The Painting Contract - September 2017

Mohojoe

Work is getting the way this month, built some blood warriors and started 2, built 2 spawn to be counts as khorgorath, painted 1 terminator and got two more on the go with armour done and onto highlights and detail work. Have got my 2k khorne list planned so at least I know my next purchases 

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im going to finish harmonizing/retouching and finish painting my high elf army. My goal is to not be emberassed by my minatures when im scheduled to play my first game at the local GW at the end of the month.

here is what i have set myself up to deal with. 

I have allt of trying and failing to do but ill fet there.

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

On 28/08/2017 at 3:57 PM, Charles said:

I really enjoyed working towards my pledge last month, so I will keep it achievable again this month.

I will paint my Mighty Lord of Khorne, and 3x Blood Crushers.

Stretch: Paint the Magewrath Throne, build Citadel Wood, & paint 10xBlood Reavers

I know it's not quite the end of the month yet, but I won't have any more time for painting before the deadline. The good news is I have met all my commitments and the stretch goals!

I hope everyone else has got on well, and I looked forward to seeing the final progress pictures. 

Pictures below. I've actually done a little more on the MLoK and Blood Crushers since those pictures were taken, but it's only extra basing steps.

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4035.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

So I finished my third unit of grots today, the remaining 8 grot infantry. Now halfway toward 1000 points painted! (well just under...)

20 moonclan frots, 3 moonclan fanatics, 10 grot spider riders now on the roster. Maybe 1000 points by Christmas?

Annoyingly one of the fanatics won't stand up on its own due to imbalance, but I'm not even mad as its seems in-character. 

Also experimented with a bunch of bases but not used them yet. Will do all bases BEFORE painting the units from here onward. The bases will have a tundra theme, non-snow tundra like on top of the Rockies in summer. 

4YXg5Xc.jpghNyFmFx.jpg

45 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

So I finished my third unit of grots today, the remaining 8 grot infantry. Now halfway toward 1000 points painted! (well just under...)

20 moonclan frots, 3 moonclan fanatics, 10 grot spider riders now on the roster. Maybe 1000 points by Christmas?

Annoyingly one of the fanatics won't stand up on its own due to imbalance, but I'm not even mad as its seems in-character. 

Also experimented with a bunch of bases but not used them yet. Will do all bases BEFORE painting the units from here onward. The bases will have a tundra theme, non-snow tundra like on top of the Rockies in summer. 

4YXg5Xc.jpghNyFmFx.jpg

Looks awesome man! If you stick a coin on the bottom of the bases, it'll stop the Fanatics from falling over :) It just gives them enough weight to stand on their own.

1 minute ago, Mount Franklin said:

Looks awesome man! If you stick a coin on the bottom of the bases, it'll stop the Fanatics from falling over :) It just gives them enough weight to stand on their own.

Ah good idea! Does it fit under the base without raising it? 

I knew painting would take a long time but its quite daunting just how long it takes to actually start playing the game :(

7 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Ah good idea! Does it fit under the base without raising it? 

I knew painting would take a long time but its quite daunting just how long it takes to actually start playing the game :(

Depends if you've used slot bases. I've put a 10c coin under mine with some hot glue... just on the off chance I ever want the 10c back ;) If the base does have a slot tab, you'll have to very carefully remove it.

Haha, you don't look too far off! I started just before the End Times and never played a game of 8th :D These days, I don't worry too much about playing unpainted models. It doesn't look as good, but at least I get to play and take my time with the painting.

So I spent an unprecedented second consecutive day hobbying, which never happens due to to work travelling almost constantly. Feelsgoodman.jpg. 

Basically I learned a hard lesson today. BASE BEFORE PAINTING. Rage ensued, things were thrown, lessons were learned. Long story short I tried basing after the models were already painted and stuck to the black base. Terrible terrible idea. Got paint/glue muck on some models that I spent HOURS painting previously. :(

BUT! I did do some bases for the next batch to calm my nerd-rage, and the results were better than expected, done myself some nice rocky/shrubby autumnal tundra that I'm pleased with. 

/monologue

On 8/28/2017 at 10:00 AM, Naflem said:

I'm going to finish up painting my assembled BCR (two Mournfang fully and some final highlights/work on some other models) and I'm going to assemble a set of BCR beast-riders, and paint 10 Plague Monks (stretch goal, 50 plague monks lol)

Got everything done just in the nick of time (other than the stretch goal).  Life turned a bit busy so I think I'll have to be a bit more modest in my painting goals for a little while!   Painted my two mournfang from scratch, and did the finishing touches on my hunter and a beastclaw raider themed firebelly ally.  Assembled the thundetusk (hopefully will have painting time for him next month!). Then ten more plague monks to expand a 30 man unit up to 40.

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_9181.JPG

IMG_9182.JPG

IMG_9284.JPG

IMG_9286.JPG

IMG_9289.JPG

1 hour ago, Naflem said:

Got everything done just in the nick of time (other than the stretch goal).  Life turned a bit busy so I think I'll have to be a bit more modest in my painting goals for a little while!   Painted my two mournfang from scratch, and did the finishing touches on my hunter and a beastclaw raider themed firebelly ally.  Assembled the thundetusk (hopefully will have painting time for him next month!). Then ten more plague monks to expand a 30 man unit up to 40.

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_9181.JPG

IMG_9182.JPG

IMG_9284.JPG

IMG_9286.JPG

IMG_9289.JPG

Very cool basing! 

On 8/30/2017 at 9:30 AM, Kramer said:

My goal is to finish my 1000k Slaanesh army this month. With the points changes I will have to tweak the list a bit but most likely I will add:

- 10 daemonettes
- final details on the 5 daemonettes form last month. 
- Finish up a chaos chariot (Maybe a second)

Also on the table:
- Bretonnian trebuchet (as stand in grudge-thrower
- mounted sorceress (without mount so I can switch the rider on my black dragon)

And somewhere in between I might paint something to get me excited because the first 10 daemonettes burned me out a bit. :)
Which is a shame because I love the models but somehow they became a pain to finish off. Oh well, only 20 more to go for a massive regiment :S

I'll add pictures later, as I tend to forget writing my progress up but still use these threads to look back progress throughout the year.

- 10 daemonettes Still missing three but almost done! 
- final details on the 5 daemonettes form last month. All done
- Finish up a chaos chariot (Maybe a second) All done, base is still in the post though
Bretonnian trebuchet (as stand in grudge-thrower) All done
- Mounted sorceress (without mount so I can switch the rider on my black dragon) Final details

And my lill' something something turned out to be very small indeed. A single look-out Gnoblar as I appear to have lost one :D Calling him done as well. 

10 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Warhammer Total War 2 was released today, so all painting progress is cancelled until further notice.

...except I am working currently on a diorama for the store birthday this Saturday. And also working on a commission of poxwalkers. Otherwise this.

3 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

...except I am working currently on a diorama for the store birthday this Saturday. And also working on a commission of poxwalkers. Otherwise this.

I played for about 4 hours and then got the models out. Turns out it's the same as the last one but with worse graphics! Managed to get 20 grots assembled and sprayed black, and assembled the grot bigboss on Giant Spider. Its a terrible terrible model to assemble. Doesn't even have instructions and is some weird floppy plastic that no glue known to man can stick together.

Archived