Community Creativity: Your ideas for new factions

Melcavuk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the idea today of sigmar workshippers tribesmen. Basically chaos marauders with all their chaotic symbols replaced by sigmar-like symbols (the comet, the hammer...) As they fight to become chosen by sigmar after death (valhalla like) while the unworthly deads go to the realm of nagash.

They fight with bows, composite bows (mongol style), throwing axes, javelins axes or maces following their jarls to the battle.

55 minutes ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

"Don't tempt me Frodo!"

Oh I have so many Ironjawz that need painting first. Although, Reaper Minatures do have a "sandworm" model that might do the trick...

Don't forget about this dude...

99590299065_Dreadmaw01.jpg

forgeworld dread maw: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NL/Dread-Maw

duneyeagher.jpg

Or this Dune action figure....

Do I need to keep on going... or do it myself? 

Dang now i've tempted myself....

5 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Don't forget about this dude...

forgeworld dread maw: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NL/Dread-Maw

Or this Dune action figure....

Do I need to keep on going... or do it myself? 

****** now i've tempted myself....

Oh man, I'd forgotten about that Dread-Maw... 

Been looking for riders, I wonder how some of the LOTR's Haradrim would fit, though some Tallarn Rough Riders off Ebay might also do the job.

19 minutes ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

Oh man, I'd forgotten about that Dread-Maw... 

Been looking for riders, I wonder how some of the LOTR's Haradrim would fit, though some Tallarn Rough Riders off Ebay might also do the job.

hmm, could work. You could also consider the Chaos Dwarf range if you stick to the Kahadron proxies. Ironsworn look suitably evil miner-like to cling onto a worm and could count as Arkanauts. Fireglaves as evil thunderers. K'daai fireborn as erindriggers. (Paint the firevortex as a sandstorm and they will look right in place with the rest)

Won't be cheap but very very cool.

If I were GW, the biggest change I would make would be to mostly shift away from producing faction books and toward producing setting books which introduce new units for multiple factions. I think this works on a number of levels:

• More people buy the content because it's relevant to more factions
  • Players get a steady stream of new content instead of the feast/famine pattern that we've had for decades
  • Works especially well with the ally system. Could even introduce subfactions that ally with multiple Grand Alliances

If we keep this in mind, what I'd absolutely love to see is a book based around Ghur, featuring the following:

• Feral Aelves - similar to Wanderers but more savage, wild aesthetic. I always wanted them to take Wood Elves in a more animal direction, and now that Sylvaneth are split off they can do that. Could potentially crossover between Destruction and Order.
  • Beastmen - not fleshed out in my head yet. Could potentially crossover between Destruction and Chaos
  • Monstrous Arcanum additions focusing on some of the wildest beasts of Ghur
  • Monstrous Arcanum kits can be built as either living or reanimated versions, with the reanimated versions tying in with Death. Possibly a new Death character -- a necromancer who has come to Ghur to build an army of reanimated beast titans for Nagash.

The concept of realm related books is a good one, not only for new races but new traits reflecting how existing faction are deployed within the realm, realm specific battle plans that could be radically different based on the realms. You could also look at Realm specific mercenaries than any faction would be able to use as allies within the realm such as elemental, beasts and lore masters of the realms etc

• 1 year later...

Certainly! (Weekends do tend to slow things down. Hobby time and all thst ;) ) Feel free to pitch an idea.

For myself, I think a vulture people in Shyish would be top-notch.

Got the idea when I sketched up my idea for Glymmsforge cavalry which are carrion birds that evolved to hunt down their rather mobile dead meals.

dcgfchg-db385607-6b10-4051-aa8b-a3e4fd1e

I could imagine them being Order aligned as Azyr is a realm known for it's birds so they may see Sigmar as a bird god (helps that heaven magic includes bird talk) though of course others may see Nagash as a great provider and Tzeentch as a kindred avian God whose search for knowledge may entice them as a nomadic species.

In race relationships I'd say all around admirable as they keep to themselves and only feast on dead things. Cities see them as good clean-up for discarded meat like fish and useful allies against undead.

Id love to see a Cult of the Dead army, using the Corpse Cart, Necromancer, and Zombies as a starting point. Give us a few more 'living' types of worshipers, from hooded cultists as battleline (maybe when they lose models, a nearby zombie unit has a chance to gain them) to hero units that are basically lich or named Necromancers. Toss in some more zombie variations too, like zombified Ironjawz, Beastclaw, etc, that could fill out specific battlefield roles.

Been away converting 40k stuff for a bit but am keeping an eye here too (excuse the quietness) Vulture people sound suitably grim and sombre. Where would they sit on the Alliance chart? 

Death: Self Explanatory

Order: All things must die, but in death there too is order, whilst they may seem like petty scavengers their grim task is to guide souls to their rightful resting place and spare them the ordeals of nagash

Destruction: Existing as elements of nature as much as creatures they pick the bones of the world clean, thriving in this time of war and abundant feast from the fields of battle.

