GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Chris Tomlin haha great minds think alike. Or insane ones fielding 18 Gore Gruntas! ?

@Sangfroid you're right the Bloodtoof is likely overkill there. If you swapped two of the Gore Grunta units for ard boys to get more bodies on the field. Still a lack of character support or real punch outside the Crushas though.

heres another double crusha idea 

Megaboss on crusha x2

5x Brutes

5x Brutes

5x Brutes

10x ardboyz

10x ardboyz

Ironfist.

Coming in at 1980 you've got a fair amount of bodies and twin crushas. The lack of character support is worrisome though. Maybe drop a brute unit and add a shaman and a warchanter. Or some Trolls, just for fun

My initial impression is that running something like @Sangfroid's horde list might be strong. I'd be inclined to drop the Gargant and Weirdnob for 2 Chukkas and a Grot Shaman. Getting as much rend -2 into the list as possible to offset the lack of mortal wounds will be crucial.

Speculating is hard until we see the Battleplans. Many lists here seem very thin on models, which is concerning. On concern with the Bloodtoofz that you all seem to be ignoring is the tactical advantage you give to your opponent by putting a Realm Gate in their deployment zone. As an opponent, I would be thrilled to get to teleport my ****** around the map at will! The bonuses are fantastic, of course, but be wary of the tools you give over to your opponent.

Sadly the Grot shaman is 80 points now so that's 200 for spearchuka and shaman (I have 2 spear Chukas and the were in every list until GHBv1 dropped and introduced battleline requirements. 

Ive played quite a few games with now Mawcrusha and 2 foot bosses and it is viable however you are losing the mortal wounds so sometimes it can really bite you (sylvaneth) however with the new abilities and a brutefist this can be offset somewhat and out get a lot of punch for your bucks with 2 footboss for a paltry 280 points! 

Okay next up because let's be honest I'm not working at all today :-) 

no formations greentide:

megaboss , general bestial cunning, boss skewer

megaboss, meatripper

weirdnob

warchanter 

30 ardnobz

5 brutes

5 brutes

5 brutes

5 brutes

40 orruk boyz (shields) 

=1970

the lesser Greenskinz  reroll all saves in combat get an extra attack cause of numbers. So for this list you have 2 massive hordes can Inspring presense both on average each turn, mystic shield probably the Greenskinz or the one that doesn't have IP if you roll bad. 

Your brutes could really be in any combo of 20 2x10 or 10 + 2x5 but I felt having the 5 man darts you can be flexible with their placement and they can tack on to the combats of the blocks 

could swap out boss skewer for destroyer of the golden toof (if you do that then I reckon bestial charisma works better) sooo many options! 

p.s that's 186 wounds on the table 

7 minutes ago, Solaris said:

My initial impression is that running something like @Sangfroid's horde list might be strong. I'd be inclined to drop the Gargant and Weirdnob for 2 Chukkas and a Grot Shaman. Getting as much rend -2 into the list as possible to offset the lack of mortal wounds will be crucial.

Speculating is hard until we see the Battleplans. Many lists here seem very thin on models, which is concerning. On concern with the Bloodtoofz that you all seem to be ignoring is the tactical advantage you give to your opponent by putting a Realm Gate in their deployment zone. As an opponent, I would be thrilled to get to teleport my ****** around the map at will! The bonuses are fantastic, of course, but be wary of the tools you give over to your opponent.

@Chris Tomlinsaid territory so that technically is just over the half way line ;-)

7 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Ooops...getting lots of overlapping posts here. Looks like we are on similar wavelengths though @Sangfroid...shocker! :) 

@VoodooChileIRL - Interesting concept! I haven't even tried to fit a unit of 15 Brutes into my lists so far...just not sure you'd find the points with any battalion in play? Just thinking off the top of my head there though.

@Sangfroid - Yeh mate, I did the same with my lists tbh, as long as it says Brutes/Ardboys you know what the options are right. Finding the shape of the list is more important at the moment.

Interesting to see a Cabbage-free list there. Do we think there's mileage without him? Crazy how much more you get though isn't it! Nice list.

@Chris Tomlin Yeah it's very difficult to fit in that mass of Brutes without compromising somewhere (Megaboss for Maw Krusha, dropping additional heroes etc). I was wondering how this might go though:

Mawkrusha -  Daubing of Mork 
Megaboss -  General, Brutish Cunning, Destroyer

15xBrutes
5xBrutes
5xBrutes

Gore Gruntas
Gore Gruntas 

Brutefist

Total: 1960

The Megaboss on foot sticks with the 15 Brutes, giving them Inspiring Presence. Brutish Cunning is probably not worth taking but given this already has shenanigans in the Hero Phase, a chance for more in the enemy's Charge phase is almost too good to pass up. The Gore Gruntas are just there to fill this out a bit, though with some thought there is probably a place for Allies there instead of the Gruntas.

