Season of war: Firestorm

Arkiham

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Can the campaign be used with Skirmish or is this for larger armies?

It can be used at any scale you wish

It uses muster points to determine army size but it's up to the players to agree how many points a muster point equates to. We are leaving it to the players to agree before each game but you can easily set your own rules for that

The Great Cities allegiance abilities are still legal for matched play and still don’t cost any points. The only change is that you won’t be able to stack the allegiance abilities from Firestorm with any others apart from the Grand Allegiance abilities. For instance, a force of Dispossessed could either choose the Dispossessed allegiance abilities from the General’s Handbook 2017 OR the Order allegiance abilities and the Hammerhal allegiance abilities. They could not take the Dispossessed and Hammerhal allegiance abilities together.

Hi everyone. I really can't figure out whether or not to get Firestorm. Skirmish was a hit but Path to glory failed hard in my area. However we did make our own mapcampaign a year back that was lots of fun for a couple of month untill it became clear that the system we created was also killing the buzz for unfortunate players and in the end a bunch of players quit, which effectively killed off our mapcampaign.

So before diving into yet another AOS 'sorry 40k gets all the miniattention at the moment' release I got a few questions.

1. Has anyone actually tried Firestorm out? How does the campaign flow?

How many games does it last? How do you figure out who has to fight who?

2. A campaign for merely four players seem a little too few. Would it make sense to divide players into teams based on their grand alliance? If so one would also have to figure a system out as to who plays the actual game of AOS.

3.  From reading a review my understanding is that each dominion card has a muster value which is equal to 1 muster point = 100 matched play points. But how many points does a game swing between?

4. Lots of my players (not me though) a fans of Warhammer total war. Can firestorm in any way create an experience similar to total war? 

5.  If we decided to eave the new alliance abilities from firestorm out of our games would it break the game or the experience?

thanks in advance

21 minutes ago, Auticus said:

Combining a failure to like Path to Glory with killing the buzz for players in a map campaign leads me to a few assumptions that I'd say your playerbase will not enjoy Firestorm for similar reasons.

Fair assumption just keep in mind that we are NOT competive minded power players and do enjoy narrative gaming though most of our games still use points.

I believe the mapcampaign failed due to a dysfunctional rule and turn system. To make it short players were only able to attack adjacent areas and the result was that a few players were cleansed off the map as they lost against the same opponent many weeks in a row. Eventually they quit and that led to huge areas suddenly left unprotected.

What did work was the narrative surrounding the campaign and the whole idea about having a physical map for everyone to follow. 

@Auticus really agree with the above. To me not using points is always an option but also requires some good social contacts in order to make it happen. The moment your working with a larger gaming community (required for Campaigns) without doubt you will not be everybodies best friend there. For example I don't know the specifics of all my friends armies at the club. While one could dive into that and make some sort of interview a lot of the fun also occurs when your somewhat suprised by what they have taken.

To date, all points add is remove another 'boundry of unclearity'. Even for non-Matched play I believe adding costs is removing time required to discuss armies pre-battle. For whatever reason, 40K's  8th design team seems to understand this concept a little better as the AoS design team as even at the base of it all they can use Power Points as opposed to Costs that give a rough hint at a balanced approach. Which isn't to say 40K's 8th is perfect, again, it just removes time required to discuss armies pre-battle/pre-gaming.

As a result, most store/club-based games are actually growing campaigns, who start out at 500 points and work their way up to 2000. This is clear and means gaming or even narrative additional rules can occur the moment players enter the store or club with their armies.
What I hope is that Games Workshop will eventually embrace this aswell. There is a big difference in AoS playability with 500 to 2000 point armies. For example, I believe that Allegiances are best used at a minimum of 1000 points. If a Campaign (book) from Games Workshop would flesh out this concept with additions that keep the 500 to 1000 point games more interesting up untill 2000 I'd be all over it. Not because I want to play smaller games but because players have to start out somewhere and a Campaign is the best social excuse for it. To nobodies suprise the same is very true for 40K aswell. It's designs start to work really well at 2000 points.

