shrouds on Ethereal Steed. He's got +1 to Attacks for a Unit within 14" 

the new reapers and stalkers seem very underwhelming, watching the stream now and they didnt do much at all. The reapers have 2 attacks each 4,s and 3,s -1 damage 1 with the champion doing 1 attack with his bell 3,s and 3,s -1 damage 2.... they reroll to hit vs units with 5+ models...

The stalkers have 2 attacks each 4.s and 3,s no rend 1 damage, if they charge/get charged they reroll to hit. They both have 1 wound each and they move 8". The mounted knight of shrouds probably isnt worth it over a normal foot version. Id prefer a +1 to hit over +1 attack when they units on a 4+

The spirit hosts and chainrasps are doing all the work.....

*they'd have to be very cheap for me to consider them, a 4+ un-modifiable save is cool but they are only 1 wound a piece with bad damage output. I wasnt a fan of the stalkers to begin with looks wise and 4 of them only managed to kill a single liberator (not even the new sequitors with reroll saves!). I will most likely swap them out for more reapers who actually have rend...

and also the stormcast general has a way better command trait than the mounted KoS! and hes a wizard... who casts arcane bolt standard as d3 MW and d6 MW on a 10+, and he is great in cc with a 3+ save....*

9 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

the new reapers and stalkers seem very underwhelming, watching the stream now and they didnt do much at all. The reapers have 2 attacks each 4,s and 3,s -1 damage 1 with the champion doing 1 attack with his bell 3,s and 3,s -1 damage 2.... they reroll to hit vs units with 5+ models...

The stalkers have 2 attacks each 4.s and 3,s no rend 1 damage, if they charge/get charged they reroll to hit. They both have 1 wound each and they move 8". The mounted knight of shrouds probably isnt worth it over a normal foot version. Id prefer a +1 to hit over +1 attack when they units on a 4+

The spirit hosts and chainrasps are doing all the work.....

im watching the stream too and i am too very disappointed with the Grimghast Reapser and the non-Rat guys. Like i said above, the command ability with +1 Attacks could only be good on Hexwraiths or Chainrasp Hordes. Otherwise normal KoS and a bunch of Spirit Hosts.

The Torment and the Wizard seem to be very good buffing units, you won't miss in future Nighthaunt lists

1 minute ago, Bademeister said:

im watching the stream too and i am too very disappointed with the Grimghast Reapser and the non-Rat guys. Like i said above, the command ability with +1 Attacks could only be good on Hexwraiths or Chainrasp Hordes. Otherwise normal KoS and a bunch of Spirit Hosts.

The Torment and the Wizard seem to be very good buffing units, you won't miss in future Nighthaunt lists

im hoping the kit that makes the reapers with swords will be better than the actually scythes... when she got them in combat i was like hell yeah dice them up! then she showed what they can do and i was like huh? that it? They must be 80pts for 5, anything more and id be lost for words...

Are Grimghast Reapser or the non-Rat guys summonable units? If you use bigger units of them the could be like Graveguard. And these guys rock. The are quiet similiar to the Reapers. 

Imagine picking 3 Units of Zombies or Dire Wolves and a Legion of Nagash Army, so got get access to Grave Sites and Deathly Invocation. Pick a Vampirelord on Zombiedragon and Spirit Torments and the Nighthaunt Wizard, so you can buff then hard and get a lot of units back.

So if the cost something aroung 80-100 Points they could be worth a second look

8 minutes ago, Bademeister said:

Are Grimghast Reapser or the non-Rat guys summonable units? If you use bigger units of them the could be like Graveguard. And these guys rock. The are quiet similiar to the Reapers. 

So if the cost something aroung 80-100 Points they could be worth a second look

they havent said if they are summonable, i believe they would be as the guardian should be able to heal them? but if your going to use them for nighthaunt and not LoN then gravesites dont exist ;) 

I might hold off on them until the battletome as i personally think they dont work well with just using death as there allegiance when going pure NH.

*I honestly thought the deathbell would do more than 1 attack. They could of gave it a mechanic that affected bravery, raised the dead, cause some mortal wounds or stopped units from falling back.*

Archived