Season of war: Firestorm

Arkiham

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Xasz said:

I'd be surprised if Firestorm-abilities make their way into competitive/tournament games.

They'll always be taken if allowed to and there is no consideration whatsoever. (on top of adding another layer to the already wonky list building process)

For club games it will be the same as always. Talk to your opponent, if he's cool with it, bring it on.

Small consideration, no special characters PERIOD in city armys. So if you wanted to give archaon, Allarielle, Nagash, or Gordrak the abilities you're SOL.

1 minute ago, Burf said:

Small consideration, no special characters PERIOD in city armys. So if you wanted to give archaon, Allarielle, Nagash, or Gordrak the abilities you're SOL.

All of them are already rare sights on the table.

I like Firestorm, good quality. But there is something I don't get. When choosing an area to fight, why would you not always fight in the three strategic areas and the two areas enabling you to forge the sceptre? You gain more glory points and advantages. It seems that all the other areas are "just there". What's the point of fighting over the other areas?

Grimbok

2 hours ago, Grimbok said:

I like Firestorm, good quality. But there is something I don't get. When choosing an area to fight, why would you not always fight in the three strategic areas and the two areas enabling you to forge the sceptre? You gain more glory points and advantages. It seems that all the other areas are "just there". What's the point of fighting over the other areas?

Grimbok

I am also going thru the rules and didn't find any clarification how to choose the place when you are fighting battles. Is it always a random place?

Anyone going to play the campaign with more than 4 players?

and another interesting thing I have discovered is the colors of each city which should correspond to the army. In Graywater Fastness example picture you can see a duardin with a banner of GWF, but disspossesed are not part of that army...

3 hours ago, Grimbok said:

Grimbok

I think the main reason would be to build up your domain deck, as soon as you take one of those areas you become a target and those with more territories will have more domain cards and so probably be able to field larger armies and have more bonuses going into combat, I'm sure some will try a rush strat only to be wiped out by players who've built up their empire more.

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

Did the Phoenicum in fact get cut from the book?

It wasn't in the preview. If one of your units gets destroyed in the combat phase, you can re-roll 1 to hit for that phase, if two or more of your units get destroyed, also add 2 to the bravery for battleshock tests to your units for that turn.

I bought the box and I have to say that I'm impressed. It actually feels like a campaign system that is possible to play through. Also the domain building feels nice. only alteration that I have been thinking is that maybe the size could be set to 50-80pt/muster point to make the games bit faster and get more games played as our group have difficult schedules.

2 hours ago, Jamopower said:

only alteration that I have been thinking is that maybe the size could be set to 50-80pt/muster point to make the games bit faster and get more games played as our group have difficult schedules.

It definitely encourages you to do this. You can agree with your opponent before each game how you want it to translate - it can work sell for skirmish games too.

18 hours ago, meet.the.doctor said:

I am also going thru the rules and didn't find any clarification how to choose the place when you are fighting battles. Is it always a random place?

You either agree between you or you roll off and the winner decides

I ordered mine through my local FLGS.  Combine that with finishing my first painted model in 8 months, and my hobby excitement is higher than it has been in nearly a year!  I might even be able to negotiate with the wife to splurge on our budget and grab one of those new bundles... Maybe....

I really hope these bundles will be available in the coming years.  All three of them interest me and fit my dream armies.

3 hours ago, meet.the.doctor said:

New Allegianances have only new add-on abilities over the ones of regular Allegiance. No new traits or items. You just get a bonus trait if you decide to theme your army. That's it.

My army is Moonclan mixed with Spiderfang (Destruction allegiance currently) - is that sufficient to have the new allegiance? I'm not sure what the 'theme' is supposed to be other than working for some big orc dude in the fire realm. 

Having gone through it quickly at the shop I think this is the ideal product for Narrative gamers first and foremost. I too see mixed comments on the last pages and all it really allows you to do is add another level of depth that makes sence from a narrative standpoint. Cities, great combined armies fighting out great wars.

