Any good ideas for White or Pale Gold paints?

Zhorphorus

Sort of self explanatory title, but I was intending on using Alclad's Pale Gold for my airbrush but have been advised that this can be quite toxic and hence have decided against it.

Does anyone know a good alternative to achieve a "paler" gold effect rather than your standard "brilliant" gold?

The Alclad paints are fine, so long as you have a well ventilated room.  An airbrush hood with the fan pushing the fumes outside is good.  I would also recommend a respirator.

Looking at my bottle, it appears to be in between Auric Gold and Liberator Gold.  You might try a 50/50 mix to see how it looks.  Maybe Relictor Gold from Citadel Air, but I don't have any on hand to check.

Personally I'd say you've a few choices to look at if you stick with acrylic (which are easier to clean out in addition to being less toxic).

Vallejo actually produce three ranges of decent gold paint - Vallejo Model Air, Vallejo Liquid Metal and Vallejo Metal Color.  Here's a YouTube video comparing VMA and VLM and one for VMC.  These videos have a number of "spoon" images where they've airbrushed the back of a plastic spoon so that you get a good idea on colour.

I've never tried liquid metal before, but would say that metal color are my "go to" for metallic when I'm airbrushing.

Archived