The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Gaz Taylor

I don't follow AoS, but the new Stormcast in that article feature the anvil-lightning bolt icon on the new card preview  so it seems certain they'll be what we're looking at in the new Shadespire release.  I hope we get a diverse warband... using the names from that article, maybe a Knight-Incantor as leader, plus a Castigator and Sequitor (or two)?  Guys with different stats/abilities like the Sepulchral Guard and Spiteclaw's Swarm, less like the Farstriders who are all fairly similar.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, Daveman said:

I hope we get a diverse warband... using the names from that article, maybe a Knight-Incantor as leader, plus a Castigator and Sequitor (or two)?  Guys with different stats/abilities like the Sepulchral Guard and Spiteclaw's Swarm, less like the Farstriders who are all fairly similar.

SO MUCH THIS ^

They need to start recognizing Shadespire as a game in it's own right. Having similar models make sense for putting them in AoS, but for Shadespire it's an actual problem that some of the models look the same. I'm looking at you, dwarfs!
They really should make sure each fighter is a unique character. And no that doesn't mean each fighter must be a huge pimped out champion. They can be rank and file and still have character. Also, please make some coherence between the models and their rules (Skaven literally holding a shield isn't the one using shields for defense)

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to those boards!

The text mentions "bottomless pits" and "hidden blades". In the images I can see red hexagons around flames and blueish stars. Hopefully that means that the aforementioned dangers are on the backside of the boards displayed.

11 hours ago, Eib.Almera said:

Looking forward to those boards!

The text mentions "bottomless pits" and "hidden blades". In the images I can see red hexagons around flames and blueish stars. Hopefully that means that the aforementioned dangers are on the backside of the boards displayed.

In the right board you can see some hexagons with a white border. I would guess these are the bottomless pits, while the hexagons with the red borders may deal damage to any fighter entering/finishing an activation there?

So much looking forward to using these boards and leader cards!

1 hour ago, RafaBO said:

In the right board you can see some hexagons with a white border. I would guess these are the bottomless pits, while the hexagons with the red borders may deal damage to any fighter entering/finishing an activation there?

At first I thought the same about the white-bordered hexes. But if you look closely the artwork behind the upper white hex shows a tipped-over cauldron from which the flames of the red hex flow.

Then again, the bottom white hex could be a pit. And the text mentions only "board", not "boards". So I'm hoping for two reversible boards, but I'm expecting a single board. :)

I'm actually most excited about the generic card sleeves because I can't be bothered to look for decent ones from other brands.

My guess is the white hexes are just blocked hexes like the normal boards. And I also think the boards are double sided. If you look closely at the white hexes, the one next to the fire/red hex looks like a tipped over cauldron. And the other white hex looks like it could be an empty cauldron just sitting there.

Edited by Anthony225

11 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

My guess is the white hexes are just blocked hexes like the normal boards. And I also think the boards are double sided. If you look closely at the white hexes, the one next to the fire/red hex looks like a tipped over cauldron. And the other white hex looks like it could be an empty cauldron just sitting there.

Absolutely. Thick white border means a blocked hex.

I wonder if these in actuality  only has ONE new mechanic: Red danger hexes.
I kinda doubt we'll have rules for hidden blades, pit traps and fire. It's all just different artwork for the same mechanic if you ask me. 

• Like 1

Good point, I missed that tipped over cauldron.

The picture just shows two boards (both sides of the same board maybe?), but I hope they include at least 2 reversible boards. Otherwise calling it a "board pack" may be too generous :D

In the preview they talk about " introducing lethal terrain to the game", so you may be right and it may be just red = lethal.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/28/white-dwarf-preview-updates-for-warhammer-board-games/

I'm thrilled they're putting out more content to help tide us over until whatever they're going to call the next "wave" comes out, but I'm not sure why I'd choose a board with hostile terrain on it as "my" board.  Maybe if I'm playing defensive, but even then I'd be hesitant to have dangers close to me.  As if we needed another reason to put more push ploys in the deck.

