Season of war: Firestorm

Arkiham

5 hours ago, Auticus said:

Rock and hard place.  If they want to sell Firestorm units, making it narrative-only is a big gamble.  Making it matched play seems to be where the sales are at.

It’ll be interesting to see if TO’s allow the rules in Matched Play tournaments. I hope they’ll support it. 

On a side note, i’m disappointed not to see Monstrous Arcanum in any of city builds. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

It’ll be interesting to see if TO’s allow the rules in Matched Play tournaments. I hope they’ll support it. 

On a side note, i’m disappointed not to see Monstrous Arcanum in any of city builds. 

There will be event organizers that are very close to GW, and will have no choice.

As I want this no where near matched play, its a shame but I think we will see a bit of a tournament split. I'll attend those that don't use this, but it's sad that it's come to this for me personally

11 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

We've not seen the full rules yet, as far as I'm aware. So I'm going to be holding off on any judgement on where and when the rules should be utilised.  I am looking forward to the release though  of course I do like to play a mixed Orruk force so I would be. 

Yeah  thats why it sounds great to me. I got into this game with the hope of replicating my Total War favourite army - a mix of spiders, forest goblins, squigs, night goblins, trolls. 

2 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

I'm interested but not fully onboard yet. I will most probably buy it though.

I just don't know how much use I'll get out of it. 

I was thinking the same until I saw the price! €55,-! Rules addition for map campaign is good! But the fact it works with reusable stickers means you will be stuck with same map over and over.... but of a let down to be honest. 

Currently I'm thinking of re-using the old tiled map campaign set because I am excited about a campaign like that! 

Hey,

My friends at Age of Sigbrah released a Firestorm review podcast on Saturday, so be sure to check that out on iTunes or here; https://ageofsigbrah.podbean.com/e/episode-47-1506154581/ - I'm pretty sure Gary added an addendum regarding a potential stipulation on the allegiance abilities, however going from some of the later Community posts last week it does seem as though GW fully intend for this to be part of Matched Play.

I do kinda wish there had been slightly more focus on the awesome campaign system in the build up to this and not on the new allegiance abilities and their interaction with Matched Play. Even the actual physical product warrants discussion IMO as its great (both aesthetically and quality wise). It's like the main point of the product has almost been overlooked to a point.

It'll be interesting to see whether GW allow this stuff at the GT Finals in a couple of weeks time. I think my personal preference would be that this kinda stuff was limited within the setting of the campaign itself.

Like I say though, it's a really really cool campaign system and I'm looking forward to giving it a go!

24 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

It'll be interesting to see whether GW allow this stuff at the GT Finals in a couple of weeks time. I think my personal preference would be that this kinda stuff was limited within the setting of the campaign itself.

Like I say though, it's a really really cool campaign system and I'm looking forward to giving it a go!

But what if it was GW's plan all along to introduce these allegiance abilities, and therefore for example the orcs and goblins destruction allegiance abilities in GH2017 were not quite  as powerful as they were meant to be until Firestorm (and forthcoming releases...) came out? WHat I mean is that these Firestorm abilities are the solution, not the problem. 

But yeah campaigns are always great fun. I remember doing one as a child in about 1994 with hexagonal tiles, not really having a clue what I was doing. 

My big concern is that we're starting to walk along the path of "need a bazillion expansions to play a game" again which is ultimately one of the biggest issues 40k had.  We're now looking at transporting - Battletome, Generals Handbook & Firestorm (rules might be needed under some circumstances).  I'm more than happy to lug specific expansions round if I'm playing a particular flavour of game (Skirmish, Path to Glory etc), but not sure about having to have expansions to play a matched play event.

I'll still pick it up and am really looking forward to running a map campaign :)

I see that they made a mistake on the rules that come with Tempests Eye so there is a replacement download available, which for some reason does not include IronWeld on the list of factions, so now the content of the box does not match the allegiance <palmface>. I shouldnt really mock, ive made worse mistakes at work HA!

2 hours ago, Thebiggesthat said:

That's entirely down to GW though Chris. There is zero need to make this fully matched play compatible other than greed. And I know, I know, it's a business. But it's turned something really cool, an awesome campaign box, to a contentious issue and an echo of the GW that we thought was gone.

Greed? They are finally fleshing out the place of humans, elves, and dwarves in the mortal realms and matching their ascendant cities with cool new rules (which I do not think are particularly strong, btw) and you call that greed? People don't even have to buy the book to use the allegiance abilities (they have been posted all around the net by reviewers). 

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

My big concern is that we're starting to walk along the path of "need a bazillion expansions to play a game" again which is ultimately one of the biggest issues 40k had.  We're now looking at transporting - Battletome, Generals Handbook & Firestorm (rules might be needed under some circumstances).  I'm more than happy to lug specific expansions round if I'm playing a particular flavour of game (Skirmish, Path to Glory etc), but not sure about having to have expansions to play a matched play event.

I'll still pick it up and am really looking forward to running a map campaign :)

Why do you need to "lug" the firestorm expansion around to use its allegiance abilities? Why don't you just type it up with you army list? They are literally shorter than the post you just typed.

3 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

So buy everything twice then? That's the solution. Oh, and a tablet. I have a Pixel XL and that's not big enough to comfortably read a rulebook.

I came to this forum today because I am really excited about Firestorm and all I am seeing is silly complaints. Come on guys. These aren't real problems! Are you seriously suggesting that GW is making you buy a new tablet?!?:) 

21 minutes ago, Jeff Egan said:

Greed? They are finally fleshing out the place of humans, elves, and dwarves in the mortal realms and matching their ascendant cities with cool new rules (which I do not think are particularly strong, btw) and you call that greed? People don't even have to buy the book to use the allegiance abilities (they have been posted all around the net by reviewers). 

Why do you need to "lug" the firestorm expansion around to use its allegiance abilities? Why don't you just type it up with you army list? They are literally shorter than the post you just typed.

I came to this forum today because I am really excited about Firestorm and all I am seeing is silly complaints. Come on guys. These aren't real problems! Are you seriously suggesting that GW is making you buy a new tablet?!?:) 

You have to have to book to use them in competitive play I would assume.

One of the biggest complaints with GWs other game system was the amount of books that were needed. This is going the same way, it's a legitimate complaint.

1 hour ago, Thebiggesthat said:

You have to have to book to use them in competitive play I would assume.

One of the biggest complaints with GWs other game system was the amount of books that were needed. This is going the same way, it's a legitimate complaint.

I have never been to a tournament where a player demanded to see books when I had some other version of the rules (army list, warscroll cards, etc.) If carrying the books are a serious concern for you, you should contact your T.O. I really don't understand this complaint of "too many books." It reads to me like "too much support for a game I enjoy" twisted from a positive to a negative.

It was one of, if not the biggest complaint in last ed 40k. And acknowledged by GW.

Why would I complain for too much support? Please don't try and twist my words to dismiss them. I have two gripes with what should have been an awesome release. One is the addition of free (points wise) additional rules, that throw out balance less than a month after the annual game changing book. And the other is that if I want to go to a tournament, I potentially have to take another book. People telling me to download it from the internet or write it down are missing the point. 

This place seems to jump on people that aren't 100% happy, I love the game and love the community, but healthy discussion is a must.

7 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

It was one of, if not the biggest complaint in last ed 40k. And acknowledged by GW.

Only that the situation in 40k was quite different, to say the least. Here in AoS I never saw a situation in which you have to carry about lots of books, basically you just need your scrolls which you can show and use via the app actually.

Archived