GH2017 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

bonzai

I don't know if you have noticed guys but we are leading The New Waaaagh! Gulgaz Gutstompa is Da Boss now:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/22/the-armies-of-firestorm-stoneklaws-gustompas-sep22gw-homepage-post-4/

On 9/21/2017 at 6:13 PM, Towenaar said:

Yeah it would be pretty insane if it gave +1 each monster, but it would be worded differently were that the case. Incarnate Elemental of Beasts is an interesting option, didn't realise Bonesplitterz wizards could summon them. I still think I'd prefer the Colossal Squiq for the scary damage output though, and if you miss the roll to summon its a big loss.

How does everyone play the Wardokks ritual dance ability? If for example I roll Grimdokk Dance at the start of my hero phase (heal D3 wounds) could I wait until the end of the hero phase to use the ability (in case my Wardokk or other Bonesplitterz unit hurts themselves during the phase)?

I think you play Wardokks abbility in the Hero phase.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/21/2017 at 6:13 PM, Towenaar said:

How does everyone play the Wardokks ritual dance ability? If for example I roll Grimdokk Dance at the start of my hero phase (heal D3 wounds) could I wait until the end of the hero phase to use the ability (in case my Wardokk or other Bonesplitterz unit hurts themselves during the phase)?

I would say that you should heal units immediately, as they do their ritual dance in "the start of their hero face" and therefore you cannot wait.  

On 9/22/2017 at 5:46 AM, bonzai said:

I sent FW an e-mail to see if it would be able to make a comeback like the idol. This is what I got in reply; 

"Hi there,
Thank you for your email. The Incarnate Element of Beasts does have a faithful following of people such as yourself, so you never know it may make a return to production. We will certainly pass on your request to bring it back to the relevant people."

So there is hope yet. Most of the time I get a reply saying that the molds are destroyed, so fingers crossed. If any of you want to add your voices to the petition.... ?

Fingers crossed! I'm sure that they plan to bring back some of the models that have been unavailable little by little. We just have to be patient...

Well i just ordered an aleguzzler gargant on ebay. 

I've so many weird little ideas with the Bonesplitterz now it could be amusing. Like if i play the Morrboyz battalion, i will immediately add two aleguzzlers. Simply because if either of them die, its +1 to hit for the rest of the game on the Morrboys. Heck i can even Squiggly Curse one of them if they are low for the +1 to cast and buffs on the Morrboys, and if its in combat, the potential topple onto the enemy too. If the enemy ignores the giants, that's still two giants storming their lines. 

In terms of fluff for it, it makes sense in a few different ways. Bonesplitterz havin da most kunnin after all. Maybes they are chasing the aleguzzlers across the land and they stumble across an enemy army. They just goad the giants into charging their lines and finish the job themselves after the battle. Could be a tribe of Bonesplitterz that have intigrated monsters and trolls into their army. The more the beasts fight and growing, the bigger their spirit and bones will be, great offerings to Gorkamorka. 

I think as a fluff and gaming perspective monsters and beasts can be interesting additions to a Bonesplitterz army, even with the fluff side saying they are great hunters. Plus its nice to have a big thing in the army, gives the enemy something else to worry and focus on ^^

1 hour ago, SolarBur said:

I think as a fluff and gaming perspective monsters and beasts can be interesting additions to a Bonesplitterz army, even with the fluff side saying they are great hunters. Plus its nice to have a big thing in the army, gives the enemy something else to worry and focus on ^^

I agree.  I have added a Colossal Squig to my Bonesplitterz.  I just throw him forward with abandon and let him smash stuff until he dies.  Fluff wise, the Bonesplitterz magic users keep small pet squigs, so I figure in a particularly big battle the Prophet might channel the Waaagh energy into one of his pets, making him grow to colossal size and set him loose.

3 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

I agree.  I have added a Colossal Squig to my Bonesplitterz.  I just throw him forward with abandon and let him smash stuff until he dies.  Fluff wise, the Bonesplitterz magic users keep small pet squigs, so I figure in a particularly big battle the Prophet might channel the Waaagh energy into one of his pets, making him grow to colossal size and set him loose.

That works too ;p

I would love to see a mangler squig being "guided" by some orruks. I like the squig idea too, even for the smaller cousins. Just a load of squigs being chased across the battlefield by a horde of bonesplitterz xD

Thinking on more beasties, if you can get the armour plates off of them you can do some gore grunta's as more heavy bonesplitter cavalry. a pair of orruks or depending how you model it maybes even three just gripping onto it and trying to steer it. Or if you go with just the two, go for them armed with a big stabba ;p

I might even attempt a boss/best hunta, either riding a wyvern or a mawcrusher as one of the prize beasts they have captured. 

