Let´s Talk Skyre

Xanax Lot

2 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

Yea it is a bit of a bummer.

As for weapons teams, one of my normal lists includes 5 Poison Wind Mortars.  With the Skyre doubling ability, they can wreck some face (in a game a couple weeks ago I turn 1 blew up a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon when I snuck two wounds through and rolled a 6, which I doubled to 12, and a 4).  I also love that I can spread them out and either hide them behind terrain or use them as chaff/blockers.  I think this aspect get overlooked a bunch.

Ya poison wind mortars sound great! The only problem is i just have 1 of them lol. Sounds to me like for them to work, you really need to bring a lot of them. At least 4+

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Flood said:

Ya poison wind mortars sound great! The only problem is i just have 1 of them lol. Sounds to me like for them to work, you really need to bring a lot of them. At least 4+

That does sound quite good though! I have 5 of them, so it may be time to put them to use. I wonder if the Warpfire teams are any good.

Yeah the battalion is way to expensive to use. Sure they provide a huge damage output which is really nice (great for a team tournament maybe) but the price tag means you can't field the same amount of models and that really hurts (since that is the big drawback with clan Skryre).

The wind mortars should definitely be used as  @TheWilddog said. With a to wound percentage of 25% never count on them actually doing anything. Just be glad when it happens. =) I find the weapon teams tend to be overlooked by the opponents as well. With maybe the flamer as an exception. Guess the words "mortal wounds" sound intimidating.  

Hi really quick and dumb question - I'm playing as mixed Chaos (mostly khorne) in 4 player games with friends - and as they are heavy ranged armies, I need a ranged option myself!

I'm going to make myself a Skaven Ratling Gun or two by modifying other models into something resembling one - (we're a very accepting group when it comes to conversions and play-as), however I'm unsure of the height of Skaven and this particular team? I was going to use some old Grots and mould them into Skaven from there (longer nose, add a tail etc) but want to keep a relatively true LOS - are Grots about the right height, or am I way off the mark? I figured two square bases kept next to each other would also be about right?

Apologies for my ignorance on Skaven, and my cheap approach to playing some!  

22 hours ago, Duck1986 said:

Hi really quick and dumb question - I'm playing as mixed Chaos (mostly khorne) in 4 player games with friends - and as they are heavy ranged armies, I need a ranged option myself!

I'm going to make myself a Skaven Ratling Gun or two by modifying other models into something resembling one - (we're a very accepting group when it comes to conversions and play-as), however I'm unsure of the height of Skaven and this particular team? I was going to use some old Grots and mould them into Skaven from there (longer nose, add a tail etc) but want to keep a relatively true LOS - are Grots about the right height, or am I way off the mark? I figured two square bases kept next to each other would also be about right?

Apologies for my ignorance on Skaven, and my cheap approach to playing some!  

Jezzails or a Warplightning Cannon is probably your best bet :). Especially Jezzails are extremely easy to make a conversion of  since it only requires some 40k guns (Skitarii are best I've found) and cutting off some arms.

11 hours ago, Kugane said:

Jezzails or a Warplightning Cannon is probably your best bet :). Especially Jezzails are extremely easy to make a conversion of  since it only requires some 40k guns (Skitarii are best I've found) and cutting off some arms.

I endorse this message. :p. Btw i bought skitari guns to convert jezzails too. Still havent gotten around to doing it yet. How did you do yours? Do you have some pics of yours that you can share? :). Id love to see them! Im actually wondering if the barrels are long enough to create that jezzail look, as the original have really long barrels. I considered cutting two guns and trying to combine them together to make 1 long barrel, but the problem is i only have 10 guns so could only make 3 "long" barrels. What so you think about this idea?

never mind. Saw that this had been discussed earlier. Tunneling ratling guns don't really cut it for me...

Since you can't count a a charge from a tunneled stormfiend unit they will have to (50% turnroll risk) survive a counter-attack, which I've found they are extremely sensitive for (with onle 4+ and a bravery of 6), I have a hard time seeing this as a workable strategy.

