Brayherds question

Kosmion

In the new GHB well be getting some sweet allegience ab! But - theres one thing i dont get:

ambush: allows all brayherd units to be set to the side, then deployed in your first movement. 

Herdstone: set up a herdstone within 6" of the general, and atleast 1" from anything else. 

Now, how am i supposed to set up the stone if the general is in ambush? The only possible solutions i see are either A, The general isnt a brayherd unit, thus hes deployed as usual.

Or B. He IS brayherd, but deployed as usual in order to even be able to set up a herdstone. 

Am i missing something here? Anyone has more info on this?

thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/08/2017 at 10:25 AM, Bueno said:

I would say you don't set up the herd stone until you deploy your general. So if you ambush your general you would set it up when you deploy the beast lord/brayshaman on your first movement phase.

I agree that this seems reasonable when you consider that the Herdstone essentially is the buff and other armies do not get a completely immobile command trait.

Thematically this seems a bit bent though. How are they supposed to carry that massive chunk of rock, let alone ambush with it?

5 hours ago, thebloody9 said:

I agree that this seems reasonable when you consider that the Herdstone essentially is the buff and other armies do not get a completely immobile command trait.

Thematically this seems a bit bent though. How are they supposed to carry that massive chunk of rock, let alone ambush with it?

Not sure about the new fluff, but in 8th ed the magic item was a "shard of the headstone" and it was basically a fragment that the character would throw on the ground and would then "grow" a new herdstone out of the ground 

I suppose this comes down to what 'set up is complete' is.

That's the time when you place the Herdstone. If your General has been set up in Ambush, and therefore off the table, I can't see how you'd be able to place the Herdstone, since 'set up' has been completed and it's impossible to place the Herdstone within 6" of him.

Therefore, I'd say, whilst your General can Ambush, if he did, we couldn't then utilise the Herdstone mechanic.

1 hour ago, The Nameless One said:

I suppose this comes down to what 'set up is complete' is.

That's the time when you place the Herdstone. If your General has been set up in Ambush, and therefore off the table, I can't see how you'd be able to place the Herdstone, since 'set up' has been completed and it's impossible to place the Herdstone within 6" of him.

Therefore, I'd say, whilst your General can Ambush, if he did, we couldn't then utilise the Herdstone mechanic.

IMG_0289.PNG.613fcd3f55ab75a70d6746a42da90fe5.PNG

wording seems to to indicate that set up is when you deploy in ambush in your first turn though.

Good point @Bueno.

Maybe it's the use of 'set up' we need to look at.

IMG_2191.PNG.3856015d42dbdfcc9953e12279dd07c0.PNG

From the four page rules, the verb 'to set up' is when you put a unit down. But the noun 'set-up' is used (with the extra -) to denote a state of the game. So, you set up units and when you are finished you have set up your units and set-up is complete.

IMG_2192.PNG.7298cbef84dee660a10df872f3f46f26.PNG

You pick your General crucially after set-up is complete, not when you finished setting up your units. This could be the distinction that affects when your Herdstone is placed. So, not after you finishing setting up, but after set-up (which seems, as per the rules, to be able to happen before we've potentially set up all our actual units.

Our is this a set-up??

Archived