GH2017 - Greenskinz Discussion

GorbadIronClaw

Calm down buddy.

It's not so much that Greenskinz got better, mainly the rest of the field got worse.

The only buffs they really got was Orruks and the Great Shaman went down in points as well as Orruks and Boar Boyz got massive regiments discounts. No great meta changing experiences there.

As for the exact points, well, everything will be out in a few days. So if you can't wait, you'll need to find them yourself (not hard), or just wait a few days and they'll all be available.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AgeofsigmarEU said:

A unit of 40 will be 320 points. If I would like to use them as allies first, could any one recommend something fun for 80 point to go along with it?

If it's still the same value, a boar chariot fits perfectly to round it out to 400pts.

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to GH2017 - Greenskinz Discussion

Dat Bonegrinder Gartant...

So with all the FAQs out I have a question...are all then compendium battalions dead? Since all the old stuff has substitutes im wondering if the say, Greenskinz Big Mob requirements can be substituted. The Orc Warboss is now using the Orruk Warboss warscroll...so many questions...

14 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Yeah..sucks to be everyone except Bonesplitters and Ironjawz

Hey, Ironjawz lost the profile for Grimgor Ironhide.  Now we just have to use the model as a Warboss or Brute Boss.  And some of us got him off of eBay just recently, but never got a chance to play him on the field.  No more Ardboy character for us!

2 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

Hey, Ironjawz lost the profile for Grimgor Ironhide.  Now we just have to use the model as a Warboss or Brute Boss.  And some of us got him off of eBay just recently, but never got a chance to play him on the field.  No more Ardboy character for us!

Yeah the removal of Grimgor and the Black Orc Big Boss is a bummer. As the points are at the moment, there's no reason to field a Warboss on foot.

On 8/26/2017 at 0:29 PM, tom_gore said:

Yeah the removal of Grimgor and the Black Orc Big Boss is a bummer. As the points are at the moment, there's no reason to field a Warboss on foot.

Except for the Waaagh banner boss. That one is almost appropriately pointed. However equipped with sword and board or a great weapon, the warboss should be 100pts. 

I spent this weekend assembling 80 orruks. Forty spears and shields, 40 two-timers. Now working on converting some big stabbas for my Greenskinz aesthetic - jousters on boars, with huge freaking spikey jousts.

For two grand, I'm thinking:

Warboss on Wyvern

Warboss with Waaagh banner - General

Gitmob Grot Shaman

40x Orruks w/ Spears and shields

40x Orruks w/ 2x choppas

5x Boar boyz w/ choppas

5x Boar boyz w/ choppas

Rogue Idol

4x Big Stabbaz

2x Grot Wolf Chariots

This comes in at 1980. I'm looking forward to trying it out - I know the nature of Greenskinz is to not frequently win, but I think this will be pleasantly surprising - the waboss synergies could make any of those units devastating, the Rogue Idol has the Orruks at a potential 11 bravery in combat, it'll take a while to slog those guys off an objective, the Stabbas add some flair and rendy damage so all those eggs aren't in the Idol basket - both of which make up for the lack of mortal wounds, and the shaman is there to be a shield ******.

No range, but who needs range when you got Orruks?

I also have a duo wyvern list, but I don't have that model and can't quite justify buying another just yet.

2 hours ago, Furious said:

Except for the Waaagh banner boss. That one is almost appropriately pointed. However equipped with sword and board or a great weapon, the warboss should be 100pts. 

Rules-wise, there's nothing stopping you from running a warboss on boar with the banner. There's no model for such, of course.

1 hour ago, tom_gore said:

Rules-wise, there's nothing stopping you from running a warboss on boar with the banner. There's no model for such, of course.

Oh my mistake - I thought you mean the warscroll regardless of boar as "on foot" over the Wyvern warboss, and were commenting on its efficiency at 140 points. Yeah that's the case for pretty much every on foot hero that has a mount option!

3 minutes ago, Furious said:

Oh my mistake - I thought you mean the warscroll regardless of boar as "on foot" over the Wyvern warboss, and were commenting on its efficiency at 140 points. Yeah that's the case for pretty much every on foot hero that has a mount option!

Yeah. Which I've always found weird, but that's how it is.

8 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Im trying to come up with a fun horde style greenskinz list

So after getting completely rekt by a clan pestilence army who got the double turn charge on me I've been thinking about ways to try and get round it. One thought which has occured is a block of 60 Gitmob grots, at 270 points you get 60 wounds with 5+ saves to stand in front of your important units and soak any ugly charges that come your way. They can also cover a huge area as a screen forcing multiple enemy units to charge them.