Tunneling Minigun fiends are good if used properly. Think of them, not as an assault troop, rather like an assassin type one. Your opponent will be fighting clanrats / other Stormfiends, moving forward to deal with Warp Cannons and Mortars (or suck some damage each turn)when your guys pop in the back with SURPRISE BUTTS... on their mages/generals/support/whatever.

17 hours ago, Flood said:

I endorse this message. :p. Btw i bought skitari guns to convert jezzails too. Still havent gotten around to doing it yet. How did you do yours? Do you have some pics of yours that you can share? :). Id love to see them! Im actually wondering if the barrels are long enough to create that jezzail look, as the original have really long barrels. I considered cutting two guns and trying to combine them together to make 1 long barrel, but the problem is i only have 10 guns so could only make 3 "long" barrels. What so you think about this idea?

I havent done green stuffing mine yet, but I'll get you a picture of what they are currently looking like. Give me a bit :)

22 hours ago, Flood said:

And back, well, my Jezzails I only had 1 long barrel one that I put on some converted warlord, the rest is quite short, but I think it still looks good enough as a conversion.

Oh and I realized I promised you some pictures of my converted Gutter Runner horde  and Verminlord Deceiver (the Eshin thread 2 or 3 months ago. To prove that Clanrats can be sneaky buggers too. (I got like 60 converted gutter runners, but only 10 or so painted up at the moment).  My only limitation was working on a budget and what I had lying around. 

I wanted to give my Verminlord a bit of a Ninjutsu vibe (real ninjutsu), so I went a mix of Doko no Kamae and Ihen no Kamae ( a fighting stances in traditional Ninjutsu) for him.

Anyways, the conversions (and yes, the verminlord has his thumbs in the right spots. I made sure of that ;), no double right hands here):

5a28120e3f849_Skavenconversions1.jpg.240114d0496f74265d6e8339adf1496e.jpg

As for the Jezzails, here is some front and back pics with the 'short' guns. As you can see they are long enough (in my opinion). Just put the two skaven really close to each other and you'll be fine. The Engineer from the Island of Blood set is my favourite model to work with for the highest quality look. You just need to cover his shield with dirt and put him on a ramp to make him look less engineer like. I got more jezzails if you need more material to go with.

I made a mistake with the first few Jezzails, where I picked the wrong clanrat to sit behind the shield. Don't be a pleb like me and picking the tall clanrats, get the ones that are low to the ground, it looks more natural :).

5a281211e048b_SkavenConversions.jpg.e4c0f84a68a55f2a7609b8e84e6162c2.jpg

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, Kugane said:

Thanks for this! Could you still clarify on the size of the figures though? Bigger or smaller than goblins? :)

8 hours ago, Duck1986 said:

Thanks for this! Could you still clarify on the size of the figures though? Bigger or smaller than goblins? :)

I think grots are a little bit smaller, but just give them a bit of scenic basis and it shouldn't matter. They arent that much of a difference, plus a lot of skaven vary in size as it is already.

On 12/6/2017 at 11:58 AM, Kugane said:

And back, well, my Jezzails I only had 1 long barrel one that I put on some converted warlord, the rest is quite short, but I think it still looks good enough as a conversion.

Oh and I realized I promised you some pictures of my converted Gutter Runner horde  and Verminlord Deceiver (the Eshin thread 2 or 3 months ago. To prove that Clanrats can be sneaky buggers too. (I got like 60 converted gutter runners, but only 10 or so painted up at the moment).  My only limitation was working on a budget and what I had lying around. 

I wanted to give my Verminlord a bit of a Ninjutsu vibe (real ninjutsu), so I went a mix of Doko no Kamae and Ihen no Kamae ( a fighting stances in traditional Ninjutsu) for him.

Anyways, the conversions (and yes, the verminlord has his thumbs in the right spots. I made sure of that ;), no double right hands here):

5a28120e3f849_Skavenconversions1.jpg.240114d0496f74265d6e8339adf1496e.jpg

As for the Jezzails, here is some front and back pics with the 'short' guns. As you can see they are long enough (in my opinion). Just put the two skaven really close to each other and you'll be fine. The Engineer from the Island of Blood set is my favourite model to work with for the highest quality look. You just need to cover his shield with dirt and put him on a ramp to make him look less engineer like. I got more jezzails if you need more material to go with.

