Let's Chat: Seraphon 2017

tolstedt

For discussion about lists and standout units in the new handbook.  I'll go over my initial thoughts of what stands out to get the party started.

The allegiance ability is amazing.  Five free lightning chariots per game (assuming a 2+ roll) with no range restrictions and no need for the priest to be nearby to cast the prayer.  The lizards seem to now be amphibians because this is some SLIPPERY shenanigans.

If Slann roll double to cast, add 6" to the range of the spell.  Slann can unbind from anywhere.

Croak at 450 is about right.  The command ability can save your life.  The frog's spells are great on a Balewind Vortex with an Astrolith bearer, hitting the entire table with mortal wounds.  The command ability can be used to fix a bad roll on the allegiance ability.  Or any bad roll.

Engine of the gods is worth taking alongside a Slann.  Rolling four and choosing three almost guarantees you can select the 25" mortal wound blast.  I rolled 40 times in a row and missed it twice.  Furthermore, if you use Kroak's command ability, it's totally feasible to roll triple sixes, even moreso if you cast the Starseer's spell which allows you to increase a single die roll for a unit by +1 (you can also give this to a slann via command trait).  Getting this is probably an auto-win, as you get an entire extra turn of scoring.

Knights are great now.  5+ save ignoring rend -1.  Might be as good as liberators since they are fast and can march for double speed.  The firelance battalion, at only 100 points, is a screaming deal and you could easily build a list around these guys.

All the Saurus are good.  A Saurus heavy army could be led by the Oldblood on Carnosaur, giving every hero within 20" 2 extra attacks to one of their weapons.

Skinks are ridiculously good for 60 points.  40 wounds for 200 is absurd.  They will go down to battleshock, but that still means some powerful unit directed enough attacks to do 20 wounds at 200 points!  An incredible trade that can give you an advantage.  I will be buying more skinks.

Artillery is possible.  I like Salamanders.

I like the idea of a summoning list using Kroak or a Slann.  Bring out whatever you need to get the job done.  I would take a slann and give him the ability to come back with d3 wounds if I am worried about the opponent sniping him off first turn.

The strength is the versatility.  So many warscrolls with battalions and heroes now pointed appropriately means the Seraphon have all the tools to get it done.  

Chameleon skinks remain amazing.  They can set up right in the opponents face and are pointed well at 120.  3+ save in cover is thematic and very powerful.  The threat of summoning these in can cause all sorts of problems for your opponent.

Eternal Starhost remains the standout.

Command Traits:

Slann: General can re-roll one on cast.  Very good.  Can take the spells of the skinks.  Also great.  Free 200 point starseer spell.  Teleport 2 units per turn?  Amazing.
Saurus:  Use both inspiring presence and the command ability.  This is awesome.  Throw your unit of 40 skinks or 40 warriors in to stay.  Re-roll saves of 1 is also nice.
Skink:  These are odd.  I will probably never run these.  Using celestial rites twice is ok, but a skink general may just get shot off quickly.

What is everyone's favorite artefact?  They all seem good.

Mortal wound spam remains a problem.  

Does anyone like Kroxigor?  The jaws ability is cool and could slay a hero, but that's a bit too situational for me.

Dracothians tail:  An amazing battalion.  Single drop with two artefacts.  Now we have a reason to paint those knights from the SC boxes.  (Does kouteq count as a named character?  can he take artefacts?)
Fangs of Sotek:  Very cool as well.  Two command abilities.  Use the Slann as normal and use the oldblood to buff your saurus heroes.

What's everyone looking to run?

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Widdershins said:

I was thinking about starting Seraphon, but I heard a lot about how Knights are ******. Are they actually worth taking now? 

Yes!  100 points for 5 makes them, in my initial opinion, on par with liberators for a battleline.  2 wounds, lower save, don't reroll ones to save, but they ignore rend -1, are faster, and have 10 bravery.

Edit:  Also, if they have a drummer, they can also march instead of running, which doubles the movement.  A guaranteed large run is solid in AoS.

Good writeup:)

The only thing I would differ with you on is the effectiveness of the Eternal Starthost.I ran that as my main battalion last year into early this year and,yes at times it smashes face,,though the main issue with it is its lack of mobility which in the long run cost me games.

As for what im planning to run,im thinking of making my core army a Shadowstrike host as that is what I had mixed in with my Eternal host,,though I ran it mainly for the Rippers of which I run 6 and they never failed to rip someones face off on the drop.This time Ill be using 2 x 40 skinks to fulfill the skink requirement then probably adding in a Bastilidon,my Dread Saurian,,always a fun distraction and down 20 pts to boot now!.Ive yet to figure out the last 20-25% though,,,thinking of doing a Cold once Scar vet and  Knights to complete my Battleline min.

I wanna post my first list of seraphon 2017! Its in lustria online too. 

