Seraphon - Getting into the hobby

Honda

Hey guys, I'm traveling to a city that was a GW store, so I think its the right time to start in the hobby. I can see that everything is messed up because of the GHB, but I'm in love with this little lizards. Which are the unitis you recoment me buying and how can I put them together with the Start Collecting! units? Thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...

The start collecting is a good choice but you'll also want 2-3 battle line units which are either saurus or skinks but decent sized units are a must because they do tend to die quicker than you think even with their excellent shields. it will largely depend on your play style and if you want to be aggressive with lots of carnosaurs, cavalry and riders or the more classic massed troops buffed with magic. An eternity warden and saurus guard make for an excellent unit, hits really hard and takes hits very well, but a little slow so you might struggle on grabbing objectives. Either way the models all look excellent and are great fun to play with or against. 

I cannot recommend the Bastiladon strongly enough! He's one of the most resilient models out there (3+ save, ignoring all rend -- plus a 4+ to ignore mortal wounds) and either weapon option can have an amazing effect. I built mine with the Solar Engine (LASER TURTLE!!!) but I've also seen some devastating usage of the Ark of Sotek (why did it have to be snakes?!).

I recommend two boxes of Start Collecting, and then adding either a box of Saurus Warriors, or a box of Skinks. Or both. I lean towards Saurus, so I can run a fat block of 40 models.

I would make three 5-model units of Knights (with help from the Saurus Warriors bits), using the leftover Knight to make a Scar-Veteran on Cold One (congratulations: you  have a Firelance Starhost). I'd make one big 40-model unit of Saurus Warriors (probably with clubs, since I like the Saurus Oldblood on Foot, who can get them engaged). Then I would magnetize a Scar Veteran and Oldblood to ride the Carnosaur. with a Troglodon made from the other kit. The Trogolodon is there to have a cheap behemoth, and allows for some more flexible list building with just what's collected.  The Skink Oracle from the Carnosaur kit that wasn't made into a Carnosaur becomes a Skink (Star)priest. Using remaining bits, including the leftover Saurus Warriors, I'd try to make a Saurus Oldblood on Foot, a Saurus Astrolith Bearer, and a Saurus Sunblood, in that order of priority.

The Start collecting is a fantastic starting point. If you want ranged support I'd pick up a bastilidon, and skinks and maybe some teradon riders to tear things apart and range before the stuff you have in the start collecting box charges into melee

Archived