The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Gaz Taylor

@UnderworldsOnly Your sequence looks correct, except that you don’t replace the Brimstone Horrors model with the Blue Horror model; the Blue Horror needs to be summoned again. (I am confident the Nine will have a ploy that summons the Blue Horror, just like the Guard and the Swarm have ploys that duplicate their return-to-play action.)

I like what GW has done to counter the current meta. Rather than design straight-up counters to Great Concussion, Trap, Twist the Knife, and the like, they’ve introduced new play styles and warbands that make some of these cards unnecessary. Expanding the range of playstyles makes it more difficult for players to build “one deck to rule them all.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tutenkharnage said:

I like what GW has done to counter the current meta. Rather than design straight-up counters to Great Concussion, Trap, Twist the Knife, and the like, they’ve introduced new play styles and warbands that make some of these cards unnecessary. Expanding the range of playstyles makes it more difficult for players to build “one deck to rule them all.”

I agree with that they are diversifying into interesting, playable warbands but they have to be careful not to just create warbands with lots of little models which is happening with Tzeentsch, Chainrasps and (apparently) Gits. There has to be a balance with enough smaller, tougher groups.

Sold.

I've won my local GW tourney once already and this is exactly the warband I'm looking for to just have fun from now on.  The fanatic might be my favorite fighter they have ever released!  The scurry rule is also really cool.  I expect a lot of fun deckbuilds with these guys

This new Grot warband has some interesting mechanics in it. I remember brainstorming that a faction could have different inspiring conditions within itself and I was chided rather harshly on reddit. I look forward to seeing how these new warbands will play, all the future Nightvault releases are appealing to me and I want to pick them all up this go around.

56 minutes ago, Desidus said:

Wait wait, with Scurry, can you combo charge?

No, but if you take a Charge action with a fighter that begins he activation next to a fighter with Scurry, you can have the first fighter take the Move action as part of the Charge, use Scurry as a reaction to take a Move action with the second fighter, keep chaining to other adjacent fighters as a reaction to the last fighter who took a Move action, and then resolve the first fighter’s Attack action as part of the Charge action. 

Hope that makes sense. I think it’s accurate. And since Scurry is a reaction, you can’t take a Move action with the middle model of a group of three and then use Scurry to take a Move action with the other two (because the first fighter to use Scurry will do so as a reaction to the original fighter’s Move action, and the next fighter would have to use Scurry to react to the Move action of the fighter that just used Scurry, who would not have been adjacent at the start of that fighter’s Move action).

(Whew!)

9 minutes ago, Tutenkharnage said:

No, but if you take a Charge action with a fighter that begins he activation next to a fighter with Scurry, you can have the first fighter take the Move action as part of the Charge, use Scurry as a reaction to take a Move action with the second fighter, keep chaining to other adjacent fighters as a reaction to the last fighter who took a Move action, and then resolve the first fighter’s Attack action as part of the Charge action. 

Hope that makes sense. I think it’s accurate. And since Scurry is a reaction, you can’t take a Move action with the middle model of a group of three and then use Scurry to take a Move action with the other two (because the first fighter to use Scurry will do so as a reaction to the original fighter’s Move action, and the next fighter would have to use Scurry to react to the Move action of the fighter that just used Scurry, who would not have been adjacent at the start of that fighter’s Move action).

(Whew!)

Yes that makes sense, however, isn't a charge a move action followed by an attack action? 

The wording on this isn't fantastic and probably needs to be FAQ'd to prevent disagreements. 

Im 99% sure it would work the way you have described, which also makes it very interesting to get support for your charge activations. 

I think the inculsion of not being able to use Scurry when they have tokens is important, as their movement would potentially be too good with a card like Ready for Action. 

4 hours ago, Reggi said:

It is, that's why you can move others in chain when you charge with one.

I already agreed that, that was the case, what I'm stating is that if a charge is a move action followed by an attack action, arguably you could make multiple charges with Scurry.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:08 PM, Gash Bauer said:

I might be a bit out of the loop regarding announcements to rules changes, but today's WC article on the old 8 warbands just stated this in the Sepulchral Guard section.

In practice, this means that when you bring back a Sepulchral Guard fighter from the dead, they have no tokens – meaning they’re free to act again as you wish.

I think this is a great change for not only them but the skaven too.

Hi, just new to TGA.

Found quoted posting, just a few days old. Couldn't find the announcement you've been talking of. Maybe you could post a link?