I made a mistake with the first few Jezzails, where I picked the wrong clanrat to sit behind the shield. Don't be a pleb like me and picking the tall clanrats, get the ones that are low to the ground, it looks more natural :).

5a281211e048b_SkavenConversions.jpg.e4c0f84a68a55f2a7609b8e84e6162c2.jpg

Thanks for the awesome pics! Its good to see what they may look like before putting them together. At least now i have a picture in my head :). Although mine wont look nearly as good because i dont have any spare engineers from IOB/SOD. I only have one of them which i plan to use as a 2nd engineer alongside my warplock engineer.

Also, what shields are those? My next dilema was to find sheilds for them that would look good. I have some really old clanrats and they have these round shields you glue onto their arms. I was going to try and edit 3 of them together and make like a sort of stacked look of shields but not sure how that might look in the end. It may look bad :(. 

Those gutter runners do look good too! They actually look better than the original gutter runners imo. Amazing how you got them to look so stealthy haha. Their body position is great. I bet you had to pick out the perfect rat to get that effect. 

Also, interesting take on the boneripper to deceiver. I think it works! I can see him flipping around with those four arms flailing about artistically and eloquently cutting people up lol. Where did you get all them spare bits! Thats two warbringer arms! 

Anyway, sorry for the late reply. Had a big exam i had to attend to. 

3 hours ago, Flood said:

Thanks for the awesome pics! Its good to see what they may look like before putting them together. At least now i have a picture in my head :). Although mine wont look nearly as good because i dont have any spare engineers from IOB/SOD. I only have one of them which i plan to use as a 2nd engineer alongside my warplock engineer.

Also, what shields are those? My next dilema was to find sheilds for them that would look good. I have some really old clanrats and they have these round shields you glue onto their arms. I was going to try and edit 3 of them together and make like a sort of stacked look of shields but not sure how that might look in the end. It may look bad :(. 

Those gutter runners do look good too! They actually look better than the original gutter runners imo. Amazing how you got them to look so stealthy haha. Their body position is great. I bet you had to pick out the perfect rat to get that effect. 

Also, interesting take on the boneripper to deceiver. I think it works! I can see him flipping around with those four arms flailing about artistically and eloquently cutting people up lol. Where did you get all them spare bits! Thats two warbringer arms! 

Anyway, sorry for the late reply. Had a big exam i had to attend to. 

I personally had a little bit of a gap between the torso and the arm bits, but with some green stuff you can fill that gap easily. Just put plastic glue all over the 'connection' bit and just glue wherever they connect a bit. I personally glue the gun to the left arm last by opening it slightly and putting a tiny drop on the wrist bit.

As for the shields, there are 2 options. I personally went with the stormvermin shields, I use the shield that has the chainmail for the bottom part and I clip off the tip so it looks like its stuck into the ground a little. Then I take 3 other shields, one with a hole at the top to be the middle piece, so it looks like there is a hole in the middle where the 'shield' skaven can peek through, and 2 of the shields with the sides open at the sides. I use some clippers to make the connecting surfaces flat. If you cut carefully with the sprue clipper you should have a good enough result to glue them.

The shield skaven themselves are clanrats. They are the boxed clanrats, not IoB or Spire of Dawn. I tried to create a big shield by glueing more shields to an IOB clanrat's arm, but it just looked messy... Also used the plague monk bodies before, but it just looked too 'converted' if you know what I mean. the quality of the parts didn't match each other at all.

I personally feel the Skaven warstyle is very Japanese-like, and I kind of liked the way they would use tatami (woven bamboo) as a shield. Historical pics aren't mine obviously, but it looked like this:

5a2af54c87b61_1(1).jpg.6e17a581a5f46a8cebb0b664b4a69c34.jpg5a2af54e257ee_1(2).jpg.5119d4ac3e2cf8c7dccb0cc49a618023.jpg

I was originally planning to make my skaven like this, but I couldn't find enough bits. The bits that are perfect for this kind of set-up are the goblin shields from old warhammer like the pic below:

1.jpg.1d7eda920c6d40dd8134d4460b494a9d.jpg

The shields on the right side their back is completely the 'woven' bamboo look without the pike. I planned to put two of those on top of each other and then add a spare spear or whatever to keep it upstraight. Maybe its an idea for you :). I think even the camouflage the japanese made in front of their shields with the rolls of grain and grass is quite easy to reproduce in warhammer.

