Let´s Talk Skyre

Xanax Lot

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the no shooting in combat rule will change skryre dramatically, because most of our units die once in combat anyway (except stormfiends). We already use plenty of screening anyway as part of the army functioning. I agree that I may kit my stormfiends melee instead, yes.

Regarding the "look out, sir" rule, in my army I've got 2 warplightning cannons (not affected), 8 poisoned wind mortars (mainly shooting hordes, so less affected) and gascloud formation (D6 not affected)

So I would say I'll do pretty fine with what has been revealed on shooting so far...

I think that, generally, skryre will remain good for hero sniping due to warp lightning cannons, gascloud, arkhspark and so on. Only the jezzails maybsuffer from this rule...

My only concern so far is with the command abilities system, as we don't have many to pick from. The two new ones might be interesting. I also hope we'll be able to use allies command abilities, but I doubt that

What do you think?

18 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Re: Command abilities, am I being an idiot or do our characters not actually have any?

Skryre has none :) so the new command abilities increase our command effectiveness by 300% :D

Just now, Mayple said:

Skryre has none :) so the new command abilities increase our command effectiveness by 300% :D

Hahahhaha, true! Howevee the reroll charges on stormfiends units is good. 

Skaven in general need a faction update soon! 

Tournament went well today, first time trying the classic gautfyre list w/ balewind.

First game was against DoK: Came in the back, grabbed the back obj with a warpfire thrower and held it till end of game while I proceeded to 1 shot his cauldron, Medusa, and put a good hurting on his 3 units of witch aelves, most of which got battleshocked down. Eventually his Khinerai/10 witch aelves came in and killed the Arch Warlock, cannon and engineer to get the obj in my territory. Game was close, ending the 5th round with only his morathi left and 5 aelves on my obj. I had 1 stormfiend at 2 wounds tying up morathi 1 stormfiend on the mid obj. Had he succeeded casting black horror that would've been it for me. Very close game with a win for me.

IMG_20180526_130214.jpg.61a4b5e3ebffc2442dd83f2dbff55fc0.jpgIMG_20180526_130219.jpg.2fe216061edc48cb802914905de660b1.jpgIMG_20180526_141232.jpg.06a7d51560fe6e7b42e752c4eb95b04d.jpg

Second game against FeC: Poor deployment rules (coming in as contingents across 3 rounds) really hurt him while my small one drop list pretty much sealed the deal. Game was wound kill points. Basically, I torched his unit of 40 ghouls, horrors and courtiers to get 87 kill points by round 3, so we conceded since it was impossible for him to kill more wounds worth. I definitely think he would've faired better without that rule, but we had fun, great guy. 

IMG_20180526_162425.jpg.96c75f28c55d8f7dc5833b7b780d1dd4.jpgIMG_20180526_165050.jpg.59f9fd9a752d82e40246806864e6f981.jpg

Final game was against seraphon: This is where all my good rolling stopped completely and I rolled a ton of 1-2 MW's on everything but the stormfiends. Obj was in the middle and can be picked up, end of 5th wins... You can see where this is going. I came in first turn in what little space I had, torched his heroes and big units. I also found out ripperdactyls are ridiculously strong thanks to rerolling failed hits and wounds and having low to hit/wound to begin with and getting extra attacks on a hit. Unfortunately, I let a unit of 40 skinks (20 after I chewed threw them with warpfire blasts) grab the objective who then teleported to the corner of the map every turn despite being the only thing left by turn 4, there was nothing I could do to catch them so I conceded with a loss. All in all fun, but man I wish there was a way to shut down that teleporting.

IMG_20180526_192312.jpg.148a0fc304f9f3c11258cd126643a3a8.jpgIMG_20180526_192318.jpg.2835f9e371d1e1b8d2c95b9f87469726.jpg

Overall, this is the only time I've done well with Skaven, and while the MW output puts people a bit off, 2/3 games were close victories/losses.. So I may do it again, depending. There's no way my standard list with mortars, jezzails, etc would have faired nearly as well against any of these lists I think. Let me know your feedback, thanks everyone. 

