GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

I found that a unit of 20 Ardboyz with Mystic Shield (and a probably unnecessary Inspiring Presence) stalled 5 wrathmongers and 10 bloodwarriors for about 4 turns. If it hadn't been for my idiot decision to charge into a choke point, herp derp, they probably would have wiped them both. As it was I could only bring about 25% of the attacks to bear I should have done. Despite that the Ardboyz killed 4 wrathmongers and 7 bloodwarriors.

I also managed to delete a unit of wrathmongers with my 5 DW brutes charging into them, they had a Footboss nearby and frenzy of violence. That was with one of the brutes dumping all 5(!) of his attacks into the slaughter priest and falling 1 wound short of killing him to :(

Ah! I have been wanting to try using some 'ardboys, but haven't gotten around to building them yet. Will definitely give them a try though!

Coincidentally: This is the 2k list I've been thinking about getting. Feel free to call it horrible or something, since my listbuilding skills aren't the best when it comes to the greens.

• Megaboss on Maw-Krusha  - General - Trait: Ironclad - Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw
  • Orruk Warchanter  - Artefact: The Boss Skewer
  • Orruk Warchanter 
  • Orruk Weirdnob Shaman
  • 30 x Orruk Ardboys
  • 5 x Orruk Brutes
  • 5 x Orruk Brutes
  • 3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas
  • 3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas
  •  Battalion: Ironfist

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's intersting, I suggest to put 2x5 brutes into one unit of 10 . You have more benefit from 2 warchanter, in the same turn you can buff with them mk and 10 brutes!! You can remove wirdnob for grot shaman and with that points remove 3 gruntas for another unit of brutes! I love that:)

On 10/25/2017 at 8:32 AM, Filie said:

Hello! I've been considering picking up Ironjawz, but in a tryout game against a friend's bloodbound I have to ask: Is there a good way to deal with their wrathmongers? When we fought their death effect kind of just deleted my units.

My list was rather quickly thrown together but it was something like:

*Megaboss on foot

*Warchanter

3x3 goregruntas

2x5 brutes

I try to ignore them, by trying to stay away and play to the objective. Once I had ten ardboyz  and a mega boss  set up as a shield wall protecting an objective held by my war chanter. He had a unit of wrath mongers and a unit blood warriors on me. I refused to attack him and made enough saves to keep him out for the rest of the game. 

I hated it, waaaaaggggghhhhhh! But the  victory and his expression were great. 

2 hours ago, sporadicMike said:

I try to ignore them, by trying to stay away and play to the objective. Once I had ten ardboyz  and a mega boss  set up as a shield wall protecting an objective held by my war chanter. He had a unit of wrath mongers and a unit blood warriors on me. I refused to attack him and made enough saves to keep him out for the rest of the game. 

Depending on how long you are going to be in combat this kind of doesn't pay out. Yes they get the extra attack but if you strike first it's just an attack they would have made anyway. Also if you have to fight them for a second round that's just attacks he isn't making. The combat front can mean this isn't strictly true but at least slamming the wrathmongers with your +1 attack removes the buff from his bloodwarriors as well as removing their damage potential.

19 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

It's intersting, I suggest to put 2x5 brutes into one unit of 10 . You have more benefit from 2 warchanter, in the same turn you can buff with them mk and 10 brutes!! You can remove wirdnob for grot shaman and with that points remove 3 gruntas for another unit of brutes! I love that:)

Oh I see! I'll have to try that eventually! 

12 hours ago, sporadicMike said:

I should try to use a unit or two of 'ardboyz in 1k to see how it works out. It does sound like a good solution!

9 hours ago, Malakree said:

Depending on how long you are going to be in combat this kind of doesn't pay out. Yes they get the extra attack but if you strike first it's just an attack they would have made anyway. Also if you have to fight them for a second round that's just attacks he isn't making. The combat front can mean this isn't strictly true but at least slamming the wrathmongers with your +1 attack removes the buff from his bloodwarriors as well as removing their damage potential.

Yeah warthmongers feel like a unit you can't really ignore. But hopefully he wont r oll as well and kill my duders instantly next time either!

4 hours ago, Filie said:

I should try to use a unit or two of 'ardboyz in 1k to see how it works out. It does sound like a good solution!

I find that a unit of 20/30 with 10-20 shields is what you want. At 10 they don't really do much, you don't get the advantage out of mystic shield, they don't cover the space and they are quickly reduced to an irrelevant unit. At 20 models you have 20 wounds with a 3+ and 6++ saves, you stack these at the back of the unit and put your Dual Wield or Two Hander models at the front. This gives you all the benefits of both weapon load outs, you essentially have 10 Ardboyz with combat weapons protected by 10 with shields, then at 30 you go up to 15/15 or 20/10. It gives you an incredibly tanky unit that can hold a large amount of space and still has solid damage output.

Wrathmongers are 4/4+/3+/-1/1 while an Ardboy fighting a wrathmonger with a 2hander is at 3/4+/3+/-1/1.

Considering that a unit of Ardboyz becomes a pretty huge threat to a unit of wrathmongers.

2 hours ago, Skumbaagh said:

80 points for the new warscroll with 4 (elite) ardboys. How do they fit in? Removing 10 ardboyz for this smaller unit to fit in something more expensive?  What are your thoughts? 

