New Player, 1000 point Slaves of Darkness Nurgle List

Stew

Happy greetings fellow Agents of Chaos!

I am a new player, drawing up a list leaning on the models I collected in my younger years from a 8th Edition WoC list, with the sole aim of beating a filthy, slimy, scaled army of lizard men played by my close friend!

I've lost several in a row, which I put down to my lack of damage dealing and monster slaying, with large squads of chaos warriors bravely running to their deaths against his use of horrifying behemoths, such as his Stegadon, Scar-veteran on a carnosaur, or slann star master.

My new list follows, which I hope will be able to wipe the scaly smile from his filthy, ordery face.

An important note is that my boys are fiercely devoted to Nurgle, so I'm not using any other marks for the foreseeable future.

1)Daemon Prince with Mark of Nurgle and Daemonic axe, Flight.

This beast is in the list to fly in, and kill his behemoth de jour, or at least damage it enough that it can't survive combat with my core units.

2) Chaos sorcerer, Mark of Nurgle, (Maybe mounted? You tell me)

This boy is in there to buff up my other units, for as long as he manages to not be dead.

3) Rotbringers Sorcerer, General

This chubby rotty fellow is a red herring, to draw shots as the general and heal himself as he gets a few spells off

4) 20 chaos warriors mark of nurgle chaos runeshields

These boys are here to confront whatever remains after the Daemon hopefully kills the big monster threat that comprises most of the enemy point value, and rage through the remaining saurus' and temple guards

5) 40 Chaos Marauders Nurgle, Hand weapons, shields, bravery flag,

Much the same as the warriors, with a lower point footprint.

Total: 1000 points

Main question: Am I a glue sniffing, raving maniac, or does this stand a chance? Happy to join the community, and looking forward to some feedback.

post note: an important part of fighting the lizard men seems to be dealing with their near immunity to rend -1, which is why I have a mostly defensive army with one filthy rend -2 Daemon Prince.

Going back to the earliest days of playing aos my friends lizardmen were one of the toughest fights for my chaos force, due to their good saves.

For easier fixes you need to look at ways of getting mortal wounds, from magic or chosen. 

Otherwise a lot will come down to the experience of both players as clever movement can be very useful in aos. 

The sorcerer on manticore might be a good option over the one on foot as his spell changes from the rerolling all the 1's to a more killey mortal wounds on a 5 and d3 on a 6(and if it's successfully cast you are rolling 7+ d6)

Lord of chaos also has -2 rend on his main weapon which if you are feeling lucky in an all your eggs in one basket kind of mood can do 2d6 damage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Percy Verance said:

(and if it's successfully cast you are rolling 7+ d6)

Would you mind explaining this mate? Is it something to do with new Nurgle StD traits?

I've had my eye on the new cheaper Manticore Sorcerer and ways to make his spell more devastating.

Yeah sorry it's not that clear. The sorcerer on manticore has a different spell to the one on foot. It's cast on a 7. Then the rules state that you roll a number of dice equal to your successful casting roll. So if you roll 2 5's to cast the spell you roll 10 d6 to determine its damage. 5= 1mw 6=d3 mw.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Running pure Nurgle, in matched play, will present you with two huge hurdles:
1. Nurgle mobility is not good (even plague drones have a movement of 8).
2. Nurgle range is not good.

To make anything with punch, you can look outside of the usual Daemons, mortal units (such as the Rottbringers keyword) to build a list that is capable of bring the keyword(s) “Mortal Nurgle” (at least for the 1000 point list). Lastly, this list may look filthy, but they aren’t really. It is just a good use of units to combat the difficulties of bad movement or range.

List Keyword: “Mortal Nurgle”
[140] Harbinger of Decay (General)
[200] Chaos War Shrine (Mortal Nurgle aligned/themed)
[120] Festus
[120] 20 Chaos Marauders
[60] 10 Chaos Marauders  
[180] 5 Putrid Blight Kings
[180] 5 Putrid Blight Kings
Artefact: Chaos Rune Blade or Chaos Talisman
Chaos Ability: Great Destroyer,