28 minutes ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

@Chris Tomlin Yeah it's very difficult to fit in that mass of Brutes without compromising somewhere (Megaboss for Maw Krusha, dropping additional heroes etc). I was wondering how this might go though:

Mawkrusha -  Daubing of Mork 
Megaboss -  General, Brutish Cunning, Destroyer

15xBrutes
5xBrutes
5xBrutes

Gore Gruntas
Gore Gruntas 

Brutefist

Total: 1960

The Megaboss on foot sticks with the 15 Brutes, giving them Inspiring Presence. Brutish Cunning is probably not worth taking but given this already has shenanigans in the Hero Phase, a chance for more in the enemy's Charge phase is almost too good to pass up. The Gore Gruntas are just there to fill this out a bit, though with some thought there is probably a place for Allies there instead of the Gruntas.

How many points are giants? 160? Maybe a pair of them instead of the Gruntas. They're still quite fast and heavy hitting and two can't be ignored. Hurts your model count a bit though

26 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Yeh the battleplans are important. As I've alluded to elsewhere there are a couple where a single unit of 20+ models trumps anything else when it comes to claiming the objectives. This is a real problem for us outside of allies. Sure we have the Ardboys Massive Regiment, but at not far shy of a quarter of our army, it's a high price to pay. So yeh, I think these will have to impact our list builds.

As an allies choice, a Massive Regiment of 60 Grots plus a single Spear Chukka clocks in at 390.

You are totally right regarding the Realmgate, it does give your opponent the option to appear on a board edge, which is potentially problematic. However as Kieran picked up...

18 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

@Chris Tomlinsaid territory so that technically is just over the half way line ;-)

Exactly this. I wouldn't be putting it right in their deployment zone or anything. But you do raise a good point, it does need consideration. Adds a fun element to the games though right?

25 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Okay next up because let's be honest I'm not working at all today :-) 

Ha! You and me both! I'm definitely creating myself some problems for future Chris to worry about today haha :S 

That is a very nice list. All these non-Battalion ones look so much better on paper don't they...by that I mean just seeing more models listed looks better! You really have to adjust your viewpoint to consider what these lists gain or lose depending on battalions.

Crazy to have so many options!! I love it.

@VoodooChileIRL - I gotta be honest, it's very comforting to see the "15 Brutes" on an Ironjawz army list! Not sure what to make of this. I would be very concerned about making anything other than a Maw-krusha the General (if it is in the list). Could drop the Gruntas there for a single unit of 60 Grots! You then switched back to Bestial Charisma and hope to IP up the 15 Brutes and the Grots!

6 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I've not much to add, but there is a seriously impressive amount of information here, really interesting stuff I'm dishing out likes all over the place.

Just reading and absorbing means you'll undoubtedly be contributing down the line. Drink it in man! 

I've got another list I've been thinking about this morning;

Megaboss on Maw-Crusha - Ironclad, Daubing
Megaboss - Destroyer
Weirdnob - Boss Skewer
Warchanter

Ironfist & Bloodtoof

5 Brutes
5 Brutes
5 Brutes
10 Ardboys
10 Ardboys

That's 2,000 on the nose. I will concede that in a Bloodtoof list you don't need Bestial Charisma so Brutish Cunning or Ironclad are better options.

The army looks very light weight though doesn't it? I don't really see a way around this without dropping the foot Megaboss (as the Maw-krusha is part of the organisation), upgrading to 10 Brutes and dropping 5 Brutes/10 Ardboys for 3 Gore-gruntas. Does that make it better though?

Losing the Warchanter gives us nothing here and you don't really want to be dropping below 3 characters else you're wasting an Artefact (and it now feels like you're paying for them, so you want to get the most out of them!).

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how these Bloodtoof lists pan out. I don't think you want allies in them (I suspect someone will suggest a Grot Shaman) as part of what you're paying for is that one drop and only Ironjawz units are allowed in the battalion.

Hhmmm...time for some lunch I think. Speak in a bit boyz!

Chris

8 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

How many points are giants? 160? Maybe a pair of them instead of the Gruntas. They're still quite fast and heavy hitting and two can't be ignored. Hurts your model count a bit though

You need to be thinking very slightly higher there ;)

There is a Battleplan where Behemoths score btw. Gargants will see some play IMO.

1 hour ago, Xelotath said:

@Wallack you could add a cheeky grot shaman for some magic output with those points?

Is 80 points right? I guess I could buy one x) I basically bought the army painted and just added the warchanter for a 1000pt army to have something ready while I prepare my stormcasts (can't play unpainted xD). But that could make it work.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

I don't think you'd fit the two in as direct replacements for the Gruntas. Worth thinking about though, particularly with that nice box set of two GW have now.

8 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@VoodooChileIRL - I gotta be honest, it's very comforting to see the "15 Brutes" on an Ironjawz army list! Not sure what to make of this. I would be very concerned about making anything other than a Maw-krusha the General (if it is in the list). Could drop the Gruntas there for a single unit of 60 Grots! You then switched back to Bestial Charisma and hope to IP up the 15 Brutes and the Grots!