With the new allies, many fluffy and tactical possibilities have been opened to us other than just arrow spam. feels good xD

I was wondering - do we really need the Kunnin Rukk if we play on Arrer Boyz?

30 Arrer Boyz in Kunnin Rukk do (theoretical) 180 shots for the cost of  280 pts = 120 pts (Big Boss) + 160 pts (Kunnin Rukk). It is theoretical as you have to be in range in hero phase(who ever shot with Kunnin Rukk in 1st Hero Phase anyway?). for 280 pts you get + 90 potential shots and only 6 wounds (on Boss).

If we skip the Rukk we can add another unit of Arrerz for just 80 pts more to have the same amount of shots The benefit we can target multiple units (better range spread thru the board) no theoretical shots in Hero Phase and + 54 Wounds! Another benefit is also 2 battlelines, we don't have to protect the boss. But any buffs will go only for one unit.

The benefit from battlion extra item goes usually to protect the Boss (Squirmy Warpaint, Glowing tatoos), so the item is no benefit in the end.

What do you think?

The main advantages I see from still taking the rukk

• Less drops, the current norm seems to be 8-11 so If you can get closer to 8 you are going to get turn choice
  • Target choice, it is easier to get 30 archers into effective range than it is 60
  • One unit to put Inspiring Presence on

If you get second turn ( you won the drop ) then you would be surprised how often you get turn 1 hero phase shooting...

On boss survival I do not do anything to make him more survivable, most people can't or don't target him. Those that do can kill him no matter what you do to try and save him. In my experience him dying is to long range high rend shooting rather than mortal wounds so there is not a magic item in the world that will save him. I have comtemplated dokk juice but I would much rather have a wurgog mask

And finally 80 points is nearly another unit of big stabbas and who does not love big stabbas.

@meet.the.doctor you are not wrong. In some places another blob of 60 wounds wandering about with bows will be devastating but on the whole I prefer the rukk

@meet.the.doctor you asked in another thread about monsters in a splitterz army. 
Thought I would put my comments here as it seemed more appropriate. Point one. I love the lore of the splitterz and their monster hunting background. I play up to it in all the games I play and have a mock sad face when my opponent does not have mosters, I even have a monster hunter hat I wear at tournaments...

After Facehammer this weekend I was left contemplating the possibility of a monster and my top two were the Troll Hag and the Orruk boss on Wyvern.

I played against @Sangfroid this weekend with his hag and it really does hang about and do damage. The shooting attacks are just insane. 16 wound regenning D6 a turn is very strong. I am very tempted if I can work out a narrative in my own head to justify it.
The wyvern has the massive advantage of mobility so for Duality of death he could be very useful, I do worry that he may die too easily, is it just me who sees a monster and thinks 'If nothing else happens this game then that monster is going to die?'
I have a Rogue Idol painted and sitting on a shelf and when I heard about allies and its point cost I have decided that I would use it. Then the rule change about half damage hit and I no longer think it is worth the points. He is too random. With the old half wound you could accept random, without I am not sure. And my narrative for him in splitterz army. He is a God not a monster, keywords be damned :)

I am still mulling it all over in my head and I may revisit the question for the Warchiefs 2 day tournament in November as the monster hunter trophy is in play again.

I like Doctor idea, but taking kunnin ruk actually save me from buying and painting 30 more arrowboys ;)

and also Kanamorf  argument are quite right. I would add that the extra move also worth it (better range), and i would probably take one big boss anyway.

Anybody tried the troggoth hag? she seem quite strong and have nice synergie with bonesplitterz i think. Her spell is very good.

27 minutes ago, Kanamorf said:

@meet.the.doctor you asked in another thread about monsters in a splitterz army. 
Thought I would put my comments here as it seemed more appropriate. Point one. I love the lore of the splitterz and their monster hunting background. I play up to it in all the games I play and have a mock sad face when my opponent does not have mosters, I even have a monster hunter hat I wear at tournaments...

After Facehammer this weekend I was left contemplating the possibility of a monster and my top two were the Troll Hag and the Orruk boss on Wyvern.

I played against @Sangfroid this weekend with his hag and it really does hang about and do damage. The shooting attacks are just insane. 16 wound regenning D6 a turn is very strong. I am very tempted if I can work out a narrative in my own head to justify it.
The wyvern has the massive advantage of mobility so for Duality of death he could be very useful, I do worry that he may die too easily, is it just me who sees a monster and thinks 'If nothing else happens this game then that monster is going to die?'
I have a Rogue Idol painted and sitting on a shelf and when I heard about allies and its point cost I have decided that I would use it. Then the rule change about half damage hit and I no longer think it is worth the points. He is too random. With the old half wound you could accept random, without I am not sure. And my narrative for him in splitterz army. He is a God not a monster, keywords be damned :)

I am still mulling it all over in my head and I may revisit the question for the Warchiefs 2 day tournament in November as the monster hunter trophy is in play again.

