Orruks from the past

drjonson

So it finally begins. After a lot of deliberation and pondering I have decided to leap into AoS head first. I have bought and started to assemble a sizeable burgle force, bought a really nice kit from Forge World (Elsbeth von Draken) to be my starting point for a Death army, bought several Battle Tomes, all of the Grand Alliance Books and enjoying the fluff a lot. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of opponents (most play 9th here) so I thought I need a couple of armies to be able to showcase the game and lure some friends to play.

When the Ironjawz/Destruction Grand Alliance dropped I thought the new models were absolutely amazing! My first ever Warhammer Army was an Orc n Goblin Army assembled in the mid 90s, from the edition containing Goblins, High Elves and cardboard monsters. I painted and played with them for several years, my first take at painting, but eventually they got replaced by an Empire Army (and a lot of 40K) and were shelved. Now though came the perfect opportunity to get to use them again!

If I can rebase the stuff I have painted it will make a playable army in a short time, giving me more time to focus on my other projects (Warriors Army for 9th so I can be a part of the local tourny scene, my Nurgle Army for AoS, building and painting the amazing stuff from Silver Tower, playing Warhammer Total War, assemble my Darklands Ysians...as if I'll be done ever).

Started rebasing yesterday, here are some pics of my first test model. Will do a base with grey rocks instead of the purplish ones for comparison (Thanks to Chris Tomlin for the input) and try to post more pics as my old models get new bases. 

IMG_2228 (1).JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

That is actually a good idea Soulsmith! For now I'm planning to leave them as they are with the original paints from mid 90s as the rebasing is a shortcut to get them on the table fast. Maybe I go back later and give them purple weapons. A lot of the painting needs a makeover (have progressed at least a little in 20 years or so) but maybe I just keep them as a historic document. :)

13 hours ago, Stylus said:

I love the 90s metal Savage Orcs (and have around 100 of them in my greenskin army). They're looking good on rounds!

Thanks! I really like them on rounds too, the rebasing is much more enjoyable than I thought. I only got 20 though. :)

What base size for a warboss on Wyvern (the old Azhag model)? 

7 hours ago, Steve Rose said:

I love these classic models. Their charm actually fits well into AOS as they are very individual models so suit the round bases!

Yeah, I agree. Didn't think I would like rebasing them as much as I do. Now I'm looking forward to rebasing some trolls, Wyvern, Giant, Boar Boyz and eventually Moonclan Grots. I guess I'll even start painting up new stuff (got a lot of unpainted old models)!

On 2016-05-31 at 9:57 AM, Dangermouse425 said:

Old models based on rounds look fantastic. I remember wishing I had these Savage Orc models back when I was a young 'un.

Great to see someone putting a modern touch on them. Keep up the good work.

Thank you! They have been stored in a box for many years, it is really fun getting them out again and on the table.

8 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

I'm thinking of seeing if I can snatch up a old wyvern myself, even Gordrakk the Fist of Gork can benefit from a Wingman :-)

Absolutely! :) would like him on a round base though.

Archived