Let´s Talk Skyre

Xanax Lot

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

How good do you think the poisoned wind mortars are compared to the acolytes ?

I'm converting acolytes (10 so far) but may get my hands on 8 mortars

Also is a Skryre list without stormfiends worth? Like with 3 cannons, 8 mortars and acolytes?

Cheers

4 hours ago, Josh said:

if you have access to the models, give it a go and report your findings, i feel like the army doesnt really need them

Here was my idea:

-Arch-warlock general - masterful scavenger

- Plague priest ally

- 5x acolytes

- 5x acolytes

- 1x 20 clanrats (allies)

- 3x poisoned wind mortars

- 2x warp lightning cannons

Total: 1000

+3x poisoned wind mortars (total 6)

+1x 3 stormfiends

Total: 1480

+2x poisoned wind mortars (total 8)

+2x warlock engineers

+ clan skryre, akrhspark, gascloud

Total: 2000

General idea was to

- Scatter the mortars through the map (8-10" from another) so that they can only be charged one at a time (the others retaliating).

- Use the tokens to boost whichever mortar gets dangerous.

- Use mortars to cap objectives when possible

I'll let you know once I gathered the pieces...

4 hours ago, S133arcanite said:

How about this:

Stormfiends with packmaster as an ally

Adds one to hit rolls, with grinderfists.

Use warpstone chunks to double damage to 6

1 dead hero

That would work pretty well. I use a packmaster all the time to also buff the Stormfiends bravery and shock gauntlets become terrifying.

16 hours ago, Num said:

Hi

Also is a Skryre list without stormfiends worth? Like with 3 cannons, 8 mortars and acolytes?

Cheers

I really like the mortar for thinning out horde to a more manageable. I only have one now and have gotten lucky enough for it to have hit reliably. I would think that having multiple would be more reliable and could also threaten support heros. 

It would be interesting to see if going all out on ranged damage would work. It might struggle against armies that can teleport or can close distance without taking many shooting phases.

My rule of thumb for the mortars tend to be: 3x mortars = 1x Plagueclaw/Warplightning. 

3 mortars are often better than one plagueclaw, but warplightning cannon is a notable alternative.

Either way, when going that heavy into shooting, clanrats/giant rats meatshield becomes more important than ever. No longer are they only there to protect the army - now they have to do the brunt of the objective grabbing as well. The weapon teams and acolytes surely do not want to put themselves that far into the open ;) fill up those ally points.

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Freejack02 said:

Thoughts on Doomwheels from experienced Skryre players? Is it worth the 130 points as a mobile threat / distraction?

I've only used it 2 or 3 times. Most of what it does is run over my own units, though that is probably my fault for doubling the movement constantly. I tried to use it to  contest a flank so it tends to get isolated and killed. It has some utility as a behemoth to capture points in some battleplans. Overall I have found it to not do enough damage or be survivable enough for me to give it more tries to learn how to use it better.

15 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I've only used it 2 or 3 times. Most of what it does is run over my own units, though that is probably my fault for doubling the movement constantly. I tried to use it to  contest a flank so it tends to get isolated and killed. It has some utility as a behemoth to capture points in some battleplans. Overall I have found it to not do enough damage or be survivable enough for me to give it more tries to learn how to use it better.

I would add that the doomwheel is just too random in my experience. Don’t get me wrong, I love some skaven randomness but... let’s look at it shall we?

move: roll 2d6

shooting: d6 attacks and their damage is also random! (D3)

main melee attack: d6 attacks for pitiful 1 damage each.

It lead to so many turns were it just does not do anything. On top of that the ability to deal mortal woulds by rolling over targets is almost  impossible to use without using “more-more speed!” (Because you still need to be 3” away from the enemy after moving) and that comes with its own risks...

I wish it was just a bit more reliable. The model is so awesome!

I'm about to try the 8 mortars out but am still wondering about this chaff thing.

If I space my 8 mortars out enough (like >6-8") from another, do I really fear being charged? It would take 8 charges to reach all my mortars. And of course I'm going to make them hard to reach. Same for the acolytes.

I was thinking of fielding stormvermins as allies instead to use them as the clean-up crews behind the mortars. If something manages to get close enough to some mortars, they have likely been weakened already by the mortars and sparks.