So all in all I really like this product but also have to say I did not buy it because I simply don't think I have a big enough player group yet here to fully enjoy it. The product itself is full of great content though and reminds me a bit of 40K's Apocalypse supplements as I feel most of these rules are awesome to use in bigger multiplayers where players join, add these rules and basically speed up the game while playing giant battles with extremely potent abilities.

In essence I believe larger local playing groups will truely enjoy it. It has the potential to be used at larger events aswell but I will also say that it does not seem to be designed with competative and completely balanced intent (though most non-Matched Play rules for AoS doesn't seem specifically designed that way, so that's nothing new).

Cheers,

11 minutes ago, Killax said:

Having gone through it quickly at the shop I think this is the ideal product for Narrative gamers first and foremost. I too see mixed comments on the last pages and all it really allows you to do is add another level of depth that makes sence from a narrative standpoint. Cities, great combined armies fighting out great wars.

So all in all I really like this product but also have to say I did not buy it because I simply don't think I have a big enough player group yet here to fully enjoy it. The product itself is full of great content though and reminds me a bit of 40K's Apocalypse supplements as I feel most of these rules are awesome to use in bigger multiplayers where players join, add these rules and basically speed up the game while playing giant battles with extremely potent abilities.

In essence I believe larger local playing groups will truely enjoy it. It has the potential to be used at larger events aswell but I will also say that it does not seem to be designed with competative and completely balanced intent (though most non-Matched Play rules for AoS doesn't seem specifically designed that way, so that's nothing new).

Cheers,

I agree with all this, the new free allegance abilities are Matched play, which I still maintain is mental. 

4 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

My army is Moonclan mixed with Spiderfang (Destruction allegiance currently) - is that sufficient to have the new allegiance? I'm not sure what the 'theme' is supposed to be other than working for some big orc dude in the fire realm. 

Moonclan with Spiderfang both can benefit from Stoneklaw Allegiance. It is not a NEW Allegiance it is just an add-on over existing allegiance. The Stoneklaw one needs also Firestorm book to use the stratagems. Of course the rules say that you can use the stratagems outside of firestorm, but they are designed so you could counter them with Firestorm rules. So if you are competitive only don't bother with additional abilities. None will allow them in matched play I think (at least for Destruction). They are too much related to Firestorm.

Just now, meet.the.doctor said:

Moonclan with Spiderfang both can benefit from Stoneklaw Allegiance. It is not a NEW Allegiance it is just an add-on over existing allegiance. The Stoneklaw one needs also Firestorm book to use the stratagems. Of course the rules say that you can use the stratagems outside of firestorm, but they are designed so you could counter them with Firestorm rules. So if you are competitive only don't bother with additional abilities. None will allow them in matched play I think (at least for Destruction). They are too much related to Firestorm.

Okay cool, thanks. 

GW did confirm on facebook that they are for use in all matched play too, not just Firestorm campaigns. 

37 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Okay cool, thanks. 

GW did confirm on facebook that they are for use in all matched play too, not just Firestorm campaigns. 

I know but the Stoneklaw abillity let's you roll 2 strategems and choose one. Stratagems can be used outside of Firestorm. BUT in the rules of Firestorm they can be countered by other players using their Stratagems (or different mechanics only on Firestorm - I don't have the book with me, but remember that you could counter them) so could be treated as imbalance only for one GA. That is my opinion ofc.

1 minute ago, meet.the.doctor said:

I know but the Stoneklaw abillity let's you roll 2 strategems and choose one. Stratagems can be used outside of Firestorm. BUT in the rules of Firestorm they can be countered by other players using their Stratagems (or different mechanics only on Firestorm - I don't have the book with me, but remember that you could counter them) so could be treated as imbalance only for one GA. That is my opinion ofc.

Not sure I understand but I'll buy Firestorm and research further. Thanks. 

Archived