STOP WITH THE COMPLAINING AND REMEMBER WHY WE HAVE TGA.

Ben

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Perhaps I recur myself but remember: probably some GW employees read this forum. We had signs when they wrote in one of their warhammer-community posts that they are aware that death players need attention.If they read than they know what we expect of them. Than they can give us what we expect by selling that to us. If we don't complain from time to time we won't be getting what we need.

While I don't fully doubt they check out this forum from time to time, they know death needs attention because about every post on the AOS facebook page that GW makes is filled with "BUT WHAT ABOUT DEATH/AELVES/MY ARMY GAMESWORKSHOP" cancer posts.

Also I fully support this for all of the reasons you mention Ben. There are so many forums out there to join the voice of the moan and complain choir for Age of Sigmar.

The whole idea if it rubbing people the wrong way that someone would like to have a ******-fest free place to discuss their favorite hobby is a little confusing. I feel like this behavior is a hold out of the anti-GW crowd from fantasy. Those people that still haunt forums because they are still upset about the loss of Fantasy, but begrudging trudge along because they still have their models and can't really let go of WHF. I know this seems inflammatory, but honestly if all you want to do is moan and complain about AOS this really isn't the place for you.

I too am glad this issue was brought up.  I had noticed a shift in tone of the threads lately and wondered if it was just me.  I concur with Ben, we all come here to share in a game and community we pour our time into.  We should be able to keep it civil and know where the troll line is.

5 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

I too am glad this issue was brought up.  I had noticed a shift in tone of the threads lately and wondered if it was just me.  I concur with Ben, we all come here to share in a game and community we pour our time into.  We should be able to keep it civil and know where the troll line is.

I've been away from the forum for a bit and it definitely felt a bit different coming back to it. Nothing major just a subtle shift in tone, as you say. 

13 minutes ago, Auticus said:

Fair enough Ben.  Unfortunately, this is a little too much like warseer for my taste, where the ban hammer will be swung at whomever the moderators may not agree with.  Without any hard rules, "complaining" is just too vague.

Thank you for the time you put into the site.  It is appreciated.  You won't hear another peep from me, however.

Regards and good luck.

curly bill.png

Incredible that a few folks responding to this thread have completely illustrated Ben's point for him...

Also sad that people need instructions and guidelines on how to not moan/troll!

Anyway. Cheers for the post Ben, there's far more of us still loving both AoS and TGA than there is in the opposite camp. Keep doing what you're doing!

22 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Well, this just made me more uncomfortable and afraid to voice my opinion on things I think are wrong with AoS.

as ben said, unstructured moaning isn't productive, and tbh utterly pointless. 

if you have grief with something, create a replacement to the current process in your own thread don't take over something with complaints if people want to contribute they will.

"death is bad blah blah blah " unproductive and pointless.

"death isn't too strong I've found due to ,this, this this and that, in order to improve things it would be nice if gw did this this this and this ( obviously it cant be broken strong ) create profiles using templates, write rules etc --

this will be likely noted, proof?

chaos monsters, i started a thread about the vortexbeast. >> here ,<< mentioning the lack of capability with general chaos and some of the other monsters also, saying that the slaughterbrute was obviously khorne and the vortex beast tzeentch, and would likely see increased play by simply adding these marks, this wouldn't be game breaking, suggested some rules etc. this wasn't whiny in nature, complain ridden etc. just you know, saying "hey, this isn't the best, could you have a look?? this is what im suggesting..." 
lo and behold they added rules. well a mark.

at least, thats what I've taken from it 

I do admit that the mood in these forums has been somewhat negative lately. It's kinda funny, here I am waiting for ghb2 to drop and get those cool new abilities being all excited while some other people argue about army x sucking too hard despite the point and ability changes (which is silly at this point because we don't have the whole picture).

However, I kinda sympathise with some of the people who reacted negatively with opening post. I felt it was a bit aggressive in tone and actually the kind of message that doesn't attempt to soothe negative people but to provoke them by basically saying: "If you don't do like I say then you can git out!" Maybe this wasn't intention but I got that kind of vibe from the op.