As an Ironjawz the idea would then be to have the brutes with Jagged Gore Hackers (2" range) behind so that I can "pile in" behind the screen and attack with no potential for retaliation. 

The same idea seems like it would absolutely shine with greenskinz since you lose way less from having spears+shield instead of choppas. That would also leave you with 130 points to spend on other fun ally toys and put grots to the one use a true Orruk has for them, eating fire so the Orruks can get to choppin.

3 hours ago, Malakree said:

So after getting completely rekt by a clan pestilence army who got the double turn charge on me I've been thinking about ways to try and get round it. One thought which has occured is a block of 60 Gitmob grots, at 270 points you get 60 wounds with 5+ saves to stand in front of your important units and soak any ugly charges that come your way. They can also cover a huge area as a screen forcing multiple enemy units to charge them.

As an Ironjawz the idea would then be to have the brutes with Jagged Gore Hackers (2" range) behind so that I can "pile in" behind the screen and attack with no potential for retaliation. 

The same idea seems like it would absolutely shine with greenskinz since you lose way less from having spears+shield instead of choppas. That would also leave you with 130 points to spend on other fun ally toys and put grots to the one use a true Orruk has for them, eating fire so the Orruks can get to choppin.

I was thinking something simular. 2 units of 40 Orruks, one unit of 10 brutes. Then fill in with other stuff like a banner Warboss and such

I was actually suggesting using the 60 Gitmob Grot unit to screen for your unit of 40 Spear Orruks. That's an incredibly formidable block with 2 battleline for only 590 points. The Grots ensure that your Orruks can never be charged, stopping things like screaming hordes of plague bearers from eating you, but at the same time allow the Orruks to pile in on anyone who charges the grots. You give your more important Orruks 60 5+ buffer wounds before they can be attacked. Plus both units are capable of seizing any objective just due to their huge size.

Another actually very viable option would be to take the Grots with Grot Bows, you go from a 5+ to a 6+ which isn't actually that painful since they are just there to stop your opponent from charging your Orruks, you also then get 60 16" 3+/5+/-/1 shots from the unit in the shooting phase. Throw in a Gitmob Grot Shaman at 80 points to cast Sneaky Stabbin on them and for a casual 350 points suddenly you have a Massive health buffer, Extra Wizard, and 60 shots at 3+/4+/-1/1 which is just the most disgusting stat line ever. 

If your opponent then charges them your Orruks get the counter pile in with their spears for a potential 81 attacks.

I have always had trouble keeping the screening formation, and still having the unit behind being able to pile in and attack - especially when you're dealing with 100 models there. It's unwieldy - too difficult to use, so I tend to avoid it and smash face front-and-centre.

I do like the bow grots though. Can't argue with those numbers.

preview_e7417077-ff5b-4fdf-a05d-e3d774d3

The way you would deal with it is to form up a water balloon with the grot unit.

Have the middle be 1/2 models thick at most spread along the distance. Then you have the majority of the unit bulging out and round the ends of the orruk unit. You then just take models from the bulges to ensure you keep unit coherency and the screen stays in place. This would also allow you to use skirmish blocks for the grots in the bulges because they don't actually block any Orruks.

Picture for an example, and it's just a funny picture.

for pure greenskin i think i would start from this:

2 Wyvern

1 shaman

40 orruck

20 boarboys

1 chariot

that's 1360 pts of fairly priced units.

probably add the waaagh banner for 140, but not sure.

then you could customize with 400 pts of allies (Warmachine or troggoth seem nice to  get some high rend)

i think i like the 4 rock lobber option. You rush with arcane shielded boar to pin the opponent and shoot with the lobber.

anyway, it would not be tier 1, but decent enough i guess.

Has anyone tried 20-strong boarboys? I find that two units of five are much more helpful than a unit of 10 - they tend to not put out much damage compared to foot orruks. They don't get a size bonus, either, other than a cost reduction.

39 minutes ago, Furious said:

Has anyone tried 20-strong boarboys? I find that two units of five are much more helpful than a unit of 10 - they tend to not put out much damage compared to foot orruks. They don't get a size bonus, either, other than a cost reduction.

it depend how you want to use them. The advantage of the max size unit is of course the cost discount, but also that mean they become a good target for arcane shield (or any power that target a unit). It's also better in combat phase since they will attack all at once.

5 charging board do actully a bit more damage than 10 foot orruck with Waaagh (but a bit less rend)

Also i forgot but Rogue Idol seem pretty much a stapple also

Also orruk with bow might now be not that bad, at 8 pts a piece. 

Archived