Let´s Talk Skyre

Xanax Lot

On 2017-08-29 at 0:20 AM, Terry Pike said:

Unfortunately not :( the weapon doesn't have a damage characteristic double due to the warpfire projectors being a special attack with no hit or wound roll.

Wait a sec, so neither warpfire projectors or throwers can double the damage? Why not? If you do say 3 damage, the abillity states that you can double the damage the weapon does (in this case 3 - so 6)

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Kosmion said:

Wait a sec, so neither warpfire projectors or throwers can double the damage? Why not? If you do say 3 damage, the abillity states that you can double the damage the weapon does (in this case 3 - so 6)

I would really like to see an FAQ for this.

But as things stand at the moment it seems that mortal wound output is technically not "Damage from an attack" therefore it can not be doubled.

15 minutes ago, Kosmion said:

Heres why:

stormfiends.png.80d0ec9e3db39392f56e752e83b17423.png

The Warpfire projector does not have a damage characteristic as it does not do any damage. It does 2D3 mortal wounds instead, which are a different type of roll. As there is no damage characteristic you have nothing to double. I guess you could double zero, but you'd end up with no damage at all and a wasted token.

2 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

@Terry Pike what weapon is better for the ability of doble damage in a unit of stormfiends? 

Go for the highest damage, I imagine its 3 from the Grinder Fists. Its a weird item for Skryre as the things you would want to double can't be buffed with the token :/

ye but the point is grinder fists requires a charge of 9 inches. if you equip windlaunchers for ex you can teleport them with weapon team and shoot for sure because range is 12 inches. my questin is : worth try a charge of 9 ( with packamster 8) or is better something more secure? xD

• 5 weeks later...

Just had a battle aginst Khorne... The guy brough some bloodwarriors, wrathmongers, vanguard, blood secrator, 2 aspiring deathbringuers, the guy thst revives and archaon 

And my list was:

Chaos Alliance: 

- Verminlord Corruptor ( general, +1 to wound, and 6+ to wound causes mortal wounds)

- Arch Warlock 

- warlock

- 2 Pack mastesrs

- 3 x (20) Clanrats

-6 Stormfiends with grinderfiests

-1 warplightning cannon

- 3 rattling guns

This was a solid victory to the skaven only loosing the verminlord and a unit of clanrats! 

The combo with the pack madters and the grinderfiests is brutsl if you manage to get them in the right position. With tjis i managed to kill the vanguard and archaon without loosing a single stormfiend ( although i used the verminlord and the clanrsts as bait)

The verminlord with thid combination is great becsuse of the sheer amount of sttscks he has it doesnt matter if he dosnt have rend or if his dammage is one... Because he has 10 attacks on 3+ rerroling to hit, you will get most of them through and thsn you hsve a 2+ with the 5s and 6s generating mortsl wound sdditionally you get another free mortal wound on a 2+ if you wound a model.

Clanrats in units of 20 are great because they now immediately control objectives just being close to it 

And finslly the long range shooting support is great to eliminate the threats to your packmasters.

I really recoment this list! 

6 hours ago, Xanax Lot said:

Just had a battle aginst Khorne... The guy brough some bloodwarriors, wrathmongers, vanguard, blood secrator, 2 aspiring deathbringuers, the guy thst revives and archaon 

And my list was:

Chaos Alliance: 

- Verminlord Corruptor ( general, +1 to wound, and 6+ to wound causes mortal wounds)

- Arch Warlock 

- warlock

- 2 Pack mastesrs

- 3 x (20) Clanrats

-1 warplightning cannon

- 3 rattling guns

This was a solid victory to the skaven only loosing the verminlord and a unit of clanrats! 

The combo with the pack madters and the grinderfiests is brutsl if you manage to get them in the right position. With tjis i managed to kill the vanguard and archaon without loosing a single stormfiend ( although i used the verminlord and the clanrsts as bait)

The verminlord with thid combination is great becsuse of the sheer amount of sttscks he has it doesnt matter if he dosnt have rend or if his dammage is one... Because he has 10 attacks on 3+ rerroling to hit, you will get most of them through and thsn you hsve a 2+ with the 5s and 6s generating mortsl wound sdditionally you get another free mortal wound on a 2+ if you wound a model.

Clanrats in units of 20 are great because they now immediately control objectives just being close to it 

And finslly the long range shooting support is great to eliminate the threats to your packmasters.

