NEW death model - thoughts?

kcjling

It's the 'Knight of Shrouds'.  It was described as 'a herald of Nagash', but that's not what its name is.  Based on its actual name and its looks, I'd say Nighthaunt.

I absolutely love it, but the announcement made it sound like we won't be getting it till some time in 2018, so I won't be stirring from my crypt just yet.  Especially after the GH2017 and Compendium updates, which I found to be tremendously disheartening.

I hope this a herald to a proper release. Perhaps my theory of a new range might be right? Considering nighthaunts have allegiance abilities in the handbook. Considering this guy is the a herald of nagash I suspect he might also be a deathlord. 

Who knows?  Nighthaunts got subfaction rules in the GH, so they're not getting their own release any time soon, but this model is slated for *some time* in 2018, so that hardly counts as soon, maybe a full nighthaunt release wave & new battle tome will accompany it?

Then again, maybe not.  This model is explicitly part of some upcoming event that will see one such model for each grand alliance.  As such, it's possible there won't be any other death models released alongside it.  Could just be a stand alone thing.  Who knows?  Really probably isn't a good idea to get any hopes up over it.

58 minutes ago, Veillotron said:

Per WarhammerWeekly, GW confirmed that he's Nighthaunt - the live show just ended on Youtube, but I strongly recommend you watch it as Vince shared a lot more info than what is available on the GW community website...

WarhammerWeekly was at Nova and said they confirmed him as Nighthaunt. Which sounds awesome to me.

2 hours ago, Sception said:

It's the 'Knight of Shrouds'.  It was described as 'a herald of Nagash', but that's not what its name is.  Based on its actual name and its looks, I'd say Nighthaunt.

I thnik it will be "real" Nighthaunt General. A much better choice to the poor Cairn Wraith or Banshee Generals. 

Very much like the model. I've always loved the Wight King, and this looks like a pretty decent spectral counterpart. The helmet is a great parallel to the Grave Guard and wight helms, with nice old fashioned style to it, including the wings. 

I also like that the model has taken cues  from the Cairn Wraith. It's got the same hunchback and ragged cloak. The way that the cloak thickens up and becomes ectoplasm right at the bottom is very cool

But I love the sword, it looks like a proper longsword with space for both hands, someone really did their research on it.

Most of all I love that between this and the Shadespire Skeletons, GW have proven that they do get the Death aesthetic, which gives me good faith in whatever eventual release we may get.

I mean a few troops of this aesthetic, this guy, and maybe a small model-count elite unit to round it out, and I'd be pretty happy!

As mentioned in the Rumor Thread, I strongly recommend folks to watch yesterday's Warhammer Weekly show - lots of juicy information about AoS and Death...

The Knight of Shrouds is the first of many Death additions to come in 2018. The whole Malign Portents campaign/story will be centered around Death, with Nagash making  a strong combat - Death fans rejoice!!!!

Expect to see some Deathrattle goodies in 2018. As many have been saying for a while, the fact that Deathrattle has not been given allegiance abilities in GH17 indicates that a new book might be coming.

I do hope that GW releases a few more Death models/units in 2018, but would I am really hoping for is some cool new game mechanics that will make Deathrattle even more interesting to play...  a few additional rules can make such a difference (Fyreslayers treatment in GH17 being a good example...)

I like the new model. Fits the Nighthaunt/Deathlords aesthetic nicely.

Hoping for Deathrattle stuff. A bone giant would be nice, or chariots, or archers. Or priests.

...yes I know I am basically inventing Tomb Kings there...

I have been waiting for an update for a while so I'm cautiously optimistic. I do like the idea of a variety of new heroes. If it leads to a book that also updates existing warscrolls (makes black coach better, adds keywords to Deathlords) that would be ideal. But I won't get my hopes up too much as I have been burned before. Also not coming until 2018.

I like the new model, and am glad to have it on the way,  but it leaves me going "yes, and ...?"

By that,  I mean he's nice but not appreciably more spectacular than the banshee or wraith. "Just another" small-but-nifty-looking minor hero.

The reference to him being a more importantly-titled character leaves me a touch nervous.

In other words, he doesn't ecactly herald a new dawn of death for me. 

$20 pack basic hero? Sure.

$40 new lord of awesome? Not so much. 

Fingers crossed for more to come!

While it looks like a fantastic little display piece, I wouldn't expect it to be a major factor in-game, given that the new Generals Handbook did nothing to protect such small heroes from all the laser-guided ranged attacks that currently dominate this game.  As long as free sniping at all times remains part of this game, non-monster melee/buff heroes - which is what this thing looks like is, might as well not exist.  The more expensive and impressive its abilities, the more likely it is that its five wounds will be blown away the moment line of sight can be drawn to it.

AoS needed some version of 40k's character protection.  Without that, I have a hard time seeing heroes like this as even remotely playable.

Archived