GH2017 - Beastclaw Raiders Review & Discussion

Soup Dragon

5 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The rule actually appears to be functionally the same

The same as what sorry? Think you've lost me with what you said in the post.

Just for clarity...

Rule:

• Halve damage characteristic (rounding up) of weapons that target Stonehorn.
  • Halve the number of mortal wounds suffered from a spell or ability.

Example:

The damage characteristic is the one on the table to the right of rend, so (using previous example) Bloodletters damage characteristic is halved to 0.5 and then rounded up to 1 (so no change).

The ability Decapitating Blow triggers on a 6+ to deal mortal wounds, the total of which is then halved.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So. 

I think the cheap go to battleline is Skal with 3 units of cats. I posted the following in a different post, but it may help others with choices of battleline and allies. 

This has been the list I've been play testing since the leaks began. About two weeks or so, took it to an event this weekend and had some great results, even against the teleporting shenanigans of seraphon with a kroaknado (kroak on balewind). I think stonehorns are fine, but beastclaw allegiance is a must (imo) I've having some good success and plan to pilot this list for at least another 10 games before I'm ready to change parts out.   I've found having the bodies for objectives because of the obsec rules now is crucial. 

BCR Frostlord on Stonehorn - Pelt of Charngar

Huskard on Thundertusk - Blood V.
Icebrow Hunters - General, Everwinter’s Master, Elixir of Frostwyrm
Butcher

2x Frost Sabres
2x Frost Sabres
2x Frost Sabres
2x Frost Sabres

20x Grots (gnoblars)
20x Grots (gnoblars)

Skal

I'm pretty interested in a brief tournament report with your thoughts after the changes, @Soup Dragon, if you ran BCR at Blackout and have the time and energy to! Your sweet list you posted about a few months ago with the 4 stonehorns was the deciding factor for me to pick up BCR as my very first army, though I'm playing with different dudes.

In my games so far, 2 butcher allies have been really good with a bunch of mournfang.

OK @heywoah_twitch. Very brief report. I took 2 x Frostlords on Stonehorns (1 was my General with Everwinter's Master, other had Tokens of the Everwinter), 2 x Stonehorn Beastriders, 1 x 2 Mournfang, 2 x Frost Sabres, 1 x Hunter 1980 points

Friday night played Nico's Tzeench list with Kairos and a variety of stuff. I ran forward and failed a 7" and 2 x 6" Inch charges - with rerolls O.o. This did not help. He didn't have much stuff that did 1 damage, and mortal wounds from spells still halved, so didn't feel too hampered by new FAQ. In the end came down to needing a 10" charge to get the last objective, even with the reroll it was a long shot, so lost 20:21 on battle for the pass.

Saturday morning game 1 Tzeench again, but with 12 Skyfires and 6 Tzangor on discs. I deployed cagily in my corner hoping to draw him into committing his skyfires onto objectives and then I could counter-charge. It was very tough and even though I stayed in it in regards to points until end of third round, he whittled me down, and was faster than me.   The mournfang failed a 3" charge that would have pinned the skyfires and he ran away with it from there and tabled me by the end. This was the 4 objectives and the wiggly deployment

game 2, next to bottom table - Beastclaw off. Me against Braggoths Beasthammer list. I have to say straight away how amazingly better mournfang and gore gruntas are with +1 to hit. They actually do some damage! The scenario was duality of death. Both deployed cagily. He gave me first turn. I dropped hunter onto one objective and kept everything back. He then dropped his Skal onto the other objective and charged my hunter with some mournfang and gore gruntas. He had 3 scoring units (Hunter, Butcher, and Frostlord) I had 5 (monsters score). He left a gap for me to charge the hunter and the frostlord in turn 2 and take them both off. The remainder of game was mopping up rest of his units.

Game 3 was Sylvaneth in battle for the pass. He took first turn and then failed all his abilities and spells to put any woods down. I failed to get the 3" move from Everwinter, but ran forward anyway and was left with 3 x 9" charges, all re-rollable, and I promptly failed them all. Is this bit sounding familiar yet? This left me sat in front of a unit of 6 scythes and a tree man ancient (uh oh). I didn't get the double turn, so he charged me, but a combination of poor target allocation, poor rolling, and halving wounds allowed my Stonehorns to survive. When they fought back they did the job and he went down. The hunter dropped onto a middle objective, the mournfang were on the other, the dogs held my rear objective, 2 Stonehorns ran onto his rear objective and essentially it was all over.