Looks like that mostly hidden objective card is "The Stage is Set"?  Reading what's there it looks like it scores 2-3 points if the only surviving fighters are leaders?

2 hours ago, Daveman said:

but I'm not sure why I'd choose a board with hostile terrain on it as "my" board.  Maybe if I'm playing defensive, but even then I'd be hesitant to have dangers close to me.  As if we needed another reason to put more push ploys in the deck.

I'd say it very much depends on the actual rules for this. If it can help me kill faster, perhaps it's a risk worth taking?
Imagine an Earthquake/Great Concussion combo... And like THAT the entire enemy warband fell into the rotating blades ?

On 6/29/2018 at 8:16 AM, ReynakZhen said:

Looks like shardfall is going to be more popular if it can be placed over these dangerous hexes to keep fighters from being pushed into them.

It's already a must-take for me. This just reinforces that.

Super excited!

I'm crossing my fingers that the Leader cards are a clever way to adress balance issues without having to redo cards.

Example:

Chosen Axes and Sepulchral Guard feel like they should be focusing on objective play, but because of the ease with which that style can be casually neutered, it's tough for them to do that.

What if there is a card for Fjul called something like "I'm Watching You" that says when other Chosen Axes have Line of Sight to Fjul, they cannot be pushed off of objectives?

Just a thought.

It would be a nice way to boost certain things back to a playable level.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

More info on the new board: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/01/next-weeks-pre-orders-cards-teams-and-more/

From Warhammer Community:

The Shattered City board pack contains a single double-sided tile that opens up all sorts of new strategies, featuring new starting hexes, blocked tiles and, for the first time, lethal hexes. These hexes deal a single point of damage to any fighter passing through them, whether with a move action or by being driven back, and are incredibly rewarding in the hands of the cunning (or brutal) player. With Ironjawz, you could direct your Charge through one of these hexes to Inspire your fighters, while The Farstriders could try and lure their enemies into a deadly trap before thrusting them back into lethal hexes. We’ll be previewing just what these tiles mean for your games next week in more detail.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eib.Almera said:

With Ironjawz, you could direct your Charge through one of these hexes to Inspire your fighters

Great. Just what the Easy Button of Shadespire needs.

I was really hoping to see new things added to balance the Orruks, not make them better.

I feel very much like Obi Wan. "You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not destroy it." 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Great. Just what the Easy Button of Shadespire needs.

I was really hoping to see new things added to balance the Orruks, not make them better.

I feel very much like Obi Wan. "You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not destroy it." 

In general, I will gladly trade a certain point of damage on an order fighter that gives him a chance to inflict an extra point of damage when he attacks my fighter. (In particular cases, this can be the difference between wounding a fighter and taking the fighter out of action, but the odds of success are much less than 100%.)

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

How? 

Maybe it only works in my own case. I have only one person I play Shadespire with and we share a base set.

Say I know my opponent likes to charge his Orruks through a danger hex. If I'm the first to choose a board, I can choose the one with the blue stars and keep the danger hexes to my back, lessening the chance of a charge through such a hex.

The new board with the 2 blocked hexes and 2 hazard hexes looks intriguing to me. You can, in theory, sit back with a warband like sepulchral guard and use push/knockback effects to toss the enemy into the hazard hexes. If I were to try this, and I may, I would use objective based objective cards to sit on objectives while the enemy comes to me. I would use push ploys as well as shardfall as adding another blocked hex wherever I want seems interesting. 

With the prince you could knockback an enemy through a hazard and then they'd possibly have to go back through the hazard to get to you again. And having friendly models die isn't as detrimental as you can always bring them back! If you're worried about the Warden dying early you could use hidden paths to get away. 

The thought of the enemy running around in my territory while being pushed into hazards and skeletons popping up here and there, all while their "fearless" Warden leader is having a picnic in enemy territory all by his lonesome, seems very satisfying to me.