Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

I'm going to put my first post/rambling here, because it is Nighthaunt in spirit (pun intended).

My first, and only AOS model was Nagash, purely for nostalgia, as my last painted model for WFB was Nagash for Golden Demon '99.   I kept that entry, and might post pictures of it some day.  The new Nagash is painted and read to get based.  Seeing the two side by side is good for the chuckles.

The painting bug has grown, and I picked up Malignants, as I have seen many others do.  Beautiful models, and great visual coherency with both each other and Nagash.  That project is underway, and a black coach conversion is not far behind. 

The problem is that my next purchase was GHB17, to make an army, and I quickly learned the nonsense that is grand alliance Death.  The warscroll in the box has no points and as such cant be bought.  Nagash can't call Nighthaunt "battleline."  The Malignant box is over 400 points, so the kit can't be a Deathlord ally.   I could drop Nagash, but then I would also have to drop the Mortis Engine.   I refuse to drop all the cool models.

Here's the thing... I could add zombies and make it all official Death allegiance, but GW needs to get its act together with respect to Death.  I'm invoking page 75, last section, for my first army (points only pitched battle).  I will keep painting.  I'm up to 1360 points, and will probably double down on hexwraiths and spirit hosts to reach 1640.  I hear a good price for the warscroll is 125, so I'm at 1765.  I could add a necromancer or some wraiths to finish it off, or buckle down and figure out how to include artifacts and traits.  That's a ways off.

I will do some inventory searching.  My WFB collection must include some dusty skeletons and ghosts. 

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mortarch said:

Josh, were you using one of the above lists you mentioned? Did you identify any weak elements of the list?

6X wraiths

- reroll deep strike

- once pergame reroll hits

3x 6 spirit hosts

1x3 spirit hosts

2x 5 hex wraiths

2 bat swarms

mourngul 

main issues are heros being 4 wounds, lack of bodies to block & defend backline, -1 to hit make spirit hosts useless, other than that they are real fun

1 hour ago, grungolah said:

I'm going to put my first post/rambling here, because it is Nighthaunt in spirit (pun intended).

My first, and only AOS model was Nagash, purely for nostalgia, as my last painted model for WFB was Nagash for Golden Demon '99.   I kept that entry, and might post pictures of it some day.  The new Nagash is painted and read to get based.  Seeing the two side by side is good for the chuckles.

The painting bug has grown, and I picked up Malignants, as I have seen many others do.  Beautiful models, and great visual coherency with both each other and Nagash.  That project is underway, and a black coach conversion is not far behind. 

The problem is that my next purchase was GHB17, to make an army, and I quickly learned the nonsense that is grand alliance Death.  The warscroll in the box has no points and as such cant be bought.  Nagash can't call Nighthaunt "battleline."  The Malignant box is over 400 points, so the kit can't be a Deathlord ally.   I could drop Nagash, but then I would also have to drop the Mortis Engine.   I refuse to drop all the cool models.

Here's the thing... I could add zombies and make it all official Death allegiance, but GW needs to get its act together with respect to Death.  I'm invoking page 75, last section, for my first army (points only pitched battle).  I will keep painting.  I'm up to 1360 points, and will probably double down on hexwraiths and spirit hosts to reach 1640.  I hear a good price for the warscroll is 125, so I'm at 1765.  I could add a necromancer or some wraiths to finish it off, or buckle down and figure out how to include artifacts and traits.  That's a ways off.

I will do some inventory searching.  My WFB collection must include some dusty skeletons and ghosts. 

Yeah, getting Cheap battle line is your best bet. Or you can go Deathlord allegiance with Nagash and some Morghast which become battle line with Deathlord Allegiance. Then use your remaining points to summon your other units. 

35 minutes ago, bonzai said:

Yeah, getting Cheap battle line is your best bet. Or you can go Deathlord allegiance with Nagash and some Morghast which become battle line with Deathlord Allegiance. Then use your remaining points to summon your other units. 

