GH2017 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

bonzai

I'm new to bonesplitterz and I am doing them at a slow grow.

This is what I am aiming at:

Savage big boss

Wurrgog prophet

Maniak Weirdnob

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (ally)

Wardokk

30x arrow boys

30x arrow boys

30x Morboys

5x Boarboys

1x Mangler Squig (ally)

1980p

Am i far off not using any battalions?

Will this work?

Kind regards

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AllanBallan said:

Am i far off not using any battalions?

Will this work?

Kind regards

Is it optimal? Probably not, but it will work for sure ;)

Anything with 2 x 30 arrowboys is nasty. I think batallion are overatted in GHB2017.

Just now, broche said:

Is it optimal? Probably not, but it will work for sure ;)

Anything with 2 x 30 arrowboys is nasty. I think batallion are overatted in GHB2017.

@AllanBallan

Personally the big thing about the battalion is the ability to double down on your single unit buffing. Combined with the extra artefact and reduced drop count I would say that with a list which gets close to it is probably worth taking the Kunnin' Rukk.

Not sure if you do take it though whether it might be worth swapping the Morboys for generic Savage Orruks since they go in the Kunnin' Rukk and give you the option to activate it on them instead.

8 minutes ago, AllanBallan said:

But is it "sucky" or alright?

My local meta is kind of competative and i dont wanna get steam rolled every game. Any good combos i can pull off with this? 

I would say alright+

but i would split the Morboys i think. Not sure you need the Savage boss since you don't play ruk (he is kind of overprice). 

couple of Big stabbas would be good for sure.

as for Mangler squig, i've no idea i've never played it but he look good enough. a bit bad agains shooting but he hit hard.

Yes i know i wanted to do that too. But the thing is best case scenario, Big boss do around 5 damage at rend 1. Buffed Morboys will do around 1 damages each. 

So let say you can get 10-15 morboys in contact + the big boss, so you get 10-15 damages (no rend) + 5 rend 1 damages for Big boss. Since you play 30 morboys, it would be unlikely that your opponent would kill enough so you lose attack. So in the end, big boss is more to get a 5 more extra damage before opponent reitaliate (which is not a bad ability don't get me wrong). 

Also big boss on buffed archer add around 10 damages no rend (but will add lots of time to your shooting phase)

The wurgog prophet command on Morboys will get around the sames damages output. 

If you can fit a couple of big stabbas and you're lucky enough to activate wurgog on them they will shred anything. 

So conclusion: it's not that savage big boss is bad. He is just overpriced. 120 pts for 6 wound at 6+ (so 8 effective wound) is just too expensive for what he does. I think it's real cost should be around 80. At 120 i prefer to an extra wizard, boar, 2 big stabbas, or 10 morboys over him.

18 minutes ago, broche said:

So conclusion: it's not that savage big boss is bad. He is just overpriced. 120 pts for 6 wound at 6+ (so 8 effective wound) is just too expensive for what he does. I think it's real cost should be around 80. At 120 i prefer to an extra wizard, boar, 2 big stabbas, or 10 morboys over him.

Unless you are taking him as your general for the extra attacks or as a requirement for Kunnin Rukk I agree he is junk. Just too squishy and too unreliable in combat.

5 hours ago, Kanamorf said:

Since dropping the KR I have been tinkering with how the list works but the core has always been 2 units of 10 maniacs (I always took them under GHB1 too). They are the core of how I play they are very strong at what they do and the double pile in in my turns can just make a mess of just about anything that is not extremely well armoured. In 18 months the only monster I have never killed on a fully buffed boar boy charge is the Star drake, you have to work harder to kill one of them.

Thanks for the write up @Kanamorf  - lots of great insights for Bonesplitterz players and yet more proof that there's life beyond the Rukk. Once again, congratulations for a brilliant finish - sounds like a really fun day of gaming too!

I've got a question for you about your Maniaks though, as I also used a unit of 10 in my 2000 points Bonesplitterz. How are you getting them to be so effective? In the games I play, I tend to find they don't do enough damage because of their natural 4+ 3+ and the relatively limited number of attacks - the 2 from the chompas and the two from the boars. Perhaps it's because my opponents are generally Stormcast, Sylvaneth and Death players, I find that often the Maniaks "bounce off" their targets (particularly Stormcast, but also Sylvaneth heroes unless I'm lucky enough to roll a 5-6 on the Monster Hunter table). Is there anything else you're doing beyond the Brutal Beast Spirits buff that I ought to consider? 