Sunday morning. Game 4. Syvaneth again. The 6 objective scenario. He had gnarlroot and some other formation and Allarielle. He took first turn and this time Sherwood forest appeared all across the middle of the table. My movement was drastically restricted by them. By the end of his turn 1 there were 12 bases of citadel forests on the board. Even so by turn 3 I was still holding 2 of my objectives and had burned 2 of his - but 3 of monsters were down to 3 or 4 wounds remaining, and uninjured one was stuck at wrong end of table. Hunter and mournfang were dead, It was close to the end, but he won 13:15 on points.

Final game 5. Comet scenario. Mixed Chaos list. 6 skyfires with shaman, 2 x 30 bloodletters + 10 bloodletters with small murderhost and characters and 2 warp lightning cannons. Yeuch. We both calculated charge distances and spent 20 minutes measuring and setting up units at optimum distances - he deployed back from 12" line I deployed 0.001" behind 12" line. He gave me first turn. I moved back slightly. He stayed put. Turn 2 centre-line comet came down. He won priority and ran 10 bloodletters onto it and positioned skyfires to threaten countercharge. I charged bloodletters off objective with a stonehorn and a frostlord and moved other monsters forward towards one block of bloodletters. I was playing for double turn, but he got next priority. The 2 comets came down at opposite end of table from first one. He then mysteriously moved the threatening skyfires away from the centreline objective and towards the one in his half. A real let off for me - if he'd shot and charged the monsters I would have been in real trouble. He then moved the first big block of bloodletters forward and fortunately for me failed his 8" charge. I double charged him in my turn and took off the block. However there were 5 bloodletters left after the first stonehorn attacked and they did 6 wounds to the other stonehorn before it attacked. He then seemed intent on killing my monsters. I concentrated on the objectives and even though he took all 4 monsters off by the end I won 22:12 on scenario.

So Conclusions from the weekend:
1. Damage 1 attacks are HORRIBLE. Especially with rend, they shred Stonehorns. They need to be charged with multiple units and deleted ASAP. They are a Stonehorns worst enemy.
2. Tokens of the Everwinter are amazing. For one round of combat the Frostlord is back to having Battle Brew! Choosing when to eat them is going to be an art.
3. Similar to 2. having a 1980 point army I got to roll on triumph table every game. Rerolls are the king. Especially reroll hits when you hit on a 4+, it makes such a difference
4. In the 6 objective scenario, don't just burn your opponents objectives as soon as you get to them - If I'd held one for a couple of turns before burning it, I might have had a win.
5. The Hunter is amazing - he killed almost nothing all weekend, but was a key piece in all the wins. Being able to drop whenever you choose is such a powerful ability in objective based scenarios.
6. Somehow I need to squeeze in more objective holders, but really don't want to drop a Stonehorn to fit them in. I guess I'll have to, and then see how it goes. I'm currently a bit wedded to my 'minimum number of models' mentality and it's hard to go back to big units :)
7. BCR are still immense fun to play and can still smash face

Sorry it turned out to be not so brief

10 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

I don't see the FAQ/Errata regarding the Stonehorns on GW's website.  The link posted above is broken. Can someone confirm?   Thanks.

I read the Errata, don't remember where but it was the most recent one, it included mortal wounds being halved rounding up. Will find it on the GW site after I finish tw campaign.

23 hours ago, Soup Dragon said:

OK @heywoah_twitch. Very brief report. I took 2 x Frostlords on Stonehorns (1 was my General with Everwinter's Master, other had Tokens of the Everwinter), 2 x Stonehorn Beastriders, 1 x 2 Mournfang, 2 x Frost Sabres, 1 x Hunter 1980 points

Friday night played Nico's Tzeench list with Kairos and a variety of stuff. I ran forward and failed a 7" and 2 x 6" Inch charges - with rerolls O.o. This did not help. He didn't have much stuff that did 1 damage, and mortal wounds from spells still halved, so didn't feel too hampered by new FAQ. In the end came down to needing a 10" charge to get the last objective, even with the reroll it was a long shot, so lost 20:21 on battle for the pass.