2 hours ago, Umjammerlama said:

Nice one for the Skryre. What was in your list?

Thanks! It was standard gautfyre, so:

Arch Warlock, esoteric resonator and scavenger w/balewind for him

2 x Engineers, 1 with vigor dust that never got used

3 x Stormfiends, all with warpfire

Warpfire thrower

Warp grinder

Warp lightning cannon (which was very good on the seraphon game since I could push it that extra 3" to be in range of his bastiladon)

Its funny, every opponent seemed to be more afraid of the cannon than the stormfiends for some very odd reason. 

• 4 weeks later...

Do any of you play 1k games? At the moment that is the format of choice of our gaming group and I was wondering whether I should expand to a 2nd set of Stormfiends. While that's probably stronger it does make the list less varied. 

Current list

• Arch Warlock
  • 3 Stormfiends
  • 5 Acolytes
  • 2 Poison Wind Mortars
  • 1 Warp Lightning Cannon 
  • Allies: 40 Clanrats or 1 Packmaster+2 Rat Ogres

My 1k list is:

Arch Warlock

Packmaster

2x3 Stormfiends (one unit with shock gauntlets, the others either with warpfire, or 1 grinder+ratling guns) 

3 Mortars

I tend to do well with this in pure killy games, obj games are varied... But I don't see many playing obj games like scorched earth at 1k anyway. Things like hold the pass are better. 

While the wlc can be great, especially at 1k, I find that my warlock can generally take care of heroes with Arcane bolt+warpstorm anyway and I would rather have another meaty unit of stormfiends than a cannon.

29 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

My 1k list is:

Arch Warlock

Packmaster

2x3 Stormfiends (one unit with shock gauntlets, the others either with warpfire, or 1 grinder+ratling guns) 

3 Mortars

I tend to do well with this in pure killy games, obj games are varied... But I don't see many playing obj games like scorched earth at 1k anyway. Things like hold the pass are better. 

While the wlc can be great, especially at 1k, I find that my warlock can generally take care of heroes with Arcane bolt+warpstorm anyway and I would rather have another meaty unit of stormfiends than a cannon.

I agree about the cannon, although due to some amazing results with it in the first few games my opponents in the gaming group always divert a lot of resources into killing it, which is also quite useful.

I personally would like another unit of Stormfiends, so I can split them in 'melee' and ranged groups. The mono-pose nature of the miniatures just kinda ruins that for me.

On the list building front, with the impending drop of Stormfiends to 290, I can now make my perfect 750 points list for small/doubles games

• Arch Warlock (General)
  • 3 Stormfiends
  • 5 Acolytes
  • 1 Poison Wind Mortar
  • 40 Clanrats (Allies)

Oh the same has happened to me. One game I had them more afraid of my cannon than my 9 warpfire fiends behind them, which was an odd choice on their part.

I do prefer having a bit of range and melee unless I'm doing gautfyre, then I generally go pure warpfire (I proxy), luckily monopose doesn't bother me too much. I see a lot of people just clip off the warpfire thrower ends and use those on the other two models so you can have all three poses as warpfire.

I do like that points drop, though I have a bad feeling we will see warpfire nerfed, which just means I'll have to go heavier into shock gauntlet usage. 

Unless they change the Warscroll, why would Warpfire be nerfed? Aside from offering reliable MW it's not all that powerful. The one change I'd like to see to Stormfiends is that their Warscroll weapon options would actually match the box.

A unit of Stormfiends has 3 or more miniatures. Per 3 Stormfiends you can include 1 of the options below. (Exact wording I would leave up to GW, but guys see my point)

• 1 set of Warpfire Project or Poison Wind  Launchers
  • 1 set of Shock Gauntlets or Doomflayer Gauntlets
  • 1 set of Ratling Cannons or Grinderfists

This would also allow them to lower the point cost to 200-250 I think. 

Archived