I think we'll be in awe again with GH2017 which is released soon, this will stop the complaining for a half year orso.
Unfortunatly Ive noticed as a reseller myself that complaints start if the production or content for something even for a moment stops.
I feel that the recent discussions about the nature of the game directly come from how 40K is handled and seems to thake some of the limelight. However rightfully so I would say because AoS had recieved tons of love and this love is also empowered by the TGA forums.

However to all Id say, worry not, complain not but certainly share your ideas to improve the fun. I have issues with the Shooting phase in AoS. I have have issues with the double turn but other than that I think Age of Sigmar is a wonderful game that fits nicely between casual and fun play while still retaining enough depth for competative games. I also tend to provide or discuss possible solutions to create more fun by for example re-considering some of these core mechanics.

Cheers and have fun! We're all here because we love this game. Though some express their distain only on the forums by large because it's anonymous, it's a bit of the downside of forums in general.

It's the age old problem with the anonymity of the internet.

And the fact some hobbyists feel they are entitled to their hobby being more important, and so use this entitlement in well intentioned places such as this to educate us in what is wrong and why, GW in this case, is evil and bad!

I for one embrace a place like TGA because it is a celebration of what is great about the community and why we all spend inordinate amounts of time and money on fictional toy soldiers!

Also, what is the rush? Do people really expect everything to be released, fleshed out, reimagined and yes, perfectly balanced in such a short space of time?

All our fan favourites will get their time....in time :)

Think about how a post will be perseved and the audience reading it.

What kind of response do you want?

Is it constructive? 

Has common sense been engaged before pressing the button?

Ben has imagined something great here. Let's all do it justice by  treating it with the respect it deserves.

I come on TGA to find a forum section called "random talk", to say that I've missed you guys and the first thing I see is a capslock post from an owner. Gives me mixed feelings.

I think that a man should choose a side and be clear about it instead of leaving "deliberately vague" room to shift on your words. Either you are "in bed" with GW and your rule is absolute with everyone else who wants to express an opinion needing to look for a different place, or you let the unbiased third party (Gaz, Nez, whoever else not spending time in the HQ) moderate and monitor this place without you posting "yourcapsison" warnings. I'd much rather have you rule from the shadow instead of make a public ugliness like this one. 

I respect you for your work and the place you created, but I don't trust you just like I don't trust GW for reasons known well. So well that they do not need constructive criticism, suggestive feedback or other fancy words you all hide behind. It's been beaten to death and fell on deaf ears countless times. Maybe that's why people in the hobby moved to moaning instead of suggestions. Because no one listened. And yes, tbh GW does a better job pretending they care nowadays (a much much better job) but it took how many years? The aftertaste might still be there with those who moans. 

You want constructive? Kick a person who insults or profanes or harasses or hurts someone. Don't kick someone who is hurting themselves and lonely inside but do not know how to get it all out. Keep in mind that GW gave others a universe which they used to escape to from this one and that one might've been better for someone with difficult lives. Then GW took it all away out of greed (yeah yeah business shmizness. All business = greed) and left a lot of unresolved closure with many people which is now a rotting wound looking uglier than a Blightking.  

Btw, saying "SCE again" is not trolling and does not need arguments to defend it. Go to an app and compare the amount of batallions for SCE to the amount of batallions to Seraphon. I personally have zero feelings towards SCE because the army has less character than my chair, but every time I see a new post saying "Hey guys we got absolutely new cool super minis that are the same toons that dont feel cold wearing fur pelts" I wonder why not so many other cool stuff that can happen in the Mortal Realms. 

I kinda feel bad for writing this but TGA was the last place for me where I felt happy reading about the hobby without drama. Where's the self-report button...?

And this comes from someone who would much rather make stuff up and play toys with other grown men than discuss other grown mens inability to play nice with others. 

Since we're on the subject, @Ben, I can't wait for your KO Tactical Pt3. Any ETA? 

glad this was brought up! ive always wanted to keep positive even with my criticisms of the game. theres no use in complaining about something if you can't come up with a reason it should be fixed.

i still cant believe it seems this hard for people to police themselves, isnt it common sense? we can read volumes of rules for a game with plastic army men but can't figure out how to be constructive about our hobby?

going forward i hope the tone changes! i introduce new players to this forum all the time and they never played other minis games so theres none of the baggage. i dont want to send them to the chaos realm, if you catch my drift.