Death cult could add some nice new aspects to the armies of Nagash, hooded robe style cultists bringing zeal and fervour (and hopefully a few ranged weapons). I had a concept for a corpse catapult when AoS was new that let you launch zombies into the enemy with a chance to raise a handful of zombies from your kill. Fluff behind it was a death siege engine that when they could not break a cities wall they would throw the zombie plague over it until nothing was left alive.

Haha, I feel you could just do that one yourself with DoK and converting them into Alarielle worshippers instead as they celebrate the mating season of the colliding male and female continents in Ghyran.

10 hours ago, MattLaz said:

my idea is the Myrmidon, a Greek/Roman race of ant men, ant-taurs, and wasp men(with maybe  beetles for war-beast) you said only a paragraph but i have more than a paragraph of an idea  

Oh I really like this one. Was a fan of that Zeus-made race too when I read it.

I imagine they're Destruction and retain that Roman-esque look because of a connection to Sigmar they long severed, maybe at the time Gorkamorka left the Pantheon?

My only a paragraph limitation was strictly advisory. By all means type as much as your creativity can flow, the main reason behind it was that walls of text can at times cause people to skip the whole post.

Another option would be to put a paragraph and a test scroll or two here and then link to a thread in the narrative section with a fully flesh lore post.

Some great ideas though guys, it’s fantastic to see the depth people can pull from the fledgling AoS lore to create new and awesome concepts 

it starts with Karnak, a simple man who's home was attack by the night haunt, and all thous specters where people he had known who were suffering for false crimes agents Nagash. Enrage by how he twisted death to his own  purpose he swore to destroy him. The storm cast went there and he would come to see them as outnumbered and stretch to thin.  So ensued of trying to join them he stared travailing the realms in search for knowledge or power, something that was overlooked. After looking for some time he came open an anthill, he them recall a time in his youth when he saw ants on a lion carcass. This gave him a revelation that with such numbers ant ant could fell a lion, so he would create a new race one with the forms of men, the strength of dragons and the numbers of ants. So he started experimenting using ant queens, human and dragons blood, and mostly the winds of beast and life and those he was successful with the birth of the first Myrmidon queen,  he was corrupted by the magics of he was using and the nature of the ant queen, The need to feed and expand their brood. So he became a creature like his queen and they consummated the first brood. but the pure born children were flawed they were perfect killers and builders but they had no thought beyond what their queen or father gave them, but Karnak had a solution, useing crystals he found on his travels he found a processes were his queen could eat a person and their soul would then be bound to the hive and become the true born Myrmidon's and each time they died they would return to the queen and be born in a new body. In time Karnak would spread a queen to each realm, but ultimately he would fall to his instinct's and delusions of "saving" the people of the realms from Nagash. He is now Karnak The All Father and his Myrmidons as much a all consuming  scourge as a grand civilization. 

(this is roughly most of what i thought of but its probably to much but i could add more)               

On August 28, 2017 at 6:00 PM, The Door Master said:

I posted this on another thread but I think it would be good to bring up the idea here, my idea for a Destruction faction. Termites! For those of you who have ever dealt with Termites, you know that they love to destroy any wooden structure to make their towering mounds.

So my concept is this; massive Termite warriors ravaging the to the realms and cites of Sigmar to be broken down to build city size mounds to dominate the realms. War is the norm for termites, so feel they would very easily fit in the setting. There is also the idea that they could be more effective in combat against Sylvaneth (they are made of wood after all) and battlefield terrain.

I would go even bigger with the insect race idea. I've scoured the net for decent Insect Men, and there are precious few. I see termite, ant, and cockroach ideas here. It time for a race that combines all this. Only MUCH more massive. 

I love my Kharadron Boys but hate Fyre and think Disposessed are kinda boring. So I propose Stonekin Delvers. They had to turn to pure magic to put their life into the souls of their armor and animated objects. This is how they survived the age of chaos unlike the majority of dwarves who died off or fled with Sigmar. Their life is an accursed one since they barely remember who they were and hence why traditions and history is so important to them. Visually I see them being a huge update to the Disposessed while bringing in a huge golem and war walker look. Half D&D Warforged meets Shale from Dragon Age. Naturally very very tanky and survivable but super slow and very low in number army. Have trouble using gunpowder due to a lack of finesse in battle so unless its a bigger emplacement or war construct most of them prefer to use melee weapons and get up close. While their actual combat is low their land movement is fast due to the longer legs. 

This faction will also mix in plenty of magic to make up for their lack of ranged prowess and dexterity. A big design elements is like lyrium veins on their constructs like in DA I. I imagine the impetus for this potent substance makes them delve deeper and deeper to find it and refine it to forge more of their kin. At this point I'm imagining they have to raid the surface for more souls in rare raids and reforge them as their own to increase their numbers. Definitely an order faction with a darker side. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 5:10 AM, Melcavuk said:

Another option would be to put a paragraph and a test scroll or two here and then link to a thread in the narrative section with a fully flesh lore post.

how do i do that and were would it go?

Archived