Nagash + 3 units of Morghast is 1460.  Not enough room for 560 points of Nighthaunts, even if summoned.  It has to be zombies or skeletons and Death allegiance.  I will be dropping Nagash eventually, so I don't mind playing page 75 for a while.

I pulled out my ancient undead pile.  I have the following "stuff"  circa pre-1999

10 skeleton horsemen (bows and lances)

24 metal skeleton spearmen with shields, standard/musician/champion

4 GW ghosts

1 Ral Partha ghost (don't ask, I don't know)

2 skeleton chariots

5 mummies + champion

Vampire lord on skeletal steed

Mounted necromancer (still looking for upper half, but comes on a skeletal mount that I cant find anywhere else)

Old sculpt banshee

Citadel lich queen? (predate slot bases)

And I really hope I can find the rest of my 1987 plague cart (pulled by a single skeletal ox)

Hey guys, I'm wondering how you would think an unridden abyssal terror ( Arkhans version ) would look as a mourngul? 

The forge world model is wonderful, but I don't think it really fits with the hexwraith or spirit host models that GW produce. 

While the abyssal already has mini spirits on its model and if painted with a spectral theme could look quite impressive. 

What do you guys think? And what do you use as a mourngul if you don't use the forge world model? 

Hill all!

I was just making sOme consideration over nighthaunt , why you would Take hexwraith over spirit hosts? 

spirit hosts cost Less point x wound , and make more wounds x point even before taking into account armor save (where spirit hosts would have the upper hand with their mortal wound)

I'm hoping to get a game in on Thursday night. 

Unfortunately my model selection is damn small atm. I think I'll run this list.

Characters 

Cairn Wraith ( ruler of the spirit hosts )

vampire lord

banshee ( lightshard of the darkmoon )

banshee

Units

6 spirit hosts

6 spirit hosts

5 hexwraiths

I've got no idea what I'm going up against but will let you know how I go. 

If you think I should swap something out let me know. 

22 hours ago, Ashtyn said:

Hey guys, I'm wondering how you would think an unridden abyssal terror ( Arkhans version ) would look as a mourngul? 

The forge world model is wonderful, but I don't think it really fits with the hexwraith or spirit host models that GW produce. 

While the abyssal already has mini spirits on its model and if painted with a spectral theme could look quite impressive. 

What do you guys think? And what do you use as a mourngul if you don't use the forge world model? 

I think the model would look great as a Mournghul.  The only issue I foresee is the base size.  I think the Mourngul is on a 60 round.  I am not sure the abyssal terror would fit on a 60 and not lean forward.  Other than that the abyssal terror would work great.

I have seen people use Morghasts as Mournguls.  They have some spirit bits on the wings and some spectral skulls inside their skeletal bodies which can be used to highlight their ethereal nature.  Also they are about the same size and come on 60 rounds.  Just leave off some of the armor and convert some claws instead of the weapons and they look pretty good.

4 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

I think the model would look great as a Mournghul.  The only issue foresee is the base size.  I think the Mourngul is on a 60 round.  I am not sure the abyssal terror would fit on a 60 and not lean forward.  Other than that the abyssal terror would work great.

I have seen people use Morghasts as Mournguls.  They have some spirit bits on the wings and some spectral skulls inside their skeletal bodies which can be used to highlight their ethereal nature.  Also they are about the same size and come on 60 rounds.  Just leave off some of the armor and convert some claws instead of the weapons and they look pretty good.

Cheers mate!

im thinking of placing the abyssal at the very back of the 60 base, fingers crossed it works. 

I really do want to buy some morghasts. Maybe I'll do it when death lords get a book :) 

4 hours ago, Ashtyn said:

I'm hoping to get a game in on Thursday night. 

Unfortunately my model selection is damn small atm. I think I'll run this list.