Concerning the Gutter runners, I went ahead and bought 80 clanrat bodies on ebay at 1$ each. I picked the most Eshin looking rats (no armour and lots of cloth) and I bought 2 boxes of bloodbowl. After that its just a matter of clipping off hands and arms from bloodbowl characters and clipping away the hand or arm of the clanrats and putting it there. I found that the bloodbowl skaven that holds the ball looks great if you just cut off his 'ball' tail and replace it with a tail from a different skaven in the set. You can position it as if he's using the tail to defend himself easily. Also the bloodbowl sets come with 2 gutter runners each already, which is a plus :). So 2 boxes just editting the ball keeper and gutter runner alone is enough to create 8 gutter runners, and then you have plenty of spare bits to convert a bunch of clanrats. I cut a lot of clanrat tails off and replaced it with bloodbowl tails... but in hindsight that only looks good on a few of them :(, I got like 10 rats that look quite ugly. But I guess thats the life of converting... Lots of stuff will turn out quite bad in the process, and some pieces turn out great.

I was most worried I would mess up the verminlord look, but I think he turned out alright, even though his back is very ugly. I had  lots of spare bits from the Deceiver set, 1 spare warbringer arm, and I got the second one off ebay for like 7$ for all the verminlord options. And I had an unpainted boneripper that I assembled 2 years ago and never painted up because his rules were bad and never seen any use for him. (I bought it for 30$ on discount and took it for the warpfire throwers for my stormfiends) The brazier fists look awesome, but just aren't very good :/.  So it was time to get the clippers out and completely rip the boneripper apart (pun not intended). If you need an extra doom star or w/e btw, I still have it lying around. The 2nd punch dagger was easy to convert, because the thumb sticks out, easy to clip off and just re-glue on the other side of the hand. His index finger looks slightly out of place, but, its hardly noticable the way he's holding the weapon.

Np for the slow replies btw! :) I hope I covered all.

On 2017-12-06 at 1:39 PM, RoyalDachshund said:

Tunneling Minigun fiends are good if used properly. Think of them, not as an assault troop, rather like an assassin type one. Your opponent will be fighting clanrats / other Stormfiends, moving forward to deal with Warp Cannons and Mortars (or suck some damage each turn)when your guys pop in the back with SURPRISE BUTTS... on their mages/generals/support/whatever.

Guess this could be a viable strategy but it is an awful lot of points for suprise butts. 1 fiend with rattling will do 1-2 wounds before saves and no rend in followup charges (on the rattling rats). Might be usable if coupled with deciever skitterleaping himself (or arch-warlock) up back there as well. Although I'l probably go with combat fiends anyway and acolytes, jezzails, cannon, flamefiends and weapon teams holdning my own back line. 

We're going to throw a mini-tournament at our local club in about a month and i'm leaning towards giving the rats a run. It's a rather competitive community so all kinds of filth is welcome. Therefore i'm a bit curious on running the battalion in order to handle things like stardragons, multiple LoCs, Kroaks on balewinds, superwhiped bloodletter hordes and so forth.

Clan Skryre
Arch warlock

Gascloud Chokelung
Engineer
Poison Wind Mortar
2x5 Acolytes

Gautfyre Skorch
Engineer (brass orb)
3 Stormfiends w. warpflame
Warp-grinder
Warpfire Thrower

Verminlord Deceiver (ally)
Ratling gun

310pts to spare

I could go for three fiends armed with maybe a grinder and two shock or something like that but I'm not sure the big rats are worth it. They are rather slow with a superlow model count and with bravery 6 a bravery test is horrifying. 6 jezzails might be another option since with the tokens they can more often than not snipe out a character at 30 inch range. OR 5 acolytes, a cannon and another mortar team. The upside with some non MW shooting is that if I don't pop up in my first hero phase get a good chance of erasing some some chaff units that might block my fiends from popping out and flame the key target. Like lord Kroak on balewind for example. The fiends needs to stand in the absolute correct spot in order to hit him, so two units of skinks surrounding him is rather annoying. 

