bottle

Hey everyone,

I am planning to get into Warhammer Quest (Hammerhal) this autumn big time. Once I have played through the main adventure in the game I want to have a go at penning my own custom adventures as well as provide a load of rules for running games out in the wilds of the Mortal Realms (a Hinterlands style fan supplement).

In preparation for that I couldn't resist taking a shot at designing my own Adversary table. Take a look:

Adversary---Spirit-Hosts.jpg.ed7783fddc443cbf43d1e1eb21e53951.jpg

The rules are untested and so will likely need some tweaks, but I think I got some cool mechanics for them. Let me know what you think! :)

Cheers,

Bottle

I Like the spirit host table and I think that it is so sweet that you will start making your own misdions. I for one will be looking forward to see how that will play out and will be sure to try them out if given the option.

Having played many hours of WHQ and also created and tested a bunch of exotic adversaries I belive that anyone who's up for the task have a bit of a nut to crack. The thing is that the difficulty of both WHQ Silvertower and Shadows over Hammerhal will go from boringly easy to extremely hard depending on the mix of heroes that make up the adventurers. To my knowledge taking only the heroes that comes with each game will balance things out pretty well. However reality is that many players like to bring their favourite hero from their army and the official rules made for many of such are so powerful that they will become nearly unstoppable.

So if one are going to make custom adversaries I think that they must decide which difficulty level the adversaries should be facing.

I/we have created and tested a Nurgle Plaguelord, a Rotbringer Sorcerer, Plaguedrones, Nurglings Bloab Rotspawned and a Tzaangor Shaman.

Still untested is: Bile Trolls and Herald of Nurgle.

All of these are made to represent real challenges to any hero group but I reckon the main heroes will have a very hard time facing these exotic adversaries. However that suits us just perfect. In my experience games become much more fun once players have to strategically plan their action opose to just rushing in slaying everything in the room and asking for more.

Wow, that's a really informative comment @Greasygeek! Yes, I can see exactly what you are saying about the balance resting with the heroes taken. I think that is why the GM version can really shine because they can tweak the amount of models on the board, and what they face, to hopefully keep everything challenging. In that regard the most important thing is to offer a range of difficulties with the different adversaries. What I really want to try is putting together some "boss" adversaries that have lots of reactive abilities and debuffs like a powerful D&D 4e monster, rather than just being sacks of hit points.

Can't to get started with the game and being able to have more input into the conversations on here. :D 

Yeah the boss feeling was what we aimed for with the hero adversaries too because  vigour punchbag enemies gets old very fast. There are just so much potential in some of these enemies so I think that its about finding a balance between staying true to the AOS profile of a model and making some stuff up that goes with its theme. Like we gave our Plaguelord the ability to infect the player heroes with Rawblight. A powerfull Nurgle disease thats very hard to cure.

SOH because of the GM role has so much potential for serious sandbox gaming. Silvertower was great too but most games of Silvertower we played was very easy and if we Lost its was due to a stream of random encounters. The models, the design and the theme of Silvertower was amazing but to my experience it lacked expanding options once the system was figured out. SOH got all that and more.. 

We're big fans of the new whq, so looking forward to this.

The only initial thought I have is to suggest maybe using the new WHQ font to signify this is a Mortal Realms variant and not an Old World one.

Edit: Personal preference, but I like to go with an illustration over a painted mini for the adversary picture.

@Mr. White Thanks for the comment! Yes the new Warhammer Quest logo would look nice on the page, I'll swap them over when I have enough stuff to put together as a download. I'll keep the miniature picture though to match the other profiles in official books and also to keep the number of borrowed official elements to a minimum. Apart from the aforementioned logo and the page number star every on that page has been built by me (including the miniature photo), so you'll have to put up with my crummy miniatures :-P 

@Greasygeek I agree the GM led version of WHQ has so much potential. I really think a cool system could be built on top. Rules for journeying to different parts of the realms and exploring dungeons with all manners of death, destruction and choas lurking inside! :) 

My son and I play Skirmish, soon Hinterlands, through the WHQ games and the AoS starter. So, we skirmish SE vs khorne, tzeentch, and nurgle. All our models serve double duty in both Skirmish and WHQ.

I planned on getting Flesh Eater Courts and Ironjawz for Skirmish...if they could also be used to stock WHQ dungeons...that'd be fantastic! We'd continue to get a lot of bang for our GW game bucks.

