Lets Chat: Darkling Covens

GammaMage

16 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Worst things in my life?  Your words, not mine.  I just hate the aesthetic of the models.  Sorry I triggered your tender sensibilities, but in my honest opinion, they're absolute ******.

Oh it was meant in jest don't worry my tender parts are all fine. Was just riffing on your choice of word 'hate', seems a bit much for any hobby. Sorry I triggered your rage button haha ;) 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got some darkling coven models and I'd like to make a darkling coven army around them.

I'd like to know your opinion about the points of strength and weakness that you find out in this army and what allies you think it's good to take for balance it. Thanks!

On 6/9/2018 at 8:20 PM, Alessio said:

I've got some darkling coven models and I'd like to make a darkling coven army around them.

I'd like to know your opinion about the points of strength and weakness that you find out in this army and what allies you think it's good to take for balance it. Thanks!

Well, with AoS2 around the corner it might be hard to advise fully. We know that Executioners and Black Guard are getting points drops and they're both decent units...

On 6/10/2018 at 1:05 AM, Kyriakin said:

Strengths: Executioners, and maybe the foot Sorceress. Taking SE as allies.

Weaknesses: Everything else.

... Especially the Executioners. I haven't played games with Darkling Covens, but have watched quite a few. The strength seems to come from using large blocks of the Battlelines near to one another to gain their bonuses, and also sacrificing sensibly to gain casting bonuses. The Executioners are the ones to do the damage. I have also seen Black Guard just stubbornly refuse to move, so they can serve their purpose.

In all honesty though, before the Compendium removal, I saw more successful games with the DC units as just Order allegiance, supported by the excellent Bolt Throwers (now gone, but you could always use the High Elf one... For now) as a more traditional Dark Aelven force. 

On 6/10/2018 at 1:30 AM, rokapoke said:

Strength: Sorceress on Black Dragon is a beautiful model. I want one just to paint!

Weakness: I have no idea - I’m just interested in the amazing Black Dragon. 

The Black Dragon is a brilliant model. However, the Sorceress is quite squishy considering the mount. The dragon is capable of serious damage, but lacks the output of the Dreadlord version and the durability too. 

9 minutes ago, syph0n said:

In all honesty though, before the Compendium removal, I saw more successful games with the DC units as just Order allegiance, supported by the excellent Bolt Throwers (now gone, but you could always use the High Elf one... For now) as a more traditional Dark Aelven force. 

Yeah I had been running a GA Order "Dark Elf" army with Morathi, Executioners, Corsairs, Warlocks, Dark Riders and Repeater Bolt throwers which had been doing very well for casually competitive club games. Sad to not be able to use my bolt throwers for now. They are one of my favourite war-machines from Fantasy.

When the rules for that new stormcast lightning bolt thower thing come out I will be taking some of those as allies - except they will be cunningly designed to look like Reapers and they will be crewed by suspiciously small, slim stormcasts with pointy ears... :D 

45 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Yeah I had been running a GA Order "Dark Elf" army with Morathi, Executioners, Corsairs, Warlocks, Dark Riders and Repeater Bolt throwers which had been doing very well for casually competitive club games. Sad to not be able to use my bolt throwers for now. They are one of my favourite war-machines from Fantasy.

When the rules for that new stormcast lightning bolt thower thing come out I will be taking some of those as allies - except they will be cunningly designed to look like Reapers and they will be crewed by suspiciously small, slim stormcasts with pointy ears... :D 

Have you tried just using the high elf variant rules-wise? 

4 hours ago, syph0n said:

Well, with AoS2 around the corner it might be hard to advise fully. We know that Executioners and Black Guard are getting points drops and they're both decent units...

... Especially the Executioners. I haven't played games with Darkling Covens, but have watched quite a few. The strength seems to come from using large blocks of the Battlelines near to one another to gain their bonuses, and also sacrificing sensibly to gain casting bonuses. The Executioners are the ones to do the damage. I have also seen Black Guard just stubbornly refuse to move, so they can serve their purpose.