For me a monster is a great thing when you consider one battleline of Morboyz. I think I was mentioning it somewhere in this thread. The idea is, to have a kamikaze monster that will do some damage, but also after dying buff the Morboyz with permanent +1 to hit (and as I understand the rule every other monster would add another +1 to hit, but it was also discussed here denying my pov).

I have a Troll Hag and started playing it. It doesn't have much damage output but is a survivable distraction. Painting it is a great so I will play it some more but am not impressed so far. If I needed to save point I would go for Aleguzzler. If my interpretation of Power of Da Beast Spirit worked I would play 2 of those. But my monster waiting in line is the Collosal Squig. I think it can be the best kamikaze we could imagine. 4D6 move is better than 8". And always can be boosted +3" with Vortex.

Also one thing that is worth considering when playing monsters is Brutal Beast Spirits - from our spell lore - it doesn't need a Bonesplitterz keyword on target so work for allies making them more survivable.

@Kanamorf - I saw the Wurggog Mask in your list. I love it - I took one Zombie dragon. Almost as much as Foot of Gork from Weirdnob.
And I can understand the priority reason. I didn't realise that 8 drops is the current standard.

To tell the truth after the Bonesplitterz nerf (I don't care about the Rukk - I mean all other battalions and heroes) I moved to Narrative. And it is sooooo goood ;)

Has anyone tried a large unit of big stabbas that is buffed up and hand of gorked around? Something like this?

Allegiance: Bonespliterz

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (120)
- Granite Choppas 
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
- Bonesplitterz Battleline
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (120)

Units
8 x Savage Big Stabbas (400)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (160)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

I think it can work against melee army (ironjawz, khorne) where you can screen your BS with something you don't care (like your squad of 10 arrows), then you hand of gork and charge they should kill anything.

problem is shooting army. they will kill 2-3, then you risk lossing another 1-2 in battleshock (unless you inspire presence them) and they won't even do their d3 mortal...

if you play 4 x 2, you can't buff them, but shooters will have to split their missile first, which augment the risk of not killing the units and make them less vulnarable to battleshock. if you're lucky you can even heal a model with the wardock

52 minutes ago, broche said:

problem is shooting army. they will kill 2-3, then you risk lossing another 1-2 in battleshock (unless you inspire presence them) and they won't even do their d3 mortal...

if you play 4 x 2, you can't buff them, but shooters will have to split their missile first, which augment the risk of not killing the units and make them less vulnarable to battleshock. if you're lucky you can even heal a model with the wardock

Totally agree here.  I have run a big blob of Stabbas several times and when they get into stuff, man they are awesome.  However, they are vulnerable to shooting and slow (even with Hand they are not super quick). As you foot slog across the board with a big block of these guys they are huge targets and will draw fire if the opponent has shooting. Unfortunately, the shooting heavy meta we have right now is not the best for a big Stabba block.  

On 31.8.2017 at 1:43 PM, MilesTheHammer said:

This is my list after the new GHB2017 came out.

*DrakkFoot War Clan *

- Kop Rukk

- Wurrgog Prophet

-Squirmy Warpaint

-Big Wurrgog Mask

-WarDokk

-Ju-Ju Wotnotz

-WarDokk

-Mystic Waaagh! Paint

-WarDokk

-Maniak Weirdnob

-Savage Orruk Morboys (30)

-Savage Orruk Morboys (30)

-Savage Big Boss

-Savage Orruk Arrowboys (30)

total 2000 pts.

mix and match spells any way you like as you can get at least 5 off a turn most of the time 

Let me know what you think.

Have you played with it? 

I am going a little all over the place with armies, which is okay and my thing, but my Bonesplitterz are a focus for me. 

I'd run either this or a Green Idol in the list. 

If you've made any experiences with that list or for that matter anybody else, I'd be happy to know. :-)

On 02/10/2017 at 5:31 PM, Kanamorf said:

I have a Rogue Idol painted and sitting on a shelf and when I heard about allies and its point cost I have decided that I would use it. Then the rule change about half damage hit and I no longer think it is worth the points. He is too random. With the old half wound you could accept random, without I am not sure. And my narrative for him in splitterz army. He is a God not a monster, keywords be damned :).

Might have missed something here but why is the damage halving a disadvantage? Really keen to take the Rogue Idol just because it looks incredible and I feel it fits our fluff perfectly.

11 minutes ago, Pedro_L said:

Might have missed something here but why is the damage halving a disadvantage? Really keen to take the Rogue Idol just because it looks incredible and I feel it fits our fluff perfectly.

The wording has changed, it used to be half damage from each source, so a unit doing 10 damage total would be reduced to 5, now it is half weapon damage so a unit with damage 1 weapons doing 10 damage still does 10 damage, a unit with 2 damage weapons doing 10 damage now does 5.

