GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always want to field heaps of brutes! But due to their high points cost, gruntas are much more palatable...

In my experience with Snazzlebutt Cave Shaman, he fluffed all his casting and was a beast in combat lol he got charged by a Thundertusk on an objective and the Ttusk couldn’t budge him. Cavie even dealt a wound! 

Good ol grot shenanigans 

I am currently setting up the following army for our next home battle:

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (620)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
- Allies

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Gorefist (220)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 127

There is nothing to explain, but hopefully it is viable... we will see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 5:13 PM, Hot Peanut said:

I am currently setting up the following army for our next home battle:

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
- Allies

Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Gorefist (220)

There is nothing to explain, but hopefully it is viable... we will see.

As a question about your list with a full 18 Gruntas are you kitting them out with axes or Spears? 

I noticed you have the three warchanterss so I figure the grunts will be hitting on 2/3 or 3/3 so the reach may be better. What's your thoughts since the 15 herophase move may put them outside of your chanters range?

4 hours ago, Velonge said:

As a question about your list with a full 18 Gruntas are you kitting them out with axes or Spears? 

I noticed you have the three warchanterss so I figure the grunts will be hitting on 2/3 or 3/3 so the reach may be better. What's your thoughts since the 15 herophase move may put them outside of your chanters range?

Pig Choppas.

I can use the Frency of Violence before the 15" move. So I do not see a problem here 

‘Allo Boyz

workin towards my 2k pts of Geoff Big Pek’s Bloodtoofs

I’m building towards one of these two lists and was hoping you guys would share your thoughts! :D make me a happy little Ironjaw

-Either-
Krusha
Megaboss 
Warchanter x3 (one would have the Boss Skewer and run with the Brutes)
Fungoid (cheap MS and fun as hell to play)
Brutes 2x5
Gruntas 3x3
Bloodtoofs

Or
Krusha 
Warchanter x2 (one would have the Boss Skewer and run with the Brutes)
Fungoid 
Brutes 4x5
Pigs 1x6
Bloodtoofs

I didn’t necessarily included all the wargear and command options because I plan to change it up every now and then for fun. But if it were a tournament I would of course opt for the ironclad/metal ripper build 

Thanks boyz

I just got my Troll Hag delivered to the house from Forge World today. I know she was highly regarded as an ally to IJ previously, has the general consensus of her changed in recent months?

Looking forward to putting her on the table soon and experimenting with different lists

On 19.3.2018 at 12:14 AM, Tizianolol said:

Thx a lot:)

So today I had 2 games with the following army:

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Funguid Cave-Shaman (80)
- Allies
Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
-  Ironjawz Battleline
Battalions
Gorefist (220)

and it was a lot of fun, I bashed into my opponent (mixed Order) with 18 buffed pigs and took 400pts from him without getting a single hit. In the mean time , my Warchanters hold one objective and my Shaman buffed Gordrakk. We fought until my last pig was slain in the 3 battleround, but then, Gordrakk took out 4 O.o units with destructive bulk and rampaging destroyer... fml, never saw that before, yeah all of them were low but that was one heck of a combo which also ended the game.

In my opinion it is the funniest army Ironjawz can offer, but it is a little bit tricky at the beginning. I didn't use the 8" charge buff from the pigs because it is too risky...

Here are some pics from the battle (painting still ongoing):

9bdf568b-eae7-4fad-ba4e-9280188d6e4e.jpg.660d84e764b13a62b570c347121e296e.jpg

before the charge:

be2bdd11-18b3-4a54-a7ed-b3c2754ff838.jpg.a96d46efef70314bc68220297ec17098.jpg

second battle round:

9940f07c-7b8e-4956-9a6d-90279bce882d.jpg.6479b2e234c954078ca618a9522d1942.jpg

Gordrakk on his way to the grand finale...

330ea66a-ff1a-4fe0-ad73-7a5e05a4b93d.jpg.00903793bce5ffc387b46a8efba03a7d.jpg

36 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

I just got my Troll Hag delivered to the house from Forge World today. I know she was highly regarded as an ally to IJ previously, has the general consensus of her changed in recent months?