Saturday morning game 1 Tzeench again, but with 12 Skyfires and 6 Tzangor on discs. I deployed cagily in my corner hoping to draw him into committing his skyfires onto objectives and then I could counter-charge. It was very tough and even though I stayed in it in regards to points until end of third round, he whittled me down, and was faster than me.   The mournfang failed a 3" charge that would have pinned the skyfires and he ran away with it from there and tabled me by the end. This was the 4 objectives and the wiggly deployment

game 2, next to bottom table - Beastclaw off. Me against Braggoths Beasthammer list. I have to say straight away how amazingly better mournfang and gore gruntas are with +1 to hit. They actually do some damage! The scenario was duality of death. Both deployed cagily. He gave me first turn. I dropped hunter onto one objective and kept everything back. He then dropped his Skal onto the other objective and charged my hunter with some mournfang and gore gruntas. He had 3 scoring units (Hunter, Butcher, and Frostlord) I had 5 (monsters score). He left a gap for me to charge the hunter and the frostlord in turn 2 and take them both off. The remainder of game was mopping up rest of his units.

Game 3 was Sylvaneth in battle for the pass. He took first turn and then failed all his abilities and spells to put any woods down. I failed to get the 3" move from Everwinter, but ran forward anyway and was left with 3 x 9" charges, all re-rollable, and I promptly failed them all. Is this bit sounding familiar yet? This left me sat in front of a unit of 6 scythes and a tree man ancient (uh oh). I didn't get the double turn, so he charged me, but a combination of poor target allocation, poor rolling, and halving wounds allowed my Stonehorns to survive. When they fought back they did the job and he went down. The hunter dropped onto a middle objective, the mournfang were on the other, the dogs held my rear objective, 2 Stonehorns ran onto his rear objective and essentially it was all over.

Sunday morning. Game 4. Syvaneth again. The 6 objective scenario. He had gnarlroot and some other formation and Allarielle. He took first turn and this time Sherwood forest appeared all across the middle of the table. My movement was drastically restricted by them. By the end of his turn 1 there were 12 bases of citadel forests on the board. Even so by turn 3 I was still holding 2 of my objectives and had burned 2 of his - but 3 of monsters were down to 3 or 4 wounds remaining, and uninjured one was stuck at wrong end of table. Hunter and mournfang were dead, It was close to the end, but he won 13:15 on points.

Final game 5. Comet scenario. Mixed Chaos list. 6 skyfires with shaman, 2 x 30 bloodletters + 10 bloodletters with small murderhost and characters and 2 warp lightning cannons. Yeuch. We both calculated charge distances and spent 20 minutes measuring and setting up units at optimum distances - he deployed back from 12" line I deployed 0.001" behind 12" line. He gave me first turn. I moved back slightly. He stayed put. Turn 2 centre-line comet came down. He won priority and ran 10 bloodletters onto it and positioned skyfires to threaten countercharge. I charged bloodletters off objective with a stonehorn and a frostlord and moved other monsters forward towards one block of bloodletters. I was playing for double turn, but he got next priority. The 2 comets came down at opposite end of table from first one. He then mysteriously moved the threatening skyfires away from the centreline objective and towards the one in his half. A real let off for me - if he'd shot and charged the monsters I would have been in real trouble. He then moved the first big block of bloodletters forward and fortunately for me failed his 8" charge. I double charged him in my turn and took off the block. However there were 5 bloodletters left after the first stonehorn attacked and they did 6 wounds to the other stonehorn before it attacked. He then seemed intent on killing my monsters. I concentrated on the objectives and even though he took all 4 monsters off by the end I won 22:12 on scenario.