I always appreciate Auticus' input whether he was positive or "negative" about a subject.  Kind'a bummed that this post drove him away

Hopefully he changes his mind.   

This site really did help me get into AoS and I am glad to be a part of it but I have to say that compared to BoLs, I have never seen a negative or trollish post/comment on here by that measuring stick.

1 hour ago, Rhellion said:

I've specifically stayed away lately because of the mood around here lately. Looking forward to a change of pace.

Yup, hate to say it but me too. Kinda missed it but with limited time now for forums I'm glad to see this one come back onto the reading pile.?

Dear Ben

May I suggest with respect you remove the shouting in the post title. It overshadows the important message in your post.

I've never had a problem with negativity on this site although I don't frequent every forum and every thread.

I love this site and there is so much exciting stuff happening right now: GH17 :D, Blight War :D, Skirmish :D, Path to Glory :D, Firestorm :D. There has never been a better time to get into Warhammer. If people are being overly negative at such an exciting time I can understand why some may need to be asked to move on.

(Now, I just need to finish off my last few Silver Tower models so I can get onto starting a Skirmish warband...)

I think the issue is where do you draw the line?  People can be positive sometimes and not agree with everything a company does; that's called being a customer and being critical of the product.  Wanting to silence any comments that don't fit the "narrative" that everything is sunshine and rainbows is a poor way to handle things.  As someone that has been in this hobby since 1997 I feel that I don't have to like everything GW does; if I find fault with something why shouldn't I say "This idea sucks"?

In the end this is a private board and can be whatever it needs to be, and it seems that the majority are okay with not having any real criticism.  But this does feel a little too much like "We only want positive posts, no negative posts are allowed therefore nothing is wrong" kind of thing.  Reporting a post should IMHO be only for actual flaming/trolling, not "I disagree with this person and they are being negative" which smacks too much of an echo chamber and trying to just shout down dissenting opinions.

2 hours ago, Ben said:

'the allies rules are just for commercial reasons'

is clearly a post that is purely a moan/troll and has no need to be posted. GW are a business every single release, action, post or anything they do is a commercial reason .  Posting this in reply to a GHB2 debate is a troll post  

My apologies for that. I did not mean to troll with that post, but in hindsight I clearly should not have made the post at all. I will try to give future posts more thought to avoid coming across as trolling, as I thoroughly enjoy this site and don't want to spoil it for anybody.

I think the lack of big new releases over the past few months has had a negative impact on the community in general, people get antsy when they feel like their hobby isn't getting the attention it deserves. Hopefully that's about to change. I personally am always excited to see what new things people are doing with aos but my focus has always been narrative and themed armies.

Totally agree, stopped posting a long while back after getting frustrated at constant complaining about the same things. I also get into debates easily and don't want too. So boring... 

AOS is a big tool box do what you want. 

Don't like the realeases, tough. Something you'll like will come along, chin up. 

Updates on old armies? maybe but it'll be a new approach not old world. Its a new world and game. 

More Stormcast?! Yeah obviously

Death? You know it will happen

I could go on, honestly why even play the game if it annoys you that much? 

Echoing what others have said criticism is fine but don't beat the same drum to death, be constructive, use common sense. Take a step back and remeber its a game you choose to play. 

And frankly i think it is sunshine and rainbows in the last year. No companies perfect but they're damn well trying to produce a fun product. 

I'll go back to lurking and see if anything changes. 

Thanks Ben

This was sorely needed. There had got so many negative oppressive posts on here. I didn't know how to deal with it.

I think more activd community moderation by reporting inappropriate posts, together with moderators reviewing these is a good way to go.

Hopefully we can keep the great atmosphere that made everyone come here in the first place alive.

There's been a few posts on here stating things like 'a forum needs both sides of a discussion or it becomes stale'. I think the point is that too many are coming here purely to moan. Moaning is not debate. If you've got something that's annoying you, stop, think about it, and then come to TGA with a constructive discussion about how the issue might be improved.

Moaning is something friends should have to suffer. Their faces glaze over and yet they listen to our troubles because they're friends. Any long, rambling moan on a forum is just going to make complete strangers scroll past or, worse, turn off. Some posters have mentioned they'd thought about leaving recently. It'd be sad to lose them from this awesome community. 

Thanks. 

Steve. 

Archived