56 minutes ago, Desidus said:

I already agreed that, that was the case, what I'm stating is that if a charge is a move action followed by an attack action, arguably you could make multiple charges with Scurry.

Scurry explicitly allows you take a Move action. It does not allow you to take a Charge action; therefore, you can’t. 

2 hours ago, Desidus said:

You can't do multiple charges, only moves. Unless you used wrong words. Multiple charges would mean move with multiple fighters and then attack with multiple fighters.

Charge is move and then attack. What means that you do charge with fighter, first he moves so you can do Scurry reaction and move another fighter and so on every fighter on chain and then you attack with that first fighter (only with him!). So you are doing charge with first fighter and move multiple fighters as reaction with Scurry to first part of charge action (move). You can't make attack with all of them, only the first one that was activate and he used charge action. Scurry don't allow to attack or charge, only move, so you can't charge cuz first fighter is doing charge, only move cuz first part of charge is move.

Wording is ok on this ability. You just mixing abilities wording from rulebook. If you doing move reaction to move from charge, your reaction move don't change to charge. It's still move and nothing more.

It's similar to Quick Thinking card. When enemy fighter is using charge, after he moved, but before his attack you can play that ploy as reaction to move to move your fighter.

TL;DR: multiple charges you can't do. One charge and multiple moves you can do.

Edited by Reggi

17 minutes ago, Tutenkharnage said:

New FAQ is up!

https://warhammerunderworlds.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2018/10/warhammer_underworlds_en.pdf

I didn’t think Time Trap needed a boost, but the new token system seems to have given it one. (If you can’t see it, Time Trap now allows you to take two Charge actions with the same fighter.)

And that is how it should work from start. In previus faq i was wondering why you can't charge after it. Charge is Move action and Attack action, but charge token prevent only activation (its not treated as move token even that you did move as part of charge), so if you can do action without activation with that fighter you should be able to do any action. Glad that now it works how card is worded.

Edited by Reggi

On 10/4/2018 at 3:25 PM, Reggi said:

And that is how it should work from start. In previus faq i was wondering why you can't charge after it. Charge is Move action and Attack action, but charge token prevent only activation (its not treated as move token even that you did move as part of charge), so if you can do action without activation with that fighter you should be able to do any action. Glad that now it works how card is worded.

In Shadespire, you couldn’t use Time Trap to take consecutive Charge actions because the rules for a Move action explicitly said that a fighter who had already taken a Move action couldn’t take a Charge action. (Tokens didn’t matter.) The new FAQ implies that under the Nightvault rules, having a Move token prevents a fighter from taking a Charge action, but having a Charge token will not. This leaves us in a weird spot: you can’t use Time Trap to Move and Charge up the battlefield, but you can use it to take a Charge action against an intervening an model and then take another Charge action with the same fighter against a target much further upfield even though a Move action, by almost any definition, is less powerful than a Charge action  

This is going to be all fun and games until a tournament player wipes out four fighters in a single activation with an inspired Karsus, Time Trap, and two charges. I think I understand where the game designers are coming from logically: a ploy that lets you take “an action” should be less restrictive than one that lets you take one or more specific actions. But I don’t think it’s going to be great for the game. If it gets out of hand, o suppose they can simply amend the Nightvault rulebook so that it uses the old Shadespire language: “A fighter that makes a Move action cannot make another Move action (or a Charge action) in that action phase.” This doesn’t mesh as well with their newfound preference for using tokens to indicate model states, but the FAQ entries for March of the Dead and Hidden Paths already illustrate that they’re going to have problems making these rulings consistent no matter what they do. As long as they eventually land on the least bad option, I’ll be happy. (Kind of sad to see my newfound Light-footed/Superior Agility tech rendered useless against Time Trap, though!)

On 10/4/2018 at 11:20 AM, Shitting Bull said:

Hi, just new to TGA.

Found quoted posting, just a few days old. Couldn't find the announcement you've been talking of. Maybe you could post a link?

Latest update to the FAQ on the Warhammer Community site.

Returning models lose all counters but keep upgrades, nice boost for Skaven and the Sepulchral Guard (not to mention the Blue Horror in the upcoming Eyes of the Nine)!

• 3 weeks later...

This really looks like a crazy band. The stalag/Mushroom Squigs may even be stationary (because Stalictites & Mushrooms don't move), the bat squig likely has 4-5 move and I have no idea for the troll. They are generally slow and hit hard which is borne out in the text. I wonder how he inspires and what he does?