So Conclusions from the weekend:
1. Damage 1 attacks are HORRIBLE. Especially with rend, they shred Stonehorns. They need to be charged with multiple units and deleted ASAP. They are a Stonehorns worst enemy.
2. Tokens of the Everwinter are amazing. For one round of combat the Frostlord is back to having Battle Brew! Choosing when to eat them is going to be an art.
3. Similar to 2. having a 1980 point army I got to roll on triumph table every game. Rerolls are the king. Especially reroll hits when you hit on a 4+, it makes such a difference
4. In the 6 objective scenario, don't just burn your opponents objectives as soon as you get to them - If I'd held one for a couple of turns before burning it, I might have had a win.
5. The Hunter is amazing - he killed almost nothing all weekend, but was a key piece in all the wins. Being able to drop whenever you choose is such a powerful ability in objective based scenarios.
6. Somehow I need to squeeze in more objective holders, but really don't want to drop a Stonehorn to fit them in. I guess I'll have to, and then see how it goes. I'm currently a bit wedded to my 'minimum number of models' mentality and it's hard to go back to big units :)
7. BCR are still immense fun to play and can still smash face

Sorry it turned out to be not so brief

I think tokens of the everwinter Are only for rider and not for mount because they Are magical artifacts! Sadly new rules for bcr lists:(

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

I think tokens of the everwinter Are only for rider and not for mount because they Are magical artifacts! Sadly new rules for bcr lists:(

The attack portion are just for the rider, yes, but don't undervalue those saves. Eating yours on an opponent's turn will sometimes spook them off of engaging you, even.

I played today Beastclaw against Free Peoples, I ran Braggoth Beast Hammer and Skal with Butcher. I haven`t found much writeups about Braggoth Beast Hammer, so I made a battle report: https://www.the-stronghold.com/index.php?/blogs/entry/239-braggoths-beast-hammer-in-action-battle-report/&_fromLogout=1

Some ideas as a summary:

After that one game Frostlord on Stonehorn does not seem that great: if he gets his attack and buffs (to hit from the Butcher), he`s better, but without buffs... well, 3 wounds to Grail Knights is not really anything you expect from 25% of your whole army. Against bad saves he can do a lot of wounds due to damage 3, but high saves really bring damage down. Mounts` 4+ to hit means he rarely hits anything. Tokens of Everwinter really helps to keep the damage higher (but this does not help the mount) and keeps him alive. I still cannot decide between this and Pelt of Charngar. After his damage halving nerf Mystic Shield is almost a must!

Mournfangs` +1 to hit from battalion REALLY helps, they finally do some damage. However, it is hard to keep them close to Gore Gruntas - the latter don`t get Everwinter move bonus, they cannot get Command Ability bonus to charge from Frostlord (if he is your general), and Mournfang have charge bonus from banner bearer. I got lucky, but they were lagging behind Mournfangs. And immediately after Gore Gruntas died, they were back to usual 0 damage level. Groups of 4 work much much better: you lose ranged attack, but damage output is more constant.

And battalion ability to pile in and attack once per battle can be VERY powerful. 

Otherwise solid battalion, but - as expected - low model count make it hard to contest for objectives and it is hard to fulfill all there requirements required to get batallion bonus - compared to other battalions that just get the bonus automatically. But IF you get the bonus: Mournfangs can be very terrifying, Gore Gruntas less due to their damage characteristic 1 and no rend from Gore Gruntas.

14 minutes ago, Kessler said:

I played today Beastclaw against Free Peoples, I ran Braggoth Beast Hammer and Skal with Butcher. I haven`t found much writeups about Braggoth Beast Hammer, so I made a battle report: https://www.the-stronghold.com/index.php?/blogs/entry/239-braggoths-beast-hammer-in-action-battle-report/&_fromLogout=1

Some ideas as a summary:

After that one game Frostlord on Stonehorn does not seem that great: if he gets his attack and buffs (to hit from the Butcher), he`s better, but without buffs... well, 3 wounds to Grail Knights is not really anything you expect from 25% of your whole army. Against bad saves he can do a lot of wounds due to damage 3, but high saves really bring damage down. Mounts` 4+ to hit means he rarely hits anything. Tokens of Everwinter really helps to keep the damage higher (but this does not help the mount) and keeps him alive. I still cannot decide between this and Pelt of Charngar. After his damage halving nerf Mystic Shield is almost a must!

