New Generals Handbook Points Nighthaunt Army Preview

RuneBrush

The community team have just put up the Nighthaunt list being used in tomorrows Twitch game.  Looks like point tweaks all over the shop, coming in at 2160 at the current points levels.  Also there are 7 hero models, so I'm not sure if it's a narrative (with points) or Allies allows you to bypass the hero limit?

Allegiance: Death

Heroes
Vampire Lord (140)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)

Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Units
2 x Bat Swarms (80)
3 x Vargheists (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)

Total: 2160/2000

The list I am seeing on the website is different than the one you posted (have they changed it?):

3x Cairn Wraith (@60 each) = 180
3x Tomb Banshee (@80 each) = 240
3 units x 6 Spirit Hosts (@240 each) = 720
1 unit x 6 Vargheists (@320) = 320
3 units x 5 Hexwraiths (@160 each) = 480

Total: 1940

The list I am seeing on the website is different than the one you posted (have they changed it?)

It looks like someone pointed out that there were 7 heros and asked if it was a new change in GHB 17. Turns out it was a mistake in list design, so it got changed back.

2 hours ago, Gotrek said:

Reading the stuff from warhammer community today (yesterday? Night shift makes time and days weird) mentions a command trait for +1 wound and an artifact to become a caster. So I'm curious what else nighthaunt might get. 

Spotted that too - very interesting if we're able to create casters from heroes!

28 minutes ago, deynon said:

one you can yet create, but has to be the general.

Not quite sure I understand that?  The Midnight Tome is an artefact from the looks of it so could be given to any hero (unless I've mis-understood your comment, in which case sorry!)

1 minute ago, RuneBrush said:

Not quite sure I understand that?  The Midnight Tome is an artefact from the looks of it so could be given to any hero (unless I've mis-understood your comment, in which case sorry!)

in mean in theactualGH you yet havethe ability to create a mage (or improve one). So it's not something so new. Moreover if an artofact you need battalions to have more anyway

27 minutes ago, deynon said:

in mean in theactualGH you yet havethe ability to create a mage (or improve one). So it's not something so new. Moreover if an artofact you need battalions to have more anyway

Didn't realise there were existing ways of magiking up a mage (ho ho).  I expect it'll be a bit more useful in GHb17 as you're going to have more spells available to equip your wizards.  You are limited to using each artefact once now too, so picking the right hero is going to be key for this artefact.  Sadly Death don't appear to be getting any new battalions in the new book, but there may be an outside chance some of the start collecting battalions might get points (although I'm not holding my breath on that)

Soulblight ability is deathless minions on 6 inch range and ability to choose one of the 4 bloodlines. One bloodline gives you hit rerolls of 1 (all bloodlines are army wide), another gives +2 speed and fly, one gives deathless for all without hero presence and last gives +1 cast rolls to you and -1 bravery to nearby opponents.

I really hope nighthaunt also gets mini deathless minions in addition to that deep strike.

That's a bit boring that Soulblight get Deathless minions. I'll be very interested to see whether or not Nighthaunt/Flesh-Eater Courts follows suit.

I'm hoping it's not going to set the tone that all Death are going to get that plus one extra thing. It makes them all feel a bit samey, and seems like a crutch because they created these quite powerful abilities for Death and Destruction in GHB1, and now people will complain that others aren't good enough if they lose those.

Personally I would've rathered more unique takes on being 'undead'. Like Soulblight could've gotten a rule like "At the end of each turn, all SOULBLIGHT units within 8" of a SOULBLIGHT HERO heal a wound". Call it supernatural vigour or something, to emphasize the fact that Vampires have super good healing abilities as opposed to being things that can't feel pain (They can).

23 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

A question , in twitch soulblight list the normal vampire on foot have not chalice, warscroll say that it can build chalice too.. Is this an error of the list build?

The model probably didn't have a chalice, so hence, no chalice.

AoS is very WYSIWYG, if you want your freebies like Chalices and shields and what not, you've gotta model them as such.

Archived