Compatible with AoS?

Mr. White

One of the big bonuses to the new WHQ games is that we can use most of our AoS models. 

That "double duty" for models doesn't seem as likely with Shadespire. Seems we would need special decks and such for each character.

I suppose my question is...does this complement AoS like WHQ does or is this a separate game only sharing the same setting?

This is separate with a caveat.

First off, this is GW's intro to get into the competitive game circuit. And no... AoS and 40k are not in this league. They can also be competitive games, but not in a traditional organized play way.

Now, to answer your question, this game complements AoS but AoS does not complement Shadespire.

The models that are designed for Shadespire will also get Warscrolls for AoS. But AoS models will not be ported into Shadespire.

In my opinion, while its great to have the flexibility of models between several game systems like GW usually does, its also refreshing to have these stand alone products.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Pretty much what @Lord Cedric has said. 

Shadespire seems to be designed to appeal to an audience who may not want to paint the models, which is why we may not see any AOS direct ports into the game. Plus I'm guessing it would be difficult to try and dovetail in some AOS stuff without specifically doing a lot of design work due to how the game may play.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As the models are most certainly allready represented units in the AoS game I doubt they will recieve specific Warscrolls that are different. However I do think they could be very interesting to add to the Warhammer Quest games. In any case I'll be using my models as unit Champions and think this is a cool alternative option for them anyway :) 

• Like 1

Well it would be the perfect first attempt at giving certain units an 0-1 Upgrade option. Essentially adding characters to units. Which could be interesting in my opinion and adds some characterful flavour that otherwise can be lost due to Horde rules or the typical 'spam same units' army games present.

• Like 1

I think it was said that warscrolls would come eventually but not at launch. Most of the minis are just regular aos minis. You have a female liberator, a liberator prime and a liberator with grandhammer for example. The most obvious use case for the minis is in skirmish. 

There is  a rumour that a hunters warband is coming. If you take 3 liberators and 3 hunters you just need to add a hero to have a 50 renown warband for skirmish, no additional warscroll necessary. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I think there are many ways to implement the characterful models into armies and make them relevant. This could indeed be if they are their own Warscroll but I like the idea of adding them to excisting units aswell, as they are confirmed veterans of battle. On the other side, from a narrative perspective, they all seem stuck in Shadespire, so if they will not recieve any Warscrolls for regular Age of Sigmar games this too makes some sence albeit in narrative context.

Well most coloured plastics are a bit softer but I don't think we're talking rubber mini's here. In essence I think you'll barely (=not) notice the difference when painting the model. The reason as to why I think Games Workshop has chosen for this is to ensure the models can endure more handling and shipping in their boxes with the heavier cards etc.

I personally wish that for certain models Games Workshop would use the softer plastics. I have 3 Bloodsecrators, 2 of which have a broken "fork-hand". Not because of rough handling but simply handling the starter box he came in. The fewer the models more likely it will occur.

To my knowledge these models will not be rubberized but of the same quality like that of the more recent Stormcast vs Bloodbound smaller starter set, which also included coloured plastic models. Once the paint is on you don't see or feel any difference. Unless you look at the bottom of the base or want to disassemble them every time you go somewhere...

Edited by Killax
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

The bloodbowl box was coloured plastic and felt identical to normal plastic to me 

Yeah I think on this level the effect is barely noticable. Especially as most players try to handle their plastic miniatures as less as possible, which is why I am a fan of bigger bases as it gives you that much more surface to handle parts that arn't too relevant. The game after all has a few miniatures and a very flat surface to be pushed around onto. Armies used for Age of Sigmar will typically have to endure more handling over time aswell, as there are much more factors involved in handling/playing them.

In any case, it is quite offtopic but I do believe this is an interesting article on the effects colours can have on plastics: https://www.polyplastics.com/en/product/safety/coloring/ There are many ways to go about it and obviously Games Workshop puts it's plastic quality to a standard it's known for, which is amongst the highest in the (board/mini) gaming industry.   

All in all, I wouldn't and don't worry about it whatsoever. As before I do have plans to convert the bases for models I intend to play as AoS armies aswell but overall have to say that one of the bigger differences between this game and Age of Sigmar remains that a competitive Warhammer Underworlds player will likely end up with many crews to obtain powerful nutral cards that are bounded to be spread across the different Warbands. After all, without this the game in itself would become an expensive side-game for Games Workshop.

Unlike my initial impression I believe Games Workshop has the intend to push Warhammer Underworlds as a game in and on itself (like Blood Bowl) and not promote it as a sidegame, something Warhammer Quest and other games like Gorechosen to some extend are. How we can see this difference is how WQ and Gorechosen use the exact same Age of Sigmar models as the Age of Sigmar game. 

9 hours ago, Keldaur said:

In the website you see them as liberators and bloodreavers which is what i expecting. Do you think they will grt their own warscroll as.a unit? i find it unlikely and i really hope it does not. 

@Killax oh yeah the bloodsecrator... i had to pin it.

Yeah I think a new Warscroll could be cool but at the same time I too don't think all Warbands are ideal for this. They remain ideal for Age of Sigmar Skirmish but the numbers don't really add up for Age of Sigmar. What could happen is that the Champions will recieve their own Hero Warscroll. Though I don't think that will occur anytime soon.

Never had any issues with my Bloodsecrator but a lot of use will indeed force a pinning, was your wobbly? Or?

My only issue model is the Bloodstoker, I own 3, only 1 still has that fork. 2 of them broke in the box.

Edited by Killax

• 3 years later...