Old blood carno 280
-general
-mighty war leader (cast his command ability + inspiring presence)
- blade of realities (-1 rend for my massive jaws , it says melee weapons)

Scar vet on carno 240
- Coronal shield 

Slann 260

Sunblood 120

2x10 saurus war 200
40 saurus war 360
4 salamanders 160
1 razodont 40
Sunclaw starhost 130

For summon : 1 astrolith bearer (160)
1 skins handlers (40)
Tot 1990

There are many combo in this list
I can teleport saurus and summon bearer , if I'm lucky I got +1 charge for slann

I can teleport sally and summon handlers and I can shoot big monster/big hero of enemy

Oboncarno can use command ability on scar vet carno and inspiring presence big unit of saurus

Razodont can help an unit of saurus to hold points

What do you think guys?

I tried two smaller games today with ghb17.

Lords of space and time is amazing. I used it on my Troglodon to attack a unit of 10 skryre Acolytes. That dino is one amazing harrasing unit, especially against light infantry + you can get in range to unbind stuff pretty easily too.

Teleporting my Sunblood was really tempting to, turning him into a crazy assassin. 

I also had a block of 30 Saurus backed up by a skink starpriest and a Sunblood. A few buffs from those and they were a togh nut and hit like a brick. 

As for command traits and artefacts

I love the Slann's. Saurus are nice too and if I ever ever run a skink warlord double tapping the celestial rites sounds good or nimble to stay alive :'D

The Coronal shield seems nice on a melee beatstick, combos well with the skink starpriest spell too.

We randomly rolled and I got Prism of Amyntok and the other game I got Incandescent Rectrices. Never got to use the latter though. The Prism is kinda nice once you get stuck in combat. I used it in conjunction with my skink starpriests arcane bolt to kill off a doomwheel in the hero phase. 

I really like the sunbloods command ability too btw. 

So many lists are exciting!  I've got lots more to buy and paint to try all the lists.

22 minutes ago, Centuryslayer said:

I really like the sunbloods command ability too btw. 

Yes this is a good one.  The unit of 40 with spears and an oldblood on carnosaur can be strong.

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

What do you think guys?

Your list is good.  I might add something fast like a skink or ripperdactyl or troglodon.

3 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Old blood carno 280
-general
-mighty war leader (cast his command ability + inspiring presence)
- blade of realities (-1 rend for my massive jaws , it says melee weapons)

Scar vet on carno 240
- Coronal shield 

Slann 260

Sunblood 120

2x10 saurus war 200
40 saurus war 360
4 salamanders 160
1 razodont 40
Sunclaw starhost 130

For summon : 1 astrolith bearer (160)
1 skins handlers (40)
Tot 1990

There are many combo in this list
I can teleport saurus and summon bearer , if I'm lucky I got +1 charge for slann

I can teleport sally and summon handlers and I can shoot big monster/big hero of enemy

Oboncarno can use command ability on scar vet carno and inspiring presence big unit of saurus

Razodont can help an unit of saurus to hold points

What do you think guys?

nice list, but one thing to correct: you cannot use an artefact to alter the melee weapons of your mount, only for your hero (except when specifically stated in the artefact), see page 117 in the mount paragraph :)

i was a tzeentch player and will still remain a tzeentch player as i built enlightened not skyfires :P however I am happy to say i am turning to order with the seraphon so much love and they deserve it tbh I think you only need kroak or a slann starseer thingy for the double lords of space and time and 40 skinks for 200pts yes please i shall be buying 120 of these for amazing battlelines :P however I hae been looking at sunclaw starhost and with ligtning chariot this could be interesting as it only costs 1330pts for 3 40 man saurus unts with 1 extra attack each as per their own ability and they are all rend minus one with the formation and with all the new missions it is important to have those 20+ units for holding and scoring on certain missions dont know what im going to do but I think this handbook we will see alot of well rounded lists and lots of amazing games :) just going to buy a few bits and bobs play around with my list and see what I like the saurus guards host 1+ sve thing is nice and granted it reeks of cheese but on those certain missions ou could be hindered etc they have done a good job with the ghb2017 just want to go buy now haha but birthday in 2 weeks so looking forward to a dino army :)  will post my first list soon :)

I am planning to do a full skink list, no saurus at all. This includes things like the troglodon, bastillidon and terradons. Any ideas for around 1000 points? I have a troglodon and skink starpriest already.

Glad to read that skinks and chameleon skinks are strong now? 

59 minutes ago, HumorlessMilk said:

I am planning to do a full skink list, no saurus at all. This includes things like the troglodon, bastillidon and terradons. Any ideas for around 1000 points? I have a troglodon and skink starpriest already.

Glad to read that skinks and chameleon skinks are strong now? 

Chameleons were always strong as you can summon them and set them up in the opponent's face.

This is what I think of for 1000 points of skinks:
Starpriest (80)
Troglodon (180)
Bastilidon (280)
Skinks x40 (200)
Skinks x 10 (60)

And 200 points left can get you whatever you like! Another hero (probably the regular priest) plus chameleon skinks or terradons.  Or, if you want, take a second troglodon.

The other option is to swap the bastilidon for a stegadon or swap it for more infantry or rippers or teradons.