Now that's an idea. Of course the thought of painting 60 Grots terrifies me but that would be an interesting list to try out. 

I assume the Maw Krusha General is primarily for survivability?

Has anyone looked into Troggoths? I'm thinking a core of 6 flanked by two units of five brutes running up the centre. 

Havent got an actual List for it yet as I'm definitely supposed to be working too

I've used 3 River Trolls. Offensively they don't offer anything different than a unit of Brutes. Defensively they are not as strong the -1 to hit in combat and regeneration doesn't really make up for the lesser save.

They do things in a different way however and the odd times you surprise someone with the vomit attack is fun. So they do provide a bit of variety. I don't think they are the best competitive choice rules wise. They might be handy for adding some aesthetic variation if you are a best army/painted contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

I don't think you'd fit the two in as direct replacements for the Gruntas. Worth thinking about though, particularly with that nice box set of two GW have now.

Now that's an idea. Of course the thought of painting 60 Grots terrifies me but that would be an interesting list to try out. 

Yeh who doesn't like Gargants? Super cool.

Agree completely re the 60 Grots!! I think they are a good addition to our lists, but man...I don't even know what models I'd use to make them fit aesthetically (probably converted 40K Grots I guess) let alone wanting to paint them.

1 hour ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

I assume the Maw Krusha General is primarily for survivability?

Yeh exactly. If you're relying upon units being buffed with Inspiring Presence etc, you need that survivability. That said it puts an even bigger target on this already big boy's head!!

3 minutes ago, Nico said:

If there's a Realmgate in your Battalion, then watch out for the Gaunt Summoner getting to auto summon any Daemon out of it.

Something to watch out for, but obviously this would still come out of the opponents reserve points. Also the distance stipulations on the rule probably give them less of a threat range than a regular casting, so all it's really doing is letting them dodge the casting roll (which Tzeentch make often enough anyway!) .

But yes, still a very worthwhile point to make @Nico, thanks :) 

17 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yeh who doesn't like Gargants? Super cool.

Agree completely re the 60 Grots!! I think they are a good addition to our lists, but man...I don't even know what models I'd use to make them fit aesthetically (probably converted 40K Grots I guess) let alone wanting to paint them.

Gretchin might be an idea, and the pistols could work in place of Bows+Slashas but if you decided to use Spears you're in for a slog converting them. I have to say the Gutbuster Grots are probably the most flavoursome models (Grot with a broken bottle, one grot on another's shoulders) but alas Gutbusters aren't allies. 

If I was going to do it, I'd go with the Scarcrag Snivellers from Blood Bowl. Their armour looks good and fits with some little gitz aping the big 'uns. My only concern would be the scale (are they much smaller than Ard Boyz? Never seen them in person) and obviously cost.

3 minutes ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

If I was going to do it, I'd go with the Scarcrag Snivellers from Blood Bowl. Their armour looks good and fits with some little gitz aping the big 'uns. My only concern would be the scale (are they much smaller than Ard Boyz? Never seen them in person) and obviously cost.

Ooooh fantastic shout bro! Very very interesting....

@Sangfroid @Chris Tomlin I guess I am not as brave my first bout to take the mega battalion, can't wait for recaps! my first play test list will be a weird one (pun intended)

weird pain list:

megaboss - ironclad / armour (general)

2xwarchanter 

1 weirdknob

megaboss (boss skewer)

rogue idol-ally (+1 bravery until killed, +1 cast)

10 brutes 

5 brutes

5 brutes

20 ardboyz 

balewind

ironfist

if my math adds up correct I think this clocks in at 1,940.  I think my list will be slower with no gruntas so this may change with the addition of gruntas for 10 arboyz and 5 brutes if I find it to slow for competition. I do have a foot of gork casting on a 6 turn one and 2 if I am able to pop the balewind up. :) With the age of peek-a-boo armies (fyreslayer,seraphon,stormcast,sylvaneth,some beastclaw, KO's, dispossessed to name a few) I kinda like the -1 to hit turn one (3+) battalion more than the extra charge+bravery, especially now that we have a few ways to minimize battleshock!! do you think you may be able to expand on what the second part of that battalion does? @Chris Tomlin

10 minutes ago, Southern trolls said:

do you think you may be able to expand on what the second part of that battalion does? @Chris Tomlin

Which bit mate? It's super simple, just check out the Strength through Victory rule on the Megaboss on Maw-krusha warscroll, You count as already killing an enemy hero :) 

List looks fun. Can't wait to hear about the Rogue Idol. Definite cool points there!!

I'm hopefully going to play @Cowboy Boots Matt on Saturday now.

If I run Ironjawz to take advantage of Ironjawz battleline but use destruction allegiance, can i give a destruction Artefact to an ally?
I get that i couldnt give Ironjawz artefact to an ally hero, but would i be able to give a destruction?

I'm thinking about this for other factions rather than Ironjawz, but not clear on what the new rules are

Archived