Modeling Question

Hulksmash

So I'm curious. I have a metric ton of Beastmen and I love the Blades of Khorne as an army. How would people react if I more khornified my Gor to be blood reavers? Converting the Khorgoraths models to match the gor by using Minotaur parts. Various centigor to be marauders and knights and so on?

Just trying to get a feel on here. I'm pretty sure it would fly locally but I'm planning on traveling with this army if I do it since it'll be my army for the year so I'm soliciting online opinions too :D

Personally im happy to see conversions as gw charge enough as it is. Your friends and local group should be fine, i'm aloud to use my BT as any of its options as I've paid cash for the box in the first place but a big tournament may well have an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Personally, as a heavy convertor, it's a great idea if you really put the work in. A good piece of advice though is to try and build models using both the kit that you want them to be and the kit that you want them to look like, so for example, Blood Reavers get Gor heads and weapons, and the Beastmen bodies get Bloodreaver heads and weapons.

As a conversion maniac and non professional sculptor, I can only fully support your idea.

I had a fair amount of experience with tournaments and even Golden Daemons and I can say that there should be no problems about your idea not even at official GW tournaments/events, until you keep your immagination close in some wy to the GW's worlds.

Actually "count as" armies are extremely appreciated, where "count as" is something totally diferent from "proxy": the latter is pure rabish acceptable for players at their first experience or for testing game styles before deciding the army. On the contrary the "count as" armies tell a story and are always welcome, and GW itself has shared several of them on the WD.

I am okay with pretty much any form of converting or "proxying" or "counts as" in my opponents's armies.  Why is that?  I'll tell you why.

Every model is a representation of something.  In the case of miniature wargaming, a model on the table is representing a collection of rules and fluff that is designed to interact within the rules and against other models in a certain way.  Within the hobby, the model's have a particular job that can drive the model owners and players towards certain goals or ideas.

In the case of GW (and other manufacturers) games, you have the official representations that you can use for your games, and you might be required to for certain events or against other players.  But in the grand scheme of things, each and every model is a "counts as", we just have access to the GW official "counts as" with Warhammer.  What you use for your models is entirely up to you and how you feel about the modelling aspect of the hobby.

I mean, I don't know how many games of 40K I played with my Assault on Black Reach Orks making up a Guardsmen Platoon or my Ogryns counting as Tau Crisis Suits.  It was fun, and it was just a way to get a feel for the army before making that investment.  I did eventually stop using "proxies" and use the official models, but that was more of a personal painting challenge to field a unified and cohesive looking force on the tabletop.

@Hulksmash, I recommend following your heart and enjoying it.  You have access to these other models, and have ideas in mind for converting them and making them all look cool - I'd say go for it.  So long as you are consistent in your rules and make sure that your opponents know what you are fielding and playing as, then you should be good to go.  At the very least, I'd play you :)

Archived