But then there is the questio n of sitting on objectives... Perhaps a mix of giant rats and stormvermins

What do you think?

3 hours ago, Num said:

I'm about to try the 8 mortars out but am still wondering about this chaff thing.

If I space my 8 mortars out enough (like >6-8") from another, do I really fear being charged? It would take 8 charges to reach all my mortars. And of course I'm going to make them hard to reach. Same for the acolytes.

I was thinking of fielding stormvermins as allies instead to use them as the clean-up crews behind the mortars. If something manages to get close enough to some mortars, they have likely been weakened already by the mortars and sparks.

But then there is the questio n of sitting on objectives... Perhaps a mix of giant rats and stormvermins

What do you think?

Clanrats are superior allies to Stormvermin in every way. Small squads of stormvermin will be grinded down by the larger units of clanrats - and clanrats provide much better protection. Stormvermin only outperforms clanrats as a maxed out unit, and even then they're on the limit of it. Don't run them outside of Verminus/Chaos unless you really need to fill a 140 pts spot ;)

As for your plan of spacing out mortars, note that while an opponent will charge one of them, he can easily reach several simultaneously since they don't actually block him at all. Between the charge itself, and 3'' pile in, you could lose at least 3 mortars every charge to a half decent combat unit. All while being unable to shoot back efficiently because of your minimum 6'' range. Chaff serves you well in that regard, since you can position your mortars so that if the chaff gets attacked, ALL the mortars are in optimal firing range.

Also, without meatshields, which units are you planning to send to grab objectives? ;)

Thanks for the advice

So here is my list for the tournament taking your advice into account:

Allegiance: Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vial of the Fulminator
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vial of the Fulminator
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
- Allies
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
- Allies
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
8 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (480)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
- Allies
10 x Giant Rats (60)
- Allies
10 x Giant Rats (60)
- Allies
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Clan Skryre (100)
Arkhspark Voltik (50)
Arkhspark Voltik (50)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 117

Still hesitating between the double arkhspark or just 3 warpfire throwers... I never played Skryre. I get the idea of self a destruction, but Arkhspark seems like a big gamble to me as there is a 50% risk of damaging the cannons.

What is your experience with running Arkhspark please?

As for the list, my tournament also requires lists with 500/1000/1500 points so I made similar ones for these formats.

Cheers

5 hours ago, Num said:

Thanks for the advice

So here is my list for the tournament taking your advice into account:

You can only have one of each artifact. 

Consider using overseer of destruction instead of the scavenger. You don't need the extra warptokens, and between re-rolling to hits on your EIGHT mortars, and the to-wound buffing from your priests, you should be able to have a very good damage output.

Always use arkspark first in your hero phase. Your Arch-warlock hands out a single re-roll, which you want to use to prevent at least one instance of your warplightning cannons backfiring. There is a risk involved with arkspark, but you should be fine. 

Feel free to replace your 20x clanrats with 2x10 giant rats more. Since you're not maxing them out (therefore giving them zero dmg output), you might as well spread out your meatshields along multiple units to make them more of a nuisance to get through. Do not expect them to kill anything ;) never charge them unless singular targets to steal objectives.

Acolytes work very well with meatshields in front of them, pair them up with units accordingly. Punish enemy engagements with them, mortars, warplightning and spells. Focused fire could almost bring down Nagash :)

Mind that your thin meatshield lines prevent you from taking the offensive. If your opponent is able to engage you outside of range, you have no solid infantry to bring the fight to him. In effect, you rely on wiping out the opponent. On the plus side, a majority of players will march into range, so you should be fine ;) best of luck.

Alright, after playing around a bit more over the past month or two I've came up with this list. Any thoughts? Bringing it to a local tournament this weekend. Off the top of my head, other armies include Ironjawz, Death, DoK, Stormcast, and Fyreslayers. Objectives are Scorched Earth, Knife to the Heart and Starstrike. Any sound advice on this considering the armies involved and objectives? Will be my first time doing "real" objectives that aren't just ones pulled from open war cards, so any tips on how to properly deal with obj's is nice too.