My current list fits them in quite nicely. Roughly I have

MBMC

warchanter

weirdnob

10 brutes

2x 5 Brutes 

2x 3 Gore Gruntas 

10 ard boyz

ironfist

with the Ironskullz I am looking at dropping the Ardboyz, adding a warchanter and rolling the two Gore grunta units into one. The two warchanter can buff the big units, the crusha can crush and the Ironskullz can hang back and do what the Ardboyz were meant to do

2 hours ago, shaywarren18 said:

Rules question: for the command ability "Waaagh!" or "Mighty Waaagh" , do you only roll for the bonus attacks in your combat phase.. or both combat phases?

Only your own. Most ironjawz abilities are like that, it's a personal gripe of mine.

I have been doing some brainstorming ahead of the AOS Tournament at PAX Unplugged in mid-November. After some hard lessons at my first tournament in GH2, I decided to go for a more board-control scenario-based list:

Megaboss on Maw Krusha - Ironclad/Metalrippa
Warchanter
Warchanter
Weirdnob Shaman
Moonclan Shaman
20 Ardboyz
5 Brutes 
5 Brutes
5 Brutes 
3 Gore Gruntas
3 Gore Gruntas 

2000/2000

The strategy would be to stretch my opponent across the table, deny them objectives and hit them in areas they do not wish to fight. MSU of Brutes has worked for me thus far, while two Warchanters, Casters and Gore Gruntas allow me to support any spot on the table, as well as force a breakthrough where I might need one

24 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

You mean 40 correct?

Actually I'm saying you take 10 models, 20 wounds, with shields. Then the other 10 models, or 20 wounds, with your choice of aggressive weapon.

Thus if you have half or less of the unit in combat then you get the full equivalent combat potential that you normally would while also getting all the advantages which come with a unit decked out with shields.

Anyone have any experience with a double maw-krusha list? I was looking at picking up a second, and have them backed up by gruntas with a couple grot shamans on wolves for support with the speed to keep up. Is this more of a fluffy/casual type approach to things, or possible list with potential?

7 hours ago, Brakkus said:

Anyone have any experience with a double maw-krusha list? I was looking at picking up a second, and have them backed up by gruntas with a couple grot shamans on wolves for support with the speed to keep up. Is this more of a fluffy/casual type approach to things, or possible list with potential?

The very first game on ironjawz under GHB2017 was streamed on the whtv twitch channel was Pete foley v Ben Johnson (FEC) Pete had a lovely double Mawkrusha list plus lots of brutes. It worked well and is worth a watch to see what they can do. 

I have a few times sat with my finger over the “buy” button for a second one but have yet to take the plunge.... but I’m tempted!

On 31/10/2017 at 5:10 PM, Malakree said:

Only your own. Most ironjawz abilities are like that, it's a personal gripe of mine.

Yeah it’s a real annoyance considering the “buffs” other armies get (just stand near a Tzangor shaman and get plus 1 to hit!!) but there we go. 

The frenzy if violence should be next hero phase, the Waagh as much as I’d like to say this should be I can see why +2 a for a who,e army for 2 combat phases may be seen as over powered sometimes ?

38 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Yeah it’s a real annoyance considering the “buffs” other armies get (just stand near a Tzangor shaman and get plus 1 to hit!!) but there we go.

The frenzy if violence should be next hero phase, the Waagh as much as I’d like to say this should be I can see why +2 a for a who,e army for 2 combat phases may be seen as over powered sometimes ?

Megaboss Blurrog says:

"Oy, wot's dis?  Propa Orks don't need no second turn to gets ta krumpin' da uvver gits!  If'n you'se need a whole nuvver turn to win da fight, den you'se ain't doin' it right.  If'n it's meant ta be a quick fight, den it would go quick!  If'n it goes fer a while, den you gets ta enjoy da fightin' even longa!

So I sez to ya grots, just krump da enemies as good as ya can, an' enjoy da fight while it's goin' on.  Waaagh!"

I do agree with you though.  It seems counter-intuitive when so many other boosts counts for the full game turn, but the wording is clear.

8 hours ago, tolstedt said:

I see.

Do you think we're going to get a warscroll update or faq to match the Shadespire's Ardboyz?  Making our shields apply to mortal wounds as well? 

I hope so, I think ironjawz as a whole needs a new battletome, there are a bunch of issues and just generally is showing it's age.

24 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

In keeping with other factions warchanters should be all units within 12" of a warchanter in the combat phase.

Waaagh! Should be "Until your next hero phase roll a d6 at the start of the combat phase..."

The other thing I want is for the weirdnob to get +1 to casting and unbindiny if he's in 12" of 10 orruks and have the option to inflict a mortal eounf on the an affected unit in order to increase that to +2.

So you can choose which unit takes it and can just to forgo the extra +1 in order to not take the wound. Despite it being only 1 not d3 you are guarenteed to get hit AND it also applies it on unbinding not just casting.

Oh and the footboss should cause all orruk units within 6" to reroll 1s to hit, not just brutes.

This will be my list that i intend to take to next local tournament.  Reason for taking 3 sets of herders is to sit on home objectives. I was thinking of having chukkas standing on objectives but i have learned that they do need protection and they seem to be safest moving behind my lines protected by ardboyz (while trying to keep safe distance to enemies). I find that often than not i cant leave artillery alone whitout protection because many armies around here have tools to go after them.

Im depating between having destroyer or meatripper on my general.

10 man brute squad has 2handed hackas while 5 man squads have dual choppas.

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Ironclad
- Artefact : Destroyer
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Units
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)