What are your thought? How would you make the list so that clan Skryre could at least give the toughest list a run for its money? 

On 18.12.2017 at 2:01 PM, Betelgeuse said:

We're going to throw a mini-tournament at our local club in about a month and i'm leaning towards giving the rats a run. It's a rather competitive community so all kinds of filth is welcome. Therefore i'm a bit curious on running the battalion in order to handle things like stardragons, multiple LoCs, Kroaks on balewinds, superwhiped bloodletter hordes and so forth.

Clan Skryre
Arch warlock

Gascloud Chokelung
Engineer
Poison Wind Mortar
2x5 Acolytes

Gautfyre Skorch
Engineer (brass orb)
3 Stormfiends w. warpflame
Warp-grinder
Warpfire Thrower

Verminlord Deceiver (ally)
Ratling gun

310pts to spare

I could go for three fiends armed with maybe a grinder and two shock or something like that but I'm not sure the big rats are worth it. They are rather slow with a superlow model count and with bravery 6 a bravery test is horrifying. 6 jezzails might be another option since with the tokens they can more often than not snipe out a character at 30 inch range. OR 5 acolytes, a cannon and another mortar team. The upside with some non MW shooting is that if I don't pop up in my first hero phase get a good chance of erasing some some chaff units that might block my fiends from popping out and flame the key target. Like lord Kroak on balewind for example. The fiends needs to stand in the absolute correct spot in order to hit him, so two units of skinks surrounding him is rather annoying. 

What are your thought? How would you make the list so that clan Skryre could at least give the toughest list a run for its money? 

You're gonna struggle with objectives, since you have nothing to hold em with against any unit that wants to contest (any unit bigger than 5 will mess you up). Your Gascloud chokelung, or gautfyre scorch could also do with some power-up. Strengthen one of them to give them some more oomph. My personal suggestion being either throwing in more acolytes (who are amazing if you can screen them properly) - or additional poison wind mortars. The ratling gun is dead weight in your list (if they're close enough to get rattlegunned, it won't make the difference you need) - and your verminlord deceiver overlaps with the gautfyre skorch in function. I'd suggest removing the Deceiver for either 400pts of clanrat allies (2x40) or 200pts of clanrats and something else. Corruptor, Furnace and Screaming bell are all in this category. 

That all being said, I also do think that you're throwing points down the drain with the Gautfyre skorch battalion. I've advocated against it pretty heavily before, and I still stand by that. You're only gonna get off that alpha strike once, and it's pretty easy to counter with some moderately clever deployment. Even in the absence of a solid counterplay, you'll still lose most of that battalion in return when your opponent gets their turn. Makes it inconsistent. The brass orb is a clever addition to that though, at least.  

tl;dr:
- Get more bodies (clanrats, acolytes)

- Switch out the Deceiver if you're gonna run Gautfyre Skorch. If you drop the Skorch, then the Deceiver can be kept.

- More gas for your Chokelung! (Acolytes, Poison Wind Mortars)

Important questions to ask yourself:
- How will you deal with hordes? (Check, you've got the gas, but you need more)

- How will you contest objectives (You can't, get more bodies)

- How will you kill enemy heroes/monsters? (Between the arch-warlock and warlock engineers, you should be fine, but don't underestimate the power of a warpfire thrower or two in the middle of your footslogging line as a countermeasure to getting jumped by a mournghoul - they can do more than just alpha-strike the enemy y'know ;) )

- How will you survive an enemy alpha strike, or early charge? (You won't, get more bodies)

- How will you push an enemy off an objective? (Gas, Arch-Warlock, Warlock Engineers, Acolytes)

I think that about covers it.  

@Betelgeuse

Mayple summed up the issues with your list imo. Its just too light on wounds and bodies to be flexible enough for a range of opponents.

I can see it getting overrun by forces with a few decent infantry blocks or simply unable to hold or push them off objectives.

