Hobby room storage - What are you doing?

Ben

I have just become a victim of my own restrictions, having no 'off topic' area on the forum. 

So this is my loft space refurb.  Interesting to some.  Not so much to others.  I'm going to be boarding out my loft space, mostly to have a decent area to store all my hobby stuff that is easy to access and not just piled in the garage.  

I'll be trying to figure out so ways to make stores/display system too.  

Photos to come of what I am doing but in the meantime, sow me where you store all you massed boxes of plastic crack.  

I've just partitioned  off my garage so I have space for my gaming table and hobby desk, but there are issues regarding the second fridge that I haven't quite solved yet. However I'm happy with progress so far. The next big job will be flooring for the room. This may just be concrete sealer and some big rugs, but I like the idea of tiling it with some big ole tiles. I'm also going to need to think about what to do about the other two walls as well - at the moment they are just plain block compared to the two plaster boarded walls. 

IMG_1402.JPG.d5c1aa8c74883e170bdaa026aee443c7.JPG

@Ben and @Stevewren - you guys are lucky to have an understanding spouse. Mine is, to a certain extent - she will tolerate me painting and playing AoS once a week with the kids, but I am not allowed an 'hobby room' - I am only allowed one official cupboard, which is not massive.

So much like a squirrel, I have found 5 or 6 places in the house where I can hide/store my hobby stuff.

There is somebody on Twitter (hopefully he will respond in this thread) that had, in my view, the perfect set up - it was this massive kitchen-island-type table, big enough for 2 gameboards, and underneath it was just MASSIVE drawers (12 of them in total, if I remember correctly) . The 'island' looked like it was made by some high-end Italian designer (modern, crisp, white, ...), and yet so steathly-uber-geek... 

2 hours ago, Veillotron said:

@Ben and @Stevewren - you guys are lucky to have an understanding spouse. Mine is, to a certain extent - she will tolerate me painting and playing AoS once a week with the kids, but I am not allowed an 'hobby room' - I am only allowed one official cupboard, which is not massive.

So much like a squirrel, I have found 5 or 6 places in the house where I can hide/store my hobby stuff.

There is somebody on Twitter (hopefully he will respond in this thread) that had, in my view, the perfect set up - it was this massive kitchen-island-type table, big enough for 2 gameboards, and underneath it was just MASSIVE drawers (12 of them in total, if I remember correctly) . The 'island' looked like it was made by some high-end Italian designer (modern, crisp, white, ...), and yet so steathly-uber-geek... 

Same. I have boxes scattered about. As long as they are near them that's ok. I requires constant shuffling around though which is a pain. 

I am looking for a place to store larger models such as the bloodthirster safely, that can (preferably) also be used to transport him around. He's not magnetised so putting him into a citadel case is a nightmare. Any suggestions? 

My wife is working overseas right now, so miniatures are all over the house. FREEEEEEDOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!   :P

In all seriousness, we have a hobby room where I can leave my WIP stuff out. Models I'm not currently working on stack up in cookie trays in my closet. 

hDbRfCj.jpg

eKlPowh.jpg

I'm quite lucky, I managed to find the funds to have a garage put on my drive, so I blocked the door, insulated the whole thing and set it up as a place where I can game and shoot my Youtube videos :)

Here's a few (out of date) photos of how it is set up:

IMG_20160921_185107615_HDR.jpg.539c54a012776b290acb0a46f0120fc9.jpg

IMG_20160921_185016177.jpg.820c92021759f466b0bb677bf21d4657.jpg

For storage I have a mix of KR cases and random shelving about the place :) You can see that the KR cases fit very nicely on the IKEA shelving I have in the second photo.

Currently all my stuff is in cartboard boxes upstairs in storage. All my painting stuff is on a shelve in easy to grab boxes next to the living room table. I have everything out in 2 minutes if I want to paint. Getting everything ready for a game about 15 minutes. I have 6 pieces of a table that click together in so many ways that at most it needs 3-5 extra pieces of terrain. 

43 minutes ago, Tidings said:

My wife is working overseas right now, so miniatures are all over the house. FREEEEEEDOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!   :P

In all seriousness, we have a hobby room where I can leave my WIP stuff out. Models I'm not currently working on stack up in cookie trays in my closet. 

hDbRfCj.jpg

eKlPowh.jpg

That last photo, are they Hydroponics trays? Are you growing those? :D How much water do they need?

If only miniatures grew on trees.

4 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

That last photo, are they Hydroponics trays? Are you growing those? :D How much water do they need?

If only miniatures grew on trees.

The last items look like brownie trays.

but I'm not sure that I would want to eat brownies from the offal-pit.... just say'n ...

5 hours ago, Ben said:

I'm going to be boarding out my loft space, mostly to have a decent area to store all my hobby stuff that is easy to access and not just piled in the garage.  

I've also considered storing some of my stuff in the loft but I have concerns about models and paint not coping well in the heat. I'm in the UK and my loft gets ridiculously hot during any heat waves (admittedly they don't happen that often). I think it's too well insulated and the heat just can't escape!

Has anyone had issues storing things in the loft?

6 hours ago, Veillotron said:

https://wargamingworkshop.com/gaming/wargaming-room/ 

Is this the same one? Always loved this room!

15 hours ago, Ben said:

I have just become a victim of my own restrictions, having no 'off topic' area on the forum.

I made this suggestion. You just need to listen to me more often.

But I think it's an appropriate topic.

qiHwm74.jpg?1

This was a year ago. Since then it has tripled in size and spread into the living room. It's getting it's own room in October though, the wife and I are moving out of a 1B1B apartment into a 3B2B house that I can convert a room into a hobby cave (she said a month ago).

1 hour ago, harrocks said:

as far as the first post goes: please retain that policy and keep this forum free of 'off-topic' misery.

it really isn't hard for people to find outlets for that kind of discussion elsewhere.

What do you mean?

Everyone is having fun here. All are positive on topic posts. Perhaps you are misinterpreting posts and bringing your own negativity here?  

I boarded out my loft pretty much for GW storage purposes, along with a bit of other household stuff.   I built a shelf into the frame that supports my water tank, if I was putting more shelving up there I'd measure out the size of GW boxes and make them fit more precisely so I could fit more in.  I've also got a little desk space and seat where I can work organising hobby stuff up there without having to carry stuff up and down my loft ladder.

Wheeled underbed type plastic boxes might also be useful to store things under the eaves where it's hard to get to.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, Ben said:

So this is my loft space refurb.  Interesting to some.  Not so much to others.  I'm going to be boarding out my loft space, mostly to have a decent area to store all my hobby stuff that is easy to access and not just piled in the garage.  

I'll be trying to figure out so ways to make stores/display system too.  

Photos to come of what I am doing but in the meantime, sow me where you store all you massed boxes of plastic crack.  

Do you have a roof space with the V type structures in it? there are some kits you can buy online that create flexible shelving on the V supports that could be great for storage etc.

like this:

IMG_0612.jpg

If the house is fairly new, it is likely that the actual ceiling joists will be fairly weak and so storing boxes on them isn't a great idea.

Hope that helps  :)

Archived