Mournfangs` +1 to hit from battalion REALLY helps, they finally do some damage. However, it is hard to keep them close to Gore Gruntas - the latter don`t get Everwinter move bonus, they cannot get Command Ability bonus to charge from Frostlord (if he is your general), and Mournfang have charge bonus from banner bearer. I got lucky, but they were lagging behind Mournfangs. And immediately after Gore Gruntas died, they were back to usual 0 damage level. Groups of 4 work much much better: you lose ranged attack, but damage output is more constant.

And battalion ability to pile in and attack once per battle can be VERY powerful. 

Otherwise solid battalion, but - as expected - low model count make it hard to contest for objectives and it is hard to fulfill all there requirements required to get batallion bonus - compared to other battalions that just get the bonus automatically. But IF you get the bonus: Mournfangs can be very terrifying, Gore Gruntas less due to their damage characteristic 1 and no rend from Gore Gruntas.

Thanks for putting this up some real useful bits. Yea I never run Mournfang in less than groups of 4, otherwise they just don't have an impact.  My question for you is what was your impression of the Butcher?  I have seen people shoving him in a lot of lists and was wondering how he played out for you.  Was he worth it?

Well, I don't play that much, but I feel that after GHB2017 I think Butcher is pretty much auto include. First I thought to put in additional 2 mournfangs, but Butcher was better definitely. Maybe even 2 would be worth it. 

He has three uses: mystic shield for (Stonehorn) survivability, cauldron ability to give +1 to hit to Ogor models (therefore including Frostlords mount) and cauldron ability to heal wounds of ogor models. 

Only thing is that Butcher is very random: cauldron abilities are rolled and nothing may happen. And he can easily kill himself as well: I got 4 mortal wounds this time and that is usual. 

But even so in this game it was useful: I rolled two times +1 to hit for Ogors and failed my spell casting only once. 

I've tested 2 butchers these last two weeks and have come to absolutely love them. One of them is too random, two are awesome.

tldr: butchers enable a mournfang-heavy list

Upsides:

The healing your army can do with 2d3  from huskards plus 1 in 6 twice at 1d3 to a butcher plus 1 to each ogre in range -per turn- can be sick, if using a pelt it gets better.

Voracious Maw is a great attack spell and mystic shield is more important than ever. Two butchers gives better chances than ever at the gross eating ability you want (usually healing and/or the hit bonus, or doubles of either). My first game casting maw I did 11 wounds with it in one cast. This event was unlikely, but normal mileage is still good.

Mournfang attacking at 3+/3+ turns them into actual damage dealers and totally fixes their warscroll statwise, one of the main reasons to consider butcher allies (as otherwise mournfang are spikey but unreliable, and in my experience tend to get stuck in combat doing 1 successful hit per turn until death). Two models did 9 damage to a zombie dragon on the charge fully buffed!

They make great decoys that freely move+run every turn with no downside.

Downsides:

Not BCR units, and so can't be affected by huskard healing, frostlord's command ability, nor (most importantly) everwinter effects.

List wise, they behoove you to run more bodies and larger units to get more mileage out of their spells, which is kind of at odds with mournfang's natural state of preferring to be in units of 2 for maximum mobility and model options, and to reduce the potential of battleshock making hundreds of points run away when 1 or 2 die.

They are comically awful in melee combat, dealing on average 1 wound against a unit with 4+ saves.

The butcher with cauldron model looks derpy af.

--My butcher test list for reference:

1x Frostlord on stonehorn, everwinter's master, tokens of everwinter

2x Huskard on thundertusk, blood vultures

2x Butcher with cauldron

2x Mournfang with gargant hackers, horn blower, banner, skalg pistol

1980 pts

What this list wants is to run a huskard on stonehorn instead and then fit a 4th unit of mournfangs in, but alas, that's well over 2k.

As an ally comparison: A block of 12 Ogors (48 wounds) with iron fists, beastskull, banner, bellower, bull charging to reroll wounds, and lookout grot is actually good at 400pts (the last 3 cost 40pts, what a deal). If only you could also have those butchers.

From here I have three choices:

Drop a butcher, add a unit of mournfang to sit at 2k exacties (aka now I have enough guys to make use of buffs! oh, darn, were'd half the buffs go?)

