Empire - Gained allies but lost artillary?

Major

Hey all!

So I've been playing around with this allies system a bit with my SE, Empire and Nurgle forces. I lean heavily in favor of my Empire these days and I do like the idea of taking my hurricanum with my Stormcast. But... has allies taken away the ability for Empire to field artillery en mass? I mean, I have 5 Empire Great Cannons, 2 hellfire volley Gun, a mortar, a Rocket Battery and a Steam Tank but am I now only able to take 20% of my list as Iron weld arsenal? Can I still field my Empire Great Cannons as freeguild (as technically they are not the Iron weld arsenal ones) meaning they don't count towards my use of allies points? Not to mention I want to fit my Hurricanum into my list which is near impossible to do if your taking Iron weld arsenal gear.

My fear is I have just stumbled across the one thing to come with GHB2017 that kills my love of the Empire after having so much AWESOME stuff in it :(

Note: I am not hating on GHB2 at all, I love the book, love the whole thing, yes even allies! lol.

As far as I can tell you can still field them all together as a generic Order army, you will just miss out on the cool free people specific stuff! I too have a lot of artillery (2 cannons and 3 hellfire) so it would appear that I will have to take that hit in order to field massed artillery, which is fine because it also opens me up for things like hurricanums!

You can always run your army as Grand Alliance Order, a thing that isn't really a problem at all and it'll allow you to fit in as much magic and artillery as you feel like. You won't be able to use your Free Peoples allegiance, but an army with a ton of artillery isn't really a 'Free Peoples Army' anymore anyway.

So your options are:

Spend most your points on Free Peoples, some allies points on Ironweld Arsenal and use the Free Peoples allegiance

Spend points on both Free Peoples and Ironweld Arsenal (plus whatever else you want), fulfil your battleline requirements with Free Peoples troops and use the Order allegiance.

On 30/08/2017 at 7:44 AM, Major said:

My fear is I have just stumbled across the one thing to come with GHB2017 that kills my love of the Empire after having so much AWESOME stuff in it :(

Sounds like you'll be running Mixed Order. Like myself, you like to run armies which exceed the allies allocation. 

On 7/24/2017 at 7:59 AM, MrCharisma said:

12 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

Sounds like you'll be running Mixed Order. Like myself, you like to run armies which exceed the allies allocation. 

Yes I guess its Grand Alliance: Order keyword for me lol. I played around with lists these past few days but nothing pops out as near effective enough to bother with. I don't see why the hurricanum and stuff doesn't fall under Freeguild, it certainly has made it extra difficult for people playing older armies... perhaps that was the point? Either way that hurricanum makes my SCE army absolutely unstoppable lol.

A combo that seems to work really well is the Hurricanum with 2+ Rocket Batteries.

I've seen one player take it to another with a Starseer Skink to gain the rerolls. Nasty!

Unfortunately for me I had to play him in Gift from the Heavens and it landed where all of his dudes were :-(

25 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

A combo that seems to work really well is the Hurricanum with 2+ Rocket Batteries.

I've seen one player take it to another with a Starseer Skink to gain the rerolls. Nasty!

Unfortunately for me I had to play him in Gift from the Heavens and it landed where all of his dudes were :-(

Yeah its a great piece to play with. I put to rows of liberators up front of it and to lines of Judicators behind it. Judicators hitting on 2+ and Liberators hitting on a 3+ with rerolled saves of 1 is funny as heck, then you just bring cavalry round wide on the flanks and its all over by turn 3. At least that has been my experience for 3 games of it now... However I feel rats would decimate this formation quite easily so need to find someone to trial it on.

On the Empire allies subject - as far as I can see,  compendium units such as Empire and Bretonia aren't technically allies of Freeguild as they aren't listed as allies in the GHB and the keywords have changed. 

My gaming group have houseruled that these world-that-was armies are still classed as allies to their modern day counterparts (Empire/Bretonia > Freeguild - Dwarfs > Dispossessed etc) - are other people thinking the same in more casual circles? 

For me, I'll probably still take a Great Cannon for the ranged,  but is not as effective now without an engineer buff sadly! 

34 minutes ago, Duck1986 said:

On the Empire allies subject - as far as I can see,  compendium units such as Empire and Bretonia aren't technically allies of Freeguild as they aren't listed as allies in the GHB and the keywords have changed. 

My gaming group have houseruled that these world-that-was armies are still classed as allies to their modern day counterparts (Empire/Bretonia > Freeguild - Dwarfs > Dispossessed etc) - are other people thinking the same in more casual circles? 

For me, I'll probably still take a Great Cannon for the ranged,  but is not as effective now without an engineer buff sadly! 

Honestly I'm just using my Empire Great Cannons as Ironweld Arsenal Cannons. Still a cannon. Crew might be different, but I'll add Duardin if people really kick up a fuss.

But with the 400 point restriction, possibly unlikely to fit in an Engineer anyway. I figure 2 cannons are better than one with an Engineer, so that's where my allies points go.

Archived