Elfhead getting things painted (update: classic high elves)

elfhead

I added some more Nurgle to my collection. I had an idea and ordered some bits. Inspired by the awesome game 'The last of us' I created a Nurgly version of the clikcer and bloater. In the game humans get infected by a kind of fungus (cordyceps) that turns them into zombie-like creatures that make clicking sound as a sonar (may sound silly, is terrifying).

I thouhgt fungus taking over a body fits Nurgle perfectly so I had a lot of fun with a plaguebearer, blight king and lots of green stuff. Painting these guys is very different to painting elves. the plaguebearer is really quick to paint. I love doing large flesh areas and the bloater was the first time I tried NMM copper.

nurgle bloaternurgle clicker front 

medium.048924FB-689E-4E16-B029-45CAA1F83medium.A84A7777-224A-4F2F-9FE2-3D5A71B2B

medium.1DB3C490-232C-4C5B-A6A3-81EFA3F6D

groupshot of my nurgly warband (including an infected dryad and AoS-ified  40k lord of blights

• Like 21

@Mordeus Thanks! I like the orange too, works great with the  green of the armour and the flesh tones. I hardly ever use orange so it was a nice change of color palette. 

@Kronos blind heads Otten help to punch up the creepiness. I also like blind faces on Tzeentch daemons. The blightking head is actually from the blightking kit. It’s one of the daemonic heads, I think his smile really fits.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

sorry @Mordeus and @KnaveOfScribes but I'll probably won't be making any more of these Nurgly dudes. I like the concept but I really don't have the time to do an entire army of these. I do these small projects to get the idea out of my system. That way I stay motivated. I'm now back at working on my Slaaneshi elves, so I'll be updating that thread soon...

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

It has been a long time sine I posted something, but finally I found the time for some painting. I finally got to paint some of the brand new elves (I like elves, did you notice?). the Deepkin thralls are fantastic models and I really enjoyed painting them and figuring out a color scheme.  I won't be doing an entire army of them, not even a decent sized unit. although the models are gorgeous, it has become somewhat harder to do conversions because the models are a lot more complicated than they used to be in 6th ed. when arms legs body and head were all loose components you could easily swap out. 

I did do a conversion though, a fun idea I have had for a long time and just made perfect sense with these new elves living in the depths of the sea...

SZruokkl.jpg

40aC3Cdl.jpg SArpStIl.jpg QH6bk1ll.jpg

drqXAIql.jpg 5K0j1Usl.jpg

To fit in with the deepkin I painted and converted this scourge privateer banner. I love this banner because it is so big an that octopus banner top is one of my favorite designs for dark elves ever.

272L73jl.jpg d7ss45pl.jpg

j5qOBSVl.jpg sgfT14ml.jpg

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

@terrainguy, @Tommy, @Circus of Paint, @syph0n thanks so much!

the NMM on the banner, the gold, is mournfang brown, 50/50 mournfang brown and balor brown, balor brown and then various amounts of white mixed in with balor brown, working up to pure white higlights. followed by a glaze of flash gitz yellow mixed with water and lahmian medium, for the shading a glaze of xereus purple with lahmian medium and water. followed by a final highlight of white.

the black was higlighted with black mixed with 'the fang', then higlighted with pure 'the fang', mixed with white for the final highlights. finally a glaze of kantor blue mixed with water and lahmian medium.

I use a wet pallette and usually gradually mix up the colors, so the recipe may not be spot on, but you get the idea. 

• Thanks 2

@Curry_Supreme, well the skin was a lot of trail and error. I actually painted the skin of the first thrall three times over. I wanted it to be cold and pale, but also have some realism.

As you might have noticed the skin is different on all of the thralls, because I don have a single clear process for the skin. I use skintones (kislev flesh and pallid wich flesh) mixed with kantor blue or mephiston red (sometimes even a little yellow) in various amounts and then mixing in more kislev flesh and then highlighting up to pallid wych flesh and some white mixed in for the final highlights. 

I start out by roughly deviding the skin areas with kislev flesh mixed with a either a  tiny amount of kantor blue or mephiston red. Raised areas or 'warm' areas of skin get the red base, the lower or 'cold' parts get the blue base. 'warm' areas are the hands, elbows, face and ears. After basing it's basically mixing in more flesh tones to build up the skintones. Sometimes I used a glaze (watered down red or blue mixed with lahmian medium) to change the skintones slightly. this way you get all kinds of different hues and shades in your skincolor.

I hope this makes sense?

What you need to remember is that skin isn't one color, it has all kind of different hues. Also, a shadow/shade isn just darker, it is a different color alltogether. I guess this is true for all areas of a model you paint though. If you look at the green on the thralls I glazed the highlights with yellow and enhanced the shading with a glaze of blue. 

pictures like this also helped me a lot:MartinGuldbaek_Agent-0047_FaceColors_WIP

hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Easygrin thanks!

At the moment I'm enjoying several weeks of holiday, so a lot more hobby-time than usual. I took a look at my 'backlog' to see if there was something I'd like t paint. I find I sometimes lose my enthusiasm for painting something, but it often comes back later. I still have some Skaven and High elves from the Island of blood lying around. It's been a while since I painted Skaven so I assembled the Warlock engineer still on the sprue. I wanted to try a slightly different color scheme, inspired by Technasma (check him out on Instagram). although the color scheme is unusual it makes a lot of sense, with the copper armor contrasting with the blue/green warpstone and the bright yellow contrasting with the subtle purple tones in the robe and skin. It was a lot of fun trying out some of the colors I have but hardly ever use...

Let me know what you think of this guy:

sDqydUmm.jpg EaPWpYGm.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

@Easygrin thank you very much!

My holiday is over, so my hobby time will be diminished... But I got some stuff to show you: I painted one of the fantastic Ellyrian Reavers from the Island of blood box. I really like these models, but I wasn up to paint the entire unit. I altered the reins somewhat, I think they look better without the 'curtains' on them...

I tried to paint this guy really clean. I think the NMM turned out pretty good. The helmet was the biggest challenge. I also added a little texture to the leather. 

Let me know what you think.

5eVZpNZl.jpg

zjUJ8kbl.jpg

Da9hEgol.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 1 month later...

Seems like I start a lot of my posts with a story about how little hobby time I have... But at least I finished something I've really enjoyed. Inspired by the images of inhabitants of the mortal realms in the new rulebook and the amazing series of stories for malign portents. I made a conversion representing what I think is a ' Geistcaller'.

Hope you like him, let me know!

2TKtT3il.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for leaving a comment @KnaveOfScribes. I find it always helps to keep the hobby juices going:P

I got round to painting some of my oldest models. A high elf repeater boltthrower and a mage. These guys have been on the table a lot, when I still played (around 6th ed. of warhammer fantasy). It was a lot of fun re-painting them. Here they are:

WWqbN8Ll.jpg

KpVaCTfl.jpg

waedgEml.jpg lPtmFwTl.jpg

after this I went back to my Slaaneshi creations, I'll be updating my other thread sometime in the near future.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

• elfhead changed the title to Elfhead getting things painted (update: classic high elves)
  • 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Easygrin said:

Its a very late reply but your elves all look great. Hope you are still making new ones.

I’m still painting and converting stuff, although I don’t have a lot of time for it. I’m also started an Etsy shop selling 3d prints, including lots of heads for elves and even complete models and units. 
I post my stuff on Instagram, you can find me as Elfhead3D