I think Gautfyre doesnt scale well and is overly expensive at 2000pts or less, you will get value out of it if you can alpha in multiple stormfiend units, but at these sizes you cant afford that. And I haven't seen  many good results out of splitting your forces to take on the enemy, especially when small from the outset.
But if thats the theme, then I would do what Mayple said and leave the assassination role up to them and swap the deceiver and all ally points for clanrats.
It will change the whole substance of your force from the opponents point of view.

If you have 2x40 clanrats, then additional acolytes or weapons teams like warpfire or ratling closeby will be useful as support.
Will turn a mediocre combat unit into a threat.

I've seen a handful of attempts at Gautfyre and most times it ends badly. I think most failures were due to treating them as a suicide squad and going too deep into the enemy.
The coven gets alienated from the rest of your force, after the initial damage, the enemy turns and wipes you out and then turns once again and deals with whats left of you.
You would only suicide 600+ points to have a mighty pay off. 
I think an option is hitting a flank and doing some damage there, but 1) positioning so their entire force cant turn its attention on you 2) giving yourself some possibility of getting support from the rest of your army.

If you are thinking of using the mortar as an anti-horde measure, don't rely on only 1.

Good luck!

I completely agree with all of what you have pointed out here. The lack of bodies is the true enemy of clan skryre. Also why massed stormfiends is really hard to play with. So many points in so few bodies. I usually run without the battalion but I was a bit curious on if there were any possibilities to make it (gautfyre) work. Plan was to hit both flanks with arch-warlock on one side and gautfyre on the other and then follow up with deceiver and artillery following turns. Turns out it is hugely dependent on turnroll.

But as a followup question: Has anyone gotten the clan skryre battalion to work well without the gautfyre? And if so... how?  Massed weapon teams are great and all that but if you're up against a stardrake or kroak they will all be gone in a turn or two.

I think an issue with the Skryre battalion is committing to 3 wizards that are compendium units with no command abilities.
Your investing in 340pts there and then 300pts for the gautfyre configuration minimum. It definitely chews through some points that can go elsewhere.
I like what it does, but it is an expensive commitment.

Would you consider another configuration of the battalion?
e.g. double Chokelung? Chokelung/Rattleguage? Chokelung/Arkhspark?
Saves you 100pts and they do some decent stuff.

I haven't run the Skryre battalion, letalone a Gautfyre configuration. Haven't played battles more than 2K, which i think isn't large enough for Gautfyre, and not incentive enough for the battalion.

But if your idea with Gautfyre is to create a decent assassin/wrecking ball in the enemy mists, then how about this.

Take rattleguage configuration and a team of 6-9 jezzails with a character with a vigordust injector close by.
Rattleguage lets you fire in hero phase in addition to normal shooting phase. Vigordust +1 to hit means they do MW on 5+ at range 30"

6x jezzails are doing approx 9.3MW + 6.3 normal wounds at -2 rend per turn
Cost 280pts

You can delete quite a few things like this.
Add in a Chokleung coven and you probably have some scary MW output without relying on the fragility of weapons teams - though having a mortar to launch the "experimental weapon" 22" is nice. Sure the jezzails wont be good against a Stardrake/mirror but arcane bolt/warpstorm/warp lightning/chokelung weapon could work on chipping him down with MWs.

With something like that you can probably do something like

archwarlock 140
warlock 100
warlock 100

battalion 200pts

2x5 acolytes 120pts
3x stormfiends 300pts
1x mortars 60pts

3x stormfiends 300pts
6 jezzails 280pts
1 ratling guns 80pts

40 clanrats 200pts
20 clanrats 120pts

You dont get the alpha, but you get nasty artillery, 2 units of stormfiends, and the clanrats bodies along with your battalion bonuses.

Still a stretch for me I think, but I'm just brainstorming.

I'd prob drop the battalion, lose a warlock and swap those for a verminlord, then maybe lose the ratling and bring more clanrats.

Also don't underestimate what a blob of 30 acolytes can accomplish. Especially paired with clanrat meatshields. At 20 points more than stormfiends, I tend to value them above regular stormfiends, and just below buffed shockfist stormfiends. They're a skill unit, as they'll get demolished if you misplay them, but they will kill just about anything in range :)

@Nikobot - the arch warlock and warlock engineers aren't compendium though, are they?

I haven't really had much playtesting of the acolytes but If I run a big unit I'd keep the vigordust in mind!