Firestorm seems to go by the idea that most players will have multiple armies. As posted before, I think it's fantastic for larger Campaigns (Veteran Gamers) but I do not believe it will add new players to the game quickly because it simply said doesn't seem to be set up for that. Even in order to get the most out of the Firestorm Grand Allegiance "bonus rules" your best of using mixed armies. To put this in context it seems like a great supplement for ex-Warhammer Fantasy players actually, more as Age of Sigmar's single Allegiance design that has been fleshed out since GH2016 and is still carried through with GH2017.
The result of this is that Im not suprised that Firestorm will not be picked up by every Age of Sigmar player. The meat and bones added are akin to that of 40K Apocalypse style gaming, to me Age of Sigma's community isn't ready for that yet.

12 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Hi everyone. I really can't figure out whether or not to get Firestorm. Skirmish was a hit but Path to glory failed hard in my area. However we did make our own mapcampaign a year back that was lots of fun for a couple of month untill it became clear that the system we created was also killing the buzz for unfortunate players and in the end a bunch of players quit, which effectively killed off our mapcampaign.

So before diving into yet another AOS 'sorry 40k gets all the miniattention at the moment' release I got a few questions.

1. Has anyone actually tried Firestorm out? How does the campaign flow?

How many games does it last? How do you figure out who has to fight who?

2. A campaign for merely four players seem a little too few. Would it make sense to divide players into teams based on their grand alliance? If so one would also have to figure a system out as to who plays the actual game of AOS.

3.  From reading a review my understanding is that each dominion card has a muster value which is equal to 1 muster point = 100 matched play points. But how many points does a game swing between?

4. Lots of my players (not me though) a fans of Warhammer total war. Can firestorm in any way create an experience similar to total war? 

5.  If we decided to eave the new alliance abilities from firestorm out of our games would it break the game or the experience?

thanks in advance

1. It is pretty loose form - anyone can play anyone, you can decide for yourself how long you want it to end/the victory conditions although it gives you guidelines

2. You could easily divide into grand alliances. You don't even need to come up with rules about who fights this time (unless you want) as there is no reason why you couldn't have multiple battles going on

3 the muster points can be used to represent as many points ad you wish and can be changed from game to game. The weekend we spent playing it we had 4 games and the swings were a maximum of 2 muster points but you could get much higher if you are unlucky and the campaign progresses

4 can't help there don't play that

5 no it is entirely optional and we didn't use them but had a great time

Picked up my copy yesterday and am very happy with it having read through the rules and new fluff:)

Issue im running into is that I have more than 4 players wanting to play in a campaign and I can see by the smallish map size,its pretty much made for 4 players tops.

Anyone have any ideas on how or if it can be expanded past the 4 player cap?

5 hours ago, Thostos said:

Picked up my copy yesterday and am very happy with it having read through the rules and new fluff:)

Issue im running into is that I have more than 4 players wanting to play in a campaign and I can see by the smallish map size,its pretty much made for 4 players tops.

Anyone have any ideas on how or if it can be expanded past the 4 player cap?

I looked at the box in the store yesterday and I swear it had something about just using multiple kits to get larger campaigns in. 

19 minutes ago, rokapoke said:

I looked at the box in the store yesterday and I swear it had something about just using multiple kits to get larger campaigns in. 

Yeah,,thats what im seeing too,,im thinking since its not a true map campaign that we can just use multiple copies for the components and have cross map challenges allowed.It doesnt matter too much if two players(or more depending on how many groups of 4 players there are) control the same territory as the zones only represent additional upgrades to a players forces.There are the 3 strategic zones that if a player controlls all three,then they can win with sudden death if they have the artifact as well.Still I dont see two players getting that all together at the same time.

2 hours ago, Auticus said:

If I wanted to expand it past four players I'd simply have each side be a faction of armies.  Then put multiple players into one faction.

How would you deal with the cards then?..,as in what "hand" would each player use to determine their armies size for battles?.Would they share a hand or each have their own hand?

On 15/10/2017 at 11:57 PM, Sheriff said:

also it seems each player needs to be a different grand alliance? I read it today on flight and was surprised by that. 

No they can be whatever they like (although the four faction envelopes are themed by grand alliance it specifically notes in the book that the players armies do not need to match them)

Archived