3 hours ago, Kanamorf said:

The wording has changed, it used to be half damage from each source, so a unit doing 10 damage total would be reduced to 5, now it is half weapon damage so a unit with damage 1 weapons doing 10 damage still does 10 damage, a unit with 2 damage weapons doing 10 damage now does 5.

True, but it also went down in points too.  Can't wait to try mine out soon.

I still think the Rogue Idol can be a nice addition. Bonesplitters rely heavily on magic and have no real bonus to casting roll. A +1 to your 3-4 wizard really improve your consistency. Also the +1 to bravery  is not just in the battleshock, so it also boost Gorkamorka warcry, so with a prophet you now get a goods odds of stunning 7-8 bravery behemoth, and it should save you couple of model during the game.

and model look nice (i like it better than the witch)

4 minutes ago, broche said:

I still think the Rogue Idol can be a nice addition. Bonesplitters rely heavily on magic and have no real bonus to casting roll. 

Actually, Bonesplitterz probably have access to the most casting bonuses in the game. Kopp Rukk can give +2, Bale wind +1, Rogue Idol +1, and an artifact that gives +1 after a monster dies. That's a possible +5 to cast, which is pretty unheard of. It's the only reason I was even considering an Incarnate Elemental of Beasts, as we are about the only army that can reliably summon it.

true, i was ommiting the Kopp Rukk because i've kunning rukk in mind ;) (wich i think is the most competitive list, but is really dependant on casting a brutal beast spirit)

i guess balewind could be nice, but it's just one wizard. Artefact is somewhat unreliable

Thought I would post a quick update on my weekend at the GT. 

I came 20th (20 kill points behind 19th who was also Bonesplitterz)

This is the army I took

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Trait: Squirmy Warpaint 
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 

Battleline
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (320)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (320)
5 x Savage Boarboyz (120)

Units
6 x Savage Big Stabbas (300)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

The Bonesplitterz that came 19th was kunnin rukk archers and 8 stabbas as far as I am aware. I will be honest I am not a fan of this all archer list, I just cannot be bothered to roll that many dice.

I am delighted with my position having won 4 of my 6 games. The stars of the show were still the maniac boars but the stikkas were great in a big block, Killing 27 of 30 ghouls in one round, killing Nagash over the top of his Blood Knight screen and getting stuck into anything and everything they could.

The one game they did not perform was the game where my opponent was a Bonesplitterz splitter and now plays Fyreslayers. The stabbas died in the first volley of axes, with a comment along the lines of "I don't want them anywhere near my guys".

Another revelation for me was taking a character with the wurgog mask that was not part of my buff rotation so that I could use him aggressively. Previously the mask was on the wizard with Brutal Beast Spirits so I was always reluctant to roll the die to see if I got more mortals. This time he was a "spare" wizard with Bone Krusha who I ran forward as fast as possible popping single mortal wounds until he got in range to basically go bang. I would use his spell first for either d3 or d6 mortals depending on how close I got and then just mask until he died.

Game 1 I got 4d3 before death including Bone Krusha, game 2 I got d6 + 6d3, game 3 was 2d3, game 4 was 4d3 game 5 was 3d3 and last game he never got in range. Love him, especially running alongside my prophet who is poping arcane bolt and squiggly curse every turn. 

In 6 games I played 3 death, 1 fyreslayer, 2 Tzeench armies.

I was a bit unlucky getting the fyreslayers for the Scorched Earth scenario as he was one drop, poped up and burnt two of my objectives before I could do anything, game over really. I did get it back to 2 points at the end after two majestic turns of rolling the double for hand of gork and moving 10 boars 54" down the length of the board to burn 2 of his objectives.

I think I am going to do something very similar for Blood and Glory and the Cheltenham Warchief's Warpath so lets see how well it goes there.

On a more narrative note, the spirit of the Moster Hunter is still alive and strong. I had a total of 7 monsters placed against me over 6 games, they all died. I even got a new one onto my killed checklist, the Exaulted Lord of Change. I was very sad that the Fyreslayers had no monsters so the hat was removed. It was however taken by @The_True_Pano for that game while he chased down, and killed, the same Exaulted Lord of Change I killed earlier. So I got 7 monsters and the hat got 8.

Hey!

Used to play WHFB, thinking of getting into AoS, picking up some Bonesplitterz, love the models, they look fun and I like being able to ally with other Destruction armies.

What do you think of this 1000pt list to start out? 

Prophet
Waaaaagh! Monger, Savage Trophy
Extra Spell: Brutal Beasts Spirits 

30 Orruks w/ Stikkas 

10 Morboys 

10 Boarboys w/ Choppas

Ally: Aleguzzler Gargant

970pts

Any thoughts? 

Archived