Wouldn't shock gauntlets be better on the stormfiends though? With the +2 packmasters, they get D6 hits on a 4+ hit roll - even more if they roll a 6 first on their chaos allegience thingy (another +1 to hit) 

3 hours ago, Mayple said:

Wouldn't shock gauntlets be better on the stormfiends though? With the +2 packmasters, they get D6 hits on a 4+ hit roll - even more if they roll a 6 first on their chaos allegience thingy (another +1 to hit) 

They probably are! You get a lot more hits and a +1 to the wounds characteristic

I just love the -2 rend, but nex time I will try out shock gauntlets 

This is how math works out for both weapons ( using the corruptor's command ability and 2 packmasters) against an enemy with a 4+ save 

Shock-guantlets: 55.5 wounds on average

Grinder Fists: 42 wounds on average 

Definitely will have to try this new built, this is insane

Everything I have touched with the grinderfist unit has evaporated, with grinderfists we would be talking of killibg conpleate 30 msn orruk units in one charge 

The only problem is movement! They are kinds slow

52 minutes ago, Xanax Lot said:

They probably are! You get a lot more hits and a +1 to the wounds characteristic

I just love the -2 rend, but nex time I will try out shock gauntlets 

This is how math works out for both weapons ( using the corruptor's command ability and 2 packmasters) against an enemy with a 4+ save 

Shock-guantlets: 55.5 wounds on average

Grinder Fists: 42 wounds on average 

Definitely will have to try this new built, this is insane

Everything I have touched with the grinderfist unit has evaporated, with grinderfists we would be talking of killibg conpleate 30 msn orruk units in one charge 

The only problem is movement! They are kinds slow

The -2 rend is really nice, but I think the sheer weight of numbers make shockfists more reliable. At least when buffed. Also, with shockfists, your stormfiends can have the armour that gives them +1 wounds, so they'd be at 7 wounds each. :D

I think a solid middle ground, if you want to keep the utility from grinderfists, is to let one of the stormfiends use the grinder, and the rest get shockfist.

Edit: I derped, you already pointed out the +1 wound advantage :o

10 hours ago, Xanax Lot said:

And my list was:

Chaos Alliance: 

- Arch Warlock 

- warlock

- 2 Pack mastesrs

- 3 x (20) Clanrats

-1 warplightning cannon

- 3 rattling guns

Are you running under grand alliance or skryre allegiance? Because the list is only legal under grand alliance and you miss out on all those sweet new abilities :(. 

9 minutes ago, Flood said:

Are you running under grand alliance or skryre allegiance? Because the list is only legal under grand alliance and you miss out on all those sweet new abilities :(. 

No not skyre, I am running Chaos grand Alliance.

The abilities and artifscts if chaos are great on the corruptor, +1 to wound and mortal wounds on 5, and 6s 

To be honest I dont miss the skyre ability to much

6 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Sorry to repeat post from other Skaven thread but does anyone have any wisdom to share about how best to set up 2 units of Stormfiends? Was thinking one unit with Doomflayers and one unit with the Warpfire, is that a fairly safe bet?

I would suggest running them in a single unit buffed with 2 packmasters and equiped with either shock gauntlets or grinderfiests 

13 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Sorry to repeat post from other Skaven thread but does anyone have any wisdom to share about how best to set up 2 units of Stormfiends? Was thinking one unit with Doomflayers and one unit with the Warpfire, is that a fairly safe bet?

This question is a lot tougher than it seems.  It really comes down to how you are going to use them.  If you are foot slogging into combat then the way @XanaxLot above suggested is the way to go.  As far as ranged options go, the Warpfire Throwers are the standard option.   

However, if you are looking to deploy them via the the Grinderfist tunneling (non-battalion option as I think the battalion is too many points) Rattling Guns are not a bad option.  You tunnel up 9 inches away, so you are outside the 8 inch range of the Warpfire Throwers and have a long charge to get into combat.  However, the Rattling Guns with the 12 inch range can open up the turn they drop in.  I have run a couple of games with 1 Grinderfist and 5 Rattling Guns and really enjoyed the deep striking artillery platform.

Thanks for the advice guys. Ah, I've just realised that there's only one of each weapon in each box. Have 2 but rubbish at converting so might do a grinderfist with 2 rattlings as one unit for some deep strike and one unit with a 2 warpfires and something else, maybe the windlaunchers or something. Can anyone improve on that with the parts from 2 boxes?

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Thanks for the advice guys. Ah, I've just realised that there's only one of each weapon in each box. Have 2 but rubbish at converting so might do a grinderfist with 2 rattlings as one unit for some deep strike and one unit with a 2 warpfires and something else, maybe the windlaunchers or something. Can anyone improve on that with the parts from 2 boxes?

Yup , this kinda sucks, I wish they gave us all the weapon options for all storm fiends in all boxes, usually what I do is I magnetize their weapons... and since I mostly play friendly games I proximity their weapons.

If I ever had to go to a tournament I think I would have to look on ebay for the missing bits

2 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

The rattlings are solid IF you plan on deep striking them. If not, warpfire is the safe, consistent, option.

For the other unit, I actually suggest you do 2 shock gauntlets, 1 grinderfist. This allows you to hit HARD with this second unit, making you a much scarier force to run into than most of your alternatives. If you can buff their to hit, which you should, they become tactical nukes. 

Archived