10 minutes ago, Pedro_L said:

Thanks for the write up @Kanamorf  - lots of great insights for Bonesplitterz players and yet more proof that there's life beyond the Rukk. Once again, congratulations for a brilliant finish - sounds like a really fun day of gaming too!

I've got a question for you about your Maniaks though, as I also used a unit of 10 in my 2000 points Bonesplitterz. How are you getting them to be so effective? In the games I play, I tend to find they don't do enough damage because of their natural 4+ 3+ and the relatively limited number of attacks - the 2 from the chompas and the two from the boars. Perhaps it's because my opponents are generally Stormcast, Sylvaneth and Death players, I find that often the Maniaks "bounce off" their targets (particularly Stormcast, but also Sylvaneth heroes unless I'm lucky enough to roll a 5-6 on the Monster Hunter table). Is there anything else you're doing beyond the Brutal Beast Spirits buff that I ought to consider? 

You have just listed 3 of the hardest armies for the boars. Armour save always causes a problem, but its fairly easy to get all 10 into combat so you are looking at 40 attacks in your 1st pile in and depending on how hard things hit back up to 40 in the second pile in. Brutal Beast spirits gives you an extra inch on your charge too so remember to wrap around. You do not have to charge straight at things, set up to charge round the end of screens into the squishy bits behind. Always take the Damned Terrain too, there is only a 1 in 6 chance that you will loose a boar and even then the additional +1 is worth the loss. I also live by the mantra of "Embrace the mystical terrain".

On sylvaneth heroes, just ignore the treelord ancient and durthu, clean up else where, you have to be lucky on them. I have done it, but not usually when they are rocking their 2+ rerolling 1s, that is where mortal wound bombs or big stikkas work better.

Your average fully buffed turn your boars can move and charge 28" (18" move, 7" rolled 2" from drum, 1" from BBS), in most cases you can choose your target and that not be the thing someone has put out in front for you to bounce off.

My final option for boars is to IP them and put 30 wounds somewhere really annoying for your opponent. 10 boars strung out lengthwise covers a huge amount of board space.

1 hour ago, meet.the.doctor said:

@Kanamorf - I am curious about one thing. If you play mainly on boars did you consider taking Destro GA to have Warboss on Boar (w.banner) as your general? And skip Bonesplitterz Allegiance?

What are the main benefits in Bs allegiance now for you? Hand of Gork, Mask and solid 6 Save? 

The loss of the magic (Squiggly Curse, Brutal Beast Spirits, Hand of Gork, and Bone Krusha) is not worth the gain of thewarboss banner. It is surprising how often you get a double 6 save on those two really important rolls too, and finally I love the monster hunter table.

In all it would be a loss to go Destro GA

1 hour ago, Kanamorf said:

The loss of the magic (Squiggly Curse, Brutal Beast Spirits, Hand of Gork, and Bone Krusha) is not worth the gain of thewarboss banner. It is surprising how often you get a double 6 save on those two really important rolls too, and finally I love the monster hunter table.

In all it would be a loss to go Destro GA

Sounds fair. I also play mainly Bonesplitterz for their magic, but I always feel that the 6s for save never apear;) and having a Warboss with Waaagh! As a general in BS would be soooo sweet.

thanks

I second Kanamorf. I find the 6 ward save is actually pretty strong in the meta with lots of high rend attack and mortal wound army. And of course magic is really good. Never had too much success with monster hunter so far, but i'm optimistic :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the work in this thread folks.

Bonesplittas will be my first destruction army. I wanted a classic orc faction but after seeing the rules they get, I had to go bonesplittas. Going to build so I can go kunnin ruck or boar heavy.

Ill post my battle reports here once I get my army built.