Characters 

Cairn Wraith ( ruler of the spirit hosts )

vampire lord

banshee ( lightshard of the darkmoon )

banshee

Units

6 spirit hosts

6 spirit hosts

5 hexwraiths

I've got no idea what I'm going up against but will let you know how I go. 

If you think I should swap something out let me know. 

Im moving towards something similar;

- adding a vampire lord

- leaving summoning open to create a horde unit (3 units of zombies + bat swarm)

Okay so I finished painting my 2000pt list for a tourney on Saturday in 9 days haha

3 Banshees

2 wraiths

2 x 6 Spirit Hosts 

2 x 5 Hexwraiths 

2 Mourngul 

i might have time to drop a mourngul for more troops at troops at this rate!

14 minutes ago, Rid said:

i might have time to drop a mourngul for more troops at troops at this rate!

Definitely think this is the way to go.  With the changes to the warscroll I think 1 is all that is needed.  Plus as you said the extra points will get you a lot more troops to help with objectives.

20 hours ago, Josh said:

Im moving towards something similar;

- adding a vampire lord

- leaving summoning open to create a horde unit (3 units of zombies + bat swarm)

I should clarify that this list was for 1000 points. 

Let me know how a summoning heavy nighthaunt list goes!

5 hours ago, Ashtyn said:

I should clarify that this list was for 1000 points. 

Let me know how a summoning heavy nighthaunt list goes!

I plan on trying this when i get the models ready, with the intent of summoning 3 x 10 of zombies or some bat swarms;

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
- General
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 
Tomb Banshee (80)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Nightmare

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 1760/2000

21 hours ago, Josh said:

I plan on trying this when i get the models ready, with the intent of summoning 3 x 10 of zombies or some bat swarms;

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
- General
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 
Tomb Banshee (80)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Nightmare

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 1760/2000

Have you lost faith in lightshard of the dark moon? 

Will sus ^^

Playing 2k of Skaven Pestilence tonight! Pretty interested to see how i go agaisnt a horde army, i am taking the following until i get a Vamp lord and my zombies painted, would love to have some chaff and let the banshees scream away a unit;

Leaders
Tomb Banshee (80)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Cairn Wraith (60)
- Artefact: Lightshard of the Harvent Moon 
Cairn Wraith (60)

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 2000/2000

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Will sus ^^

Playing 2k of Skaven Pestilence tonight! Pretty interested to see how i go agaisnt a horde army, i am taking the following until i get a Vamp lord and my zombies painted, would love to have some chaff and let the banshees scream away a unit;

Leaders
Tomb Banshee (80)
- General
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Would be really interested to know how it all went down .

8 hours ago, Josh said:

Will sus ^^

Leaders
Tomb Banshee (80)
- General
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

I think the list could do well against the Pestilens in terms of not needing the rend. Be interested to see how you chew through the numbers of models.

All the lists I have written lately pull in allies or summoming that includes rend or high damage (or both) as I feel in many matchups we will need this. 

I havnt played yet under GHB 2017 but i have played against the Nighthaunts at BLACKOUT2017 the weekend before last and without formations I like the idea of summoning units to keep the drops down for the posibility of getting to choose first turn. Think it is quite important if your going with lower numbers in the army to start of or in the overall list if your not looking at summoning cheap bodies at all.

On 9/13/2017 at 11:31 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

Good morning mourning, Ghost Bros!

I thought you spooky kids may enjoy this week's episode of The Black Sun. I was joined by Nighthaunt Patriarch, Tyler Mengel (@Mengel Miniatures), for a quick chat about all the new GH2017 ghosty goodness. Check it out;

Happy haunting!
Chris

Hey Chris, listened to the podcast, some good stuff in there. There was mention that the two nighthaunt lists featured in your tournament were largely similar and that they placed in very similar positions. Havent been able to find a copy of the lists on line or the standings from that tournament... curious to see where they sat in the rankings and what came out on top.

Thanks

M

Archived