GH2017 - Greenskinz Discussion

GorbadIronClaw

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they're definitely more interesting to take a look at now.

The major thing I think that makes them worth looking as is the point increase Bonesplitterz got. Previously, at 100 points for 10 Orruks, or 100 points for 10 Savage Orruks, the fact Savage Orruks had 2 wounds made them a lot tougher. Now there's 30 points difference between the two units, and you get 40 Orruks for almost the same cost as 30 Savage Orruks. The savages have 20 more wounds, but the Orruks get better armour saves.

I think what's most likely to happen is that they'll fit into a mixed Orruk list when people want to make use of cheap Orruk objective holders (or grabbers) and the Greenskinz WAAAGH or Waaagh Banner. For example, they might supplement Ironjawz quite nicely in the allies section (Something like 20x Orruks, 1x Warboss or 2x Chariot, 5x Boar Boyz, 1x Warboss).

The other way around works decently as well. You could have a primarily Greenskinz based list with some punching power from the Ironjawz. The Ironjawz will get all the benefits from your banner and WAAGH ability to boot, so you don't lose synergy. Other options though are Rogue Idol, Troggoths and Gargants.

That being said, don't think a 10 point decrease on Orruks and a 20 point decrease on the Shaman is going to rock the world. While it's a large decrease on 40 Orruks, a lot of factions are in the same boat (getting massive hordes discounts). I don't think this is going to push Greenskinz as a faction into the spotlight, but might make them semi-competitive.

3 hours ago, someone2040 said:

That being said, don't think a 10 point decrease on Orruks and a 20 point decrease on the Shaman is going to rock the world. While it's a large decrease on 40 Orruks, a lot of factions are in the same boat (getting massive hordes discounts). I don't think this is going to push Greenskinz as a faction into the spotlight, but might make them semi-competitive.

I always tried to run Greenskin lists with some Grots in them. It worked - to an extent. Now they seem even playable, but a good Stormcast army will still crush you.

The 40 Orruks discount is actually a bit of a let down, because they would have needed it on 30. Two blobs of 30 with Waaaghbanner was always a good choice, just not for the old price. A massive discount on just 30 would have been amazing. Now one has to take two blobs of 40 which is a pain two play. Too many models... (okay, my argument is not so much about skills and value, just sayin').

16 minutes ago, Anaticula said:

I always tried to run Greenskin lists with some Grots in them. It worked - to an extent. Now they seem even playable, but a good Stormcast army will still crush you.

The 40 Orruks discount is actually a bit of a let down, because they would have needed it on 30. Two blobs of 30 with Waaaghbanner was always a good choice, just not for the old price. A massive discount on just 30 would have been amazing. Now one has to take two blobs of 40 which is a pain two play. Too many models... (okay, my argument is not so much about skills and value, just sayin').

Yeah, I find that at 40 you want to take Stikkas, but don't really want to use the other weapon options.

The other weapon options all do better around 20, 30 if you want to ensure you get the +1 attack bonus.

Still, every little bit counts.

What I've been waiting for! I'm stoked - I know they won't be strong, but at least they're bumped up a little bit. I plan on a 2000 point list with 2x40 Orruks, 2xWyverns flying around and a newly 400 pointed (though unfortunately and not relatively shittier warscroll, in my opinion) Rogue Idol ruining everything.

Because of Mob Rule and the new discount Orruk Boys have shot up in usefulness. Choppas add real bite and Waaagh Shields are reroll any saves in combat ( not just failed saves) which makes them surprisingly resilient in combat. The only real downside is in the logistics of having 40 strong units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've run one 40 strong in a 1500 tournament, supported by two units of boarboys. I can't recommend it enough, it was a lot of fun to trudge 40 of them down the battlefield and watch them take out units - though I don't know how unwieldy two of those units would be. I'll be getting those 5-model skirmish movement trays for sure.

I think a lot of interesting stuff can be done with Greenskinz and allies - depending on who they get. They've got great mob batteline and cavalry, with some good synergies with the warbosses and a disgustingly cheap monster leader.