Update from LVO, i finished 12th place (best of destruction) with Bonesplitterz:

12th place list
Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Trait: Waaagh Monger 
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (100)
Orruk Warboss On Wyvern (240)
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (120)
5 x Savage Boarboyz (120)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
6 x Savage Big Stabbas (300)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Allies
Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 202

The list is not an optimal one, but it plays well. The goal is to use your toughness and mobility to play the objective. With 12 drops, my opponents would let me go first, so i would be aggressive to take board position, hopefully surviving the double turn if it happen, then use big stabbas and Arrowboys to clean part of the board and keep scoring.

I lost twice to Fyreslayer (worst matchup, almost pulled a win in the second game but could not win priority on last turn).

I did not miss kunnin ruk at all. What i missed was some boarboys maniak to have a longrange melee treath (with hand of gork). Probably would drop 1 squad of Morboys, boys and gruntas to fit 10 of them.

For spells I went with:

Brutal beast spirit on Weirnob, Kunin beast spirit on weirnob with Mask, Squigly curse, and hand of gork on Wardock. YMMV here, only brutal beast and hand of gork are stapple. 

have fun!

have fun!

On 2/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, broche said:

Update from LVO, i finished 12th place (best of destruction) with Bonesplitterz:

12th place list
Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Trait: Waaagh Monger 
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (100)
Orruk Warboss On Wyvern (240)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
6 x Savage Big Stabbas (300)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Allies
Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 202

The list is not an optimal one, but it plays well. The goal is to use your toughness and mobility to play the objective. With 12 drops, my opponents would let me go first, so i would be aggressive to take board position, hopefully surviving the double turn if it happen, then use big stabbas and Arrowboys to clean part of the board and keep scoring.

I lost twice to Fyreslayer (worst matchup, almost pulled a win in the second game but could not win priority on last turn).

I did not miss kunnin ruk at all. What i missed was some boarboys maniak to have a longrange melee treath (with hand of gork). Probably would drop 1 squad of Morboys, boys and gruntas to fit 10 of them.

For spells I went with:

Brutal beast spirit on Weirnob, Kunin beast spirit on weirnob with Mask, Squigly curse, and hand of gork on Wardock. YMMV here, only brutal beast and hand of gork are stapple. 

have fun!

have fun!

I love that you are doing something different. How did you find the Wyvern? I have discussed the use of "medium monsters" many times with @Sangfroid and would love to hear your thoughts.

Wyvern was great. Usually I was slapping a mystic shield and kunnin beast spirir on it, and played it aggressively. With 12'' move and fly she can threathen foot character early. So oppenent will either have to ignore her, or commit lots of attack to kill her while you solidify your board position. 

And when she die Morboys get a lots better.

She also help a lot in the Hero scenario (a not so good matchup for bonesplitter), i came very close to win agains fyreslayer with it sitting on an objective.

So pretty happy with the model overall.

• 2 weeks later...

What is a good Monster to ally in for about 200 pts? I'm kinda looking at the aleguzzler gargant or a unit of Troggoths. Buuut I sort of want it to die to buff my Morrboys and maybe the troggoths are a bit too tanky for that. At the same time I kinda want to get some use out of the pts investment xD

57 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

What is a good Monster to ally in for about 200 pts? I'm kinda looking at the aleguzzler gargant or a unit of Troggoths. Buuut I sort of want it to die to buff my Morrboys and maybe the troggoths are a bit too tanky for that. At the same time I kinda want to get some use out of the pts investment xD

Troggoth are not monster unfortunatly. Giant is the only one under 200 pts, after that it's the wyvern so not much choice here ;)

However unless you're really stuck, i would advise Wyvern over gargant. At 240 wyvern is a bargain, while Gargant is slightly overpriced at 170.

Giant go down with 18 damages, while wyvern will take 44 (90 with an arcane shield). And hit harder. And move faster and fly. Oh and can't fail charge on a double. For 70 pts extra, it's a good investment ;)

Otherwise i would just go big (like Rogue Idol)

15 hours ago, broche said:

However unless you're really stuck, i would advise Wyvern over gargant. At 240 wyvern is a bargain, while Gargant is slightly overpriced at 170.

Difference is that the gargant doesn't take up a hero slot and if you are after something to die, so you can get the +1 on your Morboys, then a gargant or two is a cheap and effective way to get it. In that regard the added survivability of the wyvern is actually a negative not a positive :D 

Archived