GH2017 - Greenskinz Discussion

GorbadIronClaw

My experience with Orruks w/ bows is that they're probably the best option for Greenskinz battle line tax - the unit you take when you don't want any more battle line units, but have to. They either a distraction or annoyance for the enemy, or you sneak them around to take objectives because they're barely a threat (I've had the latter be very effective for me).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, with GHB2017 not adding any allegiance abilities to Greenskinz, Moonclan, Gitmob or Spiderfang, do you think we will see one or more of their battletomes soon(ish)?

In my perfect world, GW would publish a "classic O&G" battletome containing allegiance abilities and battalions for all four, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

But let's continue the mind game on a hypothetical Greenskinz battletome. What new models would you see coming with it? I think warboss on wyvern would be an obvious choice, as would a new Orruks plastic kit containing weapon options for bows aswell. What else? The boar chariot is also quite old now and could use an upgrade to the new style of boars as seen on the boar boyz kit. Orruk Great Shaman is also old and could use a plastic kit.

Personally, I don't expect a Greenskinz tome in the foreseeable future. Out of those four you listed, I expect it last, if at all. And for a combination tome? Yeah, I'd expect that more than a full Greenskinz one, but only with "generic" O&G - Gitmobs, Troggoths and Gargants all rolled into one. Moonclan and Spiders will probably get their own unique one before then though.

But that's not going to stop me from making an amazing Green Tide! Had my first game with them (with the new GHB2017 rules/in a very long time) up against a death army. 1500 - I had Wyvern, 2x40 Orruks (2x choppas, spear and shield), Grot Shaman on Wolf, Grot Shaman on Foot, 2x Doom Divers and 10xBoars. Went up against Vamp lord on Zombie dragon, Manfred, 40 zombs (combined in turn one from two units), 20 skeletons, two morghasts. We played whatever the new, diagonal equivalent to Take and Hold is called. Knife in the heart or something?

I had trouble maneuvering my large blocks of infantry. Missed some key charges because of weird scenario deployment combined with weird table layout. Divers ham-stringed Manny first turn, keeping him away from combat. The Wyvern and the Vamp went head to head for what felt like the entire game, neither of them succumbing (though the vamplord did make quick work of the Orruks who did manage to charge him). Wyvern won out in the end, thanks to a continuous mystic shield combined with that sweet sweet boss shield - Rerolling 3 ups wins out against pretty much any dragon out there. When Manfred did make it to my side, the boars got in a charge... and died before even getting the chance to attack. So much for them. The other 40 Orruks held their own against the morghasts and skeletons, not winning or doing much damage but at least holding them up.

Ultimately it ended in a perfect tie, with no one securing the objective and both of us still having 980 points left on the field (though my Wyvern was left down to one wound...). I'm not sure what I would do differently, though. The warboss' command ability was very welcome, especially with the spear orruks (I think I had one round where I was doing 37 attacks?). The Wyvern more than pulls his weight, though. I can see two of these guys on the field being a freaking disaster for the opponent.

Came up with a horde type list. Not sure how effective it would be 

Allegiance: Destruction
Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- General
- Great Waaagh Banner 
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
30 x Orruks (270)
30 x Orruks (270)
30 x Orruks (270)
5 x Orruk Boarboys (100)
Total: 1990/2000

The 40/40/10 would give you a small points discount, 80 points spare. The block of 10 could be used to defensively guard your own objectives and the 80 points would get you an extra grot shaman.

Alternatively 20 gitmob grots are also 100 points and would give you 40/40 Orruks + 20 Grots. They aren't as good but for defensive purposes you are doubling the units wounds.

Another alternative is you go 40/20/20 and squeeze in a unit of Gore-Gruntas or another Orruk hero. Sucks that you'll lose the mob rule bonus by 1 casualty, but it might be acceptable for Arrer Boyz who don't necessarily want to be in combat anyway.

That being said, the fluffy person inside me doesn't really like the idea of a Megaboss being bossed around by an Orruk Warboss. So whenever I've made combo Greenskinz + Ironjawz lists I've generally leant more on the supporing Ironjawz heroes instead.

1 minute ago, someone2040 said:

Another alternative is you go 40/20/20 and squeeze in a unit of Gore-Gruntas or another Orruk hero.

That being said, the fluffy person inside me doesn't really like the idea of a Megaboss being bossed around by an Orruk Warboss. So whenever I've made combo Greenskinz + Ironjawz lists I've generally leant more on the supporing Ironjawz heroes instead.

Yeah I can see that. It makes sense. Im going to redo the list a bit 

Just as an example, a quick list I threw together which might be interesting to run:

Orruk Warboss on Wyvern - General

Orruk Warboss with Great Waagh Banner

Orruk Great Shaman

Orruk Warchanter

40x Orruks - Stikkas

20x Orruks - Arrers

20x Orruks - Arrers

1x10 or 2x5 Orruk Boar Boyz

Finally fill out the rest of the list with:

A) 1xOrruk Boar Chariot or 10x Orruk Boyz and 30x Orruk Ardboyz

B) 15x Orruk Brutes (In whatever configuration you like for these)

The Ardboyz give you another massive unit with a whopping 60 wounds that can be buffed by the Warchanter. Alternatively, the Brutes can go into whatever configuration you like, so may be more flexible. Perhaps a 10 and a 5 would be useful.

Note whenever I throw lists together I tend to throw them on the basis of models I already have, or have easy access to. Which is why I tend to stay away from the Rogue Idol as it wouldn't be easy for me to buy one.

• 11 months later...

Does anyone field brutes with their greenskinz army. Don’t seem to have any hard hitting units but battle line are decent and so are heroes. Thinking of a small 1000 points list I could have fun with. 20x orruks with double choppas 160

orruk Warboss with banner and general 140

orruk Warboss with choppa and shield

orruk boarboyz 100

Warchanter 80

brutes 180

ardboyz 160

thoughts, love both models and with orruk generals banner they should match up well

4 hours ago, Jake Edwards said:

Does anyone field brutes with their greenskinz army. Don’t seem to have any hard hitting units but battle line are decent and so are heroes. Thinking of a small 1000 points list I could have fun with. 20x orruks with double choppas 160

orruk Warboss with banner and general 140

orruk Warboss with choppa and shield

orruk boarboyz 100

Warchanter 80

brutes 180

ardboyz 160

thoughts, love both models and with orruk generals banner they should match up well

So I'm assuming here we are talking about a GA:Destruction variation rather than a Greenskinz. Which is how, tbh, I think they should be run. My question in these sort of cases would always be "Why Greenskinz?" 

While this may seem like a pretty simple question it's actually a lot more Important than it seems. If you can't give yourself a good answer to that then there is probably something you need to question. In this case I would ask why you aren't just using an Ironjawz list like this.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- General

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 140 / 200
Wounds: 97

It seems as though that would do basically what you're trying to do but better. I'm not going to argue that this isn't a douchebag question to ask, it is, but it's also a very important one. Yes the Bannerboss and Brutes do pair well, it's why Ironjawz will often ally them into their armies.

Archived