1 hour ago, Pestilens said:

My actually list is: (semi competitive fo a 10 ppl campaign)

Slaan, eternity Warden, 3x 15 Saurus guard, 40 skins, 4 salamanders, 4 razordon, 3 skink handler, Sauris guard  battallion. 

What do u think??

I think it will work well unless you fight against mortal wounds.  The temple guard will come right off.
If you take great rememberer command trait on your slann you can teleport the salamanders and the handlers in the same turn and get a barrage off at 12 inches.

Just now, tolstedt said:

I think it will work well unless you fight against mortal wounds.  The temple guard will come right off.
If you take great rememberer command trait on your slann you can teleport the salamanders and the handlers in the same turn and get a barrage off at 12 inches.

The idea is to teleport salamanders and summon the handlers near them. It could works well

The lizard are back ?

My son has the following - start collecting box and some other bits and pieces. We will be getting GHB 2017 this week.

Old blood on carnosaur

2 x star priest

12 Sauria warriors

8 knights

12 skinks club and shield

12 skinks blowpipe and shield

Bastiladon

What would be a good addition? We are toying with the following ideas, but as he has limited budget what would you advise we get (rule of cool is as important as being effective)

Ripperdactyls

More skinks

Another start collecting box 

Slann or Kroak?

8 minutes ago, Pestilens said:

The idea is to teleport salamanders and summon the handlers near them. It could works well

That's good as well.  The summon handlers spell and the 2+ lords of time and space have the same percentage of success.
What command trait do you think you will take on your slann?

I also love that everything can fly with the slann's command ability.  

6 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

The lizard are back ?

My son has the following - start collecting box and some other bits and pieces. We will be getting GHB 2017 this week.

Old blood on carnosaur

2 x star priest

12 Sauria warriors

8 knights

12 skinks club and shield

12 skinks blowpipe and shield

Bastiladon

What would be a good addition? We are toying with the following ideas, but as he has limited budget what would you advise we get (rule of cool is as important as being effective)

Ripperdactyls

More skinks

Another start collecting box 

Slann or Kroak?

I would purchase a box of skinks and a slann for certain.
The rest is up to you.  Knights can be good, warriors can be good, monsters can be good.

If you want to run dracothian's tail you will need minimum 15 knights and a scar vet on cold one.  You could easily do this with a single box of knights.  This will give you 16 knights and you can convert one to a scar veteran.  Give him the a big shield and proper head.  This will let your son get a single drop army and be able to summon any of your units for free!

That would cost you about $90, give or take given your ebay-fu.  (25 for skinks, 25 for knights, and 40 for slann) and you'd have a competitive force.

Don't forget that you can channel a summoning spell through a skink to get extra range!

37 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

That's good as well.  The summon handlers spell and the 2+ lords of time and space have the same percentage of success.
What command trait do you think you will take on your slann?

I also love that everything can fly with the slann's command ability.  

I font know about traits, i think i will get the one that allow u to cast skink spells.

This is the core of what I'm thinking for my current list;

Bloodclaw Starthost - 200

Oldblood on Foot - 120

Sunblood - 120

Scar-Veteran on Cold One - 100

Scar Veteran on Carnosaur - 240

40 Saurus Warriors w/Spears - 360

40 Saurus Warriors w/Spears - 360

10 Saurus Warriors w/Hand Weapons - 100

1600 on the nose. Leaving 400pts to play with.

The obvious thing here is the ability to essentially put heavy pressure starting turn 1 by comboing the old blood's reform with the reroll ones for hitting and charging from the cold one vet and the extra hits from the scar vet on carnorsaur. So it's a 6" charge rerolling 1's with 40 saurus. The teleporting gives me lots of movement options. I thought I also saw a red FAQ update that said if you are removed from combat (i.e. teleport and not move) then you don't count as having withdrawn but this isn't based on that option.

I've essentially thought of several modifiers like adding a boat load of skink bodies via 2 hordes of them, lots of razordon/salamanders and a unit of 20-40 skinks, also the possibility of the slaan mage for support and the bonus teleport with ripper dactysl tickles me too, or just one big unit of ripperdactyls or 2 small units and 20 skinks. Essentially 400pts can add a lot of synergy or models to the army based on the core which I like but I'm looking for thoughts out there. 

-If you want 4 sakamanders(180 pts) put them in battlefield and summon handlers( you can tp sally and summon handlers near. I think olblood in foot Is not so good! A slan Is better . Scar vet on cold one is usless if you don't run firelance battalion ( at moment it's a  good Choice).

- instead of Sally and handlers you can play 2x5 chame skinks! They alweys a good choice and if you are lucky you slan can give reroll  of 1 ! It's really good on chame

- another good add is basti! He is safe choice really good with laser beam

i hope help your idea of seraphon:)

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

-Scar vet on cold one is usless if you don't run firelance battalion ( at moment it's a  good Choice).

I'm going to disagree with you here. Even without the battalion his command ability is pretty useful. All nearby Saurus reroll 1s to hit, plus Cold Ones get an extra attack? That's solid.

Archived