Chaos Warhounds

Xemenes

I was looking at the warscrolls for these guys and was wondering if they really had much place in any chaos armies (particylarly with brayheards). They have such low bravery, damage and health the seem really weak. I know the bravery can be increased by 1 for every 10 models but it still seems very low. Sure they are fast but is it worth running them up the board if they all get slaughtered turn 1? I really like their fluff and models so will probably pick them up but I would hate for them to just sit on the shelf. My long term goal was to get some skin wolves to run in a big fluffy 'pack' witht them but they lower all surrounding units bravery if i recall correctly which wouldnt work in a game. 

I used to play Beastmen and, let me tell you, Chaos Warhounds definitely have a place! They are great for screening units that you don't want to tie up your more elite troops or even your regular guys. Sure, they're weak, but as they are being whittled down, nothing stops you from sending in some Gors to help even the sides. I don't think anyone should think the Warhounds are anything other than turn 1 blockers. Yeah, they'll be killed, but you can have a say in how your army runs down the field.

Love them. So many of the missions we are playing (scgt, local Scottish tourney missions) benefit from having a fast blocking unit that can mess with lanes of advance or block off objectives etc. Used well they can win games. Just don't expect to still have them around after turn 1 or 2. 

Chaos Dogs are expendable. Spend their lives on a good purpose. I think they are best used to set the tempo of the game. Keep a fast unit from getting someplace useful by using them as a speed bump. Set up a charge for another unit by getting them in the way of an enemy unit. Keep an eye out for enemy abilities which involve 'closest enemy unit', there aren't a ton out there but they do come up. 

Archived