I like stormfiends resilience over acolytes and they can only contribute to the shooting phase, whereas stormfiends can at the very least, hold their own in melee if not give the opponent nightmares. But I do look forward to unleashing a lot of acolytes and seeing what they can do.

@Mayple - sorry, when I said compendium I meant they are characters that haven't been given the love of battletome characters, no additional synergistic abilities, wizards without their own spell decks, command abilities etc. Overall I think they could be a slight better. I think when Skryre gets a book, the warlocks would have to be at the centre of making their clans units really shine, much like an empire engineer gives every war machine that little bit extra.

2 hours ago, Nikobot said:

I haven't really had much playtesting of the acolytes but If I run a big unit I'd keep the vigordust in mind!

I like stormfiends resilience over acolytes and they can only contribute to the shooting phase, whereas stormfiends can at the very least, hold their own in melee if not give the opponent nightmares. But I do look forward to unleashing a lot of acolytes and seeing what they can do.

@Mayple - sorry, when I said compendium I meant they are characters that haven't been given the love of battletome characters, no additional synergistic abilities, wizards without their own spell decks, command abilities etc. Overall I think they could be a slight better. I think when Skryre gets a book, the warlocks would have to be at the centre of making their clans units really shine, much like an empire engineer gives every war machine that little bit extra.

The Stormfiends aren't really -that- much more resilient than acolytes (assuming a full unit of 30) - the bravery bonus from skryre allegiance and a mystic shield goes a long way to keep them in the game, and if your opponent is focusing on them, he is not focusing on the rest of your army (i.e the clanrats that can then run past him and cap objectives) - they're a -great- control element. They take a -lot- of your opponents mental focus, which you can use to your advantage. Everyone either knows what to expect from a stormfiend, or gets surprised by a sudden hard hit - either way, they're not mentally occupied by them - the acolytes, however, will trigger a "Wait, you have THIRTY of them!?" response, which will affect their playstyle whether they're aware of it or not. There's a serious advantage to messing up your opponent's composure like that. 

If you are looking to include a verminlord (despite the loss of bigger clanrat ally numbers if you do so) - do consider the warpseer, as you get some additional spells (which can slow down the advance of an important hammer unit) - and some notable mortal wounds output (throwing the scrying orb) - he is also the tankiest of the Verminlords, so unless he is drowned in mortal wounds, he can stick around for a bit. Serves the same function as a warpfire thrower in the sense that he is there to provide additional oomph for your moshpit (clanrats)

In an ideal world, where all models were freely available, I think one of the most effective non one-trick Skryre approaches would be something along the lines of a multi-layered three frontal assault. 30x Acolytes, 40x clanrats, a Warlock Engineer and one/two warpfire throwers/poison wind mortars on either flank, with an arch-warlock, stormfiends, and whatever else you feel like using the rest of the points for at the center. Something like this:

Allegiance: Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Brass Orb 
Warlock Engineer (100)
3 x Stormfiends (300)
30 x Skryre Acolytes (320)
30 x Skryre Acolytes (320)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
Gascloud Chokelung (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 186

--------

Your goal here is to break one of the flanks, so that you can move to support your center and right flank with everything except the lone weapon team that is holding the objective. The Clanrats are sacrificial meatshields who's only really there to get massacred by a charge (never never never charge them at something. Force your opponent to spend time coming to you by putting them on the objective, or blocking a vital path, blocking the way to your acolytes, etc) - or to retreat past a unit after a round of combat to RUN them onto an objective your opponent tried to deny you. If he hasn't parked a blob ontop of it, you only really need however few rats are remaining in the blob. If he then goes for your acolytes in response (i.e: AWAY from the captured objective) you have basically won the objective game on that flank. If the same happens on both sides, you win the game. Generally speaking. Every hero-phase, you get to drop d6 mortal wounds onto something from your gascloud chokelung battalion, which is a nice additional bonus. I would run the stormfiends with shockfists (hence the vigordust injector on the arch-warlock) to have them BREAK anything that comes too close. 

But y'know. Your taste may differ. I think this list would be appropriately filthy, strong, and flexible. There are very few things you aren't able to deal with.

Archived