Cheers!!

Hey man, I rebuilt the template from scratch so those are all elements made by myself. Only the WHQ logo and the page star at the bottom are borrowed. I might try and make a shareable template out of it but that will come at a later date when I have time. :) 

On 8/20/2017 at 0:08 PM, TheOtherJosh said:

I recommend changing the adversary numbers to "1 Spirit Host per Player to a Maximum of 3 Spirit Hosts" (much like Flamers/Screamers)

That will allow better support in the Silver Tower. And not affect standard Hammerhal groups.

Thanks Josh, that's a super useful tidbit. I haven't gotten the Silver Tower rules yet to compare but everything I work on for Quest I would be keen to make work in both versions of the game :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party - I just noticed this thread, excellent work Bottle.

Are you planning on using cardboard "rooms" or more conventional battlefield terrain with inches instead of squares to represent the outdoors in your wilds expansion? (assuming the adventures even happen outdoors and not inside a burial cairn or giant tree or whatever)

A whole set of rules for a group of Death adversaries would be a amazing, and a welcome break from Chaos' current monopoly on hanging out in dungeons.

On 06/09/2017 at 2:20 PM, Double Misfire said:

Late to the party - I just noticed this thread, excellent work Bottle.

Are you planning on using cardboard "rooms" or more conventional battlefield terrain with inches instead of squares to represent the outdoors in your wilds expansion? (assuming the adventures even happen outdoors and not inside a burial cairn or giant tree or whatever)

A whole set of rules for a group of Death adversaries would be a amazing, and a welcome break from Chaos' current monopoly on hanging out in dungeons.

I was thinking keeping everything grid based, but making downloadable/printable areas that are much bigger than the ones in the box because I am really keen for there to be rooms that can cater to behemoths. I also thought grid based outdoors environments would be fun. GMs could get a roll of 1.5" grid paper to use for fireside ambushes and other larger outdoors environments.

What do you guys think? I would certainly like to also include a conversion chart for playing with inches too.

I need to get cracking! I am meant to get my Kaioric Acolytes and some Brinstones done this month so I can get started but I am also roped into a 40k Escalation and need to finish up my Genestealer Cult!

• 4 weeks later...
On September 8, 2017 at 8:52 AM, bottle said:

I was thinking keeping everything grid based, but making downloadable/printable areas that are much bigger than the ones in the box because I am really keen for there to be rooms that can cater to behemoths. I also thought grid based outdoors environments would be fun. GMs could get a roll of 1.5" grid paper to use for fireside ambushes and other larger outdoors environments.

What do you guys think? I would certainly like to also include a conversion chart for playing with inches too.

I need to get cracking! I am meant to get my Kaioric Acolytes and some Brinstones done this month so I can get started but I am also roped into a 40k Escalation and need to finish up my Genestealer Cult!

It would sure be cool if you had environments for the SOH random encounter charts in the city. I'd like to get my group drunk and fight in an ale house!

1 hour ago, ampersand said:

i did offer to make tiles to support peoples quest making....nobody took up the offer

New tiles

You did and I was going to ask you, but there are so many tiles that would be cool to have so I decided that I needed to be futher in my adventurmaking before asking for help. However outdoor tiles and inside small wooden buildings and taverns will be most welcome. IMO these can be used by anyone designing new adventures.

22 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

You did and I was going to ask you, but there are so many tiles that would be cool to have so I decided that I needed to be futher in my adventurmaking before asking for help. However outdoor tiles and inside small wooden buildings and taverns will be most welcome. IMO these can be used by anyone designing new adventures.

not wanting to hijack this thread too much..but feel free to throw me some specs and ideas and ill happily take them onboard :)

of course having a solid purpose does help in design (ie special area of a quest and so on)

Greate thread guys! I just bought SOH this week and have been playing alot of ST over the last year. I noticed that rules for Tzaangors are there but not any other from ST. Is it problem free to just use the adversaries scrolls from ST in SOH? I think I saw that Kairic Acolytes could potentially summon a Pink Horror but the rules for it wasn't in the SOH book.

It would be cool to be able to throw in the cooler adversaries like the Deathrunner, Ogroid and the Gaunt Summoner without to much hassle, has anyone tried this?

Archived