Any experience playing in another language?

AGPO

I've recently moved abroad and although my grasp of French is fine for work and eating my own bodyweight in cheese, it turns out gaming uses a huge amount of specific vocab you don't encounter in many other places. 

I've been into my local GW (great bunch who were very patient with my language skills) and picked up the new GHB to get the vocab up to scratch, but I can tell it will be an uphill struggle to get to the point where I'm running narrative campaigns again. 

Has anyone else got stories of foreign campaigns or experience to share? Also if any French players have advice on gaming culture, events I should Keegan eye on etc. I'd be very appreciative.

Merci!

I am french and used to play for some years with an US friend who didn't speak french at all.

You are right, some expressions cannot be translated in both languages.

You just have to be patient, and you'll realize the vocabulary to learn is not that important.

I believe the best way for you to get used to it is to find an english speaking partner who will help you :)

On 27/8/2017 at 1:15 AM, AGPO said:

I've recently moved abroad and although my grasp of French is fine for work and eating my own bodyweight in cheese, it turns out gaming uses a huge amount of specific vocab you don't encounter in many other places. 

I've been into my local GW (great bunch who were very patient with my language skills) and picked up the new GHB to get the vocab up to scratch, but I can tell it will be an uphill struggle to get to the point where I'm running narrative campaigns again. 

Has anyone else got stories of foreign campaigns or experience to share? Also if any French players have advice on gaming culture, events I should Keegan eye on etc. I'd be very appreciative.

Merci!

Pre-internet each country had their own distinctive expressions for common units, game actions, etc., GW got a lot of flak when trying to standarise a lot of proprietary words between countries, since that meant giving up on a couple decades' worth of accumulated heritage.

A lot of people said they wouldn't purchase any GW book because of how weird it looks to have the texts only half-translated.

In the end it's just a few localisms, though, and the internet age has made most players familiar with the English language originals so go check on a few games, then find a fluent English speaker to guide you through the first local and you'll be fine.

The French biggest community hub is the warhammer forum (or WarFo, for short) at http://www.warhammer-forum.com/ that's a good place to start getting familiar to the lingo. Watch a couple youtube batreps, too.

Archived