Allegiance: Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
- Artefact: Esoteric Warp Resonator 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- General
- Trait: Overseer of Destruction 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Packmaster (80)
- Shock-Prod
- Allies
3 x Stormfiends (300)
- Shock Gauntlets
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
9 x Warplock Jezzails (420)
4 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (240)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 280 / 400
Wounds: 123

I have a ton of acolytes available (around 35 total) and various other things including 6 more stormfiends and 2k worth of Eshin that could all be used.

On 08/04/2018 at 11:20 PM, Num said:

Hi

Cheers

Hi, I had a game with my many mortars in a 1500 format, knife to the heart scenario.

My list was more or less: arch-warlock, 2 plague priests with plague censers, 20 clanrats, 2*10 giant rats, 3*5 acolytes, 2 cannons and 7 mortars.

My opponent played hard-hitting destruction with, if I recall correctly: frostlord on stonehorn, firebelly, 5*manears, 4*5 ogors, 20 grots.

He placed his 20 grots on his objective and rushed me with everything.

I had a screen of 10 giant rats, a second screen of 20 clanrats in line, and then all my toys.

I also had on the flank a "specops" unit with 10 giant rats, 5 acolytes and 2 mortars to rush the grots.

Unluckily, his frostlord managed to get past my screen. He managed to kill my 2 cannons and my arch-warlock until I killed him (he divides the damages by half so that were 26dmg in 2 turns). The plague priests and arch warlock were MVP here...

My mortars and acolytes managed to kill 5 maneaters and 10 ogors until my screen finally broke (that's 60 wounds)

My specops unit ran to the objectives but were intercepted by 5 ogors and a firebelly. They almost won me the game but for some bad dice rolls on the mortars. If he mortars had hit the grots, they would have wiped the unit and allowed my giant rats to seize the objective.

The ogors won the scenario at the end orlf round 5 because they killed more points, as I had only 5 acolytes and 3 mortars standing.

The MVPs of this game were the arch-warlock, plague priests and mortars. Acolytes were not bad either.

I made some poor dice rolls with the mortars, but the warpatone sparks always allowed me to double one successful damage per round, allowing me for constant damage output.

I think I lost the game because of my lack of experience with the list (poor placement) and because the opponent had very small units (5 models each). Opponents having 20+ size units would have been crushed by the 8 mortars.

I cant change the list for the next games, but if I could i would have swapped the 2 cannons with 6 more mortars, some jezzails, more acolytes or some stormfiends.

I would like to test the gascloud as well but I can't squeeze 3 stormfiends without losing some of my many mortars... Instead, a list with 20 mortars would be fun too... Too bad we can't use multiple sparks per phase.

To be continued...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

So, quick battle report: 2k game, the comet objective with a strange deployment for him.

List was:
Arch Warlock (140)
- Artefact: Esoteric Warp Resonator 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- General
- Trait: Overseer of Destruction 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
3 x Stormfiends (2 Ratling, 1 Grinder) (300)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
6 x Warplock Jezzails (280)
1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80)
3 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (180)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
10 x Gutter Runners (120)
- Allies
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Clan Skryre (100)
Rattlegauge Warplock (50)
Arkhspark Voltik (50)

As you can see, the sylvaneth player opted to put everything in one blob within range of pretty much all of my shooting and spells. Long story short, I went first and used hero phase shooting to kill off his Drycha right away. Subsequent shooting phase killed 12 Dryads (mortar+spark is amazing), wounded his durthu and Treelord a bit and plinked the Kurnoths a bit.

Gutter runners and stormfiends came in and he charged the 10 gutter runners with durthu which was great since they were probably the least threatening thing around.

He charged what he could in his turn and put 10 revenants behind me. The 40 man clanrat screen was too much for 18 Dryads to chew through, killing around half the unit of 40 the whole game. I got next turn.

Ultimately the entire game was me staying put and shooting the hell out of his heroes and once they were gone I focus fired the 5x2 revenants who teleported behind me, which only managed to kill 4 acolytes as he failed a 3" charge with his other revenant unit. By round 3 the objective landed on me and he conceded with 1 revenant and 1 Kurnoth left.