Drop the stonehorn to fit in 8 mournfang and 2 butchers and be left with an awkward amount of points where I can't afford a behemoth nor any meaningful allies.

Drop the thundertusks because I like to lose. With the points saved I'll add 18 yetis.

12 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

I'll add 18 yetis.

I bought the everwinter assault box (2 behemoths, 4 mournfang, hunter, 4 sabertooths, 3 yetis) back when I was starting my 2nd army and have built and painted 1k pts of it now.

My favourite unit is the yeti unit. I feel like they are even better with the stonehorn now falling out of favour to thundertusks in the behemoth department.

My main problem is the models suck real bad. Real, real bad.

8 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

The 6" pile in is actually amazing,

My favourite bit for opponents is showing them it's pile in AND activation so you can RUN to within 6 inches and then activate with no chance of them hitting the yetis first. Though you do miss out on any charge bonuses in this way.

I am actually in dire need of better models for them. I cannot find anything acceptable yet. I've tried searching for:

Bears

Gorillas

Werewolves

Werebears

With the idea to paint any of those the same as my other yetis.

At this point I'm thinking if I learn to sculpt fur with greenstuff I might just do that if I can find the right 'base' model. Even regular Ogors on foot, covered in fur... Not sure.

42 minutes ago, Turragor said:

At this point I'm thinking if I learn to sculpt fur with greenstuff I might just do that if I can find the right 'base' model. Even regular Ogors on foot, covered in fur... Not sure.

My experience is that it is not *that* hard but it takes so much time... So I prefer to just buy models.

8 hours ago, Turragor said:

I'm currently looking at crypt horrors. I think they would look really good with some fur on. Maybe glue flock, varnish then prime?

Hopefully as good in practice as theory.

My current thoughts on a build are:

frostlord on stonehorn

huskard on thundertusk

butcher 

thundertusk beastriders

2 mournfang pack

2 mournfang pack

3 yetis

40 grots

8 hours ago, Turragor said:

My favourite bit for opponents is showing them it's pile in AND activation so you can RUN to within 6 inches and then activate with no chance of them hitting the yetis first. Though you do miss out on any charge bonuses in this way.

I am actually in dire need of better models for them. I cannot find anything acceptable yet. I've tried searching for:

Bears

Gorillas

Werewolves

Werebears

With the idea to paint any of those the same as my other yetis.

There are a lot of people who use the Forgeworld Skin Wolves, especially if you are using Fenrisian Wolves as Frost Sabres. The only issues are that they are a little big, coming on 60 rounds and the Forgeworld price.

99590201016_Skinwolves1.jpg

Hey @Soup Dragon,

Good review of your games. Was interesting to follow yours and @Donal's performances over the weekend. Glad to see that BCR are somewhat viable as a standalone allegiance now.

Apologies if I missed it, but what are your thoughts going forward from BLACKOUT? What changes would you make to your list now you have some GH2017 games under your belt?

I currently own a Stonehorn, a Thundertusk and 8 Mournfang so am considering a Beasthammer list at some point, bringing in some of my Gore-gruntas...is there any potential in it as anything other than a fun list do you think?

Building towards a Beasthammer list myself at the moment, if you extend past fielding the minimum units there seems to be very little points left to work with! Considering a couple of builds, all minimum units in the Beasthammer;

Hunter (general),  
2 x 2 Frost Sabres,
Frostlord on Thundertusk

Butcher
9 Ogors

Frostlord on Thundertusk (general)
3 Icefall Yhettees

What are other people's Beasthammers consisting of? I imagine Grots may be important for the bodies, but I just can't face those models / painting 40 - 60 of the things!

On 8/29/2017 at 5:41 AM, WSDdeloach said:

BCR Frostlord on Stonehorn - Pelt of Charngar

Icebrow Hunters - General, Everwinter’s Master, Elixir of Frostwyrm
Butcher

2x Frost Sabres
2x Frost Sabres
2x Frost Sabres
2x Frost Sabres

20x Grots (gnoblars)
20x Grots (gnoblars)

Skal

Seems to me like you have 540 points worth of Allies, making this list illegal. Apart from that, I think it is a very interesting list, and I would love to hear some thoughts on how it plays.

Archived