multiple heroes gives it a chance to trigger across the force, as opposed to within 3 inches of Lord of War. This list is built around the general. The focus will be on the Harbinger. He’s mounted at 7 wounds and a 4+ save with a great round of melee attacks along with a missile attack from those flies. He also has a 4+ ward save against spells damage plus a good attack against heroes. His command ability is the important one though. A 5+ ward save for all mortal units within 7 inches. Of course, he himself is in this bubble so he already has 2 saves himself now (4+ save against spell damage and a 5+ against any wounds) The War Shrine is a behemoth, is not a hero but can be marked to a God. So, we make it Mortal Nurgle. AT 12 wounds with a 4+ save with bla bla attacks its fairly good. Within 9 inches of this unit, its granting your units another ward save. Anyone in this bubble gets a 6+ save against wounds and mortal wounds. This stacks with the general’s bubble so for any units within both, they will have the benefit of both of theses abilities. So, when a unit in these bubbles take a wound or mortal wound, role its standard save, then in 5+ save, then its 6+ save. This works to negate a lot of incoming damage. Offensively, this unit, in each hero phase has the ability to also allow a unit of your choosing to re-roll ALL failed wound rolls for that unit. As this unit is most likely going to be in 2 bubbles itself, its will have its standard save and the two ward saves plus it itself can dish out 6 attacks which is quite good in a 1000 point game. Festus has 6 wounds which is ok for a named hero. He has the usual run of caster attacks etc with no rend. He heals one wound on himself each hero phase. But none of that is why you bring him. He brings magic to this force. He benefits from the ward save bubbles plus heals one himself personally, he has counter spells etc but he can also reduce the armour save of a targeted unit within 14 inches for the rest of the game. This spell can really help crack tough units like Stormcast paladins or heroes and makes up for any lack of rend this force has. But again that’s not while we field him. You keep him in the command bubbles, running around with the general. So, that in his hero phase, he can heal your general or War Shrine for D3 wounds. This essentially means your General, on top of all those saves, (or anyone you prefer) just scored a free D3 heal each of his hero phases. Don’t need to heal? That’s fine, he can also reverse it on an enemy and put out 2 x D3 mortal wounds each hero phase instead until his heals are needed. This helps again if you have tuff units to crack. Most people say Chaos Marauders are terrible. But, in the right list, they can be really useful/helpful? These cost as much as zombies, you give them all shields, because there is no cost to give them shields and they don't lose any attacks, so they are automatically at a 5+ save. On top of that, they have a chance of (on a 4+) getting +1 to hit or (on a 6+) +1 to hit AND +1 to wound. In a block of 20 or more these chances go from 4+, 6+ to 3+, 5+ to achieve it. The Chaos ability also brings a chance of adding +1 to hit. You run them with the Dammed Icon so they re-roll all hit rolls of 1 AND, if they are in the bubble, re-roll all failed wound rolls, plus they can get the 2 ward saves if they are in the bubbles. Blight Kings are great as is. 2 units of them are already almost half the points. Base 4+ up save is good and they can run around with all those ward saves as well. Base 3 attacks each on 3+, 3+ with every 6+ to hit exploding into D6 hits. Lots of people run these in blocks of 10 but I don’t understand why. Use sets of 5 because they have a great ability that is better the more units of these guys you have. You roll a dice for the unit and every other unit within 3 inches and on a 6+ that unit suffers D3 mortals or if its Nurgle, D3 heals. In the wording of the rule, these abilities stack so the more units of these guys you have the more heals or mortals output you’re doing. If you use the Chaos Talisman on your General, he gets ANOTHER 6+ ward save as well. The Rune Blade would increase his base attacks from 3 to 4. I would most likely go Rune Blade and make The Harbinger of Decay a bit tougher. You get Unpredictable Destruction as a Battle Trait so anytime you activate a Chaos unit in the combat phase within 8 inches of general or other heroes, on a 6+ you add one to that units hit rolls. Great Destroyer only impacts around your general means that basically every time you activate a unit within its bubble you have a 1/3 chance of getting +1 to hit. These bubbles are easier to work with as you usually play on a smaller table with 1000 point armies.

NOTE: ALL OF THIS IS ON GHB1 AND NOT GHB2. YOU WOULD NEED TO CHECK IT ALL OUT AGAIN WITH GHB2 AS I KNOW THE WARSHRINE IS NOW 20 POINTS CHEAPER HAHAHA SO THIS MAY HAVE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.

Note #2: I may be way off and completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is at least close to accurate hahaha.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 1:22 PM, Roark said:

Would you mind explaining this mate? Is it something to do with new Nurgle StD traits?

I've had my eye on the new cheaper Manticore Sorcerer and ways to make his spell more devastating.

Its a spell (chaos winds i believe) taken by the Sorcerer load on a manticore, casting value of 7, once cast you have the amount of dice  you rolled for casting, so 7+. roll these dice and on 5 it does 1 MW and on a 6 it does D3 MW. 
You can also take a familer to give a +1 to casting. 

Archived