Overall pretty happy with it considering I played a Kroaknado at 1500 points the week before which resulted in half my army being removed in the first round since he went first. I will say that I am not too sure how I feel on the WLC. It nearly killed itself twice (putting it down to 1 wound all on its own) and only put out 5-7 MW's in exchange. I really feel it would be better to just run more jezzails, maybe with or without a battalion as 6 of them really doesn't seem to cut it compared to using 9-12. This is also the third time I've used the Ratling+Grinder stormfiends and I am really not impressed with the output..or maybe I just had bad rolls. Would it be better to use Doomflayers or Grinders and try to make a 9" charge into something? I only had the gutter runners in as an experiment to either distract (which worked out great since it kept Durthu off me) or to grab an objective if it spawned in somewhere far away since this army is HIGHLY immobile. Could be good for Scorched Earth as well I suppose.

I don't know, maybe I need more time to play around with the covens, but I really wonder if they are worth it at 2k opposed to 2.5k. Part of me believes I could do better by just adding more mortars and jezzails with that extra 400 points (by also dropping the ratling gun/gutter runners) especially since the jezzails can't do mortal wounds in hero phase shooting. Let me know your thoughts, I really appreciate the constructive criticism around here!

Skaven3.jpg

skaven2.jpg

skaven1.jpg

Thanks for the batrep, always good to hear about the rats efforts in battle.

You just made me realise that jezzails dont get MW in the hero phase... making the coven decidely less powerful, agree with your comments. No sure if the battalion is worth it or at least if certain covens are not.

maybe best to stick to arkhspark / chokelung?
disappointed about rattleguage, whyrlblade is beyond useless, and gautfyre is... useful but controversial.

i usually only arm stormfiends with warpfires, ratlings as support not deepstrike or shockfists+packmasters. The only times i have used grinderfists they get lost and dont turn up.

Yeah, I didn't roll MW's in the hero phase (luckily for him) but I didn't find out about the "can shoot as though it were the shooting phase" apparently being FAQ'd until I posted in a facebook group. Then I was informed that because jezzails specifically say "MW's in the shooting phase" it literally only works in that phase, despite it saying "as though it were" the shooting phase. So hopefully you can see my confusion.

This setup seems to largely favor staying put, so I feel that deciding who goes first is never a make or break thing compared to other armies, so the low drop count isn't as enticing. I'm one of maybe 2 or 3 Skaven players in the area, so most are very unfamiliar with them so no one considers gautfyre, but I may try it out one time just to see it in action, even if I don't agree with it...Although I also don't use balewind either unless I'm heavily outmatched as I don't want to be that guy.

I've only used stormfiends so far with shock gauntlets and Vigordust+Packmaster and it's always a sight to behold. I've been lucky on the deepstriking and have yet to have it fail, but I just can't see myself consistently getting a 9" charge so I went with ratlings which aren't doing anything for me since out of 2 phases that they shot at Durthu, I got maybe 4-5 wounds on him from 6d6 attacks. I may just stick to no deepstrikes and running Warpfire, or swap out the ratlings for Doomflayers+Grinder because if I do get the charge off, all that -2 rend+D3 damage would be nice.

Intresting report thanks for sharing 

I myself don't think the battalion is worth the points in 2000pt games 200pts seems to much to me. Intresting you've not been having luck with the ratlingun stormfiends they have been a star for me 

6 hours ago, Oldmanlee said:

Intresting report thanks for sharing 

I myself don't think the battalion is worth the points in 2000pt games 200pts seems to much to me. Intresting you've not been having luck with the ratlingun stormfiends they have been a star for me 

One game out of the three they did their job in stopping a chaos lord on manticore, but that was with around 2-3 turns of shooting. I'm not saying I want to one-shot anything, but I feel like I could do better with a melee option and have at least 2 more wounds depending. I'm not sure, I hear mixed things about pretty much everything that isn't warpfire or shock gauntlets+packmaster.

How do you bring your warpfire fiends to the enemy, if you don't use the battalion to teleport within 9"? Do you footslog them, or do you teleport them 9" away with a warp-grinder, wait for a turn and hope that your stormfiends don't get smashed?

I feel like I have no good way to bring the hurt to my enemy in lower point matches, like 1k.

Archived