Looking forward to putting her on the table soon and experimenting with different lists

I run the hag in a BCR army and it’s so much fun, I think it would do damage in an IJ list 

@Brakkus troggoth Hag is still a great and viable ironjawz ally, the equivalence of 3 short ranged spear chukkas, a wizard, a bit of fight all in a 16 wound monster than can heal its self d6 wounds a turn Is naturally -1 to hit and has a decent spell herself.  (Phew) 

the only downside is that she doesn’t get any bonus to cast which I know a lot of people dislike on the Weirdnob because of the mortal wound potential however mystic shield is sometime so vital on the Mawkrusha  (with ironclad of course) that I’ll take the d3 mortals to make it more likely. 

• 3 weeks later...

So with some of the recent things coming out of Gordrakk and his sidekick ( @Chris Tomlin @Sangfroid fight among yourselves for who gets to be the big G) it raises a few questions and considerations.

Notably is the use of small 5 man brutes squads with waaagh! To maximise the -2 rend from the smasha.

So from there.

With us seeing more MSU are the mega battalions looking better. The big problem was always filling out the Ironfist but with the 3x3 ggs and 5x5 brutes that seems like a none issue.

Second is how a Footboss with metal rippers  compares to a unit of 5 brutes. Especially with other msu brutes around to benefit from his rr1s.

Lastly is prophet of the waaagh! Vs ironclad. Since we are now fishing for the +2 more and out bane remains MW output is it potentially worth dropping the ironclad to go for it.

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (140)

Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

As an example list. Has the advantage of being a 1 drop, tripple Artefact and the extra charge/bravery. Runs way more -2 rend than a normal list.

One thing I like about the MSU Brute approach in a Bloodtoofs batallion is that they are easier to get within range of the Realmgate, if you are planning on using it.

The key thing being that all of the models must start the movement within (but not wholly within) 6" of the Realmgate - this obviously being easier to achieve with a unit of 5 than it is with a unit of 10, especially since you will ideally want to leave room for the Shaman to get a toenail within 6" (kind of annoying that the Warchanter isn't a Priest for these purposes, but hey ho).

Could get straight into your opponent's backfield, making a decent Deff Squad.

I’ve been playing for a long time now with maximised brute units for the extra Smasha and can agree this makes a lot of sense, however I would not countenance dropping Ironclad from the Mawkrusha this for me gives him so much plus you almost always have enough units around you to auto pass the waagh test (though the reroll to try and get the sweet 6 would be a nice to have) 

i like the metalrippa on the Mawkrusha too as this gives you a real nasty wreaking ball to deal with some of the nasty stuff out there (stardrakes, seraphon units that ignore rend -1). For me when I play both I prefer to have either the boss skewer on the footbosss or destroyer as he will be near the Brutes always plus you more likely to throw him into a less deadly opponents (so having 3 damage agaisnt a 5+ save unit for example). 

Id love to play the one drop formations again (had a lot of fun when ghb2017 dropped with Bloodtoofs) but I find it hard to justify the 280/300 points sink, because in my mind 15-25 Brutes is a given so those points are effectively my Gorepigs, if I’m honest I struggle to even fit a Ironfist in :-) 

Because I’m a silly man I’m contemplating ironjawz for Scgt coming up and with the new meta of horde units with at best rend -1 but loads of attacks I’m seriously considering the Armour of Gork/ironclad/mystic shield combo I took to blackout last year 

On 13/4/2018 at 5:26 AM, Malakree said:

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (140)

Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

As an example list. Has the advantage of being a 1 drop, tripple Artefact and the extra charge/bravery. Runs way more -2 rend than a normal list.

How do you get to use 3 artifacts? Isn't 2 the maximum an army can have?

What about a fungoid instead of the weirdnob?

1 hour ago, Leonhart040 said:

How do you get to use 3 artifacts? Isn't 2 the maximum an army can have?

What about a fungoid instead of the weirdnob?

Fungoid is not ironjawz so you would lose the one drop feature of the list (wich is kind of the point of playing a super bataillon)

Anyone tried or calculated the impact of Voice of Gork turn 1 into a gorefist battallion?

Gorefist, 15" movement during hero phase for 12-18 pig. Normal 9" movement. 3 dice+1  charge from a 18"range (aiming for the 8" charge bonus on pig)

2 Extra attack,  (5 for weapon and 6 for pig) Add a few warchanter +1 to hit.

It's a turn one wrecking ball. Not sure if it would work but I'm sure it can be fun to try at least once. hahaha

Leaders

Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (620) - General  - Hulking Muscle-Bound Brute - The Boss Skewer
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Units
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)

Battalions
Gorefist (220)

Total: 2000 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 129

Archived