I've been out of the hobby for the past little while, hoping that the new Handbook would reignite my interest... with the littlest bit of attention to Greenskinz, it looks like it has!

Looking forward to see how well the new Destro allegiance/artifacts/CAs work with them.

4 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Because of Mob Rule and the new discount Orruk Boys have shot up in usefulness. Choppas add real bite and Waaagh Shields are reroll any saves in combat ( not just failed saves) which makes them surprisingly resilient in combat. The only real downside is in the logistics of having 40 strong units.

Well get used to the Massive Regiments thing. The new horde meta is going to be crazy...units of 40 skellies, 60 zombies, 40-60 grots, 30 man strong Vulkites...lots of factions in the same boat now. Just need to come up with the best horde tactics 

Well get used to the Massive Regiments thing. The new horde meta is going to be crazy...units of 40 skellies, 60 zombies, 40-60 grots, 30 man strong Vulkites...lots of factions in the same boat now. Just need to come up with the best horde tactics 

Yep I think skirmish regiment base sales are going to take off.

5 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

I'm thinking 4 Rocklobbaz :P Slap them in a battery with 80 orruk boyz in front.

Warboss on Boar

Shaman on Boar

5 Boarboyz

5 Boarboyz

40 Orruk Boyz

40 Orruk Boyz

x4 Rocklobbaz

Rouge Idol

Chariot

1980/2000

Now that actually sounds really good

So what's the general consensus on Orruk Boyz - two choppas or shields? I'm leaning on shields as the two choppas only reroll ones while shields reroll all saves. Did the new GHB add ability to roll a save at 6+ even if rend would normally remove it altogether?

7 hours ago, tom_gore said:

So what's the general consensus on Orruk Boyz - two choppas or shields? I'm leaning on shields as the two choppas only reroll ones while shields reroll all saves. Did the new GHB add ability to roll a save at 6+ even if rend would normally remove it altogether?

I'm thinking it depends on what situation. I can say the double choppas are pretty killy, and synergize well with the warboss with banner. I'd personally go spears if you want to run them alongside a general using his Waaagh command ability, because that's exponentially more extra attacks. 

I gotcha, but my feeling is that choppa and shields are for boar boyz - They're there to block up stuff and objective sit rather than do damage. Use Spears and your general as your main blender and the 2xchoppas as the alternate damage output and distraction/fodder.

My thoughts, anyway, looking at it from a simple perspective. Overall I don't think you can go too wrong with any of the options.

It is amazing how many mono pose orcs I have gotten in trade deals over the years. I must have like 200+ random orruks in storage (The Grey Plastic Pile of Shame) just waiting to get out. The models are, from a painting perspective, not great and in terms of the game they have always been a bit lacklustre.

But 2x40 units of Orruks on the cheap might get me to paint them and give them a go. Thanks for the heads up on the points decrease!

A unit of 40 will be 320 points. If I would like to use them as allies first, could any one recommend something fun for 80 point to go along with it?

1448717712-0.jpg

About warpigs and dragon relatives!!! xD

Are the orc/orruk boar boys cheaper now? Have it changed on the min/max unit size?? Massive regiment discount?? 

And the Wyvern??? I have heard is cheaper now! Is this right?

They are two of my favourite options!!! How do you see them now? Sinergies? Effectivness with the new rules?

And what about Trolls/Troghots? I love the fellwaters, they are the better option from my point of view amongst them, always using blocks of 6 to hammer flanks.

I´m so happy seeing so many positive reactions on the change made on Greenskins, it seems that althoug not been Alpha, they are more powerfull and competitive now, or so it seems by the comments I have read, I´m whishing to prove them myself so I can give my two cents!

I´m eager to see next saturday what are they going to do with Gorbad, Azhag, Grimgor, Wurzzag and Skarsnik (I´m an old school orcish player as you can guess haha)

Edit: pics of the points list would be sweet :P anyone having those?

Archived