The Black Dragon is a brilliant model. However, the Sorceress is quite squishy considering the mount. The dragon is capable of serious damage, but lacks the output of the Dreadlord version and the durability too. 

Thank you all for the answers!! 

At the moment I'm playing a tournament in my local shop using this list below but so far I lost 2 games out of 2( thank to some my big mistakes as well) but I really see how an army with Order allegiance doesn't work well(unless you mix and match all the factions of Order) but I wanted to keep a dark elves theme. The ability to re-roll battleshock doesn't really help compared with the others armies allegiance abilities and synergies.

Allegiance: Order

LEADERS

Sorceress (80)

Dreadlord On Black Dragon (320)
- General
- Command Trait : Master of Defense
- Lance of Spite & Shield
- Artefact : Phoenix Stone

UNITS
30 x Dreadspears (300)
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
10 x Sisters Of Slaughter (120)
-Barbed Whips and Sacrificial Knives
10 x Sisters Of Slaughter (120)
-Barbed Whips and Sacrificial Knives

WAR MACHINES
Repeater Bolt Thrower (120)
Repeater Bolt Thrower (120)

TOTAL: 1500 WOUNDS: 101
LEADERS: 2/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 2/4

I have to say the dreadspears works very well especially in combination with the sorceress casting mystic shield and giving them bravery bonus. I managed to block many elite enemy's units in this way for entire rounds.the reaper bolt thrower are excellent yes and I'm very sad they ended them. 

That's way I'd like to know if I can keep playing Dark Elves that I like as Darkling covens having more synergies.

You need more Battleline for Darkling Covens if that's the case. You could ally in the dragon or other aelves once you have 1600 points for 400 ally points.

From the list posted, adding Executioners would be the best. You would of course need more elsewhere, as you won't be able to use a lot of what you have because they'll be over the ally limit. And sadly, no reapers or repeaters at all.

You play more than I do, so you're better placed to advise yourself I'm sure but if it was me, and you definitely wanted Darkling Covens, you need Executioners, use the dragon as a sorceress dragon and you'll need more Battleline, maybe 30 Dark Shards or something or two lots of ten and use them to screen and gain bonuses for nearby aelves. 

Alternatively, you're not a million miles off a 1000 points of Daughters of Khaine. Add a Cauldron and some Witches or Blood Sisters and you'll probably find yourself with a more destructive force. 

Might be worth waiting a few weeks, or try proxying some models considering AoS2 is so close... 

6 hours ago, syph0n said:

Have you tried just using the high elf variant rules-wise? 

I haven't. Mostly been playing 40k since 2nd edition was announced. I would be happy to keep playing because GH2017 still feels fresh to me - not bored of the missions at all but my group can be a bit funny like that.

Its a good shout though - is it compendium for the HE one? or did that make it into the GA Order book?

2 hours ago, Alessio said:

That's way I'd like to know if I can keep playing Dark Elves that I like as Darkling covens having more synergies.

You absolutely can! and they will get better with the new magic rules (+2 to cast will be really helpfull). They might not hold up against top tier lists and gamers with the latest armies but you should be able to do fine at club/ local store level

30 witch elves and a death hag is a great ally contingent, but as a few others have said you need some black guard and executioners - both excellent units.

23 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I haven't. Mostly been playing 40k since 2nd edition was announced. I would be happy to keep playing because GH2017 still feels fresh to me - not bored of the missions at all but my group can be a bit funny like that.

Its a good shout though - is it compendium for the HE one? or did that make it into the GA Order book?

I don't know if they've made it to AoS2. They're under high elf keyword, which I guess is Compendium but no idea if that means they've been removed from 2nd Ed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

Thanks for all the great contributions made here over the last year. It's been a really good thread discussing one of the smaller factions to be fleshed out by the GH2017, but the time has now come for this to be locked as we move into the new edition. To continue the Darkling Covens discussion, please head over here....

http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/18321-aos-2-darkling-covens-discussion/

Chris

Archived