"Proxy" question

So I had a fun idea for an army that mixes Bonesplitterz and Fyreslayers as a sort of "S*** happens when you party naked" themed army. Idea would be to add some Fyreslayers models to a Bonesplitterz force. My question is, how amenable are people to things like "This Hearthguard is really Morboyz" assuming they are all painted thematically? 

I just love the idea of a lodge of wild jungle dwarves teaming up with bonesplitterz in a love for battle and near nudity.

Why don't play the Fyreslayer as Fyreslayers? We know that they are mercenaries, willing to fight for everyone in exchange for some Ur-Gold. 
Sure, you can't mix alliances in Matched Play. But there is still open play. You can use points and battlefield roles, if you want a more balanced game. 

Oh I like too, I just don't know really what the mores are so I figured I'd ask you fine folk.

I might even see if I can get away with literally just mixing them just into the units themselves and having an equal number of regular guys off to the side in case anyone gets tetchy. 

Going to be a lot of dwarves wearing green body paint. 

12 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

Oh I like too, I just don't know really what the mores are so I figured I'd ask you fine folk.

I might even see if I can get away with literally just mixing them just into the units themselves and having an equal number of regular guys off to the side in case anyone gets tetchy. 

Going to be a lot of dwarves wearing green body paint. 

If you want them as 'count as' models, then mixing them into the units themselves is the safe bet for sure. Some thematic painting and converting will get you a long way as well (fyreslayers riding boars as boar boys, for example)

My own general rule of thumb for safe converting/mixing, is that you're able to check off at least some of the checkboxes of what the unit/model is supposed to look like. Usually, this just means being able to believably represent whatever weapon they're supposed to have, or inserting extra detail from the unit they now represent (bunch of skulls for a khorne freeguild reaver, for example) as to not break immersion too much in play (again, you can ignore that, but it is easier for yours and your opponent's mind to remember what you're coming at him with that way without constantly checking the warscroll.) In effect, that usually just means that they don't run around with two tiny daggers to represent a giant two-handed hammer.

To give an example, and I can post a picture later if you want a visual representation - my corsair fleetmaster is an armored tree revenant wielding a one-handed axe. The axe then represents his saber, and his sharp tree revenant arm represents his murder hook. He looks more like a dreadlord, in hindsight, and could be believably run as that as well - even if he sort of looks like a sylvaneth, and both fleetmaster and dreadlord are dark aelves. You don't have to do it so strictly, but that's my approach at least ;)

Hope that helps!

Archived