GHB17 - Let´s talk Chaos

Furious Robert

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if Prayers are now subject to rule of one in GHB17? That is going to affect Pestilens massively. Otherwise the 13" range thing won't really be a problem as you can spam the Furnace ones. We've already seen 5 rules of one, is that all there is? Or was it 6  or 7?

As most of the Pestilens Battle Traits and artifacts seem to revolve around prayers, logic would dictate we will get some new ones, but that's pure speculation at this point.

Edit* think I answered my own question, only two new rules of one supposedly, and we know both of these to be

5998c00347bf6_ScreenShot2017-08-20at10_46_46.png.1cafe56076115e7b3db138239a5327f9.png

I think the Pestilens ones are quite good if this is the case, means you can get off 5-6 prayers a turn, so that 6 should be coming up at least 2-3 times a game hopefully, and the +1 to prayer is pretty good as it effects your whole army. Suddenly spamming Wither is going to become a thing, and Lord Skrolk is going to be even better, at 100pts he is pretty good for his d6 mortal wounds output already.

It's easy to look at a little snippet and say meh, but once you see the whole picture with Allies, and Massive Regiments, and see the rest of the artifacts (and hopefully prayers) then it might be pretty good.

The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

6 hours ago, James McPherson said:

I think the Pestilens ones are quite good if this is the case, means you can get off 5-6 prayers a turn, so that 6 should be coming up at least 2-3 times a game hopefully, and the +1 to prayer is pretty good as it effects your whole army. Suddenly spamming Wither is going to become a thing, and Lord Skrolk is going to be even better, at 100pts he is pretty good for his d6 mortal wounds output already.

It's easy to look at a little snippet and say meh, but once you see the whole picture with Allies, and Massive Regiments, and see the rest of the artifacts (and hopefully prayers) then it might be pretty good.

The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Well it isn't quite that simple if you ask me. Yes furnace ones are spammable but the priest ones not so much. Turn 1 only furnaces can use their ability. Turn 2 it is very likely that furnaces again are the only prayers. Turn 3 you might finally have your plague priests/corruptor at 13 inch range of enemy but remember that they have to start the turn at that range (and clever opponent can play around). Turn 4 some of your priests/furnaces are most likely dead. This means that on each turn (if you got 2 furnaces) you get something like average 3-4 prayers (few on early turns more on later turns.) Which of course means that on average you get plague effect every second turn for total of 2-3 every game. But of course, until I see what every plague does I can't properly judge the full value of the ability. I like the ability but any thundertusk/etc. spam can shut it down quite easily.

EDIT. Nevermind I forgot one detail. Pestilent breath is spammable as you pick point on the battlefield not an enemy unit. So yes you can get multiple prayers a turn if you just belch around with your priests. But still, that's not exactly beneficial prayer and can backfire on your priests.

30 minutes ago, BaronBanana said:

I really hope there's more for basic chaos/slaves to darkness.  My old marauder army was one of the more fun armies I've ever played with

Yeh I'm not quite sure what the reveal was... I'm hoping that's the generals ability and he can pray to the gods every turn not just if he kills something. Slaves really need some support to do some damage. 

On 20/08/2017 at 4:56 PM, angrycontra said:

EDIT. Nevermind I forgot one detail. Pestilent breath is spammable as you pick point on the battlefield not an enemy unit. So yes you can get multiple prayers a turn if you just belch around with your priests. But still, that's not exactly beneficial prayer and can backfire on your priests.

yeah I'm not sure how much in the spirit of the game that is either. I probably wouldn't.

I see your point, turn one can only get off 3 prayers max with 2 furnaces if you use the 2 prayers per turn artifact on one of the furnaces. Then by turn two you need to be within 13". I think if you go second its possible to get 5 off , unless they are trying to avoid you. But that's when you just hammer them with Plague Claws. I think it's a cool deterrent for coming too close, and the Plagueclaws deter you from sitting back, so either way you are screwed. I understand it doesn't sound great on paper, but I think all these little 1% things will help to add up to something good.

I think we need new prayers though for it to really work well.

EDIT - you cant put the book artifact on the Furnace, so turn one you are only ever going to get off 2 prayers if you are lucky.

EDIT - You can put the book on the Furnace, it allows you to use the Priests Pestilent Prayers abilty, so that's one Prayer , then if you are a plague priest (the furnace has that keyword) then you can use that ability twice, then finally you can use Noxious Prayers as well, so you get 3 prayers. That on top of your other 3 or 4 priests' prayers suddenly means you are up to about 6-7 prayers a turn.

credit - Kiblam on YT

hmm wanted to play Host of Slaanesh + Chaos Knight and now... 

daemonettes are 90pts cheaper O.o well hmm that is a lot! also chaos knight are 80 pts cheaper

that is like additional 240 points for my list + new abilities.

i was hoping for HoS to get a bit better but this is kinda scary

25 minutes ago, angelust said:

Chaos Warriors min size 5...YES...

Varanguard dropping in points...yes

Archaon stuck at 700....noo 

Chaos Sorcerer Lord 160...Whaaaat....?

I personally think that Archaon is well pointed (comparing him to Stardrake, he's worth the now 140pts difference)

what is interesting is that now, there is only 40pts difference between a Chaos Sorcerer Lord and a Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore... I prefer the spell of the former, but the latter is so much more potent in battle, and a WHOLE lot more survivable - and can move around the board...

Chaos Sorcerer Lord 160...Whaaaat....?

My bet on this change is that previously the lord was the same points as the Magister, could take a mount (for free) had a better ability (reroll saves of 1 for unit within 10") and a seriously good spell with a casting value of only 5.

With the new "huge unit sizes" the lord has a good synergy potential.

Sigh I really wished someone would already reveal pestilens and skyre points. The main reason I'm worried about those points is that many battallions have gained about 50 point increase (or more) and I wouldn't be surprised to see pestilens follow this route. Problem is, that my army has 2 battallions which would mean that my army's gonna go up in points by 100. If pestilens doesn't get any (that are not some mass reg bonuses) point cuts then my army literally gets worse than it currently is, nevermind the new allegiance stuff. Heck I couldn't even fix situation by dropping priest because they cost 80 points.

Skyre is another concern. That skyre battallion may be bullcrap but funnily enough, it's the only thing keeping skyre afloat (besides it's full of fun abilities and stuff for skyre). If it goes up to crazy numbers, you ain't gonna see too many skyre players, rest assured on that.

1 hour ago, angrycontra said:

Sigh I really wished someone would already reveal pestilens and skyre points. The main reason I'm worried about those points is that many battallions have gained about 50 point increase (or more) and I wouldn't be surprised to see pestilens follow this route. Problem is, that my army has 2 battallions which would mean that my army's gonna go up in points by 100. If pestilens doesn't get any (that are not some mass reg bonuses) point cuts then my army literally gets worse than it currently is, nevermind the new allegiance stuff. Heck I couldn't even fix situation by dropping priest because they cost 80 points.

Skyre is another concern. That skyre battallion may be bullcrap but funnily enough, it's the only thing keeping skyre afloat (besides it's full of fun abilities and stuff for skyre). If it goes up to crazy numbers, you ain't gonna see too many skyre players, rest assured on that.

Yeah I saw the Skyre points...you might as well ingest a poison wind globe...

http://www.warhammer-forum.com/index.php?/topic/253031-épinglé-manuel-du-général-v2/

There you go...go nuts

Well pestilens got at least some reductions but couldn't help it: I had to drop 1 batallion. Still, not complete disaster on that I suppose. 

I love what they did to skyre engine covens. Giving them seperate pricing was perfect solution. However... that stupid warpfire thrower increase made me go 10 over 2000.... 10 points!!! Had to drop one weapon team to make up for it.

Archived